Late Evening Friday Night Notes

labor-day

Hey everybody, hope you’re out celebrating the return of football season – there promises to be at least two decent games tomorrow so try to contain yourself.  Until you return, just a few quick late night thoughts headed in to the three day weekend.

—  Of course the main topic people are interested in this weekend is college football.  So let’s start with a little international basketball.  Calipari is quietly building a solid team out of the Dominican Republic National Team as they took down Brazil to lead their group in the FIBA Americas Tournament. The DR has only lost one game so far in group play – a too little too late comeback attempt against Canada – but their ability to take down Brazil, a team they lost a scrimmage to earlier this season, speaks volumes for how they are improving.  The Dominicans are trying to secure an Olympic bid by winning the tournament, and winning their group is a good way to start it.  They will still have to get past Brazil a second time (most likely,) plus face potential match ups against Puerto Rico and Argentina, both strong international basketball programs.  Good luck to our adopted Cats as they take on the world.

—  Most of the gripes from last nights game centered around the offense – and understandably so.  However I will acknowledge my blue tinted glasses and venture to say that will be the worst the offense looks all year.  Now, there may be nights when SEC defenses prove to be too much for our beloved wildcats, but I would be surprised if we saw another total meltdown like we did last night.  The problem was – not a single portion of the offense preformed as they were supposed to, and without that it becomes infinitely harder for any other part to look good.  The line didn’t give Newton enough protection, Newton didn’t always have enough time to make smart decisions and the receivers made Newton look worse by dropping every ball he threw.  I don’t expect the offense to suddenly be amazing next week, but with a game under their belts, the comfort of playing in commonwealth and the jitters shaken out, don’t be surprised if Newton and company make some noise next week.  Of course that could just be me being a homer – only time will tell.

—  Meanwhile we will get our first glimpse at the rest of the SEC tomorrow.  Most teams are playing cup cake games, but as I mentioned above, there are two games worth watching and both feature SEC teams. Georgia/Boise State will kick the season off in one of two ways – either the bulldogs win and we are looking at another season of SEC dominance on the way to the BCS, or the Broncos win and we are still looking at another season of SEC dominance, only we have to hear about Boise State all year until they drop a gimmie game to a no-name team. The other game will feature LSU and Oregon, a game that looked way more exciting before scandals enveloped both programs.  It will still be a great game between two potential championship contenders, but we will have to deal with announcers reminding us every 20 seconds about what a horrible off season it was for sports.  Look for the SEC to be undefeated this time on Sunday.

—  The big story line aside from how disappointing the Western game was, was how terrible Louisville looked too.  There has been a wild consensus of thanks that the Kentucky/Louisville game wasn’t played first this year, as it would’ve been one of those games you where nobody would’ve won despite the score.  So the game is now on – which team can improve the most between now and two weeks from now.  Ultimately I think the commonwealth crowd will push the Cats past the Cards, but we will have a better barometer on where both teams stand in a little over a week.

Go forth and have a great Labor Day weekend.  If you need me, I’ll be holed up sick in my house – bring me ice cream and get your picture on the site. See you bright and early as we take you through the first Saturday of the college football season!

Article written by Will Lentz

30 Comments for Late Evening Friday Night Notes

1. tdogg4033011
    10:57 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

alot of people have been complaining about the Commonwealth Stadium atmosphere going into
    the season ….. lets show up and get the place rockin. I think the offense will come around game by game. Get behind the boys over the next 2 home games & get off to a 3-0 start.

2. Cal Purnell here
    11:05 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Can the football Cats put Caverna on the schedule for this season?

3. mike
    11:07 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

It would be nice if Joker would show a little more emotion than he does. He had every right to be out of his mind with the play last night but just kind of has that “aw shucks” demeanor during and after the game. I think the team needs a “butt kicker” and Joker doesn’t seem to have that makeup. I think his players take on that same demeanor. How do you start the season off with that lethargic type of play? Where have we seen that before??

4. bluetexan
    11:49 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

4-8…FREE Mike Leach!

5. bluetexan
    11:53 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

4-8 FREE Mike Leach!

6. RidgeRunner
    12:11 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

Tdogg & Mike..I agree with you both.

I am officially retiring my gripe of this team not being preared offensively for game 1. I have hit that horse too many times and although still the most unprepared offense that I have seen UK put on a field since Curci was here…I can see no one is going to challenge Joker on this from the media one bit and bring it to his attention –and the rest of you are sick of me talking about it. Damn, how Joker gets a bye on this is beyond me??

So…even though I’m still fuming, I will courteously stop fussing in here.

7. IfUSaySo
    12:32 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

After seeing some of the worst college football that might be played all season (thanks all 4 KY schools from Thursday), the weekend is saved by one of the best games this season might produce. Thanks Baylor & TCU for a helluva of a game…….too bad I don’t give a crap about either school. With that said, Joker, his offensive position coaches, Newton and the wide outs need to RISE up or step down. A spring/summer’s worth of work should produce more than that. Great game by Winston ‘The’ Guy, though.

