Late Friday Notes

norris-lake-jumping-bridge2

This is Norris Lake.  These are Cats fans.  This is called “The Jumping Bridge”.  If you’re a Louisville fan, you might want to look into it.  Things aren’t getting better any time soon.  With that being said, a few notes for you to think about all night long…

– We’ve found ourselves again in a July evaluation period and Coach Cal was in Vegas, which will host three events this week, checking out the action at the adidas Super 64.  Cal spent some time watching a number of players, many of whom are the same names you’ll recognize from the adidas Invitational in Indianapolis earlier in the month.  We’ll dive deeper into all of the names Saturday when I have sole duty of filling space on this pretty little blog all day.  For now, here is a list of a few of the more notable names he saw:

Shabazz Muhammad
Andre Drummond
Kaleb Tarczewski
Perry Ellis
Jabari Parker
Kasey Hill

– I’ve never been to Vegas, but I have seen The Hangover, so I know that to survive in the city, forming a formidable and trustworthy wolfpack is essential.  John Calipari did just that Friday.  Coach Cal and John Wall paired up to watch Shabazz Muhammad – a text buddy of Wall’s – do his thing in a crowded gym.  The list of coaches in attendance is lengthy and they all have their own presence at these events.  But only one guy had a former #1 overall draft pick who just three years ago was playing on the same summer circuit and that’s what elite players pick up on.  Of course, Billy Gillispie wasn’t impressed.  He was heard mumbling, “Big deal.  I take my sponsor everywhere too.”

– The story that ignited a fire and then dissipated nearly overnight concluded with Tony Woods ending up at Oregon.  The former five-star big man seems to have landed in a good situation, where he’ll be able to contribute immediately and get his basketball career back underway in relative anonymity.  The issue for Woods at Kentucky – and at Louisville and Texas to a smaller degree – was the baggage that would travel with him following his circumstances at Wake Forest.  At Kentucky, it would not only be magnified for him personally, but it would likely serve as a potential distraction down as Kentucky continued to advance in the tournament and the media focused more attention on them.  In the end, Woods heading somewhere other than Lexington is probably the best decision for both himself and Kentucky.  After all, you don’t want to make Eloy angry.  You won’t like him when he’s angry.

– In what might be the absolute biggest story of the day in more ways than one, Jared Lorenzen was named commissioner of the Ultimate Indoor Football League.  It’s Lorenzen’s second jump to a front office position.  The Hefty Lefty started last season as the general manager of the Northern Kentucky River Monsters before deciding to become their starting quarterback.  Lorenzen’s new job carries a number of responsibilities with it, but one that’s more awesome than the rest:  blogging.  The Pillsbury Throwboy will be making weekly blog posts updating fans on the league and its development.  He remains my favorite Wildcat of all time.

That’s really it right now.  If you missed the show today, make sure you check out the podcast below.  Chip Cosby filled in admirably and welcomed Brett Dawson and Randall Cobb to the show.  Matt will be back in control Monday.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

14 Comments for Late Friday Notes

1. RondosDribblingHand
    1:42 am July 23, 2011 Permalink

That bridge is not nearly tall enough for little brother’s fans to jump off of. Water’s probably too deep as well.

2. Catfan55
    2:43 am July 23, 2011 Permalink

Who said anything about let’em jump!!

3. Lloyd Christmas
    3:36 am July 23, 2011 Permalink

7…6,8,5,2

4. NKYCatFan
    4:15 am July 23, 2011 Permalink

The NKY River Monsters will no longer play in NKY…..FYI.

5. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    4:53 am July 23, 2011 Permalink

Two things shock me about this post: 1. Five comments in five hours for a night post is “ridiculous”. 2. You have never been to Vegas? Have Jones pick up your fair when heads out next year to play in the WSP.

6. Maggard's Left Nut
    8:51 am July 23, 2011 Permalink

I don’t think people realize that Charlie Strong at Louisville had a top 25 recruiting class which was a lot higher than UK’s.

7. Listen to this
    9:15 am July 23, 2011 Permalink

So we’ve been talking trash at work about our fantasy football league. There were a couple of posts on the league page so I added one of my own. I wrote, “If y’all don’t let me have Cobb, someone’s gonna get stuck in the jaw.”
    What did our IS manager say in response? He came into my office and said, “Umm Ty Cobb is a dead baseball player you idiot!”
    You can imagine me picking my jaw up off the floor. He admitted 30 seconds later he had never heard of “this Randall Cobb guy” and walked away embarassed.

8. Bigbluecalizone
    10:02 am July 23, 2011 Permalink

Blonde on the right in the black T got a fine pair of thighs…..

9. Dr. Poop
    10:13 am July 23, 2011 Permalink

Jumping Bridge, huh? Must have been a creative genius to come up with that…

10. WhitneyRolf
    12:05 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

@Bigbluecalizone She isn’t hott in real life.

11. josh
    4:16 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

there are more girls than guys

12. racerj5
    11:01 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

I’ve been across that bridge a thousand times and when the water is down in the winter,it’s about 40 ft drop to the water. There was a man about 20 years ago that jumped and was impaled by a piece of re-bar, killing him. I was by there last week and there were about 25 boats with people jumping off. Nice to see some UK fans out there….most of the boaters are buckeyes.

13. Chace
    11:02 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

That pic is freaking awesome I live like five miles from cedar creek bridge and trust me we don’t see many die hard cats fans around here wish I woulda been there! Go Cats C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!!!!!!!!

14. Eric Cartman
    10:20 pm July 24, 2011 Permalink

Number Six has a great butt.