LeBron James puts Gregg Doyel in his place

KSR’s good buddy Gregg Doyel popped up during the NBA Finals press conference last night and asked LeBron about “shrinking in the moment” when “superstars become superstars.” LeBron fired back with a great response:

“I think you’re concentrating on one side of the floor and all you’re looking at is the stat sheet. Honestly, I’m a two-way player and tonight D. Wade had it going offensively so we allowed him to handle the ball, we allowed him to bring us home offensively. You should watch the film again and see what I did defensively and ask me a better question tomorrow.”

Now I’m not a LeBron James fan at all but I like the way he came back at Doyel and I don’t think Gregg could’ve been any more wrong in his criticism of LeBron’s “shrinkage.” Dwyane Wade was nearly unstoppable last night in a mismatch against Jason Kidd. He’s the one who needed the ball in his hands on every possession and that’s exactly what the Heat did. Why should LeBron try to force plays just because he is supposed to be a superstar? LeBron did exactly what he needed to do to free up Wade and he made that slick pass to the wide-open Chris Bosh for the game winner. Would you have rather seen LeBron force one up over the defender there? No. You want the best available shot and that’s what LeBron set up. And, speaking of defenders, LeBron was the star for the Heat on the opposite end of the floor but that doesn’t show up in box scores. It was an all-around good game for LeBron James, even though he wasn’t doing the scoring in the fourth quarter. He didn’t need to.

We love you Gregg and we know you’re loving all of this attention you’re getting today. And, since Matt gave you a hard time on the radio show this morning, I have to do the same on here. By the looks of your t-shirt last night, I thought you of all people would’ve known a little more about shrinkage.

I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us after Game 4.

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for LeBron James puts Gregg Doyel in his place

1. PatPattersonISWalkingThruThatDoor
    12:12 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

“That’s a bad question.”

2. Non- Kentuckian Kentucky fan
    12:12 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

Gregg Doyle is an idiot. LeBron answered that perfectly and now Doyle will make this little interaction about him. Nice job attention whore.

3. UNKNOWN ENTITY
    12:14 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

IN UN-RELATED NEWS BUD MACKEY WAS SENTENCE TO 10 YEARS

4. GoCats2
    12:17 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

All this “superstar” stuff is nonsense. Its about winning the title. Do you think Barkley would trade his 93 MVP for the 93 title? I guarantee he would. Do you think Karl Malone would not want a title if you told him that Stockton would have to be the MVP? No way. Its about winning the title. I am not a Lebron fan but he went to Miami to win a title(or titles) not to be the MVP of the Finals.

5. NBA league pass
    12:23 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

I would have asked the question a little differently. Look at his 4th quarter stats over the past THREE games (including one they lost). Not very (((superstar))) like.
    Lebron James wants to be the greatest player in the history of basketball, he has said this himself. That is just not going to happen for him now that he is Wade’s sidekick. Wade is clearly the better player on that team and that’s why the ball is in his hands at the end of games.

6. UKfan97
    12:25 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

I respect Lebron a little more now for how he handled that question. That was a total bs question…..at least how it was asked.

7. lih
    12:29 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

Totally agree with you Drew.

His pass to Bosh was worth all the forced shots in the world, it was a great play by a great player. It’s tough to let Wade take over if you’re Lebron and vice versa, but these guys understand what they have to do to win the title, and they’re going to. Kudos.

Who cares if he doesn’t score a ton in the 4th quarter of every game??? He does what it takes to WIN. And that is what matters.

8. snoopaloop
    12:31 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

You need to put the entire situation in context. Prior to this game, LeBron said nobody could guard him one-on-one and he would be in “attack mode.” Doyel wrote articles about these comments and clearly had high expectations for LeBron coming into the game. Needless to say, LeBron’s play did not back-up any of those comments.

9. Section 133
    12:33 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

Who cares.

10. GoCats2
    12:34 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

Remember when Jordan scored 63 in the playoffs and lost? If Lebron scores 63 and they lose he would be criticized for not deferring to Wade or Bosh.

11. BROOKTROUT
    12:34 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

has anyone been watching the playoffs…im confused…Lebron has carried the Heat several games in the 4th q ….he has couple low scoring 4 q’s and he gets hammered by the press…UNREAL

12. WinchesterUKfan
    12:35 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

#5 did you not hear Lebron’s response? Wade was on fire last night and Lebron’s skills were needed more on the defensive end. See that’s the beauty of Lebron’s game, He doesn’t always have to be on fire on the offensive end. He always plays great defense and can be relied on to be a tough defensive stopper. I totally agree with Drew here on this issue.