8. Yezzir
    12:36 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

9. BlueMike
    1:12 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

A this point, with the receivers playing as they are, Newton needs to think run first and pass second. Both him and the receivers were pretty bad last night – I’m being nice. We looked slower than WKU, they wanted it more. After one series I saw a player puking on the field, #40 Williamson, I believe it was. My typical seats at Commonwealth don’t afford me the luxury of seeing these guys up as close as I did Thursday night. In Nashville however, I had front row seats and saw the guy coming off of the field and stopping to puke. Is this typical or do we have a conditioning problem? It was worrisome that the game stopped several times for UK players that were hurt while WKU had none. I saw no one limping off or being helped off of the field on the other side. We should be beating these guys up, what gives? I’ll remain optimistic for the moment but my prediction for this season is being severely downgraded. What we were told appears to have been a lie/fib. We’re no where near where we should be, not even close. It’s a race now between UK and UL over who can improve the most in the following two weeks. With Jokers track record last year concerning preparation, I’m not feeling good about it at the moment.

10. tyson
    1:39 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

i guess i’m crazy, because i dont see what everyone else saw about our defense. it was HORRIBLE. thank god WKU’s offense was worse than ours. yes, we held their running back to “only” 105 yards (while our main 2 rushed for about 70), but that is because we knew they werent going to pass the ball. our defense is going to get eaten alive in the SEC. we will lose to Louisville and/or Vandy this year. hell, i’m even nervous about Central Michigan, and they barely won over a Bowl Subdivision team tonight.

exactly how many bridges did Mike Leach burn when he left here, because i’m hoping he is available sometime mid-season this year…

11. JDaws
    1:39 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

#8 Think that might have to do with the talent in Texas being light years ahead of the talent in KY.

#9 That might be the worst opinion of the night. Rock Oliver is one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the entire country.

12. tdogg4033011
    1:49 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

#9 you think 95 degree temps might have had something to do with it?? possibly??

13. BCat75
    2:35 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

ok. Did I miss something or amongst all the hype and talk of that amazingly high scoring soccer game we played against wku on thursday did we forget to mention that friday was the great Adolph Rupp’s birthday? That guy is pretty special to BBN right? Happy B-day RUPP!!

14. PatMan
    5:03 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

You are a homer, like me, holding out hope that it DOES get better !

15. Brian
    5:09 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

I took a trip to the cardchronicle.com last night and i think its funny how they are totally tryna make it in every way shape or form just like kentucky sports radio and they are failing miserably. Those cards fans just wana be us but, they cant

16. BlueMike
    8:49 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

11 & 12 – that’s why I asked if it was normal for players to do that. I assume from your responses that it is.

17. dfaslj
    9:11 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

would somebody at ksr get out of bed and write something?

18. Bozorenob
    9:19 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

O.V.E.R.h.I.S.H.E.A.D

19. Holden McGroin
    9:28 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

Give the football team time. I know we are a Bball school, but even Cousins, Wall and Bledsoe didn’t look good the first game out. The football cats need our support and a little confidence, so does Joker. Lots of new kids on the block this year-give ’em time.

And BTW, i hope Boise state gets their azzes handed to them. I don’t wanna listen to that crap all year again.

20. matt jones ghost
    9:34 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

19 bledsoe had over 20 points his first game wall hit the game winner his first game and cuz had a double double. Newton is a junior and looked lost we are doomed.

21. barn
    9:41 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

-20–thank you

22. Matt Jones
    9:56 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

Sorry about the non posting this morning. I took the entire KSR crew to Connections lasat night. Still looking for my leather chaps. I woke up and they were gone.

23. Fake Truett Cathy
    9:57 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

The swell writers of KSR must be at:

Chick Fil A

Enjoying a spicy Chicken Biscuit or three.

24. test
    9:57 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

test

25. icle
    10:09 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

@24, “icle”

26. Holden McGroin
    11:28 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

20. that game should not have been close enough to win on a last second shot. Even though there were enough points to win, they weren’t sharp, and continued to improve greatly by the end of the season. That’s all i’m saying about the football team. If you don’t want to support them that’s fine, but you know they feel bad enough about the game thursday without fans such as yourself wanting to jump ship after their first outing, and come on here and try to take others with you. You know the players come here and read. A lot of these kids haven’t played a real game with Newton until thursday.

Let’s just agree that we disagree.
    Go Cats!

27. Holden McGroin
    11:40 am September 3, 2011 Permalink

23. yes, those biscuits do help soak up the alcohol from last nite.

28. Catlanta 91
    12:14 pm September 3, 2011 Permalink

For Kentucky to achieve the next tier level in the SEC or have a national presence it must have coach that can take them there! Joker does not have this level of intensity to take us to this level, plain and simple.
    We are an SEC school and if you’re a up and coming college football coach looking for the next level, this conference is where you go. I think Mike Leach is the guy to go after! Is he controversial? Yes, but his offense is what brought Kentucky the enthusiasm that hit in the mid to late 90’s with Air Raid football. He has proven he can take a football team to that level (helped bring Oklahoma out of its funk in the late 90’s and Texas Tech really had no program and he built it from scratch).
    Look we can all get on here and make our points for or against Joker, but let’s be real. Leach can recruit the players that fit his system and bring in the coaches that support his system. What exactly is Jokers system? So far it’s wait to see how the opposition plays in the first half then make adjustments in the second half and hope we can score enough to win. Not really a good game plan!
    Blue Texan I agree FREE MIKE LEACH!

29. Mattcat68
    1:45 pm September 3, 2011 Permalink

The problem with the offense is the play calling. You cannot hand the ball off and waste a first down every series. Vanilla as hell. No imagination.

30. test