Late Saturday Night Notes

(AP Photo/James Crisp)

It was a great Saturday with the Cats winning, SEC representing,  Syracuse and Duke going down, and we’ve got NFL on deck for tomorrow. ‘Tis the season for great sports moments! So settle in, here’s a few late night notes before you hit the hay.

Kentucky is your new No. 1

The Fab Mello-less Syracuse Orange lost on the road to Notre Dame this evening, meaning Kentucky will move up to number one in the national rankings. This may not be such a blessing, seeing as the Cats are on the road next week, at Georgia and at Louisiana State. Rowdy crowds ready to knock off a top-ranked team is never a good recipe for success away from home. I don’t know about you, but I was pretty content ranked second without a target on the back. Regardless, Kentucky is back on top of college basketball.

Holy free throws, batman!

Free throws continue to be a major story line for Kentucky, and this afternoon was no different. We saw both sides of the coin today in the Alabama game: An ugly start at the foul line by every standard; at one point Kentucky was 4-11. But, as strange as it sounds, Kentucky won the game at the line scoring its final 15 points with free throws. In the final minute of the game, Kentucky made eight straight. That’s clutch.

Calipari commented on the huge turnaround at the free throw line in the post-game:

I have no idea.  I can’t explain the 14 one‑footers we missed in the first half either.  We missed seven free throws and 14 one‑footers in the first half.  We’re lucky we were in the game.

Two-faced Terrence

I don’t mean that in a bad way. Well, kind of. Let’s take a quick poll: Raise your hand if you were happy with the way Terrence Jones was playing in the first half… No one? Yeah. He was pretty awful. In fact, in the first 14 minutes of the game Kentucky led 19-5 without Jones, and trailed 16-5 with him. But guess who the leading scorer was when it was all said and done? Terrence Jones.

Anthony Davis cools off

We’ve come to expect incredible games every time Davis steps on the court. Unfortunately he did not live up to those lofty expectations today. He scored a modest 11 points, reeled in only nine rebounds, and shot 2-11 from the floor. Plenty of those misses came down low body-to-body against Alabama defenders in that very physical game — Which Alabama coach Anthony Grant said was the team’s main focus of neutralizing Davis. Still, there were plenty of times I was left scratching my head, wondering why he didn’t just go for a dunk.

JaMychal Green said of Davis:

I always kept a body on Davis if he rolled to the goal because we watched him play. We saw a lot of lobs and dunks so we knew that’s how he scored. We just kept him off the boards.

Hallelujah it’s rainin’ threes

Early in the first half the Cats were dropping bombs from deep, and it was awesome. Lamb and Miller both had a pair, and Jones and Wiltjer got in on the action too. Kentucky finished 6-14 from three point land. Pretty sold, because when the Cats are hitting from outside, there isn’t a team that can beat them. Point blank, period.

Huge day for SEC

Arkansas got a big win over the Michigan Wolverines today in Fayetteville. Many are saying the Big Ten is the best conference in college basketball right now, so a Razorback win over the No. 19 ranked team definitely looks good for the SEC. Tennessee defeated No. 11 Connecticut in Knoxville. I know it might be hard to root for the Volunteers, but understand it actually helps Kentucky. Remember how the Cats just won a game down there? With some traditional Big East powers struggling, the SEC can make a move for “best conference in the land” — up there with the Big Ten — and these wins certainly help.

The Dookies lose

Fresh off an upset of North Carolina, Duke lost to Florida State in Cameron Indoor Stadium which puts Kentucky as the sole owner of the current longest home winning streak. It sometimes would flip-flop between Kentucky and being tied based on scheduling and who was on the road longer, but no more. You know what Duke stands for, right? (Attempting to) Duplicate U-of-K Excellence, of course.

Loserville wins ugly

Over on ESPN the Louisville Cardinals are wrapping up their third Big East win over the Pittsburgh Panthers. It was a bit of a struggle early on for the Cards against a god-awful Pittsburgh team and resulted in, what’s shaping up to be an ugly win. We were so close to seeing all hell break loose for Rick Pitino. I just want to see what will happen up the road when Louisville really starts to self-destruct, don’t you?

That’s all I’ve got for now. Get a good night sleep; we’ll see you in the morning.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

60 Comments for Late Saturday Night Notes

1. Musehobo
    11:06 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Yeah I was happy at #2

2. Jimmy
    11:12 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Ok did jones hit a three in the game 6-14 does not add up, if miller and lamb hit 2and Kyle and Teague hit one, am I missing something here.

3. Tomas
    11:14 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Teague didn’t hit a three #2

4. Brick Tamland
    11:14 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Jones hit one.

5. Stuart Hammer
    11:14 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

2 – Typo. Teague was 0-1 from three, Jones had one. I’ve made the correction.

