Larry Warford’s NFL Combine

The majority of UK students are having an exceptionally awesome day on campus: DanceBlue is poppin’ For the Kids and the College Gameday crew is Shaking it as well. Larry Warford isn’t dancing on campus, but he is trying to prove to NFL scouts that he can be lighter on his feet than a dancing Jay Bilas. Warford’s day at Lucas Oil Stadium has wrapped up, posting numbers that will keep him in the hunt as a possible late 1st round/early 2nd round pick. Warford’s bench press high of 28 is a career best (how conveniently timed).

Warford is unsure of exactly where he will land, but versatility is on his side. “(Teams) have asked if I have taken snaps before. I was actually our second string center this year, so I’ve played a lot of center.” SEC linemen are frequently asked to play immediately; the ability to play two positions provides a much larger window of opportunity for the big man. “I don’t know who is liking me and who’s not,” Warford said. “I’m just here to work. That’s all I can really do.”

Warford’s Results (Optimal Target time/reps in Parenthesis)

40 yard dash: 5.58 seconds (5.3)

Bench Press 225 lbs: 28 (25)

Vertical Jump: 22.5 inches (28)

Broad Jump: 96 in (100 in)

20 yard shuttle: 5.1 seconds (4.7)

3 Cone Drill: 7.78 seconds (7.85)

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

7 Comments for Larry Warford’s NFL Combine

1. UK Freshmen
    5:37 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

I guess he should have emptied his pockets before he ran the 40. S….L…O…..W.

2. Few Dranklin
    5:43 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

With those numbers I’m willing to bet he slides into the 3rd round or lower. Sundial anyone?? He’d probably been better suited to not participate.

3. theSkinny81
    6:07 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

1 – Your parents still don’t love you, I see. S…A…D…

4. schwing
    6:13 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

for the nfl draft, damn good players go in the 3rd round. with these numbers he wouldn’t go in the 3rd round of the special olympics. and I mean that with no disrespect to those athletes. some of those guys are amazing athletes. once again kentucky football produces the perfect example of almost mediocre.

5. Cats
    6:33 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

I watched the combine and they were speaking about how these numbers aren’t as important as most think. One announcer said he spoke to a NFL scout who said he be shocked if Warford was still available in round 3. How often will a linemen be running a 40 yard dash? Footwork and game film is what these scouts look for.

6. BP
    8:57 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Rated 2nd best OG in the draft.

7. Prince
    8:16 pm February 24, 2013 Permalink

I don’t put too much stock in numbers. What matters it the body of work that he had while at Kentucky. In honesty it would be a surprise to see him fall any lower than the bottom half of the second round. He played well against some of the best defensive players in the SEC. I think he’ll do fine in the NFL.