Let’s play blind résumés

With all the bubble talk going on in the national media, it’s hard to know who’s right and who’s wrong. So don’t leave it up to the talking heads; decide for yourself! Examine the six teams below and weed out a your two or three weakest links. Then click to the jump to find out which teams you put in the tournament, and which teams you left home.

No cheating!

resumes-2

TEAM A = Boise State. A team Joe Lunardi has listed as “last four in.” The Mountain West was loaded this season, but the Broncos struggled to beat the best of the best in the conference.

TEAM B = Middle Tennessee State. A team Joe Lunardi has as “last four in.” The Blue Raiders play in the terribly weak Sun Belt Conference where they ran the train. Only problem is outside of league play they did absolutely nothing, and got pummeled by Florida.

TEAM C = La Salle. A team Joe Lunardi has as “last four in.” The Atlantic 10 isn’t Sun Belt bad, but much like other teams on the bubble, their work against good teams is limited with just two wins against top 50 teams – Butler and VCU.

TEAM D = Kentucky. A team Joe Lunardi has as “next three out.” (Worse than “first four out”). We all know the issues Kentucky has faced this season… But if a team like La Salle can be favored with a very similar résumé, Kentucky can be too. The one thing the Cats need to hope for is the team isn’t judged too harshly for playing without Nerlens Noel.

TEAM E = Ole Miss. A team Joe Lunardi has as “last four in.” The Rebels picked up a huge win last night over Missouri that will go a long way to pushing them into the tournament. The only problem is, its only two wins over top 50 teams both come against Mizzou… Is that really impressive enough?

TEAM F = Alabama. A team Joe Lunardi has as “first four out.” Alabama beat Tennessee last night, which doesn’t help too much with their current résumé, but it is giving the Tide another shot at Florida. As it stands, Alabama having zero wins versus top 50 teams doesn’t look good.

How did you do? I’d be willing to bet at least one or two of those “last four in” teams didn’t make your cut.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

87 Comments for Let’s play blind résumés

1. Wildcat50
    1:06 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I picked A and D

2. JoeBird
    1:08 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I picked B, E, and F.

3. Danny Mac
    1:09 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I Ranked the six, in order of best to worst, A, D, C, E, F, B

4. BEF
    1:09 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I picked B F E. there’s no way you can put any of those teams in over UK.

5. No brainer
    1:11 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Definitely a and D are the choices from that list!

6. Go Deep
    1:11 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I thought that A should get in above all else and had a real hard time distinguishing from C and D, the rest were out. B has only 1 win against any top 100 and that just isn’t enough. You have to schedule a bit tougher in non conf.

7. Tyler Baker
    1:12 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

B e f

8. bung
    1:12 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

is that a picture of our free throw practices?

9. Biglaw dawgin
    1:13 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We need all the favorites to win. Go Memphis.

10. GDB
    1:13 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

6. There out of conference SOS is #6 in the country….cant do much more

11. MG
    1:14 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We’re RPI top 50, Alabama beat us, but Alabama has 0 top 50 wins?

12. BillyBob1980
    1:14 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Im pretty sure Bama did beat Tenn yesterday

13. BillyBob1980
    1:15 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

12.) therefore giving them a shot today against the Gators

14. IU Fan
    1:15 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I love to lurk and sleep with my MOM. I love you mommie.

15. CatInVolNation
    1:20 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I chose A, C, and E, with team D being my 4th option being in the tourney. I was surprised because in my mind, I thought I had MTSU solidly in but they were just above Bama.

16. bung
    1:20 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

we have no half court offense, yet refuse to run the fast break correctly, or very often, wont pass for an assist, cant shoot free throws and therefore could only score 48 points against a weak team. That is our resume…

17. Ummmmmmmmm
    1:23 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

These numbers do not make any sense… For example, Kentucky is 5-5 versus the top 100 and 5-2 versus the top 200. So they played ten games versus the top 100 but only seven against the top 200… Um, what?

18. CadizCat
    1:25 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

My blind ranking from best to worst was A,C,D,E, F, B. That is all.

19. Uncle Si
    1:27 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I can’t begin to imagine how many haters will be on this sight with their pants wrapped around their ankles if Kentucky doesn’t get in.

20. Stuart Hammer
    1:27 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

17 – “vs. top 50” = 1-50… “vs. top 100” = 51-100… “vs. top 200” = 101-200.

21. tennisman
    1:28 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We don’t deserve an NCAA bid. NIT BOUND with the hammer down.

22. TNMomma
    1:30 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Alabama beat TN – they’re playing Florida right now.

I agree with #17 – the numbers don’t make sense. How can you play 11 games against top 50, but only 5 games against top 100? Is the top 100 stat only teams 51-100?