6. Tony
    11:15 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Redo the math Jimmy

7. Tomas
    11:15 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Jones, Lamb, Miller, Wiltjer are the only ones who hit a three.

8. Blue Jesus
    11:20 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

USA 1 – 0 Venezuela!

On, On, USA!

9. ESPN SUCKS
    11:22 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

I really hate espn. They always put the #2 cats like at the end of the show. Sports center, at the end, College Gay Day, 36 minutes in to it. I would like for ESPN and their boy friend NCAA in a ship and blow it up.

10. Paducah Patty
    11:25 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Murray State only undefeated team left. 20-0!!!

11. WTF
    11:30 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

I swear to God! Somebody needs to make one of those Flash games where you get to punch Doug GotSleeze’s face while he’s spouting his Anti-UK hatred!!! PULLEAAAASSE somebody out there who knows how to program in Flash, do this and you will be immortal!!!!

Doug!!! I know we didn’t recruit you when you were in college!!! We didn’t even know who you were coming out of high school. Get over it already!!!

UK is #1, BABY!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. kywineman
    11:33 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

So you think that UK didn’t have a target on it’s back while ranked #2? You are not really a UK fan are you?

13. Ryan
    11:39 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Today I didn’t even have to use my AK…I gotta say it was a good day.

14. Chris
    11:39 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Louisville actually played a pretty good game. Good effort on trying to down play it though. hahaha #obsession

15. Lovely
    11:43 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

During the UL game, Dickie V mentioned the tweet about Davis that MKG sent him. Called him a good teammate. In fact, he mentioned UK a lot in that game.

16. lol
    11:49 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

Dickie V ALWAYS talks about Cal and the Cats during Louisville games. It’s funny to hear being a UK fan, but think how bad all of the Kentucky fans would bash Vitale if he mentioned UofL during UK games…

It’s nice to hear when he tells the world that Cal has Pitino’s number, and that Kentucky is light years ahead of UofL…but damn, save it for a game that Louisville isn’t in. Be a little courteous.

Everyone knows Dick, don’t rub it in to the fans of Louisville.

17. Catsfando
    11:56 pm January 21, 2012 Permalink

I did not realize just how pitiful Pitt was until tonight when they played UL, and that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

18. nolablue
    12:00 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

I’m really happy we won today. I mean, truly thrilled. But I’m really sad that Joe Paterno died.
    I never liked him. I really hated Pitt. Prob’ly always will. But the whole thing is just so dang
    sad. Whatever else he died of, I think he died of a broken heart. R.I.P. Mr. Joe.

19. nolablue
    12:01 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Penn, not Pitt. I cain’t even chew gum and walk at the same time,
    let alone think and type.

20. Dan Aykroyd
    12:04 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

to number 10…they are, and they shouldn’t be.. Morehead played a much better game last Wed. and Murray got lucky and got some calls. I was there and I am a non-biased party…they are NOT good.

21. this sucks
    12:09 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Crap, Jorts broke his wrist tonight, out 6 weeks:

22. UK
    12:27 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Louisville finally wins a game. Lets Party!!!

23. Viren
    12:52 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Congrats to Cats on pulling out a great win versus Alabama. Tide always seem to play us close. I think it is good that we are playing some close games because more than likely games in the NCAA come down to one or two possession. It is nice to see these guys are making some clutch decision when the game is on the line. Go Cats. #1 again Baby now play like ONE.

24. Racers
    1:00 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

#20 – Murray has as many top 50 RPI wins as UK does. And I almost laughed out loud at your Morehead comment. They played Murray tough but they are not even close to being on Murray’s level.

25. lol
    1:06 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Murray State is Junior and Senior laden with a ton of chemistry. Only three players on the team are anything other, and those three are freshman.

They have done exactly what mid majors do to be relevant. They recruit to their play style. They recruit for chemistry. And when those players grow up together, they become what you see with Murray State this year. What you seen with George Mason a few years ago, and what you seen with Butler the last two years.

26. Racers
    1:23 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Correction: UK has 1 more top 50 RPI win than Murray State.

