Late Saturday Night Notes

drew

Private eyes – watching you.

Just a little late Saturday round up while you’re all out celebrating Drew Franklin’s birthday…

— We tend to give Jerry Tipton a lot of grief on this site, and while most of it is deserved, the good doctor is actually a pretty good journalist.  He just chooses to make controversy when there isn’t, much to the chagrin of his target audience.  Nevertheless, Tipton published a pretty good piece earlier today about a story that was on no one’s radar.  It looks like the NCAA and UK have been having a bit of a lovers quarrel, this time not over Enes Kanter.  You see, when Kentucky beat Florida at home this year, not only was it a win for the Wildcats, but it marked John Calipari’s 500th win as an NCAA division 1 coach.  This didn’t take Calipari’s vacated wins from Memphis and UMass into account though, and after a complaint was filed with the NCAA by what Sandy Bell labeled a “fan of a rival program,” the NCAA’s committee of infractions has been trying to get Kentucky to issue a correction about the statement. Frankly it all seems a little silly.  I mean, the games happened, Calipari coached them to wins, does the NCAA really care that much if we gave him a commemorative ball for the 500th time he coached the winning team?  It seems like the NCAA is trying to convince us all that something that happened didn’t really happen.  News flash to the NCAA – you may think you have that kind of power, but you really don’t.

Anyways, if you’d like to read what Good ol’ Jerry wrote about this, you can do so here.

— Marquis Teague played again today, in the second of two games between the Indiana all stars and the Kentucky ones.  Teague didn’t have as many points this time around – and he didn’t have the game winner – but he still played a pretty solid game with 12 points and 5 assists. There were some complaints about his turnovers in yesterdays game, but a few during an all star game really isn’t reason for concern.  When Teague has had a chance to get used to his team mates, learn Calipari’s system, and get more settled in, it shouldn’t amount to much.  What we did learn is that he has the same type of quickness we’re used to seeing with Calipari lead guards, he can shoot when he needs to, and he knows how to pass out of the middle.  If Teague wants to continue the tradition of super star Calipari guards, expect to see more of all those things.

— Meanwhile, both Josh Harrellson and Deandre Liggins seemed to have a good end of the week working out for NBA teams.  Jorts worked out with Sacramento and from the sounds of it, had a pretty good showing there.  In his post work out interviews Jorts mentioned hearing he could expect to get drafted anywhere from late first to early second, which would be great for the kid.  He also mentioned that he would love to come to Sacramento to play with “Big Cuz” and that “maybe they’ll draft Brandon Knight too, and we can just have a whole Kentucky team out here.”  I don’t think I have to tell you how great that would be.

— As far as Deandre goes, it’s a little tougher to get a read on how his process has been going.  From all accounts it looks to be moving along well, as he has been having great work outs for a number of teams (including a solid defensive performance with Chicago this weekend,) but it really all comes down to one team feeling that they need Deandre.  We likely won’t know the answer to that until draft day though, unfortunately, as any team that believes they can get Liggins as a steal in the draft probably isn’t going to publicize their interest in him.  So it’s definitely a wait and see game for him… but I could definitely get behind Liggins to the Bulls.  Just seems like a good fit – what about you guys?

Oh, and if your life has been missing it’s June dose of Crazy Ron-Ron, here’s a good prank Jimmy Kimmel pulled on Ron Artest the other night on his talk show.

Article written by Will Lentz

29 Comments for Late Saturday Night Notes

1. ddub
    11:47 pm June 11, 2011 Permalink

2. Frankie Avalon
    11:48 pm June 11, 2011 Permalink

I cannot believe KSR just gave some love to Jerry Tipton. I am seriously contemplating never reading this site again.

3. Moses
    11:48 pm June 11, 2011 Permalink

Drew looks just like Eddie Munster

4. The Vig
    12:02 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

The only thing Jerry Tipton could do to help the human species is if his cancerousness could actually attack cancer itself. Just think about it… he could be the cure if he’d just focus his suck in the right direction.

5. Big Blue 66
    12:09 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

I love Jorts, and if he goes in the first round, they should just go ahead and build the statue of Cal now……that would be the largest most improbably jump in NBA status in the history of bball

6. Will Lentz
    12:16 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

2. I was as shocked as you were. He did a good job with it though, and managed to keep the piece negativity free for the most part. And don’t worry, NotJerryTipton will be around on Friday to make up for the little bit of praise.

7. me
    12:24 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

8. BPsycho
    1:12 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

“if you’d like to read what Good ol’ Jerry wrote about this,”

Uhahahaha! You’re funny!

9. tyson
    2:22 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

will, how can you call that “negativity free for the most part”?!? to bring up the subject anyway was just a dig at coach cal. then he spends another 1/3 of the article with quotes about how coach cal will probably leave for the NBA anyway.

10. duh
    2:57 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

Article sucks but at least we get to see a picture of the sexy Drew Frankiln himself.

