Latest Bracketology has Cats as a 10 seed

The latest Bracketology is out and Joe Lunardi has the Cats in a the 10 seed in the East, playing UNLV in Philadelphia. Lunardi projects Louisville, Duke, Indiana, and Kansas as the four number one seeds, with the Cards and the Hoosiers playing their second and third round games in Lexington.

If the Cats got past UNLV, they would face the winner of the (2) Syracuse/(15) Davidson game, which has me in hypothetical hysterics if Davidson could upset the Orangmen. (Don’t get ahead of yourself, Tyler. It’s only January.)

How do you feel about Lunardi’s latest projections?

53 Comments for Latest Bracketology has Cats as a 10 seed

1. therealtjpettrey
    11:16 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

I would not mind playing Syracuse in the 2nd rd..not one bit.

2. NIT
    11:18 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

This projection was made prior to us getting beat by Texas A&M.

3. bmt22033
    11:18 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

I feel sad. That’s how I feel. Because I think he’s probably right based on what we’ve seen thus far. And maybe even a tad bit too generous. I still believe in this team but I’m not an *eternal* optimist, so…..

4. bmt22033
    11:21 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

@2 – no, this is a new bracket updated today. I think he previously had UK as a 7 seed.

5. Big Whoop
    11:23 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

I’m surprised he has us that high after A&M. I see UNC and us losing in the first round of the NIT just to get the season over with.

6. Rise
    11:25 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

If the tourney started today we would lose to UNLV in the first round.

7. ATB (Always True Blue)
    11:27 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

I would take that in a second. We can beat every team in that bracket.

8. Benedict Thompson
    11:27 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

Cats a 10 seed? Sounds about right to me… What do you say mrs “I’ve given Up on this team that is no good” tt?

9. ATB (Always True Blue)
    11:28 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

#7, Also, I must ask have you actually watched UNLV play? I am thouroughly unimpressed. I am equally unimpressed with the Cats.

10. emlang08
    11:31 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

Come March, we could beat UNLV and Syracuse. Too many UK fans are spoiled from Cal’s Ability to get the young team last year to “GET IT” as soon as they did, this team will “GET IT” before it is too late.

11. asdf
    11:33 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

While I still think this team WILL improve significantly, right now even a #10 seed is being generous. If we were not Kentucky, we would not be in this bracketology at all.

12. emlang08
    11:34 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

Don’t forget we were 29-9 in 2010-2011, losing by one to UConn in the final 4!

13. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    11:36 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

9 – Did you even read my post or just the bolded parts? My point was that I’m putting down the expectations and enjoying the ride. I’ve accepted this isn’t last year, and that this team shouldn’t be held to those expectations. This team may not be very good right now, but that doesn’t mean they won’t figure it out come March. I’ll enjoy watching it happen.

14. dave
    11:37 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

not a good draw.
    unlv — cuse — tOSU/unc — duke: all just to get to final 4? lucky to get to sweet 16…

15. NoMoreWiltjer
    11:38 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

At least we are not “the last four in” yet…..

16. FOOTBALL NOTE
    11:41 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

Lets go after the Defensive End that LANE KIFFIN just screwed over. KYLIE FITTS. He had decommitted!!

17. WeShallSee
    11:41 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

I’m glad I snatched up NCAA tourney tix for Rupp. Looks like I’ll have some people to sell them to if the Cards and Hoosiers come to our beautiful little city.

18. Fail
    11:43 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

7 that’s a stupid comment to make, seeing as though the tourney will not be starting today. Your point is invalid bc it’s about a hypothetical situation that will not happen.

19. Raging Against the Machine
    11:43 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

We don’t want any part of a zone-heavy team.

20. woodworm
    11:43 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

how about we get in as a 16 seed and become the first team to knock off a #1, say iu, duhvill, dook, kansas?

21. dusty380
    11:45 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

Hope to hell someone blows this pic up into a 10 foot poster and puts a copy in the locker room and in every room in Coal lodge!

22. Viren
    11:51 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky will get in the big dance, unless we have a huge let down rest of the way. We will get the benefit of the doubt because NCAA would love nothing more than big name school getting upset in the first round.

23. emlang08
    11:52 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

#22 – That’s a Helluva great idea!! Cal – DO IT!

24. TAXman
    11:52 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

We barely beat a Vandy zone, and lost because of Texas A&M zone. WE CAN’T HANDLE A ZONE! Why would you want to play Syracuse, the team that specializes in zone defense?

25. Jezz
    11:53 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

Name recognition. Our resume is awful I’m not even sure we should even be in here.

Let’s get better. Please start a win streak. PLEASE.

26. If a all possible
    11:54 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

The NCAA Tourney will do everythng possible to get KY in for 1 reason. They need the BBN that travel and fill seats and spend money. When you watch the early rounds. The gyms in many locations are empty. Just my thought.

27. 16 Seed
    11:55 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

#21, love that thought. Our goal is a 16 seed and rock the world. Would love to play an Indiana, Louisville, or other high seed in the first round. They would just freeze up at the thought of having to play the Cats in a first round game. Would love it.