27. cgivens21
    1:26 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

I’ve watched Murray play in person over 10 times this season. My assessment, for what it’s worth:

This team has the potential on any given night to beat or be beaten by nearly any team in the country. When they are firing on all cylinders, Murray State Racer Basketball is a thing of beauty to behold. However, like Racer teams under Billy Kennedy in the past, at times Murray will struggle in the half-court, especially against a zone. (Is any of this sounding familiar?) The core group of players are all Juniors and Seniors who experienced tournament success two years ago (I was there in San Jose, too). Isaiah Caanan is a terrific shooting point guard who would see major minutes on the floor for any top team, although personally I believe he is better suited to a shooting guard role a la Doron Lamb, with spot-up shooting mixed with drives to the basket. Where I could see Murray getting into trouble come tournament time is with a team that has two fairly equal and competent big men. Daniel and Aska down low can combine to stop someone like Sullinger, but would struggle to contain a team like Kentucky or UNC who have multiple talented post players. In March, look for the Racers to grab a seed in the 4-6 range. After that, who knows. They have the talent and team chemistry to make a run to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, but could easily fall in the first or second round depending on the matchups given to them by the committee. As for their prospects of remaining undefeated, Murray State’s biggest challenge will be on Feb. 25th when the Racers travel to play Tennessee Tech in Cookeville. Look for a large Murray State contingent to be there, however; the Racers travel as well as any mid-major.

28. Robukpt
    1:38 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

The grammar police were out today and a little harsh, but 2 errors on player names is just plain lazy: TREVOR releford and THAD melo boys.

And mr hammer is taking the place of BTI with inconsistent posts and asinine stat analysis (though I actually liked BTI, shh don’t tell). To say Davis didn’t live up to lofty expectations is just silly. 11-9-5-4 is a good stat line. So he didn’t score 27 points on 12 dunks. He got pushed around a little but made a block to seal the game and hit clutch free throws just to make sure. Give the kid a break. And seriously, I’m not trying to be mean. I really am trying to be constructive. You seem to get names wrong consistently and many of the stat pieces you do are bizarre. This is the first time, I think, that I’ve ever complained about a writer bc I love this site and all it’s ridiculousness, but ridiculous is different than wrong or bizarre.

29. buckethead
    1:42 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

im sorry this is not the place 4 this . GO CATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. 6th Man
    1:48 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Josh Harrellson fractured his wrist, he’ll have surgery then he’s out for about 6 weeks.

31. buckethead
    2:19 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

#43 thanks man i do too ! great game ! i feel real good about watching the cats play like they did today it had the feel of a tourney game and those cats were cool in crunch time and kept it together. 8 would be great! go cats

32. Defcon 1
    5:55 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

I am a rocket scientist

33. Playersfan
    7:17 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

RE: Anthony Davis, had a great game. The problem with the body on him, in rebounding and shooting was they waited until he was in the air, and then pushed and bodied him under the basket. You have no way to protect yourself once you are in the air, the refs did not call it a single time.

In reference to a defensive body, KY is going to have to learn to flop and get charging fouls. I know its not in the rule book that the defensive player has to be knocked down, but it has been called that way for more then 50 years and I do not see it changing.

34. Bigcat4453
    7:45 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

I agree with #50, Davis getting pushed around after he left his feet and refs turning a Vitale Eye to that kind of play! Davis was lucky he didn’t get hurt.

35. bung
    8:01 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

pg takes the most shots, shoots 36%, only 1 assist, 0 steals, and nearly got run over by mkg on a fast break…

36. bung
    8:07 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

we beat bama 12-4 on fast break points

37. Gus Chiggins
    8:12 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Insidehowielindseysbelly.com says this is a “Huge” win for Lville. That’s against a Pitt team that’s lost 8 straight with home loses to Wagner and Long Beach State. I guess any wins these days are Huge for UL… #occupyNIT

38. barn
    8:15 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

love ashley. she’s still a very sexy woman. very

39. Choate
    8:30 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

As proven by michigan and uconn. A win in the sec is very difficult. So even though it wasn’t pretty. The bama win was good. 6 players in double digits. Great foulshots. If you remember it was late game foul shots that sunk uk in the final four last year. As a die hard uk fan I have to remember they are young and improving with every game. By march we will be there.

40. Hoss
    8:36 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Vern’s a GD moron that has no idea how the real wold works.

Most obvious fact in this thread.

41. FurdTurgason
    8:49 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Guys, Bama pushed Josh Harrelson around last year in the regular season game. Those inside guys they have are tough to handle. It was a great learning experience and it didn’t cost us the victory.

42. FurdTurgason
    8:49 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

I would love to see Bama play UNC. I would be very interested to see how that game came out.

43. gcat4496
    9:08 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

College Game Day was in Pitt for the featured powerhouse game of the weekend: UL at Pitt. Dickie V put the best spin on it calling it two desperate teams desperately in search of a badly needed win.

44. Not Billy Reed
    9:12 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Nice article! But I need to find something wrong with it

45. Bsb Coach
    9:12 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

I for one do not wish bad fortune for Pitino. After all he did for UK, I would think that all serious UK fans would wish him well too. I am still an unabashed UK fan, and I want to see us beat U of L badly. But if they have no great team, then what did we really accomplish?

46. tdogg4033011
    9:20 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

69) all records and talent differences can be thrown out the window on that game.
    A win is a great win in that series …..

