Lightning Poll: Jay Cutler, Where do you Stand?

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler walks off the field after the NFC Championship NFL football game against the Green Bay Packers Sunday, Jan. 23, 2011, in Chicago. The Packers won 21-14.

We all remember Jay Cutler, right?  The kid from Santa Clause, IN who jumped across our state to play at Vandy.  The guy who went 1-3 in his career against Kentucky.  And that was during our probation years.  The guy who was so loved at his orginal NFL team they traded his rear to the Bears for a mid-level replacement, Kyle Orton.  He’s the guy who Bears fans love to hate for his huge amount of interceptions and his minimal interaction with the public.  They “love” him so much, Rick Reilly wrote this lovely little piece on Cutler, maybe as harsh an article as I have seen.

And then last Sunday, the fit hit the shan for Cutler when he left the NFC Championship in the 3rd quarter with a knee injury.  A knee injury that has been diagnosed as a serious sprain.

People have gotten worked up on this story on 2 fronts: That Cutler did not fight through the injury and play in an attempt to get his team to the Super Bowl.  And secondly, that while on the sideline, Cutler appeared uninterested and showed a lack of support for his teammates.

On the first front, if Cutler was truly hurt where he couldn’t plant to throw the ball, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  Most QB’s would have stayed out there, but Cutler choose to give the reins to another guy.  I question what kind of team leader that makes him, but only he knows how the knee felt.  You could argue that he thought he was injured enough that he couldn’t help the team, thus he gave it to another guy.  And as a sidenote, Cutler had played like hot dog water up to that point, so the Bears were not going to win with him.

On the second point though, to just stand on the sidelines with your big coat on and not talk to the backups who were playing, or seem excited when the Bears were making a comeback, IS LAME!!  I don’t care what Cutler’s personality is.  He might be the shyest guy in the world.  But, to not at least FAKE excitement would make me question his leadership qualities.  It’s as if Cutler said that if he couldn’t make a direct impact on the game then he checked out mentally.  That is pitiful.

So my question to you is simple: DID YOU LOSE RESPECT FOR JAY CUTLER ON SUNDAY?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

70 Comments for Lightning Poll: Jay Cutler, Where do you Stand?

1. wildcat fan here
    5:06 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

1st!!!

2. LuKER
    5:07 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Free Cutler!

3. abcd
    5:07 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

got to have respect before you can lose it

4. wildcat fan here
    5:08 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

wow. its been a while since that happend. No, did not lose respect for Cutler. If anything has happend that will throw off you accuracy against that defense, you notify the coaches and get out. Had they won I’m sure he would have been excited. But it was pretty bleak most of the way.

5. Stewart
    5:08 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

its pretty simple, cutler is not a winner

6. so what
    5:09 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

No, I didnt lose any respect for him. Mainly because i had none to begin with

7. Jon Allen WKU
    5:11 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

lose respect..if your knee is heart ok then sit ur ass down, but to pull a LT and sit on the sidelines and sulk because the world around you is realizing that you indeed suck is pitiful. grow a pair jay and atleast guide your backups…this guy apologizes to bears fans

8. Kyle
    5:13 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

No, because I don’t know if I could make it through one down in the NFL without dying.

9. Dazzlin Dave
    5:15 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I didn’t lose any respect for the dude, you have to respect someone to lose respect and I didn’t before and I dont now.

10. lhw
    5:16 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

No, I didn’t have any to begin with.

11. Shootin' Blanks
    5:16 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

6) Agree…and I’m a Bears fan

12. student
    5:16 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

If you want to play in the NFL, toughen up. I’m sure that the Brett Favre had worse injuries and kept on playing till he retired. That whats make him a legend.

13. your mom
    5:16 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

all this from a couple of glimpses from the tele. real nice.

14. Jorge Pancho
    5:17 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

The man has Type 1 diabetes. Every time he takes the field, he risks more than 99.9% of his fellow players. Enough of this nonsense. As long as his coach and teammates support him – and they strongly do – those jealous fools who wish they were playing in the NFC Championship can go to hell.

15. Nassau65
    5:18 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

he makes more than i do, he can do as he pleases.

16. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    5:20 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

10- THAT!

17. oldcatfan
    5:21 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I’ve never liked Cutler going back to his Vandy days.