23. sarcasm
    1:32 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

no BPI?

24. TNMomma
    1:34 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Just saw the response Stuart – thanks for the clarification. I see you fixed the Alabama info as well.

Based on blind resume – I would throw out Middle Tennessee and Alabama.

We really need Florida to win the SEC Tourney. Can’t afford to let any other bubble teams get an outright spot.

25. Ummmmmmmmm
    1:34 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

20) So write it that way or compile the numbers to reflect the record “vs. top 100.” Pretty simple…

26. bsquared
    1:42 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

25) WOW!!!! It was a pretty simple chart that most people with common sense could easily understand.

27. D
    1:44 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I came up with B,E,F as O U T.

28. Whoah, Ms. Lippy
    1:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I just looked at ESPN’s updated RPI/BPI and heres the rundown:
    Kentucky: 56 RPI, 51 BPI
    Ole Miss: 50 RPI, 38 BPI
    Boise St: 43 RPI, 46 BPI
    LaSalle: 40 RPI, 53 BPI
    MTSU: 29 RPI, 47 BPI

The numbers don’t lie. We’re sadly not that good and don’t deserve a bid. The committee will notice that we lost 2/3 three to sub 500 teams when we HAD to win. But, I believe this is a blessing in disguise and everyone but Nerlens will return. They’ll come off the bench (which isnt a bad thing IMO) and build their confidence and refine their skills that way. The bunch next year will be a lot of fun to watch. #9

29. Just saying
    1:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

17. It’s simple. We played 10 teams ranked between 51-100, with a 5-5 record, and 7 games against teams ranked 101-200 with a 5-2 record

30. Steve
    1:50 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Given who has posted every story on the website this morning, looks like Matt, drew, TT must have hit the bars hard after the post-game show last night.

31. GoForIt
    1:55 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Serious question…did we just set a rec for the highest rated team to miss the Tourny?? #3 to NIT. Can’t even win enough to make it. Give me a break. Has a pre-season 1 or 2 ever missed it?

32. What?
    2:06 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I make a post suggesting this UK team deserves no bid, with no profanity, and it gets removed? Why?

33. What?
    2:09 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Lol, then my post asking why is accepted? Ok I’ll try again…. I would be embarrassed as a UK fan to see this no heart no guts team be rewarded for nothing. I don’t want an NCAA bid. Let us die quietly with dignity.

34. jerespive
    2:10 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I had the exact same results as #3. From #1 – #6: Boise, Kentucky, LaSalle, Ole Miss, Alabama, Middle Tenn St.

35. Ummmmmmmmm
    2:12 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

26) and common sense states that top 100 means 1-100. I understood the meaning from the get go but wanted to point it out. A simple chart shouldn’t require a legend for your readers.

36. JBR
    2:14 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Look, we can quit speculating…we will not make the field, nor do we deserve it. Anybody that saw us play this year should understand that.

37. UK Joe
    2:14 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

yeah, that stinks. I picked (A or E), C, D, F, B

38. shut up
    2:15 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Cut it out with the groveling and begging for a tournament bid. All this team had to do was beat a sub .500 Vandy squad. AND THEY COULDN’T EVEN DO THAT!This team deserves NOTHING! If Calipari even has a shred of dignity he’d reject all bids and in this season today.

39. Ares
    2:19 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

A and D in everyone else out

40. Han
    2:27 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Well, Memphis just won and Florida’s back on top of Bama.

38) No one wants “fans” like you around. Go back to beating your wife, dog, and kid, and leave the rest of us alone.

41. James
    2:43 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Josh Pastner (Memphis coach) said after beating Southern Mississippi to win the Conference USA Tournament.

“Getting into the NCAA Tournament isn’t a birth right. You have to earn it”

Exactly! And UKAY hasn’t earned it!!!!!!!!!!

42. haha
    2:44 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

40, you’re an idiot. I’m a lifelong UK fan born into a family of UK alumni, and currently a UK student myself. If my school is going to spend MILLIONS on a basketball program, I wont stand for them sucking this much. Sorry that I have pride, and am above begging for a play-in game that we’d lose by 20 in anyway.

43. James
    2:50 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I am very very tough and brave when I can hide behind my keyboard. I also have been taking advanced Yoga, purely for the stretching. My goal is to toss my own salad in the next 60 days. HOLLA!!

44. Gmoore515
    2:51 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

With as close as all these resumes are for the bubble teams the NCAA would be stupid to leave Kentucky out. They would give much higher television ratings than any other team on the list and our fans will travel exponentially better than any of these fan bases. Plus as the country has seen this team can be really good. So why not put them in and at worst they lose their first game but have a packed arena over one that’s only a quarter of the way full?