47. bung
    9:31 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

wiltjer has toughened up a lot in the last few games…

48. UKFan'sInnerThoughts
    9:38 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

The SEC will always be top heavy. Let’s not try to say it will be the best conference. UK, Florida, and Vandy will be the only teams to challenge for an SEC title in the next decade. The other conferences just have a better bottom half. However, there is no clear cut #1 conference as they all seem a bit down. The Big East won’t claim it this year and every conferences’ #1 team is beatable at some point.

49. Blueswade
    9:45 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Jymichael green can play….will be glad when he moves on. Wish we had him.

50. Doug Gottlieb
    9:58 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Who could’ve guessed that my new #1 wouldn’t be UK? Oh, everybody in the country? Eh, well. My snarky article title won’t have the intended shock effect then.

51. Doug Gottlieb
    10:09 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Guess who my #1 is? It’s Ohio State! Even though they have two more losses than UK, they’re the better team. Sure, they both lost to the same team on the road (IU) and OSU’s loss was more convincing, but they were without Jared Sullinger. Sure, they lost to Illinois on the road. Sure, they lost by 11 at a Kansas team whom UK beat by 10 on a neutral court (and it wasn’t that close). I don’t even care that a UK team was worse last year beat an OSU team that was better and composed of basically the same players. Logic has no place here.

52. Captain Conspiracy
    10:15 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

#9 – I hear ya, I thought the same thing too. I also had a couple of beefs with the game’s camera director. (you know, the one in the booth that controls when to switch camera shots) On the Anthony Davis steal and dunk, why switch the camera angle to under the goal post before the dunk!?!? To me, the moment never reached it’s true crescendo. And if that wasn’t bad enough, how about that MKG block from behind. That was one of the best blocks of the season and we never got a replay. I call BS on both and dare say that guy in the booth was anti-UK.

#17 – I heard that too. I swear, he does it every UK or UofL game. Dickey V was fun to listen to growing up but now he’s just one long replay button on commentary. When he dies, it it will be very easy for some computer tech guy to replace him with the Dickey V 3000. During the game just hit a button for the appropriate response.

53. Al's IndiCats
    11:10 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

During the Murry game they interviewed the former coach of Indiana St. when they had Larry Bird. Did anyone else have heartburn over this as much as I did? I mean C’mon there was a game going on and they were interviewing a coach from some 30 freaking years ago. I am as True Blue as one can be, I do love when a Kentucky team AE Bellermine, Pikeville, WKU, Morehead, damn near as anyone with the exception of UL does well, but to have the interview while a game is being played is just down right STUPID, and every Murry St. fan should be as pissed off as I was last night!….GO CATS!!!!!!!! We’re #1

54. Sheeeeiiit
    11:34 am January 22, 2012 Permalink

Why do you guys debate coal on a UK comment board? From your computers which are made using mined metals, petroleum products and built by sweat labor in communist countries. Shipped to the US in big oil powered ocean polluting ships. Then you plug it into the wall to feed it electricity from mostly coal fired power plants. Next you ignore all of this, hop up on a soapbox and lecture us on a one sided opinion. I know one thing from being in the alternative energy business for 25 yrs. All of it is BS. This isn’t a science fiction movie, its real life. Crooks on both sides of the coin. We have a long way to go before we can get rid of coal and petroleum. We are working towards it. In the meantime dont kid yourselves, we rely on these things to enjoy our lives.

So all I know is, nothing is perfect. Just like todays game. But at least i could watch it on my evil foreign built, petrolium based, coal powered TV. Best part about it, i did not think once about all this. I just enjoyed the game because we WON.

55. coal miner
    1:16 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

Ashley judd makes me sick with her views against mining, is she really that ignorant?

56. Nick Granchelli
    2:27 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

We have become Kentucky fans by proxy. That’s our son to the left of Ashley Judd.
    You can Imagine how proud we are at his acomplishments.

57. cayts
    2:39 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

oh im afraid i just blue myself. i figured if i blue myself early i’d be nice & relaxed for the noon game

58. Claud Bawls
    6:56 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

Is that a see-thru shirt?

59. Mr. T's Mohawk
    8:15 pm January 22, 2012 Permalink

#25

saw, not seen

60. Comments Censorship
    6:23 am January 23, 2012 Permalink

You can keep deleting the dissenting comments Mr moderator, but it doesn’t undo the disagreement that many had with the TJ comments in this post. Most were simply expressing their dislike of this continued theme by KSR writers. At least half of the original comments were against this, but have been deleted multiple times. You don’t like TJ’s performance, that’s fine. But does it need to be in a post every other day. What happened to the KSR attitude of “once a Cat, always a Cat”? Jones does not seem to get that courtesy, since the Indiana game and his injury.