11. JF
    3:43 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

Hell, second round. I know it’s a weak draft this year and all, but it is seriously mind blowing. Not because Josh never had the ability, but because he never really showed it consistently. Whether it was Calipari getting into his head and setting off a spark, or all that practice against Enes Kanter (I’m guessing it’s a combination of those things), this is really inspiring on a lot of levels. Doubt any prospective recruits would miss it, either; the Harrellson and Liggins stories are proof that Cal can coach both the one and dones and the multi-year projects to the next level. If you do what he asks of you, the sky is the limit. Good luck to all our guys in the draft!

12. Owen
    4:27 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

I mean, without thinking about it I suppose I like Liggins to the Bulls. I like the Bulls and I like Liggins but I also like Bogans and they both have the same basic game; pretty solid defense, can knock down 3s but can’t really do much other than that in an NBA game. That said, they probably do need someone to give Luol Deng some rest so I can see it being a good fit, too.

BUT if I like Liggins somewhere it’s OKC (James Harden/Sefolosha only players he might compete for minutes with AND he wouldn’t need to carry a scoring load), *DALLAS* (at SG and SF off the bench you have what… Desean Stevenson? Perfect shot for Liggins to get big minutes and maybe even show off some offense), NOLA (if he can knock down 3s he seriously could deserve a starting spot at SG there and certainly as a back up to Ariza at SF).

13. Megan
    8:29 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

If you don’t win a game fair and square, if you win it by playing someone who was not eligible to play, it doesn’t count. Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp? Yes, you won the game. You were there, you saw it! The final score proves it. But strictly speaking, you didn’t do it by the rules. So it doesn’t count.

Insisting on counting those games smacks of overreaching. Like North Carolina hanging a 1924 “national championship” banner in the Dean Dome for its Helms Foundation recognition. It looks desperate. And needlessly so. The odd part is, the 500 wins isn’t even a UK thing. It’s a Calipari thing. And I’m certain he’s not one to pad his resume. So why are we trying to do it for him? Don’t do him any favors. Just leave it alone and recognize him next year, when everyone can agree.

14. shadowboxer
    8:36 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

A “good journalist” isn’t biased. If Tipton wants to be a columnist, then that is fine. He is, however, no journalist.

15. tdogg4033011
    8:52 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

13) nobody cares what you think ….. go on somewhere !!! !

16. Bledsoe's Biceps
    8:54 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

A “pretty good journalist” does not make up facts to suit his bias & agenda. Nor does a sports journalist quote the Bleacher Report as if it were a legitimate news source.

17. TheTruth
    9:49 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

The NCAA did us a favor by not slamming us on the Bledsoe deal. That kid should have never been in college and anyone with a brain knows it. Why poke the bear that is the NCAA? Sandy Bell is an idiot. Oh, and it doesn’t matter that Bledsoe was cleared by the NCAA. all you need to do is look at what happened with Rose. It may not be fair, but it is what it is.

18. Buckets
    9:57 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

I looked like drunk Drew Franklin last night.

19. BlueBalls
    10:17 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

Wasn’t it Jerry that kept asking the NCAA office about UK celebrating Cal’s 500 wins the week after the Florida game. He probably sparked this. I swear I remember him having quotes from the NCAA a couple of times about it.

20. BigBlue1976
    10:24 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

Is there even a penalty at stake here? For Cal or UK? If not, this is merely a pissing contest between the NCAA and Cal/UK. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. I say both sides just leave it alone. It’s not that important. When Cal wins his 500th game next year, UK can put out a release boasting Cal’s 500th “Official” win!

21. Kyle
    10:24 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

A “fan” of another program filed the complaint? Freakin Bobby Knight…

22. RonRon
    10:31 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

Omg…please tell me that someone else watched theYouTube clip…F’in hilarious!

23. WildcatsOne
    11:09 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

I cannot believe Thomas took the time to write a 5-page letter to address this with UK!! Does this clown have nothing better to do with his time? It seems there would be plenty for him to do with Ohio State and Cam Newton at Auburn.

24. LindaS
    11:37 am June 12, 2011 Permalink

If I remember correctly, fairy flipton wrote the day after the wn that it was not the 500th win. I would not put it past that scum bag to have sent numerous emails and phone calls to botox mark and his band of merry men concerning the issue. I would imagine he is cahoots with floppy knightmare and pat turde and little slick quick rick himself to do this recognition in. It’s still 500 wins, Cal was never charged or proven guilty of anything. Cal even reported on of the infractions himself. What more do they want, blood? Well if they do they will find that Cal bleeds blue and not green for their money pot.

25. stevie
    1:00 pm June 12, 2011 Permalink

22. I agree. It is hilarious!

26. bti sucks
    3:13 pm June 12, 2011 Permalink

Hate the bulls. ‘Dre is dead to me if he goes there. I keep hearing about some guy named Keith something or other on the team right now, but I don’t recall any such player for UK.

27. SEO Jay
    7:22 pm June 12, 2011 Permalink

Hey Website Owner. I really like your blog, I found you through Google so I figure I’d share this tip with you. There is a WordPress plugin for SEO that does automatic Search optimization for your pages, automated SEO plugins like this are new in the online blogging scene so getting on this now would give your website a huge traffic jump for sure. If you are serious about making your blog get more popular and make money then check it out by clicking my name.

28. Test