La’Rod King and Aaron Boyd team up to make cancer patient’s last wish come true

While the football program is engulfed in the coaching search, two of Kentucky’s stars took a break to help a dying child’s last wish come true. Some of you may have heard the story of Tommy Luttrell, a young Kentucky fan who has been diagnosed with stage four colon cancer and has been given less than 24 hours left to live. La’Rod King and Aaron Boyd traveled to Newport, Kentucky last night to visit Tommy, fulfilling one of the young fan’s last wishes.

King also gave Tommy his favorite Kentucky hat, and tweeted the following picture with the caption: “Tommy also received my favorite UK hat which he wore proudly tonight I’m sure he wishes he could be in all UK gear”:

King and Boyd tweeted about their visit, sparking others to do the same. John Wall spread the word to his followers to #prayfortommy, helping the hashtag trend briefly last night:

Kudos to King and Boyd for making Tommy’s last dream come true. #prayfortommy

35 Comments for La’Rod King and Aaron Boyd team up to make cancer patient’s last wish come true

1. sopunny
    12:36 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

ahhh the feels…

2. Josh
    12:36 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Proud of you guys. God bless you.

3. Real Life
    12:36 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Certainly puts the coaching search drama in perspective. Prayers for all involved with this young man.

4. true story
    12:40 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

God bless Tommy and his family, and God bless the guys for caring enough to visit.

5. CatsFan
    12:40 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

This is a touching story and I will pray for him. You might want to make sure that this isn’t against HIPPA regulations. KSR could get sued for all this site is worth plus more.

6. Manbearpig
    12:42 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

#5 facepalm

7. SexnNursinHomes
    12:44 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

5- HIPPA?? Lawsuits?? Are you shittin me? I’m eith Manbearpig. Facepalm.

Stae laws trump HIPPA. Fact.

8. curious
    12:45 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

#5 – how would this be a violation of the Health Insurance Portability Act? Do you men patient confidentiality? If that is the case the patient/family would not have given the UK players permission to share the photo on a social networking site.

Maybe I am missing something here but not sure how KSR would be at risk of losing a lawsuit.

Great of La’Rod and Aaron to visit Tommy. #Prayfortommy

9. Ryan
    12:48 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

My prayers go out to Tommy and his family. Kuddos to La Rod King and Aaron Boyd!

10. JT
    12:48 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

#5, You are a freaking idiot. The site is run by a lawyer. Don’t start unnecessary paranoia.

11. What #3 and 4 said. God bless.

12. St. Paul Raiders
    12:54 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” Often quoted, rarely heeded.

13. sc
    12:59 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

they should get the whole team out there, even andre woodson, that would be pretty cool

14. SteveM
    1:01 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

God bless this young man. My prayers are with you.

15. Manbearpig2
    1:01 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

#5 Facepalm again.

16. Vince
    1:03 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Hang in there champ, and Go Cats!!

17. Mikey1286
    1:10 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Praying for Tommy, and really proud of those guys. We hear a lot of stories about athletes getting into trouble, but I’m sure theres a lot of good kids out there who don’t get the recognition for their works.

18. rich brooks' tomato
    1:13 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Praying for Tommy and his whole family.

19. jetblue
    1:21 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

I have lost so much to cancer. I hate cancer. God bless you Tommy.

20. Cats in the NBA
    1:24 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Praying for Tommy.

21. capnmonkey
    1:26 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

#5 – HIPAA only applies to entities that deal with patients confidential medical information, such as hospitals, insurers, IT companies (cloud computing/storage etc.) that deal with and store data, employers who insure their employees, etc.

22. KadizKat
    1:31 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Events like this by our players, and others like this, make me proud of the UK community and the young men and women we recruit.

23. Coal Miner
    1:36 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Awesome story!

24. rainman
    1:46 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

You guy’s make us soooo proud!
    Prayers sent!

25. RealCatsFan
    2:33 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Situations like this really put ALL sports in perspective – temporary diversions from what is really important in life. Thanks to LaRod and Aaron for being class acts and making this young man’s last days a little brighter. Prayers to Tommy, may the Lord take him home peacefully and without pain. Tommy can join Lane up in Heaven looking down on us and cheering for the Cats. Godspeed.

26. Tom48cat
    2:49 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

God bless you tommy say hi to my mom hope to see ya some day my prayers are with you and your family

27. perspective 4 sure
    3:02 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

King and Boyd have officially become my new favorite UK football players. But to think of all the pissing and moaning about the coach we had and want we wanted, about the loses, and just hammering our football program in general. (Myself included.) If we could just all support our team regarless who is coaching, and just enjoy UK sports like this. This has really hit me hard when you think about it. Not just the horrible and dispicable thing that cancer is, and how it affects so many families. But to think that this kid loved his Kentucky football so much, that in his last 24 hours of life one of his last wishes was to meet these UK football players. Think about that. I would guarantee that not one single person that has visited this site has cared enough about UK football that this would be remotely close to one of their final wishes. And us fair weather fans think we should have the right to name our next football coach? I dont think so.

28. jpizzle
    3:03 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

That is AWESOME!

29. UKfansNKY
    3:14 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

God Bless Tommy and his Family. #27 you nailed it GO CATS!!!

30. SAUL SCHMITT
    3:49 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

#27..RIGHT ON!

31. blue wolf 79
    5:29 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

God bless you Tommy , HE will send special angels with wings of gold to guide you.

32. Bill
    7:11 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for this one! Makes the 2-10 season meaningless and puts it into perspective. God Bless you Tommy and thanks La’Rod/Aaron for being great people! Finally, thank you Joker for helping/teaching your players to be people like this.

33. Lindsey
    2:05 pm November 28, 2012 Permalink

Just wanted to say thank u Tommy really enjoyed the visits from king and Boyd he smiled so big. Makes me feel better knowing since he so young and leaving behind our daughter who 7 that he at least got his one wish that I promised him I would try and do for him and I’m happy it did. King and Boyd were so sweet caring and great. It was even king birthday and he still came and drove almost 2 hours away to see him so thank u so much I don’t think I can ever thank u all enough… Lindsey.

34. Aaron Boyd
    8:26 pm November 28, 2012 Permalink

Lindsey! it was our pleasure! This is what is all about, life is not about wins and losses…it is about servicing others especially when you are more fortunate than one of God’s children! God Bless you and family, and the rest of the BBN!

35. Lindsey
    10:10 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Aaron thank u I no it’s not Bout win or losses so thanks it meant so much to see him smile again. His benefit dec 2 2-6 I asked that manager guy I’f u and king would like to come help raise money for him u r welcomed my number 8593227212. Tommy going to b wearing the uk hat king gave him at his lay out also.