18. Eric B.
    5:23 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Hearing Jay Cutler’s name always reminded me of Alan Cutler.

19. beau9738
    5:25 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

14– Finally someone who makes a little sense! All the internet or talk show radio tough guys who tweet about what a wuss Cutler is are probably the same people who bitch and moan about Coach Cal and UK… They don’t know anything. Cutler was hurt or he wouldn’t have come out. You think a pro athlete in any sport gets to what could turn out to be his/her biggest game to date if not career and not play while in front of millions of friend familiy and fans? I don’t buy it. I am no Cutler fan but come on!

20. Kate
    5:26 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Huge Bears fan but didn’t much care for Cutler before the game Sunday. Now, if possible, I dislike him even more! He makes me miss Grossman and that is SAD!

21. Flavor of the Meeks
    5:28 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Quoted from the second article, referring to Olin Kreutz, the Bears’ well-respected and 6x Pro Bowl center:
    “I didn’t even think he was going to finish the half. When he came back to try it again, that amazed me. It was shaking right after he took the hit and walked back in the huddle. It was swinging like this [waving his hand back and forth]. So I knew one of his ligaments probably went. I can’t remember exactly what play it was. I know it was the second quarter. I remember him walking in the huddle, and I saw it shaking like this. I said, ‘Ah, man.'”

BTI, everyone, check around before you make statements about Cutler “giving away the reins” or “having no heart” (whatever “heart” is). Cutler went back out on a bad knee, he tried to play through it, and he was obviously ineffective. The coaches and medical staff decided to pull him from the game. I have never been a Cutler fan, as I’ve always felt he was overrated (though not for a lack of toughness or whatever cliché, non-statistically-based term you want to use), but this is getting ridiculous. Is he a very good quarterback? Not really. Does he deserve to be crucified by journalists and his peers because he couldn’t play at his usual slightly above-average level on a torn MCL (check your medical terminology, an MCL sprain is the same thing as a tear)? No. Give the guy a break.

22. Jmet80
    5:31 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Cutler is a Puss…. I agree with 6. Lost all respect when he was at Denver… all the talent no brains… what a waste

23. Ashley Judd
    5:33 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Yeah I was trying to figure out who had any respect for the guy anyway. Especially since you are writing on KSR not Chicago Sports radio. Come on now. Nobody cares about the Cutler and the Bears really. I can’t believe Green Bay is opening as a 2.5 pt favorite as a 6 seed that made it. They may very well win but that is disrespecting the Steelers who get it done in the playoffs. I ain’t a fan of either but I know where my money will be..

24. He went to Vandy for a Reason
    5:36 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Because you have to have respect for someone in the first place to lose it…no. In terms of the respect number line, he may have gotten to a -6 to Eli Manning’s -5.

25. Flavor of the Meeks
    5:39 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Also, BTI, did you actually read that Rick Reilly article?

“What he is is an RPG-armed, 27-year-old Vanderbilt product who dates a reality TV star named Kristin Cavallari, battles Type 1 diabetes every day, and doesn’t care who understands him and who doesn’t. He’s a giving person who does things behind the scenes and hates it when he gets found out. A few days before Christmas, he and Cavallari brought presents for an entire ward of sick hospital kids. A reporter for the Sun-Times got wind of it and asked him about it. Cutler refused to discuss it.

He’s a battler who’s done amazingly well considering the swinging saloon-door offensive line he has to play behind. The man has been sacked more times this season (52) than in his three seasons in Denver combined (51). Yet he never complains.”

Yes, extremely harsh, maybe as harsh an article as I have ever seen. All the article really says is that he is what he is and doesn’t really care if anyone likes him.

26. Tampa Gal
    5:41 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I don’t care for him either way, and if he felt that he needed to come out or that he would hinder his team by staying in, then fine. No problem- his knee, his call (or coach/med staff’s call).
    The problem I had was what he didn’t do after he came out of the game. A quarterback is supposed to be the team leader, the captain. If he wasn’t going into the locker room for the duration, then he should have gotten some crutches and stood by the offensive coordinator, the backups and assisted in any way he could. To just sit there, moping and showing disinterest could not have helped the rest of the team’s morale. We’ve seen many quarterbacks get hurt, and the great ones always stay active on the sidelines if they can’t stay in the game. I’m sure he was PO’d that he couldn’t play, so why didn’t he do anything else he possibly could have, even if that meant only pats on the rears and “go team”‘s just to encourage his guys?