28. 16 Seed
    11:56 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

However I suspect the NCAA would rather leave us out than put us in at a 15/16 seed. No team would want to play us. Just think of the conversations..

29. Roger Dorn
    11:57 am January 15, 2013 Permalink

I just hope they make the tournament. We’ve been saying all season, “it’s early, be patient”. We look around, it’s mid January and they still look like poop. Alex Disapoythress is no where close to “getting it”. I hope they can improve immediately because we are a blown shot clock violation away from being 0-2 in the crappy SEC. Doesn’t look good. Get Poythress a Tulsa 66ers uniform.

30. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    12:04 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

#19 – Unless you were being ironic, which I’m guessing you wasn’t, you have no business calling that comment stupid since this whole damn post is hypothetical and won’t happen. Think before you bash. And I actually agree with #7, UNLV and Mr. Bennett, would give this team fits as of right now.

31. MC
    12:04 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

#19. He’s commenting on a topic that is based on a hypothetical bracket. So you’re basically saying every comment on here is stupid.

32. Me Too
    12:05 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

More sincere congratulations to Louisville. It wouldn’t be a true rivalry if the “other” team didn’t win every now and then.

33. ONE EYE
    12:11 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I trust that coach will salvage this season and make BBN proud 🙂 I can’t wait till 7pm

34. B-man
    12:18 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

In my opinion, college BB is down this year. There are a handful of teams that, as of today, legitimately stand out from the remainder of the pack. I really don’t see that large of a gap between 10-12 seeded teams when compared to the 3-5 seeded teams. For example (and I’m not picking on UC), but they are a projected 5 seed and if you look at their resume thus far, it is not impressive. They lost to Notre Dame at home, they lost to New Mexico at home and they lost to St Johns at home. They really don’t have any impressive wins (like UK). If anything, I would think a road loss to ND is more palatable than a home loss. I am not saying that UK should be seeded higher than UC…just sayin the distance between the two isn’t much.

35. catnacradle
    12:19 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I’d say this means about as much as if we were projected to be a 1# seed. Still a lot of games left to play.

36. KWHY?
    12:19 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

OK CAL, U PROVEN YOU CAN WIN WITH FRESHMEN, YOU ALSO PROVEN CANNOT WIN WITHOUT UPPERCLASSMEN SO I GIVE YOU ONE YEAR TO FIGURE IT OUT!

37. Jason
    12:26 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I think Joe is being generous. I don’t even think Kentucky deserves to be on the bubble right now.

38. National Champs
    12:28 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

The only way this team makes the big dance is by winning the SEC tourney.

39. Come on man
    12:40 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

We challenge the NCAA to make UK a 15/16 seed.

40. Agreed
    12:40 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

31 and 32 – the difference is that this is hypothetical but could happen. We could end up playing UNLV in the tourney. The tourney being played today WILL NOT happen. I agree that they could be us today, but that has no bearing on if this bracket were to stay in place 2 months from now.

41. jim tom
    12:51 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

25–i don’t recall a&m playing zone

42. Jughead
    12:51 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I see a big, fat NIT in the future. Poythress is a NITwit.

43. Jughead
    12:56 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Let me clarify-I can refer to a UK player as a NITwit because I am as dumb as a rock. Point made, if I had one…

44. Philly girl
    1:03 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I already have tickets in Philly so this would be a dream. Temple has no fans so I got in for lower level for Philly. There are no good East teams so they’ll have to send some teams this way.

45. jim jim
    1:24 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

If we dont get our act together we are not going to have any seed. I hope they start get it and string some good wins together

46. Blue4ever
    1:52 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

#10 seed? Purdy generous.

47. big blue fever
    2:03 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

If we are going to get in the tourney we need to beat Florida one of the two times we play them and no crappy losses the rest of the way

48. Cardinals
    2:43 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

While you fags are busy trying to figure out what y’all need to do to get ranked.. WE WILL BE BUSY BEING NUMBER ONE!! CARDNATION

49. Indiana*Minnesota
    2:56 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Mark it down, whatever bracket we are in is going to have Indiana and Minnesota, set up in such a way that we win and they win, we will have to play both. This is a way for the NCAA to poke Cal in the eye. They want to give Tubby a chance at “redemption” he has a good team… and if we start to roll, they want to give IU the chance to smack us for dumping them. Minnesota as 3 and IU as the 1 in our bracket,…for sure.

50. KWHY?
    3:50 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

THATS COOL CARDINALS…EVEN A GARBAGE CAN GETS A STEAK!!

51. Jughead
    4:14 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

It’s sad, but I see UT having a solid chance tonight. They would win if Maymon were healthy. Cats just don’t have huevos at this point, and they would have a huevo-bump already if they were going to drop before March. Instead, they remain in their soft pre-pubescent home.

Except Noel. Giant huevos.

52. pro scout
    5:12 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Someone is not listening… UK will be FORTUNATE to get a seed in the NIT. When Baylor beat UK in Rupp it was evident that this UK team was NOT a top 50 team. I haven’t seen anything yet that has changed my mind.