45. Cal'sBigTities
    2:52 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

The poor kids coming in next year will get the same treatment if they under achieve. I know that to be true because you were talking how great this squad was at the beginning of the season and now look at you. Stop blaming the kids and looking at the non-coaching recruiter u have on the sideline. There’s 300 high school coaches out there that could have coached that team to a championship last year. When will u learn he’s not an X’s and O’s coach. He’s a great salesman that can’t develop players. The kids aren’t standing around out there like they’re lost because they’re bad players they do it because they haven’t been coached what to do. At least u will get a #1 seed in the NIT. Go Cards!

46. Real Blue
    2:55 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I got rid of B, F & C

47. Jcorn
    2:55 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

You know that we don’t practice free throws!

Cats have a better resume than anyone above sans Boise State. We deserve to be in this year, but only because of the expansion to 68. We still don’t truly deserve a spot by our own standards, but as Cal put it, maybe we’re the best of the worst.

48. Haha
    2:55 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I am entitled to better than this!! My mommy and Daddy went to UK and now they are paying for me to go. I understand we are the ONLY team in America that has went to the elite 8 or further for the past 3 years. I know we won it all just last year. I know we lost 98% of our offense from last years team.
    BUT I AM NOT GOING TO STAND FOR THIS!
    Has anyone seen my pacifier?

49. John
    3:02 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Wow! we’ve only played 7 games against the top 200. That is scary!

50. LOL
    3:02 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Per Pat Forde:

“The ‘Cats showed the committee members something, all right. The ‘Cats showed them what an NIT team looks like.”

51. Surprised
    3:08 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I was surprised to see that Kentucky was one of the three teams I picked to make the tournament from this list. However, I’m afraid they’re going to put a lot of weight into what they’ve done without Nerlens. If a record over the last 10 games stat was available, I would have eliminated them.

52. rainman
    3:09 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

B,E,F, in that order!
    200 wins shouldn’t be any factor whatsoever!

53. Credit where it's due
    3:16 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

#49 Just because a UK fan sees this year’s team for what it is doesn’t man he can’t appreciate the Ron of the previous 3 teams! Yes, we lost 98% of offense from last year. Yes we won it all last year. This year we couldn’t beat a really bad Vandy team with a UK fan packed arena knowing we had to win to get in the big dance. It’s just calling a spade a spade. This is a subpar non tourney deserving UK team. So what? I give Cal a pass this year and expect us to return to form next year. In the meantime I am not deluded enough to think these underachievers deserve to be GIVEN a bid just because our fans travel and pack arenas. Garbage. We are done and got what a bad team deserves…..no favors.

54. Credit where it's due
    3:18 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Lol, supposed to be “run” , not “Ron” in # 54

55. John
    3:18 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I think wins against the top 200 sure is a factor. that says that all but five of our wins are against teams that are not the top 200 in the country.

56. Johnny Bench
    3:19 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Who even cares anymore… We are the worst coached team in Div I. Even without Noel we still have more talent than 2/3rds of the teams going to the tourney. Time to lay blame folks…

57. Delk for 3
    3:20 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

One thing that would make sense to me in looking at UK without Noel is realizing that they are obviously going to have their struggles as they are basically a relatively new team trying to play without a star. That stated, they have shown some ability to play at a high level as demonstrated with wins over Mizzou and Florida. I think you need to judge this UK team as if they are basically the same team without Noel as they were pre-injury. The team has had their ups and downs with and without him.

58. Delk for 3
    3:22 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if Vanderbilt dominates Ole Miss today in regards to if that would change anything as far as perception about how bad a loss that is?

59. RicksPrematureEjaculation
    3:25 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

46 — Tell your coach to win one championship at your school. Do it now or never. Many of your flat-billed and tattooed fans have never a seen a championship in their lifetime. 1986 is nearly 30 years ago!

60. Cal'sFrontButt
    3:26 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I remember Matt going on and on about how it is over for Rick Pitino now that Cal’s is coaching (LOL) at UK. He said uofl would never have a better season then UK as long as Cow is there. What a [email protected] Matt is.

61. Question
    3:27 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

What time does UK play today?

62. Mc
    3:31 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Should just have the last 4 in play the first 4 out on the Tuesday before the tournament.

63. BFF
    3:35 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Looks like I excluded Middle Tennessee St and Alabama

No wins against the Top 50 combined with 2 of the three worst SOS leaves them out.

Gotta say though….Top 50 what? Bama beat UK. And UK is 48 in RPI, so something doesn’t add up there.

