Landon Young Isn’t Your Average 15 Year Old

BMveGEACMAEcmum.jpg-large

The average Lexington 15 year old is considered by most to still be wet behind the ears, with many years ahead to gain experience before blooming into a mature individual. When news broke yesterday afternoon that Mark Stoops had received a commitment from a Sophomore-to-be, even my eyebrows raised, curious if a 15 year-old could handle the responsibility. After speaking with the Lafayette High School  lineman yesterday, I realized that maturity and experience aren’t a weakness for the youngster: they are his strong points.

The well-spoken 6’7 270 pounder has completed one year of high school, but already has a slew of accomplishments under his belt. As a wrestler, Young finished as State Runner-Up in the heavyweight division. Young is even more impressive throwing the shotput and discus, ranked #2 in the nation in the discus category and cracking at a few state records this year. After starting his entire freshmen season at defensive end, Young’s accepted scholarship offer to his hometown school is the ‘icing on the cake’ to a phenomenal freshmen campaign. “I really wasn’t expecting anything at camp [last weekend], until a coach pulled me over to the side and let me know, ‘Coach Stoops is on his way with an offer.’ At first it was kind of hard to grasp, getting my first scholarship offer.” After receiving his first offer, it didn’t take long for the monster (I mean that in a good way) to pledge his allegiance to the #BBN. “I talked it over with my family for a couple of days, prayed over it, and weighed out my options before realizing that this is the place for me.”

While there is still a lot of time before Young is sitting through college orientation, you cannot underestimate the quality of player Kentucky will get when that day eventually comes.  Landon was strictly a defensive player last year, but this year he will be focusing his time on developing into a great offensive tackle, the position that Coach Stoops envisions Landon will play in 4 years. “I’ve played offense before, so it shouldn’t be a problem focusing on that side of the ball.” Young has plenty of time to add muscle to his already wide frame, staying busy year-round training for each of his respective sports. In one month this summer, Young will participate in both football and wrestling camps, while attempting to win Gold in the Junior Olympics. Young doesn’t plan on slowing down when he gets to UK either, “I’ve already talked to Coach [Stoops] about it, and as long as they do not interfere I plan on doing both [football and track] at UK.” We may not see Young on C.M. Newton Field for awhile, but he plans on making sure it is worth watching when his time comes.

Keep up with Landon’s Lafayette football team throughout the year and checkout his Freshman highlight reel here. [email protected]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

15 Comments for Landon Young Isn’t Your Average 15 Year Old

1. bigbluetrue
    4:57 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

I showed my wife the picture of Landon to my wife and asked her to guess his age. She said, “20”? When I told her he was only 15, she couldn’t believe it…neither could I! Wow!

2. Barnum N. Bailey
    5:04 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Said it before.
    Saying it again.
    Stoops stole him.
    Son, never fret.
    You have an huge career ahead.
    Just keep steering the ship right.
    You’ll be fine.
    Stoops is a ringmaster.

3. Uhhhh
    5:05 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Wet behind the ears? Please don’t ever use that again.

4. philstat
    5:19 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Great pickup, this kid is destined to be a big-time impact performer on the field. Outstanding get for the CATS! STUD in the making.

5. yak
    6:15 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

What’s awesome as well is that this is a steal for the track team. I’ve seen this kid around track meets and he is a talent that you rarely see. His wingspan and strength is outrageous for his age, and could set him up to be a world class discus thrower

6. Duke sucks
    6:18 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Big ole boy

7. Andy
    6:21 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Yesterday he as 6″7 250, today its 6″7 270?

8. KYTrackXC
    6:48 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

I cover High School cross-country and track around the state of KY and this young man certainly does not come across as a 15-year-old and certainly carries himself well for his age. And yes, “monster” in a nice connotation is a very apt way to describe his build….

9. AudreyYoung
    8:18 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Landon is my younger brother. My family could not be more proud of him. This is amazing and I’m so proud of him. I can’t wait to see what this opportunity will do for him. And just to clarify he is 250 pounds, not 270.

10. bigbluetrue
    8:32 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Audrey- I don’t know what your momma is feeding your baby brother but please tell her to keep it up! Let him know that all of BBN is proud to have him onboard.

11. AudreyYoung
    9:31 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Bigbluetrue we will do our best. Thank you all for the support and encouragement.

12. LexJim
    10:10 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Lafayette is building a dynasty. They have a couple of incoming freshmen linemen who will rival Landon in size and skill as freshmen as well as several skill position players. They will crush teams in a couple of years.

13. Yeahright
    10:40 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Lafayette = dynasty? Yeah right! Tell Coach Hayden to stop throwing all the time and trying to be pretty. They need to pound it, pound it , pound it behind that big line he has. Who throws up 2 touchdowns with 2:00 to go and almost loses? One guess.

14. Kevin C.
    3:33 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

I think somebody’s been mixing fertilizer with that boy’s Grape Nuts The texture is very similar, so it’d be easy to do. ⊙﹏☉

15. Becca Peniston
    8:41 pm June 16, 2013 Permalink

This is such an amazing opportunity for him! My family and I both congratulate him on this!