Late Saturday Night Notes

steve-zahn-fan-of-the-day

I love this picture, but I’m scared to know where his hand is to make Steve Zahn react like that.  A few late notes…

– Hey, did you guys hear the big news?  DeAndre Liggins is on Twitter!  Seriously, that’s the big news of the day.  The half man/half mindfreak has some information on his account about his upcoming appearances across the state, including one today at Fayette Mall.  Some people are very excitedSome people are douches.  DeAndre will take his new social media tool to Charlotte today for a workout with the Bobcats and then Indiana on Monday and New Jersey on Tuesday.

– With really nothing else worthy of mention taking place Saturday, I found myself with a new fascination:  Dwight Anderson.  I’m not sure if this makes me an awful fan, but I honestly don’t think I’ve ever heard his name and with the trailer for his documentary came a new interest.  My curiosity is not necessarily from his film or his fall from grace, but more so from hearing the stories people told in the comments section about what a phenomenal athlete he was.  Anyone can look good on a highlight film, but the way people talked about him in the thread made him sound like he was set to be a legend.  Tell me more.  I must know more.

– I really hate to admit this, but I’ve spent a small amount of time over the past few weeks watching “Swamp Studs”, which is a series of videos on Urban Meyer – I mean Will Muschamp’s – official page.  It’s essentially a Jay Leno bit pulled off by Riley Cooper and Steven Wilks on the University of Florida campus.  I originally hoped that I’d be able to pull something awful off of it and we could all laugh, but I’m sad to say that episode 4 was pretty funny.  You can watch it here.  And then we’ll never talk about it again and we’ll keep it as our little secret.  Deal?  Good.  Thanks.

– I know it’s late and you’re online.  For some, that means there’s a temptation to visit websites that may or may not be family appropriate.  Luckily for you, you can fight that urge off by visiting non-threatening and morally acceptable sites like the Courier-Journal.  Nothing titillating or improper over there.

courier-journal-tweet

Wait, what!?!?!

– Finally, congratulations to our good friends at the University of Louisville for stepping into the 20th century and launching the official WordPress blog of Louisville football.  Sources close to KSR have confirmed that the first announcement will be that Louisville has agreed to wear Reebok Pumps for the upcoming season followed by releases stating Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium will serve Pepsi Clear and will send score updates directly to your pager.  Cutting edge stuff over there for the Cards.  And don’t forget to send them your news tidbits.

That’s it for now.  We’ll end this with a short announcement of small-to-medium sized good news for all of you.  As of you reading this, I’ve officially ended my tenure as KSR blog overlord and will no longer be writing on the site.  It’s been a fun ride and I’m thankful for Matt for letting me share in the fun over the past three and a half years.  I’ll miss you all.

Actually, I’m just going to be gone for a week.  And I really won’t miss you all that much.  But you’re free to pretend that I’m never returning if you like.  The first step in making something become a reality is believing in your heart and mind that it’s true.  See you next Monday.  And happy birthday to my sister.  I’d tell you that I’d be nothing without you, but that would be a lie.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

47 Comments for Late Saturday Night Notes

1. FakeDrewFranklin
    1:38 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

I guess that means more Drew Franklin?

2. Kevin Galloway
    1:39 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

I hear BTI’s running the site now.

3. Parker
    2:02 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

I’m not gonna lie I was looking forward for 4 more years of Lentz. More swimming posts…. Until he has a nervous breakdown from the pressure of being the first ginger to be a moderator and ms. Tyler takes over

4. Parker
    2:05 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Less drew franklin 1:00 pm posts more 2:30 am naughty live logs which mean more carruths entourage so thats a plus

5. The Vig
    2:42 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Personally I think these Jim Bob’s talking like they remember Anderson and how great he was are just unraked leaves that want to sound relevant.

His freshman year he played extensive minutes. It was an off year and we weren’t ranked. Don’t act like you saw John Wall and Brandon Knight in him back then.

Back to reality and a decent year by a freshman player (with a drug issue) on a subpar UK team.

6. Blaineman
    2:57 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Question….Now that the Live KSTV casting calls are wrapped up, when will you guys start to review the online submitted videos?

