Latest Draft Express rankings and mock drafts are out

He’s got this.

The fine people over at DraftExpress.com have updated their Top 100 rankings, 2013 Mock Draft and 2014 Mock Drafts this afternoon, and predictably, the Cats are all over it, particularly Nerlens Noel, whom they name the #1 prospect and the #1 pick in the 2013 Draft. Have a look:

Top 100:
1. Nerlens Noel
13. Alex Poythress
14. Archie Goodwin
34. Willie Cauley-Stein

2013 Mock Draft:
1. Nerlens Noel — Charlotte Bobcats
13. Alex Poythress — Phoneix Suns (from the Lakers)
14. Archie Goodwin — Charlotte Bobcats (from the Trailblazers)

2014 Mock Draft:
1. Andrew Wiggins
2. Julius Randle
3. Andrew Harrison
4. Aaron Gordon
12. Aaron Harrison
13. Willie Cauley-Stein

Second Round
28. Ryan Harrow

That 2014 Mock Draft is just scary.

34 Comments for Latest Draft Express rankings and mock drafts are out

1. slimflannery
    2:14 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

wish that the two-year rule went into effect this year.

2. henry earl
    2:15 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

I think we’ll keep Willie but I’m really hoping Poythress stays too

3. adam
    2:18 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Whoever left James Young off the 2014 mock should be kicked right in the nuts.

4. BBN
    2:18 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

I just can’t see how Archie Goodwin can go that high in the draft. However, I hope he does go after this season. Can you imagine him arguing / fighting with the Harrison twins next year? A complete cluster f*ck in team chemistry would result.

5. Duck Butter
    2:19 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

I understand going to the draft is a business decision. But anyone on this team not named Nerlens Noel is only going to the draft because they’d rather play in the D-league than lose their playing time to next year’s freshmen. And that is just a sad reflection of the state of college basketball in general.

6. BNClay
    2:25 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Do these people even watch the games? No way AP or AG should be 1st rounders, is this draft class really that bad?

7. Jus Sayin
    2:26 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

People who dont understand why Archie Goodwin keeps coming up simply do not understand what it takes to succeed in the NBA. He can LEARN to pass and slow down. The kid is a hardworker as well. You cant teach 6’5 and a 40 inch vertical.

8. bmt22033
    2:29 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

@3 – I’m agree! James Young being absent from that list is almost criminal.

9. Susan
    2:30 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

I would love to see the Charlotte Bobcats with MKG, Nerlens and Archie!

10. henry earl
    2:32 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

9 that would be awesome

11. Duck Butter
    2:35 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

7.) I get what you’re saying and I fully understand that he would be drafted on potential. For me, he is a prime example of why kids don’t need to go to the draft early. How many players in the NBA are 6’4 right handed drivers? I really doubt he’d start next year but why is that so unacceptable that he would need to leave before developing any of his game to turn into a lotto pick? Defense, passing, ambidexterity, shooting all need drastic improvement.

12. Chad
    2:35 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Next years bench will be better than this years starters

13. MN CAT
    2:37 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

5. Cauley-Stein should come back, but if he does, he won’t be losing playing time to anyone. If he comes back, he will be a force for us next year.

14. I Say
    2:41 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

A sophmore WCS is a top 5 pick in my opinion. And I really dont get why everyone wants to see uk players play on the same team as each other. I would rather watch them be succesful and win somewhere else.

15. AWAT
    2:42 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Like I have told some of my friends many times, other than the Top 5-6 picks (those guys are usually expected to make an immediate impact), the NBA drafts on POTENTIAL. They look at guys like Cauley-Stein, Archie and Poythress and see the POTENTIAL those guys have. With the class we have coming in, looks like we will return Wiltjer, Harrow and more than likely Willie. Add in Polson who gets better and better every year. WOW!! We are going to be deep!

16. JROBTMFHT
    2:46 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Archie’s left hand is actually pretty good, especially when he dunks. He can go between the legs with either hand. It’s really just control problems, an inconsistent jumper, and moderate(not severe) maturity issues. His upside far outweighs his current shortcomings if you’re thinking long term. In a year like this, these things signal lottery pick.

17. Tubby
    2:50 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

If Ryan harrow is an NBA point guard, then so was Saul smith. What a joke

18. Realist
    2:58 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

7 and 16 said it. As much as he frustrates people in BBN… Archie is a 6’5 (and growing) freak athlete. He has well above average ball handling for a SG. Plus he’s a great kid and a hard worker. His downsides are that he has a lot to learn about th game, cant shoot, and can hog the ball at times. But he has this in common with atleast 50% of the SG in the NBA.

19. Blue4ever
    3:29 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Poythress at #13 and Goodwin #14 prove that I know absolutely nothing nada zilich about basketball anymore.

#5 – I agree wholeheartedly. When Poythress and Goodwin sign their contracts they might as well hand them bus tickets and say “Welcome to Erie” “Welcome to Bakersfield…..”

20. rnewton22
    3:45 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

If I was a NBA owner, I’d fire my GM if he drafted Poythress or Godwin in the first round.

