Latest Bracketology has the Cats as a 9 seed in the South

The latest Bracketology is out and the Cats are on the rise! Joe Lunardi predicts the Cats will be a 9 seed in the South Region, facing off against #8 Wisconsin in Philadelphia, with a potential third round matchup with #1 Duke. Rematch!

Lunardi’s other #1 seeds are Florida, Indiana and Michigan.

Let’s hear your thoughts in 3…2…1…

44 Comments for Latest Bracketology has the Cats as a 9 seed in the South

1. Atticus
    11:31 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

That would be a TERRIBLE match up.

2. #9 in 14
    11:32 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

This team is awful and I could care less. Next year however, we win it all.

3. Dusten
    11:32 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

I’d be terrified if I were a duke fan.

4. Dusten
    11:34 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

Hey #2, you sound like the best kind of fan.

5. I liked being a 10 seed better
    11:34 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

Wisconsin is a horrible draw. They play tremendous defense and capitalize on mistakes made by opposing teams.

6. Ryne
    11:35 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

love this bracket

7. stratblend
    11:38 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

I’m secretly hoping for an 11 seed. I’m more confident in beating a 6 and a 3 to reach the Sweet 16 than being a 9 and having to take on an 8 and a 1.

8. Jus Sayin
    11:38 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

Wisconsin is the worst possible matchup for us.

9. Jake_GOCATS
    11:38 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

I like it. If we would beat Wisconsin and had to play duke, I like our chances. Considering we only got beat by 8 in the second game of the year.

10. GlassHalfFull
    11:38 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

#2- ur a fair weather fan and a disgrace to the BBN. Don’t come around when this team turns it around. Go be a UL fan.

11. Brandon
    11:40 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

Glad to see us on the rise! In my opinion, we will end up around a #6 seed.

12. FrankTheTank
    11:42 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

Lots of time between now and then. We need to get a lot better and hopefully we will. If we were to play Wisconsin on a neutral site right now the game would be a “pick em”. IF we were able to squeak by Wisconsin, we would probably be a 6 pt underdog vs Duke. And for some reason I think I would like our chances better against Duke than I would against Wisconsin.
    If we win the games left on our schedule that we should win, we won’t go in any higher than a 7 seed. We need to avoid the 8-9 game if at all possible!

13. Special Kitty
    11:46 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

Agree with 2) except that I “couldn’t” care less.

14. kevin
    11:48 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

Thats loaded! Not afraid of Puke but KS, UNLV, Mich St… holy cow!

15. Thisteamsucksass
    11:48 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

First of all if we won the rest of our games we’d prolly be a 2 or 3 seed. But if it played out like this I think these guys could beat a Duke team without Kelly.

16. emlang08
    11:52 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

I agree Wisconsin is a terrible draw, but given their remaining schedule, I can see them losing 4-5 more games giving them either 11 or 12 Losses on the year, definitely not an 8 seed! Not to mention there are plenty of potential losses remaining on Duke’s schedule to keep them from #1….. I think we will finish somewhere between a 5-8 seed.

17. cracka
    11:56 am February 5, 2013 Permalink

gotta check out the sportsnation poll – is indiana the favorite to win the ship this year … only state out of 50 that voted yes is indiana

18. big j dawg
    12:00 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

I want no part of a Wisconsin-Duke combo to get to the sweet 16.
    I would venture to say we wouldn’t even make it to the round of 32

19. bloobloodcat
    12:01 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

I agree w/14 about this potential bracket being loaded. As for Duke, I have already started ribbing my Duke fan friends telling them I am praying for this potential Sunday meeting with Duke in Philly. I have actually designed fliers for the party and am ready to send them out for everyone to join me for the game as the Cayts knock the silly Dukies out of the tournament before the sweet 16!!! That would make this year a success in my eyes. I know that is silly but I would love to send them home and we are more than capable of doing it IMO.

20. Hobcat
    12:01 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

There was once a pretty good UK-Duke game in Philly.

21. Flyer
    12:08 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

I’d rather have the 11 seed in Dayton. Knock off C.J Leslie and the wolfpack and then the Dirty birds!

22. MCB2012
    12:09 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

I’ll take a 10 seed in the west…

23. Dirty Water
    12:09 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Wisconsin plays a style that kills momentum and ensures they capitalize on mistakes, something we do a lot of. I still think we can beat them, but it would be a closer game in my opinion, than it would be if we played Duke. There’s still a lot of time/games ’til then and I think of we don’t have anymore injuries or mishaps, we’ll start clicking and become a very dangerous team capable of getting to the elite 8, and possibly the final 4. Time will tell. Oh, and No. 2, crawl back in whatever hole you came out of. You’re a fair weather fan and BBN doesn’t need someone like you making the rest of us look bad.

