Lee Majors’s Monday News and Views

lee majors

Today is the 73rd birthday of the most famous citizen to ever come from Middlesboro, Kentucky, Lee Majors. For many of you, the name Lee Majors probably does not ring a bell, but the acting name of the individual born Harvey Lee Yeary was actually a huge star in Hollywood in the 1970s. He was on three big shows, “Big Valley”, “The Six Million Dollar Man” and “The Fall Guy”. For a time, he was an actual major television star and at one point was considered one of the “It” actors in Hollywood. He famously married Farrah Fawcett when she was at her peak, when she was gracing posters in the bedrooms of young males across America. He still turns up in random movie and tv appearances (the last one I saw was on Community), but after “The Fall Guy”, his stardom was never the same. Being from Middlesboro, I best knew Majors as the guy who was the famous person from my town. While I was in school, the decision was made to name the football field after him and he showed up in at his alma mater, infamously landing an awkward kiss on the Football Homecoming Queen that still gets reenacted from time to time in the area. His name graces a sign leading into Middlesboro (not far from where the new Cracker Barrel will be) and if you are ever passing through, make sure and give it a wave. Below is the theme song to “The Fall Guy”, which was sung by Majors and includes the lines, “I am not the kind to kiss and tell, but I’ve been seen with Farrah. I’ve never been with anything less than a nine, so fine.”:

— The big story in UK athletics is the unbelievable success of the UK baseball team. Today the Kentucky Wildcats beat LSU 7-6, to win 2 of the 3 in the series and complete their fifth series win against a ranked opponent. The victories will leave Kentucky potentially as the #1 ranked team in America in one poll and gives the Bat Cats a one game lead in the SEC. The accomplishment is not only amazing for Coach Henderson and the team, but also is shocking a league that knows a thing or two about baseball. I like to give KSRCollege.com writer David Mulloy (who along with John Wilmhoff has been doing an AMAZING job covering the team all year) a hard time for predicting the team would be bad, but he was not alone in that view. The story of college baseball has been how a group of players that were listed on few MLB draft boards at the beginning of the season, have now come together to shock the college baseball world. Kentucky is now in line to potentially host a Super Regional, which could put the Cats with the opportunity to make the College World Series. I have always wanted to go to the event in Omaha, and now this is a legitimate chance. Kudos to the team for the win and UK fans who packed the stadium in mediocre weather for three straight days to cheer them on to victory.

— While attendance was the obvious story at the UK football Spring game as well, lost a bit in the worry about the football team’s future was a team that looked much better at some key positions. Maxwell Smith looked very strong in his new role as the lead Quarterback on the team and his ability to hook up with WR Demarco Robinson was an encouraging sign. Robinson, LaRod King and Darryl Collins seem to give Kentucky legitimate Wide Receiver options, something was sorely lacking last season. Most who attended the game were encouraged by the performance of the first team, and LBs Avery Williamson and Bud Dupree played so well that Joker Phillips said they could be one of the best combos to play the position that Kentucky has ever had. The key will be to continue to get the young players to develop and win over a skeptical fan base that seems certain of impending bad news. The first game at Louisville may have never been so important for one coach, and team’s, future.

— On the basketball side of things (and when is the last time basketball has been the third sport talked about on a night post?), the main story is the push to get Anthony Bennett. The other big recruits in the class, Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress, have all been tweeting Bennett, trying to convince him to come to Lexington and the fans are in the Patterson/Lucas mode of becoming obsessed about his recruitment. Unfortunately, it looks like it will still be some time before Bennett decides as he says he plans to visit three schools over the next few weeks. Calipari for his part, is already recruiting for next season, having spent the weekend on the road, looking at a number of kids, most obviously the 2013 mega-stars, the Harrison twins, who he saw play multiple times.

— All over the state, the members of the 2012 Championship Team have been doing autograph tours to large crowds. Pictures suggest that Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Terrence Jones, Darius Miller and Doron Lamb are getting huge responses from the Big Blue Nation and the events look to be great for all who attend. Some grumbling continues about cost, but that happens every season and is a byproduct of any move to have such events. My view is that no one is making people go see the players and if they price themselves too high, then they wont get attendance. At this point, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Good luck to all the players out their making the tours and the fans who are getting their life keepsakes.