27. Hunter1249
    5:41 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

This has to be the most overblown subject of the year and I could care less about the Bears and Cutler.

28. Jerimy
    5:43 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

It’s hard to lose respect when you didn’t have much to start with. Perception is he is weaker than Eloy, which is saying alot. I think Eloy could post up on his weak ass.

29. fuzz
    5:44 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I’ve had knee surgery twice. ACL rupture and scope sucks. If the guys knee was F’d up for real people should leave him alone. That shit hurts bad. NFL QB’s cannot play through that. I have no opinion on him as a player. I like NFL but dont have a team.

30. Seneca
    5:50 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Who cares? This is a UK website.

31. better question
    6:04 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

does one have more respect for cutler or BTI?

32. Doc Lolliday
    6:06 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Anyone who lost respect for him for sitting out(which was the team doctors orders) needs to go outside and strain there mcl real quick then do a QB drop with the hurt leg as there back(plant) foot. I know that isn’t an actual feasible request but im just saying that as someone who has had that exact injury…it freaking hurts. There is no planting or lateral movement with an mcl injury. Now the sitting on sidelines seemingly sulking is a different story. Although the 3rd string did say Cutler came over and talked to him a few times.

33. Blue Heaven
    6:22 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Cutler has always been a douche bag and proved it big time. If I were a teammate I would have punched him in the head.

34. Blue Heaven
    6:23 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

#32 Jack Youngblood of the Rams played with a broken leg he suffered in the first half of the NFC Championship game back in the 1970’s. Then he went on to play in the Super Bowl with the same broken leg. And he was on the defensive line. So cut the boo hoo crap about how bad a sprained MCL hurts.

35. ukfastkat
    6:28 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

The best response to all this nonsense ironically came from Mr. Nonsense himself;one Charles Barkley.
    He said athletes don’t question and should never question another athlete’s heart, whatever that is.
    He did call out several of Cutler’s critics quite correctly.
    Then, he called out Cutler himself for not being in the third-stringer’s ear and by his side for the rest of the game.
    That seems about right.
    Now, is it too late to FREE ENES?

36. ukfastkat
    6:31 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Link to Barkley comments:

Now, hell with all that and…

BEAT GEORGIA!

37. john4uk
    6:35 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Hey Bryan,when fif you become God,or gor that matter a medical expert on knee injuries?

38. Flavor of the Meeks
    6:36 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

34. Okay enough of this macho stuff. I’m not sure if you know this, but Youngblood had a hairline fracture of his tibia. It is possible, albeit extremely painful, to play on that without it having an effect on your play — it’s not like he snapped his tibia or something. It seems to me you’re trying to equate this to a minor sprained ankle that you or I would get while playing pickup basketball. Cutler tore his medial collateral ligament (an MCL sprain is a tear). If you’re unsure what that is, it is the ligament that prevents your leg from bending inward too much at the knee. If that ligament is torn, a quarterback will not be able to effectively plant and throw the ball. The leg will give too much and he will not be able to put anything on his throws. He might as well just stand dead still and make a throw with only his arm. It’s not a matter of how much an injury hurts, it’s a matter of how much an injury affects your ability to play. The coaches and medical staff determined that the injury was having too much of an effect on his playing ability and they pulled him. Read the article I posted as #21. Cutler didn’t take himself out, the coaches did. Do your homework next time before judging someone.

39. john4uk
    6:37 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Correction,
    Het Bryan,
    When did you become God,or for that matter,a medical expert on knee injuries?

40. BlueDNA
    6:39 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

As Bob Dylan said “When you ain’t got nothin’, you got nothin’ to lose”.

41. Bring Matt Back
    6:39 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Bryan the intern. this is kentuckysportsradio.com idiot. not bearssportsradio. leave this site, you dont belong here

42. Bryan the Intern
    6:52 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

41) Nah, I think I’ll stay a while longer.