24. MemphisCat
    12:10 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

I know Coach K will not let this happen, there is “Zero” chance that UK and Duke are in the same bracket. With Kelly out, we can beat them the second time around.

25. TheIntensity
    12:15 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

All Wisconsin does in shoot 18 footers. They are terrible and cannot score more than 50 points in a game. Cats would win by 15.

26. Marcus L. Owens
    12:16 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

First we defeat FLA on Feb 12th killing all this 9 or 11 seed talk. Win out, then SEC tourney, get a 4 seed. If you dont believe that then you arent TRUE BLUE in my opinion.

27. Rae
    12:27 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Too difficult a draw for Duke. No way would they let Kentucky or Wisconsin be the second round matchup. Both those teams actually have a shot of beating them.

28. UKBlue1!
    12:28 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

A smell UL trolls.

29. Smitty
    12:30 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

26…. You can be “true blue” without believing that…. I suppose you think we are going to go undefeated every season?

30. Chicago Chris
    12:31 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Hate the 8/9 and then play 1. Gotta get to a 7 or 6… or better to be a 10 or 11.

On the other hand, beat the 1 and then effectively have their draw.

31. Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
    12:33 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Wisconsin always has good metrics, and nearly always underperforms against good teams late in the season. They’ve had plenty of Elite Eight caliber teams the last few years, and nothing to show for it. I wouldn’t mind them as a first round match up.

But the prospect of playing any #1 seed in the second round is a reminder that being seeded 10th-12th might be better than being seeded 8th-9th. (I haven’t given up hope that we end up with a 5 or 6 seed.)

32. Dave in Christian Co
    12:34 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

#7 – I agree if the Cats don’t jump up to get a 6, I’d rather see us get the 11. Beat Mizzou, split with Florida, get to Sunday in the SECT and a 6 is realistic.

33. HenryvilleCat
    12:40 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Wisconsin would have little chance of guarding our players straight up…If UK played them they would have to zone…this scares me because of having too few three point threats and lack of rebounding….tough matchup IMHO…but not impossible

34. DrSayre
    12:47 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Not just Duke, but Duke in Philadelphia! Good chance to erase a lot of bad memories!

35. Al's IndiCats
    12:48 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Man, Looking at the baracket, with Wisconson, duke, MSU, this would give Uvel and or IU a straight walk through the tourney with little or no bumps in the road at all!

36. DesignatedDrinker
    12:49 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

We are the rich mans Wisconsin. Play elite defense and struggle on offense. And we don’t have outside shooters?!? Pretty sure Wiltjer has been our only consistent offensive threat(41% from 3). Poythress at 46% and Mays at 37% and rising aren’t bad options either. Please zone us. Bandwagon UK fans are the worst.

37. Jackson Purchase
    1:11 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky vs Duke in Philly thats awesome

38. Anywhere
    1:21 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

As long as I see Kentucky on a line in the bracket, anywhere is fine with me. I’m sure it will be make a nervous wreck out of the opponent, but that would work.

39. shelbyjoe
    2:04 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

the committee will do everything they can to put us in the same bracket as either Louisville, or IU – and I’m betting IU.

40. big blue fever
    2:18 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

how awesome would it be to be a number 8 seed and win our first game and face Indiana in round 2 and knock them off. Best feeling ever

41. John Ellis
    2:53 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

I think UK will be a dark horse, depending on the draw. Matchups crucial. Texas A&M an example of a matchup that makes a game UK should win trouble.

Please remember that the push to get rid of Tubby was when he had a team with an RPI of 13, got an eight seed and had a similar record. It will be tough for this team not to end up with 10 losses. Might have to beat Florida at least twice to do that. To date Cal and Tubby have very similar records, just one more FF for Cal. Hope we don’t play Minnesota, that would not be a good matchup.

Nerlans is getting screwed on national attention because he followed Davis. Last week he was Davis.

42. Atticus
    3:06 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

You cannot equate the situation that Tubby came into (Pition – 2 straight title games/1 title/talent returning) and what Cal dealt with after Billy. Comparing apples and …….. radishes. I mean seriously.

43. STEVE!
    3:19 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

Tubby only went to one Final Four in 10 years at UK. Cal has been to two in three years. Tubby went downhill each of his first three years. Cal has gone up. How can you say they have very similar records?

44. Matt Jones' Barber
    3:29 pm February 5, 2013 Permalink

#41 I can play that game too. Actually coach Cal has twice as many final fours as Tubby. Not to mention he’ll argue with the refs every now and then. That’s one thing I hated. Tubby just sat there and took it in the later years. No will at all.