64. BFF
    3:37 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Many of you are saying E would be out but D would be in? If you are going strictly by SOS (and you must be) then it’s no damned wonder our fan base is so stupid.

65. dave
    3:41 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

20-no, those dont mean the same thing. you’re better than this.

66. Jus
    3:47 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

This team isn’t worthy if an NCAA seed. They’d likely just lose in the first road anyways.

67. dave
    3:50 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

20-and all the rpi numbers appear to incorrect according to realtimerpi. uk’s actual rpi is 56 & ole miss’s is 51

68. Grover Sales
    3:59 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

This UKAY team couldn’t guard a glass of water!

69. Sam
    4:02 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

B D F

70. seenvic
    4:04 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

best to worst.

a d c e b f

71. SeaCat
    4:08 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We will make the tournament.

72. Whoah, Ms. Lippy
    4:10 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Just for Sh*ts and giggles, I checked out UNC’s resume and compared it to UK’s. Their keys wins were over UNLV and NCST and yet they have an RPI of 19 solely on SOS bc of they lost to Duke, Miami, and IU. Anybody can lose to good teams, but how do they get so much love in an equally weak ( in terms of talent top to bottom) conference. Just something else to dwell on…UK’s resume when you see who we beat is quite comparable with about 30 teams bc this is such a down year in CBB.

73. SeaCat
    4:15 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

this teams problem was Alex, Archie, Ryan and Mays
    were a little short.
    Alex is not 6’6″, more like 6’5″
    Archie might be 6’3″
    Ryan is not 6′
    Nerlens was barely 6’9″
    Wiltjer may not be short, but he’s slow.

74. @drog2442
    4:33 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I eliminated B, E, & F. And kept A,C,D.

75. Mike
    4:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

It isn’t’ talked about but, consideration will be given for the “defending national champions, their fan base and following, which bubble teams would be better financially for the tournament, and storyline, with Kentucky getting in as a 12 or 13 seed they might being playing a mid-major school that could knock the defending champs out of th tourney”. These are the reason we are in!

76. mudcreekmark
    4:57 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Why are we putting ourselves through all this bull shit of who is in and who is out? Do you all really even want to watch this team play again? How can a team that loses to Tennessee by 30,then turn around and lose to Arkansas by 13, Georgia by 10 and Vandy by 16 in the last 4 games.One win over Florida does not make up for a terrible season. We do not deserve to go the NCAA and I don’t really think we are good enough to compete in the NIT.

77. Dogwaller
    5:13 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I have to admit I agree with 76. I keep thinking maybe the light bulb will come on but this is without a doubt the least basketball smart team that i have seen ever at UK. I’m not blaming the coaches but i hope they start putting more emphasis on brains going forward. The game last night would not have been any worse if they had played the last 5 on the bench.

78. Ryan
    5:55 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

How is it possible for team A to have 7 losses vs the top 50 and 1 against the top 100? Shouldn’t they have at least 7 or more losses against the top 100?

79. Fitch Slap
    6:01 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

78. Oh you didn’t know “vs. Top 100” means 51-100?… Here at KSR an incredibly simple chart requires a legend for interpretation.

80. rixter
    6:28 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Plus, they apparently doctored some of the numbers

81. chris roach
    7:28 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

My choice was A and D was the two best out of the bunch so it looks like KY was one of them !

82. Diehardcatfan
    8:17 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I picked B , E and F..

83. Diehardcatfan
    8:21 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I picked B , E and F..the weakest links

84. Drew
    8:33 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I picked B D F …I thought KY was D but decided to keep the pick anyway. Hard when you go .500 against top 100 teams, 2-4 against top 50…and most likely we would play a top 50 in the first round. I hate to say it, but we’re gonna be NIT and hopefully we’ll see some of these guys come back cause they need more years in the college game.

PS — Thoroughly enjoyed thinking through this and even if KY isn’t a bubble team, I would like to see more of this

85. Brent
    10:51 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

A and D are definitely the best.

86. SpoiledInanOut
    11:21 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

UK fans are as fickle as they come. “They had a bad season so they should be punished for it.” Maryland, Ole Miss, and Missouri, Florida (without NN) … none of these teams are slouches. The loss to UT in Knoxville and to Arkansas in the hole that is FV are not to be taken seriously. After losing NN, you had to know they wouldn’t take it well. Arkansas paid a lot of money for that home record. Losing to Vandy means nothing now that they lost to Ole Miss. They put their best game up against UK the 3rd time. Thank heavens this team isn’t a horse or UK fans would’ve shot it by now, even without a broken leg.

87. Mr. Obvious
    7:58 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

How can a team have played more top 100 teams (5-5) than top 200 teams (5-2)? That makes no sense.