Lay off the sauce, Chuck.

53209769EM014_NV_New_School

In a recent interview NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley said that he would take UNC’s Harrison Barnes ahead of Anthony Davis if he had the number one pick in the 2012 NBA Draft.

“I’m not sure if I would take that kid [Davis] No. 1,” Barkley said Thursday. “I mean, that Barnes kid is a stud.”

Chuck cites the Uni’s lack of bulk as the reason he wouldn’t pick him.

“That kid at Kentucky, he’s going to have to some gain weight,” Barkley said. “I’m about to send John Calipari some money to get him a weight room down there.”

Yes, Davis’ weight is a concern for the next level. It will be a struggle for him to guard other power forwards in the NBA at the beginning of his career. Eventually, though, Davis will gain weight and become a franchise changer for anyone who is lucky enough to have the first pick in next year’s draft.

Charles obviously had a beer in hand when he made these comments.  Solely based on potential you would have to take Davis with the first pick.

Somebody send Mr. Barkley an AA card and some Anthony Davis youtube videos.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

49 Comments for Lay off the sauce, Chuck.

1. 2020
    5:43 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Yes, Davis and Kevin Durant are not NBA-caliber players because they are skinny.

2. Gilchrist on D
    5:46 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Any word on Jones finger? Is it broken, dislocated or what?

3. UK78
    5:47 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

I would have to agree with him.

4. bmt22033
    5:51 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

No disrespect at all to Anthony Davis, but I’d be just as happy with Kidd-Gilchrist if I was drafting somebody.

5. Orange Sherbert
    5:54 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Did barley actually ever play basketball? He sure runs his mouth a lot..

6. Mr. Schwump
    5:55 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

What about the 3-point defense?

7. GODSAZNO
    5:58 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Barkley says Davis has to gain some weight. Well, Sir Charles knows all about gaining weight.

8. thenamerobdigity
    6:04 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Remember Harrison Barnes at this point last year? People were considering him a bust.

9. WKU Hilltopper
    6:04 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

How many draft picks does Barkley have? Oh, that’s right; none.

10. charlesisanidiot
    6:10 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

honestly, kidd-gilchrist just owned barnes in a head to head matchup. barnes wasn’t able to beat him off the dribble and had he not been able to shoot the 3 so well, which is uncharacteristic for him, he would have REALLY struggled. just an fyi, kidd-gilchrist just turned 18 4 or 5 months ago. his potential is much higher than barnes’.

11. Floyd
    6:12 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

They should listen to Barkley, just on the weight of his championship rings alone. Wait….never mind.

12. JBR
    6:23 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Sorry I live in reality and am not a complete homer, but he is right. At this point, right now, Barnes is a better player than Davis. The NBA has moved to placing potential over product…that is why many want to up the age limit, because the quality of play has suffered drafting that “potential”. If the situation were reversed, and Barnes played for us and Davis was at UNC, EVERYBODY on here would be praising Barkley.

13. Bumpy
    6:25 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Barkley should consider himself…guess no one should have taken a 6’4 forward either right?

14. Score The Ball
    6:26 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

I’m not going to crush Barkley too much. He was dead on with his analysis of the NCAA tournament last year. MKG may well pass both Davis and Barnes in the draft the way he’s going.

15. really?
    6:26 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

I like Barkley. He definitely seems more fun to hang out with than the kind of guy who says “send [him] an AA card.”

He might even be right. Go Cats.

16. john
    6:28 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Dude, Lay off the eyebrow… trying to be clever another way

17. Lisa Spencer
    6:33 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

I don’t think members of AA carry identification cards, that kinda defeats the purpose of the whole “anonymous” thing. I think you are getting them confused with members of AAA, which is an understandable but critical mistake.

18. john
    6:33 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

*try*

19. suckit
    6:37 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Dont need weight to be a great Bball player.

20. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    6:38 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Barnes is nothing but a 6-8 jumpshooter.

21. Muthaphucker
    6:41 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

I would agree with Barkely. He needs to leave this year or his draft stock will fall lower than TJ’s has already.

22. really?
    7:01 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Rashawn Franklin should be let go, and #17 Lisa Spencer hired in his place.

23. KyTom
    7:03 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

I actually agree with Barkley. There was nothing he said that was untrue. Both are and will be great players. But, Davis needs to bulk up…..everybody SHOULD know that.

24. Kevin
    7:08 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

There are a lot of players in the NBA that have potential and never see it.

25. nassau65
    7:20 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

funny how everyone was sayin what a great guy he was when he was pickin UK and talkin up UK on TV last year.

26. #Rise
    7:21 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

I agree with him. And whoever compared Davis to Durant is an idiot

27. Dane Brammage
    7:22 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

“Turrible, juss turrible”.

Yall Hail!

“I know this pikshuh wat’nt taken in Leeds, Ala BAM uh”

Dammit! Don’t talk uh bout muh Zona escapades; hook-ruh’s N all.

Did I get a DUI 2?

Turrible.

28. Mendacity
    7:26 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, #25, that is so freakin’ hilarious. Are you paid to be so funny?

29. Flippy23
    7:38 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Have it your way Chuck……have it your way. Actually, a compelling arguement could be made for a number of players. In my mind Davis has more upside, but Harrison is a mega-stud by any definition.

30. Ron Bennington
    7:40 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

AA card? That doesn’t even make sense.

31. Sondoul
    8:02 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Honestly, if I were an NBA GM, I’d be more concerned about Davis’s lack of post up moves and ability to create his own offensive looks. Every game UK has played a Zeller or a big guy who can push Davis around, he’s struggled to score and get the oops which are his bread and butter against smaller teams.