7. The Vig
    2:59 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Anderson’s Numbers:

Year………Class…….Pts……Assists….Rebounds
    Freshmen…1978-1979…..13.3…….2.2……..2.9
    Sophmore…1979-1980…..10.7…….2.6……..1.2

Damn, that’s the next Michael Jordan. Ha!

Clark Kellogg (and whoever else is behind this) is taking an unknown with Kentucky’s nameplate and cashing in on the story.

Did the kid have potential? Every player Kentucky signs should have potential (we will forget the majority of Tubby a& BCG recruits in that assessment).

8. The Vig
    3:15 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

For context, Ramel Bradley averaged similar number to Anderson over his entire career at UK, shoot just slightly less from the field in percentage (yet with a higher free throw average).

For Ramel’s Jr and Senior season, when he was playing similar minutes Anderson got in 78-79, he had better number (pts, assists, rebounds) shooting a slightly lower percentage (keep in mind the 3 point line didn’t exist in 78-79) and Ramel’s trigger happy long distance impulses.

When are they doing a movie on Smooth?

9. BPsycho
    3:18 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

“I’ve officially ended my tenure as KSR blog overlord and will no longer be writing on the site. It’s been a fun ride and I’m thankful for Matt for letting me share in the fun over the past three and a half years. I’ll miss you all.”

I honestly stopped reading after that to have a panic attack…. A little excessive? maybe… but **** you. Thankfully before logging out forever I realized there were a few more sentences.

Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!Beisner!!!!Beisner!!!!!!

10. JBR
    3:43 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Any youngsters on here just looking at stats on D Anderson are just wrong…I remember watching him, and he was the real deal…the kid was a freak athlete and generated buzz like all the UK greats when he came in. I will admit, I was not old enough to care about the details of what happened with regards to his transfer (and back then, we did not have the internet to inform us of every minute detail of everything), but I was old enough to worship his ability. The kid was an absolute stud on the court.

11. RidgeRunner
    4:13 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Please Beis and other KSR writers..do not take this as a dig, seriously.

But I am amazed how at times the lack of KSR writers historical memory, research, (whatever ya wanna call it -as it applies) on some UK stuff that was relevant and rather easy to attain. Ms Tyler I noted some time back never knew that Marquis Teague has an NBA brother and thats not even “history”. Anyway, I guess I have ya guys and gals on too much of a pedastal but…yeah, Dwight Anderson really was big the short time he was here and you can be 18 years old NOW to know how to rearch the dynasty of UK. So, ya can’t blame not being old enough to know of UK and it’s past…research I would think would be what is fun and informative as a true UK fan. Again, This is not a knock (Just an observation) -but it really surprises me to see how little KSR writers know about what makes up our legacy.

Damn, I miss summers in Canada with UK playing…LOL

12. RidgeRunner
    4:16 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

–at least the writers on here spell better than I do. ^^

13. HuntsVegas
    4:33 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

OK………. JBR said it best. I’m a little younger than him but WTF #KIDS? Whatever. We didn’t know what a Michael Jordan type player was and now they all get paid. This kid screwed up and went to USC. He didn’t turn his back on UK….

* KSR needs a researcher. I could do that crap from Alabama. I have no problems with the typos. *

14. RidgeRunner
    4:43 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Oh & everyday we get one post at least on KSR’s Casting Call.. Speaking of that, ummm…hey Matt:

Note to Panel… Make sure they know “some” info on UK’s past. Legacy Knowledge to a degree, should be required!

15. Bg Cat
    5:28 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Vig~ you Have To Look At More Than Stats When Considering Dwight Anderson. Joe B Hall Didnt Rely On Freshman Like They Do Today. A 1st Yr Player Averaging Over 13 Pts A Game For Joe B Is Impressive. D.A. Had The Combination Of Speed And Strength You Just Didnt See In Many Players Back Then. He Would Have Been Scary Good In Cals System If He Were Playing Today.

16. SexnNursinHomes
    8:01 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Beis probably needs a break. Hell, it’s gotta be tough to write something everyday and then get criticized to wall on every word written. These KSR writers are doing effin’ great during a time that UK isn’t too active. Sooooooo anyway, will someone smell my fingers? please.