43. BlueHeaven
    7:00 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

#38. I know what a sprained MCL is and I know that Big Ben, Brett Favre and other QB’s would have had to be drug off the field with that injury. They wouldn’t have caved into the doctors input. Especially with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. But I expect as much from Cutler from Canderbilt.

44. BlueHeaven
    7:02 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

And #38 do your homework before being a condescending ass to another person by pretending that someone doesn’t know what an MCL sprain is.

45. blitzedanddazed
    7:13 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Cutler is a whiner and a loser that went to Vandy. Enough said!

46. Computer Blue
    7:26 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I’ve never liked Cutler but I actually feel pretty sorry for him now.

47. Da Bears
    7:29 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

What game were those on the negative side watching? First, its unfair to compare Cutler to Favre and saying “Favre would’ve been out there.” Favre would play through anything, Favre is not the norm…he’s the exception that defies all the medical experts, and perhaps will never be copied.
    Second, Cutler WAS excited on the sideline. He smiled after their first touchdown, an emotion that the commentators quickly picked up on and said something like “And finally Cutler has something to smile about after a terrible day thus far”, and if i’m not mistaken, he later chest bumped Hanie. The man tried to get back on, how many shots were shown of him on the bike testing out his knee. And you can’t fault him for being melancholy, in the biggest game of his career he gets knocked out to a serious knee injury and has to see Todd Collins try to bring them back, and then his third stringer.

48. IndyAlum
    7:31 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Seriously?

49. scotty boggs
    7:36 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

He has a serious condition that only a VINEGAR AND WATER bath can take care of!

50. J.Picklesnickle
    7:42 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

47. Exactly what I was about to post. Cutler was genuinely happy for Hanie on the scores. I still believe he’ll be an elite Sunday QB before it’s all said and done (and I’m no Bears fan).

51. bluetexan
    7:51 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

No…with a torn meniscus – his coach wisely made him sit/stand, whatever! As usual, Reilly (Tipton’s bastard son) is wrong.

52. R. Smith
    7:56 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Cutler for Palmer straight up

53. Sweet Wm
    8:02 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I saw him cheering for the #3 QB. Just don’t listen to the media, UK fans should know that by now.

54. Fake Jimmy Dykes
    8:34 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Lost all respect for him when he joined the Bears. Denver is a much better sports town.

55. Flavor of the Meeks
    8:38 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

#43 I was somewhat of a condescending ass, but only because you displayed a complete lack of medical knowledge. You seemed to imply that Youngblood was some sort of god among men because he played through a hairline fracture while Cutler slunk out of a game with a paltry MCL sprain. I simply pointed out that Cutler played through the pain, the same as Youngblood. The only impact Youngblood’s injury would have on his play is pain — something that would be considerably lessened with a cortisone shot. Cutler’s injury not only inflicts pain but also results in an inability to do one of the most important things in throwing a football — using your plant foot. Cutler also doesn’t have the luxury of taking a cortisone shot for his pain. He has Type 1 Diabetes, and a cortisone shot runs the risk of causing a change in his blood sugar. I repeat, do your homework. You don’t have to be attend medical school to know all of this, Google can easily teach you.

On your other point, it has nothing to do with “caving in” to what the medical staff told him. They told him he had an MCL sprain, and ran the risk of a much more severe injury by staying out there. He indeed remained out there until it became apparent to Lovie Smith that his play was significantly impaired, and because of this, Smith pulled him. What exactly is Cutler supposed to do at that point? Run out there anyway?

I’m sorry if I’m being somewhat combative toward you, but everyone taking issue with someone for something he had no control over really bothers me. Colt McCoy suffered a shoulder sprain in the BCS championship and didn’t return after the coaches and medical staff told him to stay out, yet nobody attacked him. The only reason this is an issue is because it’s Jay Cutler and nobody likes him.

56. Flavor of the Meeks
    8:39 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

I do realize that McCoy acted quite differently on the sidelines than Cutler did, but that’s not the issue at hand between you and I. We are discussing Cutler’s “toughness”.

57. markp
    9:15 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

He seems to be kind of a jerk but he was hurt. He took a lot a ton of hit this year with the Bears weak protection.

58. Just saying
    9:41 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

its impossibe to lose respect for Cutler, because I have none to begin with. Anyone wanna know why players around the league questioned Cutler? Its because Cutler is known to be an arrogant a$$hole, and has very few fans among players (even among his own team).