21. Mc
    3:50 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

#11. I understand your point. There are really two sides to the argument and you can’t really argue it because both sides will feel they’re opinions are correct. In my opinion he can still develop his game in the NBA or D-League while getting paid to do it. His draft stock has little upside in returning especially with the draft class in 2014.

22. Big Blue Swagger
    3:56 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

If UK makes a deep run in the tourny, I don’t see WCS returning next season. Even with his limited overall experience playing basketball, he is still executing better than most of our team. I think he could potentially go in top 10 if he continues to play well this year. However, if in late March, he is still predicted to go late in first or early second round, then I think it would behoove him to stay and better his status for next year. Hell, if Orton got drafted in first round his freshman year, I see no reason that WCS couldn’t go this year at an even higher draft pick.

23. brain
    4:06 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Some real morons here that don’t understand the draft, after the top 5 or 6 picks, is all about potential. AP and AG have it in large quantities.

24. Cat 97
    4:13 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

17 – I agree Harrow is not an NBA player, but don’t compare him to Saul Smith. He is WAY better then Saul in every way other then maybe hustle plays.

25. duffus
    4:20 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Hmmm Is that a female vandy fan about to go naked in the upper deck or she just showing her ass!

26. schwing
    4:22 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

omg, could we have draft picks 1-4 next year? holy $h1+.

27. RaleighCat
    4:57 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

I agree on the “potential” arguement but disagree that Poythress and Goodwin have much of it. Neither has a discernable NBA skill right now. Zero. You guys must not watch much NBA basketball to think they could make a roster right now. Even the really bad NBA teams wouldn’t play either Goodwin or Poythress in mop up time. They might as well change their names to DNP-CD or DNP-Inactive.

Noel should go. But that’s it. Maybe Goodwin and Pothress could get drafted somewhere in the 20’s? I just don’t see it. But that’s a crappy contract compared to what a lottery pick gets. It’ll be really interesting to see how Calipari handles these guys. What’s really in their best interest from an NBA standpoint?

28. Mc
    4:58 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

I agree that the NBA does a lot of drafting based on potential. However, I don’t agree that it’s always outside of the top 5 or 6. I’d argue that players like Thabeet, Darko, Kanter, Valanciunas….were drafted on potential. I’d also argue that players outside of 5-6 are drafted on talent like Klay Thompson and Danny Granger. Each team has their own rationale regardless of the pick number. For a weak draft, why not draft on potential? Since players aren’t in college as long it’s harder to determine who’s drafted on potential vs. skill. Was Dwight Howard (1) drafted on potential? Was Josh Smith (17)? What about Kobe? Was Ben Gordon drafted 3rd on skill?

29. mudcreekmark
    5:05 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

If I’m going to take a player based on potential I’d pick WCS over Goodwin and Poythress any day of the week. You cannot teach seven feet tall. A seven footer is worth taking a chance on, a 6’4″ shooting guard that isn’t a very good college player is not.

30. bestprospect
    5:10 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

WCS is the best NBA prospect on this team hands down. Noel cant shoot from 3 feet from the basket, and has no touch. The difference between him and AD is AD could step out and hit a jumper, dribble the ball, and attack the rim. Noel cant do any of that but can be a shutdown defender…… WCS is just an athlete and his potential is through the roof! If Archie could develope some type of shot i think he would be very dangerous but until then i dont know what use he would be on an NBA team…

31. mudcreekmark
    5:13 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

27) You hit it on the head. Name me one thing that Goodwin does well that would make anyone think he could succeed in the NBA. He not only cannot shoot the three, he cannot shot a mid range jumper, and he hasn’t even tried a floater that I can remember. Liggins was drafted in the second round and he had two things that Goodwin don’t he could shoot the ball enough to keep the defense honest and he was a lock down defender who could guard the best guards in the nation. Poythress has no motor and cannot handle the basketball well enough to take the ball to the hole and he is terrible on defense.

32. Tubby
    7:07 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Uh, 24, go back & look @ the film seriously. And, he’s not as good as ford or sparks. Sparks is still playing over seas.

33. Mc
    8:00 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

27) I think they both have potential physically and athletically.. Poythress is just passive and soft, and Goodwin can’t shoot. If he could hit a floater he’d be ok, but needs a consistent shot. They both have a lot of work to do to be nba ready. That’s clear, but that’s not the point. They can go and be top 20 picks. That’s not my opinion, that’s expert opinions with access to nba general managers. They can go, get guaranteed money and develop in the nba or d league or they could come back, possibly not start and be a late first round pick. Develop a little, and still end up in the d league. That’s their options. Go, get paid, and develop. Or stay, develop a little, and get paid a little less assuming they don’t get injured. You can’t believe if they come back that they’ll magically become top 5 picks with the draft class of 2014 do you? Whether you guys think they’re draftable means nothing, because they’re getting drafted in the first round.

34. Bobbum man
    9:38 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait Til about 2 or 3 years from now when there will be some nba teams really loaded with UK players I need a nba team to cheer for