17. Iwearmy bluesunglassesatnight
    8:09 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

5. I would pay admission to see Dwight Anderson of 78 against John Wall anyday. Sounds like you never saw him play in person but I can assure you he was as quick if not quicker than Wall with better ball control running at a full sprint. I believe the finishing skill of the players were very similiar. With the tools he had, it is easy to see now that Dwight was way into that wacky weed I’m sure morning, noon, and night. I’d like to know what became of him and his future though.

18. enispresley
    8:13 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

I saw Dwight Anderson play in the Derby Classic. He was in the dunk contest and I remember he impressed me and the crowd. I still have a photo of him dunking, but it you can barely see it. I was very excited about him playing at UK. However, Joe B. probably put the breaks on him and with the drug problem he never reached his full potential. I remember being suprised and disappointed when he transfered.

19. E Cat
    8:18 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Someone call Oscar Combs to confirm, but most swear Anderson was the fastest UK player ever. Faster than Wall or Beard. Anderson and Macy spurred one of the greatest UK comebacks of all time at Rupp vs. Kansas. Had the potential to be an NBA All-Star.

20. bosshogg24
    8:25 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Beisner, I feel sorry for you young kids who missed out on Dwight Anderson. Have you ever heard of a group called the Beatles? Ask Digger Phelps about Dwight Anderson, he will tell you all you want to know.

21. Flyingfishman
    8:55 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Anderson was John Wall with a jumpshot. If the 3 pt shot had been around back then more would have been written. You have to also keep in mind that the competition level was high back then. Kids stayed in school for 4 years. I suppose the young ones here have also never seen Dirk Minnefield jump over a Miss St player to dunk. That was the sickest dunk in UK history… maybe NCAA history. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suBxr88mur4

22. bung
    8:59 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

11&13…i agree…. 2 simple research sources for UK Fans should be The Rupp Years by Tev Laudeman and Big Blue Machine by Russell Rice. Interviews with some of our Legends would be nice also. How bout Frank Ramsey……

23. GeezerJock
    9:01 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Guys..VIG just wants a little attention..with his stats, etc. on Anderson.
    I saw every game that D.A. played and he was AMAZING! Did we know that he was a front-runner to Wall or Knight…please ,how could we possiblY have known, BUT LET ME TELL YOU
    he was faster than Knight and just as quick as Wall. When he single-handedly busted a zone (by driving to the basket) to lead a come-back victory over Digger and Notre Dame…Al McGuire stated, “I’ve never seen an athlete like Anderson, a star is born!”

24. bung
    9:02 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

The first made basket I ever saw from behind the backboard over the top was Dwight at USC on a highlight film.

25. Flippy23
    9:14 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Oh yeah……I remember the Blur…..he wasn’t around long, but he was something sensational…..the most athletic player in UK history. He had Jorden/Wall skills……His New Years eve game against Notre Dame will be remembered as a classic. Sad when he left, even sadder what happened later……

26. hoofhearted
    9:28 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know if this makes me old or not, but the the fact that you (TB) have never heard of Dwight Anderson is scary. Because of the nature of recruiting back in the late 70’s, you really didn’t know a whole lot about recruits until they actually started playing. I remember there was definitely a aura around Anderson and how special a player he was. Since freshman rarely had an impact back like they do now, he was an especially exceptional player that really impacted the game. He also played alongside Kyle Macy. Hell of a backcourt.

27. Bluebeard
    9:36 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Good pic of Steve Zahn. I hear that he owns a farm in Lex and is a UK b-ball season ticket holder. A friend of mine has seen him at a couple games. You guys need to get him on KSR to do a show. He could be a great celebrity ambassodor for the Big Blue Nation like Ashley and Josh Hopkins.

28. Cal's Hair
    9:50 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Anderson in Hall’s offense was exactly like Rondo in Tubby’s offense. The difference was that Hall had a lot of other talent that was suited to his offense so there wasn’t a sense of urgency to make Anderson the star. Also the game in general was different back then. Anderson certainly had All American talent and if he had stayed straight could have been one of the best of all times. Such a waste.

