Learning More About the Moron Brothers

moron brothers

Today on radio, you may have heard us discuss the phenomenon of the Moron Brothers. The Moron Brothers are a Bluegrass duo out of Kentucky that wear overalls and do some pickin’ and a grinnin’, while singing comical songs. They have a number of hit records, including the famous lyric “If my nose was running money honey, I’d blow it all on you.” I knew nothing of the Moron Brothers, named Lardo and Burley, but was instantly fascinated by them. We played some of their music and after a little research, it was obvious that these are alter egos of two Kentucky citizens. But how much of their life is real and how much is an act?

This video from “Kentucky Afield” (the Department of Fish and Wildlife show that got us on this topic to begin with) shows a little about their life, including their shanty home that they take down the Kentucky river. The video is amazing (and has over 1 million views), as are the Moron Brothers in general. I have to learn more, and if you know them (or their contact info) email me, or put in the comment section. Either way, I am sure they are Kentucky fans and for me, they may have entered the Top Ten of UK fans on my list:

Article written by Matt Jones

28 Comments for Learning More About the Moron Brothers

1. Aaron C Bunch
    10:34 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

How could we not have heard of them, Matt? They got a million hits after one appearance 😉

2. Pumpy
    10:38 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I have one of their cd’s….the track I hate snakes is my favorite. “only three things I hate about the south….copperhead, rattlesnake, cottonmouth”

3. Robert E. Lee
    10:45 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Dagummit, had only I known of this modern “bologna” the Northern War of Agression would have been won by the Confederacy.

4. ignorance
    10:45 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

yee-haa

5. gobgblu37
    10:49 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Reminds me of some of my relatives. I grew up in Flatwoods and had a uncle who had a fishing camp on the Little Sandy River. Use to run troutlines, go frog giging and camp on the river on the weekends. Great memories! GBB!!!

6. Brad
    10:59 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt, I’ve been hearing stories on Lardo for years. He worked at Fire Sta #5 in Lexington for some time and he would pick and grin every evening after dinner. Good times from an old firefighter!

7. Junior Samples
    11:19 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt, I am the Moron Brothers publicist you can reach me at BR-549.

8. Linda Taylor
    11:21 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt, that link you put on the first line has a phone number to contact these guys. They also invite you to email them.

9. Michael Bluth
    11:42 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Nice floating house. Watch out for live-ins You will get some live-ins.

10. Retard
    11:59 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Matt are you that dumb?

You posted their own website and it has a “CONTACT US” button… phone number and email is included…

11. UKBlue
    12:32 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

WTF is wrong with these people

12. allenj
    12:53 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

you might want to ask Chris Johns that used to write on here. He went to school with their kids I believe.

13. Charles Wilson
    1:24 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

Happy Birthday Mr Matt Jones. Without you sir this thing we all feel as a Kentucky fan would have no voice. Greetings from TX and BTI sucks.

14. ChairmanRowe
    1:26 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

I’m pretty sure it’s not the case, but I’m going to keep telling myself that these guys took there name from the NOFX song.

15. nlk
    2:22 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

The Moron Bros are awesome.

Happy birthday, Matt.

16. WestWorld
    6:15 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

I could hang out with these guys. An immediate appearance on KSR is in order.

17. bpina
    7:40 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

My Father in law is best friends with Mike Carr, and goes fishing with him all the time on the shanty boat!

18. Sylvar
    7:51 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

Mike Carr (Lardo) used to come out to the house and play with my dad and his friends when I was young. He is still a good friend of the family. Those guys are awesome. As someone already stated you can get to them through the website contact info.

19. lexiladyrr
    8:24 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

The Moron Bros were in that video? I was too distracted by Farmer’s cleft chin. 2 Kentucky treasures and a buck hunting superhero. Dreamy. Happy birthday Mr. Jones.

20. ukfan89
    8:36 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

I saw the Moron Bros. at Renfro Valley 10 years ago and loved em

21. ProudFamily
    8:45 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

Mike Carr is a cousin of mine. I can assure you he is 100% real. He’s one of the finest persons I’ve ever known. To tell you how real he is, in my entire life I’ve only seen him not wear overalls twice, once at my uncle’s funeral and the other at my grandfather’s funeral. Mike Carr and Mike Hammonds are two of the finest men you would ever want to meet.

22. FloydsScissors
    8:48 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

The Moron Brothers ROCK! Wish they were the official band of KSR………….

23. FloydsScissors
    8:48 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

…..because they bring us music in the most ridiculous manner possible.

24. BluegrassFan
    10:20 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

These guys perform at bluegrass festivals all over. I saw them at JD Crowes festival a few years ago. They were very funny and nice guys.

25. Go Cats
    10:36 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

The Moron Bros are awesome and should definitely be guests for a podcast!

26. dick gosinia
    12:03 pm August 28, 2012 Permalink

BUT – Are they Cat fans??

27. bballdoc
    3:57 pm August 28, 2012 Permalink

The Moron Brothers are really good musicians, but what sets them apart is that irresistable “aw shucks” kind of performance you see in the video. Bluegrass rocks, and I hope a lot of people get interested from seeing this post.

28. Flatpicker_wannabe
    12:39 pm August 29, 2012 Permalink

These guys are the real deal. I have talked to them at a bluegrass show in my county for the last 3 years now. They love UK and are just down to Earth good genuine Kentuckians. They do a lot of charity work for kids and are always the same no matter where you see them. I actually had talked to them about them being approached for a reality show maybe on KET but it never came through. It could be a national hit though because these guys are hilarious. They are from around the Nicholasville area I believe.