— Saturday, we had the first leg of the KSTV Casting Call in Northern Kentucky. 13 Semi-finalists made it through two rounds of cuts to move to the next round and meet up with the finalists still to come in Lexington and Louisville. We will be in Lexington on Saturday, for an event that is sure to get a large crowd and a great group of talent. We will have more about it all week and we want fans of all ages to come join us. You have a big game to show however to match the top contestants we saw in Florence, including a 50 year old mom with UK knowledge overflowing, a preacher who uses UK to instruct his flock and a college student who shaved a UK logo in the back of his head. We are looking forward to the next batch of talent making it through this Saturday.

— Finally, I want to end the night by remembering the passing of Kenny Roark, the football coach at Middlesboro High High School, during my time there. I was saddened to hear that he passed away this week after battling a long illness. Roark won a state title at Middlesboro in 1998, and saw a number of his players go on to play for colleges throughout the country. During my time at the school, he was known for his hard-nosed teams and loud, bellowing voice that could be heard throughout the hallways of my small high school. He produced a number of great players and better people, and my thoughts are with his family and close friends.

— We are back tomorrow with the radio show from 10 am to noon and all the news you can handle here on the site…

Article written by Matt Jones

34 Comments for Lee Majors’s Monday News and Views

1. Old' Jacket
    10:54 pm April 22, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for remembering Kenny Matt. He will be missed. Great coach to play for and was one of the funnier human beings I ever spent time around.

2. Kaboom
    10:55 pm April 22, 2012 Permalink

It feels good to be the Champion.

3. catben
    11:20 pm April 22, 2012 Permalink

Kenny was also a heck of a football player for the Cats. So sad that he passed away so young.

4. Shawon
    11:25 pm April 22, 2012 Permalink

Heather Thomas…yes, please.

Btw, whatever happened to Heather Locklear? That is one messed up…

5. shields eyes
    11:35 pm April 22, 2012 Permalink

Farrah Fawcett was the finest beard any man ever had.

6. Tiny Tim
    11:41 pm April 22, 2012 Permalink

can some one point me towards a ranking where LSU is #1? on ncaa.com UK is #5 and LSU is #16.. just confused by all the #1 vs #2 post.. ncaa has Florida as #1

7. Greg
    11:44 pm April 22, 2012 Permalink

My condolences to the Roark family

8. Dr. Evil
    12:03 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

My brother-in-law graduated with Lee Majors from high school and people laugh when I tell them his real name is Harvey Yeary. He was, indeed, a very big star in Hollywood. My sister and her husband visited him in Hollywood on more than one occasion after he “made it big”. I believe he was also married to Peggy Lipton at one time.

9. SuperCats
    12:09 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

nice Matt
    we love ksr
    but does your chest hair look like that?

10. CalifCatFan
    12:10 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

I believe Lee Majors went to UK and studied Theatre Arts.

11. David Mulloy
    12:15 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

6- There are several different baseball polls. Collegiate Baseball had LSU and UK 1-2 last week, most others had both teams in the top 5. It will be interesting to see how many will have UK #1 Monday.

12. CalifCatFan
    12:19 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

#10: Ooops. I just checked his bio and he went to EKU instead of UK. Sorry about that.

13. Bleed Blue
    12:21 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

I played football for Harlan High School and graduated 2 years ago from there. I had the privilege to meet Coach Roark and I guess his son who played QB for Middlesboro. Both were extremely nice and my prayers go out to his family. My coach would tell stories of Roark before every game against Middlesboro.

14. I Love Rob Lock
    12:51 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

i love that truck from Fall Guy. brings back memories as a kid. also, love what the baseball team is doing

15. Viren
    1:01 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

Coach Roark taught me how to drive. He was the first guy to sit with me on my very first driving lesson. Very sad news indeed– I have some great memories from when he took our school to very first state championship. He will be greatly missed. Go Cats Go Jackets.

16. Hartline
    1:26 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone know what happened to those journals Matt was suppose to write about his trip on the trophy tour? Not sure if I’ve missed the first one or it hasn’t been posted.

17. SuperCats
    2:18 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

Jonny Depp, Rex Chapman and I were born in Owensboro
    Just sayin

18. Ridge Runner
    2:45 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

17…as well as Red Man Chewing Tobacco.

19. Cpacat
    6:37 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for including the words about Coach Roark. I knew him when he was the O-line coach at Union College in Barbourville. I can hear him now telling B. Ingle (Bingo for obvious reasons) to get his head out of his a$$!! Good times!! Thanks Coach Roark!

20. timer
    6:42 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

Props to Coach Chuck Smith for his work. He has done a tremendous job of developing linebackers at UK. There is no assistant coach in the SEC who does his job better than Coach Smith.