29. Megan
    10:04 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Dwight Anderson, whom I believe Al McGuire dubbed “The Blur,” was amazing. The fastest thing I’d ever seen on a basketball court. Like with Wall, you’d find yourself saying out loud, “Wow.” He could take over a game with his speed. And in one such game, McGuire famously declared, “A star is born!” I loved him. He was something else.

30. HallsHeroes
    10:18 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

31. The Vig
    10:28 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

If John Wall played as a freshman in 1978-1979, he would have started over Dwight Anderson.

Please quit acting like John Wall’s come around every year.

32. bung
    10:32 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Bobby Fowler could jump higher….course he went with Leonard…

33. OrvilleofMonkeysEyebrow
    10:46 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Wall might not have played much for Hall due to turnovers…a Dwight Anderson doesnt come along every year….

34. Hoodsgood
    10:50 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Mike Flynn was fast…He and Jimmy Dan Conner were among my Fav guard combos.

35. bung
    10:50 am June 5, 2011 Permalink

Thanks Mr. Beisner

36. #33 – OrvilleofMonkeysEyebrow – Talented drug abusers do come around every year. They are actually a dime a dozen. Just look at the Louisville Cardinals.

The 1978-1979 team was not one of Hall’s best rosters.

37. BTW, I expect all you wrinkle barons to you to wear your Anderson jerseys to Bingo next weekend.

38. Francis the Talking Mule
    12:47 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

Ok. Ok. You want Dwight Anderson notes, well here you go!

Anderson was unquestionably an exceptional talent. He brought fire and excitment to the team much like that of John Wall. The Blur was an altogeter fitting nick name.

Dwight was dismissed from the team after Coach Hall unexpectantly entered a room where Dwight, Sam Bowie, and another player (that I can`t recall) were burning one. Anderson unfortunately, happened to be the one holding the joint, thus the dismissal.

Please understand that this was just the story of the day. It may or may not be accurate.

39. Iwearmybluesunglassesatnight
    1:08 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

37. you too shall be in your 40’s some day! We are well Seasoned Cat Fans, and all that means is our Football team still sucks!

40. Truth over mythology
    1:24 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

Dwight Anderson had an 80 inch vertical, and ran a 3.8 40 yard dash- backwards. He once jumped so high that he kissed not the rim, but the top of the backboard. He could hurdle the rim. He once threw an outlet pass from under one rim to the other, to himself. He once went up to block a shot, and ended up standing on the rim. He was so fast, they made him run back and touch the endline before he could cross halfcourt- and he still beat everyone downcourt. He could hit 30 footers lefthanded. If only Joe B hadn’t held him down, he would have averaged 40 a game, and led UK to an undefeated season.

Blah blah blah blah blah.

Mythology gets stupid after a while, folks. No question he had a lot of talent. The actual achievements with that talent? 3rd team SEC on a 19-12 team, transfer, 20 ppg scorer on a USC team that didn’t make the NCAA’s. 41st pick in the NBA draft.

But yes, he was vastly superior to John Wall.

41. Blaineman
    2:27 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

40: If I didn’t know any better I would think I was picking up a bit of sarcasm from you there… But I do know better…and you sir, are spot on!

42. ukcatzfan
    4:33 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

How could be a cat fan and know dwight anderson

43. cantseecomments
    5:32 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

cantseecomments?????

44. kyauthorsd
    11:08 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

Dwight Anderson was faster than John Wall. Find a clip of the Kansas game to see how Anderson’s quickness and acting ability and Kyle Macy’s coolness under pressure allowed the Cats to make one of their three best comebacks in history.

45. bung
    7:07 am June 6, 2011 Permalink

—-

46. CatBlue in LR
    10:03 am June 6, 2011 Permalink

Never heard of Dwight Anderson, huh?

NEVER HEARD OF DWIGHT ANDERSON???!!!!

Why is the best site for UK basketball info run by children?

47. JackB
    12:13 pm June 6, 2011 Permalink

I am a UK fan from birth practically. I barely recall seeing the Blur play because I was only 9 or 10, and I lived in Tennessee at the time, pre-cable TV, etc., so only saw a few nationally televised games. But I recall loving his game and thinking I had never seen anything like him at the time. And I remember the profound sense of sadness I felt when I heard he was transferring. I will stand by the position that he is one of UK’s greatest players lost to transfer ever.