This is why I might would not draft him #1, although he’s got to be a lottery pick based on his defensive prowess alone.

32. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    8:09 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Yeap, a 6’8″ spot up shooter. The kind of player that can really resurrect a lottery team.

Don’t get me wrong, Barnes is a really good college player and should be a good NBA player. Anthony Davis (nearly) the consensus #1 pick because his size/skill combination is special, Barnes’ size/skills are very common in the NBA. Barnes could go anywhere from 2-5 because he is a really good player, but not a potential franchise-changer.

Of course, he could prove me and everyone but Chuck wrong…

33. Syrin
    8:10 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

I gotta tell you. If I were starting an NBA franchise, I’d base it around a 6’8″ spot up jump shooter that doesn’t rebound, defend, run the floor, or shoot consistently. Those are hard to find. I’d pass on a 6’11” freak of nature gifted athlete who can run the floor, change games defensively, rebound like a beast, and score at will at the next level.

34. matt
    8:20 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

why bash the only guy in the media that wont bash us just cause were kentucky

35. Garrett
    9:01 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Barkley admitted during their coverage of March Madness last season that he didn’t even WATCH much college basketball….I’d take his opinion on Davis/Barnes with a grain of salt.

36. NYCWildcat
    9:03 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Davis is a much more unique talent than Barnes. I usually agree with Barkley, and I agree Davis needs to put on weight, but players like Barnes are a dime a dozen in the league.

37. Designated Drinker
    9:17 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

He is only talking about one draft spot. Hes wrong though. Weight doesn’t matter, for Gods sake he was fat as a player. Height matters in basketball, not weight. Kevin Durant, Tayshaun Prince, Reggie Miller and on and on and on. I’d take MKG over Barnes.

38. Ciggy
    9:19 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

I have much love for chuck, I sort of agree with him. RIGHT NOW, the draft isn’t for awhile yet, let’s see how it shakes out 🙂

39. Huck13
    9:56 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

LOL, how about grow a brain Franklin, if you are trying to play shock jock or something… you might need to work on it some more. How many shots has Davis hit beyond 10 feet… do you have to even use your toes to count them?

You say, “Chuck cites the Uni’s lack of bulk as the reason he wouldn’t pick him.”

To me “Uni” is derogatory, why do you say that? At this point I would think a strong physical player could have their way with Mr. Davis. I used to play with some girls that would have him trying to pull himself off the court with his hands, if he was even still awake.

Hype don’t mean much to me, I like for UK to win. I used to be pretty negative on Barkley, but he is growing on me, a little. I understand that I am a dumb ass, but Davis has not shown too much, as far as I can see, a player like Barkley was…. would eat his lunch, and what ever else they wanted.

40. Winston Churchill
    10:19 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

Aww, I guess some people are gonna be pretty sad when Anthony Davis is picked #1 in the Draft. Guess there will apparently be some UK fans crying that their precious Harrison Barnes didn’t get picked first.
    You all are either posers or pathetic. I’m glad Virtually EVERYONE else in the NBA thinks otherwise.

41. Cristoforouk
    11:35 pm December 18, 2011 Permalink

40 – Cause NBA people are always right, right? There are NEVER any busts. While I don’t agree with taking Barnes over Davis, I see where Charles is coming from. Just take a look at the NBA and the type of players franchises build around. They are ALL scorers. Anthony Davis is incredible on the defensive end but he has yet to prove he can be a dominant offensive player. Right now he looks like a Marcus Camby or Lamarcus Aldridge type, both very good players but not franchise changers. The potential is there to be more, but he may never be anything other than a major defensive presence. He doesn’t have the strength (as Charles alluded to) to be a Shaq or Dwight Howard. NBA teams will be “hoping” he develops into some type of offensive force by drafting him #1, but it is definitely a risk. I think all Charles is saying is that Anthony Davis is not a sure thing, and I agree 100% with him.

42. KSRBluesman
    1:24 am December 19, 2011 Permalink

I care who finishes first in the ncaa not where someone is selected in the nba Davis does need more weight and outside shooting to be a pf

43. Carl
    8:31 am December 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree with Barkley. AD could use another year of working on his post game; gaining some weight and establishing his position around the basket.

44. Rupp's ghost
    9:05 am December 19, 2011 Permalink

UK will gladly accept Sir Charles donation for a new weight room. Perhaps he would like to help with a donation to the UK football team also.

45. Kwildcat
    9:31 am December 19, 2011 Permalink

yeah – and the whole world liked Barkley in his college days…..if he only could LOSE WEIGHT….he was so fat you should post a pic of him as the Round Moud of Rebound!!! C’Mon both are gonna be great players and Chuck, is well just being Chuck. Worst golf swing in the history of golf.

46. nassau65
    9:37 am December 19, 2011 Permalink

28. why yes, yes i do. It’s not a lot, but probably more than you make being an azzhole. I just know your mom’s proud of raising such a prick.

47. Jase
    10:44 am December 19, 2011 Permalink

The first time I saw Tayshaun Prince play in a high school all-star game, I thought that he resembled a WW2 concentration camp survivor, he was so thin. I also thought that after he graduated he would struggle in the NBA because of a lack of strength. I was very wrong. If Tayshaun could be a great player in the NBA, then Davis could be an even greater player.

48. The White Mandingo
    12:31 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Everyone can’t be a fatty like you Chuck!

49. SagaciousMind
    3:59 pm December 19, 2011 Permalink

Barnes just hasnt been that impressive. As for Davis, of course he’s still thin, he just hit that growth spurt not all that long ago. He hasnt had time to bulk up and grow into his frame. But he has broad shoulders and he will only get bigger as the year goes on. Also, I can easily see MKG and Davis both back on the team next year.