21. SexnNursinHomes
    7:05 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

20- Coach Smith, thanks for stopping by KSR. Glad to see you posting.

Lee Majors. What a badass.

22. NKY
    7:10 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

20. is that the same coach smith who could’nt land the best linebacker recruit in the last 20 years in ky? FROM HIS OWN HIGH SCHOOL? YEAH, NICE JOB COACH!

23. JIMMIEUKFAN
    7:54 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

When I was a kid nothing beat the Six Million Dollar Man vs. Bigfoot.

24. Bob
    7:56 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

Majors went to EKU… and enjoyed the company of both men and women. Not kidding.

25. bluebiscuit
    8:03 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

I can’t think of Lee Majors without thinking of A.J. Bakunis. He was a stunt man who died while trying to set a record for the world’s longest stung fall, during the filming of a movie being made here in Lexington. Majors was the star of the movie, and it was called Steel. It was filmed at the site of that green and pink office tower downtown on Vine Street. It was in the early 80s. It was the weirdest thing — Vine Street was packed with people watching this guy fall off a building, and he did not get up to wave to the crowd afterwards.

26. Jeff Garlin
    8:48 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

When/where is Anthony Davis signing autographs at?

27. Country Gentleman
    9:07 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

Matt, Did Majors play football at EKU?
    Also, glad to see you give the new Cracker Barrel in M-boro a plug. Inside those four walls walks perhaps the most knowledgeable and admiring Matt Jones fan I’ve ever met, a manager named Andrew. Stop in and say hello when they open. I’m sure he would be in awe. He actually knows his stuff about post 70s UK basketball. He’s even got me including this site with my daily dose of UK blogging.

28. PAK
    9:15 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

25 – Green & pink?? you mean the old Kincade Tower? Think they call it something else now. It IIRC it was still under construction when he tried the stunt.

29. JEFF STANDIFER
    9:47 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

WHEN I WAS IN THE 4TH OR 5TH GRADE I WAS ABLE TO DO THINGS THAT MOST KIDS MY AGE DIDNT GET TO DO AND THAT WAS BECAUSE OF KENNY ROARK. I WENT TO EVERY GAME THAT KENNY PLAYED IN AT MIDDLESBORO HIGH SCHOOL, THATS MY HOMETOWN, I LIVED ONLY A ROCKS THROW FROM THE ROARKS, AND KNEW THEM WELL. EDITH (KENNYS MOM), BETH (KENNYS SISTER) AND I WOULD GO TO EVERY GAME THAT KENNY PLAYED IN AT THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY AND OH THE TIMES WE HAD. I WAS ABLE TO GO ANYWHERE IN COMMONWEALTH STADIUM THAT I PLEASED AND MOST OF THE TIME I WAS RIGHT NEXT TO MY HERO, KENNY, AND HE SHOWED ME THE TIME OF MY LIFE. I WAS IN AND OUT OF COACH CURCIS OFFICE AND IN THE LOCKER ROOM AND JUST ANYWHERE I WANTED TO GO. I WILL SAY THIS, KENNY IS A BETTER PERSON THAN A FOOTBALL PLAYER, AND HE WAS GREAT AT THAT. I WILL ALWAYS TREASURE MY TIME WITH KENNY AND WILL ALWAYS THINK OF HIM AND REMEMBER HIM.
    I LOVE YOU KENNY!
    JEFF

30. 3 fan
    11:27 am April 23, 2012 Permalink

Wasn’t one of the reasons Lee Majors fell off the map was the rampant rumors of his sexuality?

31. Rob
    1:52 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for remembering Kenny. He was very special. One of the most physically powerful yet soft-hearted people I have ever known. A Champ.

32. GummyBear
    1:54 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

The Fall Guy was a great show and had one of the best theme songs of all time. I love the extended version embedded here. After the Dukes of Hazard, this is the best.

33. Class of 80
    4:09 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

Very sad to hear the news about Kenny Roark. He and I were roommates at one time in the football dorm at UK and he was quite the story teller in that slow, southern drawl. One of my favorite lines, which I still repeat to this day, is one I borrowed from him. In questioning the veracity of one of his tales, I asked him how the police did not intercede in the little caper he was regaling and he assured me that in Middlesboro, “The law don’t mess with the law,” and upon that principle he was quite confident. Suspect it was true and sorry to learn of his passing.

34. xcoach
    10:57 pm April 23, 2012 Permalink

I am pretty sure Lee played football for EKU under his real name.