13. Jesus is the ONLY way to Heaven!!!
    12:36 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

Not a good question!!! I actually like Doyle but that question was DUMB!!! Typical Media “look at me, I want some attention too”.

14. AKA cold buckets
    12:40 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

Wanna say first of all I’m a fan of Doyel, but that was a pretty bad question. Not only did he ask a bad question, only to be ripped by LeBron, who was right in his answer, but then he went on the write a column calling out LeBron even more. Stick to praising Cal, Doyel. We all know you’re the only one that likes to do that.

15. yesterdays
    12:44 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

Lebron will never, ever be considered the greatest player in NBA history. EVER. Hes not even top 5. Anyone think hes better than Jordan, Russell, Jabbar, Magic, or Bird? Didnt think so

16. NBA league pass
    12:47 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

12) I heard his response. I’m not saying he’s not a good player. So was Scottie Pippen. But Lebron wants to be the GREATEST player of all time. Not happening. Look at his 4th quarter stats over the last THREE games. I think he has 9 total points.
    I guarantee you Jordan never had a stat sheet like that and he has six titles. AND he also played defense.

17. NBA league pass
    12:49 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

also if Lebron wants to “defer scoring” and be such a lock down defender, then put him on Dirk, who is scoring 30+ a game.

18. doylesshirt
    12:50 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

I’m sorry that I’m a reminder that most people are fat and out of shape. Changing shirts would be a lot easier than having everyone else stop being fat slobs.
    Jordan was a good defender too, but he still shot the ball and owned the fourth quarter.

19. Brandon
    12:52 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

16) Did you watch any of the playoffs before this series when Lebron carried the Heat while Wade was struggling. Hell, it wasn’t even two weeks ago everyone was talking about how clutch Lebron was for continually putting down the Bulls in the fourth.

20. AKA cold buckets
    12:54 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

19…. +1

21. BBN
    12:58 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

19.) I know, poeple have very short memories.

15.) Dude all of those guys are old except Jordan, your bias is showing through

22. WinchesterUKfan
    1:03 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

#16 I would never think Lebron could be the greatest player of all time. That would be have to be Jordan. However, I will go as far as to say that out of all the current players in the NBA, NO ONE has a more complete set of skills and talents in the NBA, not even Kobe. Kobe may be the best overall scorer in the league, but Lebron has the most complete game hands down. That’s not saying that there aren’t other players in the league that don’t do certain things better than Lebron. But they aren’t as fully skilled as Lebron is.

23. BPsycho
    1:07 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

He should have asked him if Mario Chalmers was bangin his momma yet.

24. cracka
    1:10 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

the league is full of guys that can absolutely “fill it up” … and you don’t take the ball out of a guy’s hands when he is on a roll … last night wade was feeling it and they kept feeding him, that’s what you do!

and lebron was in “attack mode” i thought, he came out and had 9 points in the first quarter, but it was clear that wade was feeling it as the game progressed … so lebron finished with 9 assists, what else do you want from the guy, haha

25. BROOKTROUT
    1:11 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

19) exactly …..Lebron should have asked Doyle if he watched the Bulls series……

26. Jim
    2:02 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

And please quit wearing those smedium t-shirts!!

27. B.J. Young
    2:10 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

28. shadowboxer
    2:25 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

Lebron has had plenty of time to muster up that response after listening to Skip Bayless for years. I wouldn’t give him too much credit for being clever. Undoubtedly, his agent gave him that response quite some time ago.

29. King James
    2:27 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

how come you are not a fan of me? I continue to support Kentucky and the Big Blue Nation through twitter (where I have millions of followers) and even came to Rupp Arena to be the celebrity Y on my own free time. I even came on campus one time before that to walk around Lexington and interact with the players. I also didn’t take Coach Cal from you guys when I most likely could of persuaded Cleveland in going after him if I really wanted to stay there. So again, how come you don’t like me?

30. Not Dirk
    2:40 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

Theres plenty about Labron to dislike but he won that exchange.

31. BPsycho
    2:42 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

#27 O.M.G…. He’s jumped the shark and is half way over another one…

He can’t be serious. This is all for the pub, it has to be, cause that ***** can’t be serious…. Did he not watch Lebron in Cleveland? If he was some god of basketball he would have won in Cleveland by himself. Now he has a team and is playing less selfish…… <—- Plus 1 million more periods.

That’s like asking Manny Pacquiao, sure you beat Shane Mosley, but by decision, why you no punch him more faster?

32. Kyle Mann
    6:27 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

I’m gonna go ahead and agree with LeBron on that one, and I don’t really like LeBron all that much. That was a tremendously stupid question.