This guy is a joke

59. bigbill992001
    9:48 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

Why would Cutler go off by himself and not talk to his coaches/teammates? 1. He was yanked and was pouting. 2. He took himself out and caught some flak from the coaches/teammates who questioned his toughness. Afterall, this for a trip to the SB and you don’t know when that will happen again.

60. hmmm
    9:49 pm January 25, 2011 Permalink

55. no one likes him because he’s a complete jerk. When Colt McCoy went down with a shoulder sprain, he tried to play and couldnt hold onto the ball, and was then taken out. Maybe Cutler’s knee hurt, but he jogged off the field at halftime, and then came back and played a series and then just went and sit down, put his coat over his head and sulked.

Thats the complete point of this, he’s a jerk, everyone knows it. So when he acts like he did, no one sympathizes with him

61. John Elway
    5:01 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Yea he’s kind of a puss. Denver went 4-12 last season and was still glad that he was not on the team. if that says anything. BTW start working out like a man and that s**t won’t happen, remember when my 37 year old ass took a hit from two different guys to dive towards the endzone. Yea i was fine. P U S S Y

62. Twitter Account Denied
    7:59 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know where to stand on this. He sure looks like a total wuss. But the way he was playing, he probaly needed to be benched anyway. Another thing that most people dont consider… he is a type 1 diabetic. As a diabetic myself, I know that it can be difficult to manage and if your glucose levels get too high or too low, you really cant bounce back in a short time. I dont know if this is the case or not, but it might bwe a reason for his up and down playing. This, however, does not affect his knee!

63. jlragweed
    9:17 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I had given him the benefit of the doubt until Sunday. so he comes off as a conceited, crybaby, prick. sometimes perceptions from afar can be wrong. if he says he’s injured, so be it, although there was no ice, no brace, no grimmaces of pain, no visible limp. but the worst was his sideline behavior. no begging to get back in the game, but worst of all: He’s the QB they prepped to play this team, and he’s played them 3 times this year. he should have been working w/ the backups everytime they came to the sideline. he just sat there.

he’s there because he has a god given talent that earns him millions, not because he loves the game, thats evident.

64. indiana uk fan
    9:56 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

cutler took the most sacks of any quarterback in the nfl and only missed one start his whole career.cutler is a tuff guy and a good quaterback.

65. CatfaninTn
    10:44 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I just find funny that BTI is calling someone lame.

66. D. George
    10:45 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Very hard to judge body language especially watching from the couch. The guy is a professional athlete although not very well liked around these parts becaue of his Vaderbilt days and what happended with the Broncos. I think he deserves the benefit of doubt but time will tell.

67. juicedog1
    11:06 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

BTI, your comments are pathetic. Do some research son. I was at the game and at every single home bears game this year. Cutler is as tough as it comes and does whatever he can to play. He constantly refuses medical attention and downplays any fact that he ever is injured. Do you remember when he had a concussion and still managed to elude the medical staff and play the entire half?

Also, he did help Hanie. Cutler was pissed that he could not get back in the game. Think about it….would you be happy if your season ended on an injury? I was him arguing with the staff on the sideline. It was the medical and coaching staff’s decision why he did not go back in the game. He played 3 series with the injury and as you saw, could not hit any targets. He overthrew Hester on a 10 yard crossing route that he has completed 99.9% of the time. That is when I knew it was over for him.

BTI, get your mind right and your facts straight before you go blasting about a sport, team and player that you know nothing about.

68. manbearpig
    11:08 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Cutler was walking up stairs right after the game, it’s on Yahoo Sports today. So, how are you Cutler’s defenders gonna explain that away? He went out to dinner with his reality-show girlfriend right after the game and climbed stairs to get to the dining room. He wasn’t/isn’t hurt..and this comes from one who has at this moment has a torn ACL. Cutler is a major league wuss, baby and jerk…bet Chicago ends up getting rid of him like Denver did. Read what Cutler’s Denver teammates have to say about him…it ain’t nice.

69. manbearpig
    11:10 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

And, by the way….all of you leave BTI the hell alone!

70. PatMan
    2:07 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

had none to begin with !