Kyle Wiltjer’s Tuesday News and Views

kyle-wiltjer-three-163ce98291a896a1

Kyle Wiltjer. Kyle Wiltjer. Kyle Wiltjer.

The NBA draft is 68 hours away and we’re talking about Kyle Wiltjer. No one saw it coming, but it’s here. Kyle Wiltjer is looking to take his talents elsewhere for the remainder of his college career. No more WBA. No more Goonies. Goggles down, BBN.

News broke of a potential transfer Monday afternoon when Coach Cal posted ‘Best of luck to Kyle Wiltjer’ on his official website. In the message from Cal, he said Kyle feels like he could have a more prominent role in another program than he will have at Kentucky next season. Kyle realized that during his time playing with the Canadian developmental team this summer in China.

While a transfer isn’t official at this point, it’s looking like that is the route Kyle will take, though he left the possibility of returning to UK open, for now. But if he is seriously considering returning, I’m not sure he would’ve written a letter to say goodbye and to thank the staff, his teammates, and you for a memorable two years in Lexington:

*****

Big Blue Nation,

I would like to take this moment to thank Coach Cal, the entire staff, my teammates and the BBN for a memorable two years thus far.

Heading into college my dream was to win a National Championship and compete with and play against the best players in the country. Without a doubt, I accomplished both of these goals in my two years at Kentucky.  Now as I head into my junior year, I recognize that my new and adjusted goals require me to make some very difficult upcoming decisions.  Coach Cal has been everything I expected him to be, as I have felt very comfortable talking with him about my situation.  I cannot stress enough how supportive Coach has been during this period. He is more than a coach to me, and for that I am forever grateful.

During this next year, I will be working on my body so that I am able to compete the way I know I can.  I want to find a situation that will help me do this as well as play a more significant role, wherever that may be. Even though I might physically leave Lexington, I will never forget the support and kindness that everyone has shown my family and me.  It is difficult to put into words how hard it is to possibly leave BBN, yet I am confident that whatever I choose, I will give it my all. Regardless, I will always bleed blue and will never forget these amazing last two years at Kentucky.

Kyle Wiltjer

*****

We’d all love to see him stay, but the decision is his to make and moving on is probably his best option. There are plenty of offenses out there that are tailored to fit Kyle’s style of play, and Kentucky isn’t one of them. If he stays, he’ll have to change his game to try to find a spot in the dribble-drive offense. If he goes, he can pick a school that will utilize the tools and strengths he already has. Either way, he has Big Blue Nation’s full support.

Now to the News and Views…

As I mentioned above, the NBA draft is 68 hours away and Nerlens Noel’s stock continues to drop with every passing hour. Once the consensus No. 1 overall pick, Nerlens now has some draft gurus projecting him as low as fifth to the Phoenix Suns. Chad Ford, however, is still sticking to Nerlens going to the Cavs, assuming GM Chris Grant can convince Dan Gilbert to continue to be patient with the rebuilding process, he says. Ford writes, “Noel has the most upside of anyone in the draft and is a perfect long-term fit with Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters. His elite athleticism and shot-blocking abilities could anchor their defense some day. The fact that he isn’t a polished offensive player matters less because the Cavs already have a couple of those on their roster.”

Ford also notes that Alex Len, this week’s flavor, is on crutches with an injury that imposes a higher risk. Len is suffering from a stress fracture in his ankle, an injury that should be bigger red flag than Noel’s torn ACL.

And what about Archie, you ask? Jim Brighters of The Sports Network has the most confidence in Archie heading into Thursday night; he projects Archie going 25th to the Clippers:

25. LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS – Archie Goodwin (Kentucky), Shooting Guard (6-5, 189) – A very mediocre one season at Kentucky led some to be surprised Goodwin came out early. He has to cut down his turnovers and inconsistency. This would be a good situation for him to go, assuming Chris Paul re-signs here. With Chauncey Billups and Matt Barnes both free agents, Goodwin could play some right away.

Goodwin dropped all the way to No. 47 in NBADraft.net’s updated mock draft Monday. He could really go anywhere from the late first round on.

Coach Cal addressed Archie Goodwin and several other Kentucky basketball related topics during his brief appearance on the SEC summer teleconference Monday morning. I summarized Cal’s portion of the teleconference earlier this afternoon, but I will summarize the summary (that’s deep) for you tonight so you don’t have to waste any finger energy scrolling down to find it. Quick hitters! Let’s go!

— The 2013-14 Wildcats will be more like the Wall-Cousins team than the 2012 team. Execution won’t be great due to youth, but they’ll win games with athleticism, physicality and talent.

— “Having talented players doesn’t guarantee you win, but having bad players will guarantee you’re gonna lose.”

— Competition will bring out the best in Alex Poythress and Wille Cauley-Stein. “They’ve elevated their game.”

— “If you tell me there’s a guy out there that says, ‘Well, I like to coach ‘em up,’ well, you go coach ‘em up, and let me go get talented guys.”

— He hopes to have the Harrisons and James Young on campus soon, possibly as early as this weekend. He would’ve liked to have had them here for the eight-week summer session but their school years ran longer and they’re still finishing some stuff up academically. “They will be fine.”

— Archie’s decision to go pro was his own and Archie has to make it work. He wished Archie would’ve returned, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what he thinks.

— Last season was “humbling.”

Before he picked up the telephone for the SEC teleconference, Coach Cal attended mass in New Jersey where he ran into a very important stranger from his past. He told the story of what could turn out to be a magical handshake on Facebook Monday afternoon:

“As I was leaving Mass this morning, an older woman grabbed me and said, “Do you remember me from two years ago?” I said, “To be honest, I really don’t.” She said, “You were leaving Mass here two years ago and I wished you luck and shook your hand – and then you won the national title!” I said, “Well, get over here and shake my hand again and wish me luck!” And she did.”

Boom. Hang the banner.

Alabama lost Trevor Lacey to NC State this offseason and now Devonta Pollard is leaving the program to handle his legal issues. Pollard, a top 25 recruit in the 2012 class, was arrested earlier this month for conspiracy to commit kidnapping and faces a maximum of five years in jail and a $250,000 fine. His mother faces a maximum penalty of life in prison for the kidnapping of a six-year-old child. Moral of the story: Don’t kidnap children.

In football recruiting news, Matt Elam took his first unofficial visit to Notre Dame on Monday and, unlike KSR, loved what he saw in South Bend. “It was one of the best visits I have been on,” Elam told Blue & Gold Illustrated. “Just a wonderful campus. Just so much tradition there. It’s crazy.” He said it opened his eyes to the potential of playing for the Irish and it was much more than he expected.

KSR will be coming to you live from Williamson, West Virginia tomorrow morning for the second stop on the radio tour. Stop by for your chance to win two tickets to a UK home basketball next season and tune in to hear lots of Kyle Wiltjer discussion.

Go Cats,

Article written by Drew Franklin

51 Comments for Kyle Wiltjer’s Tuesday News and Views

1. My2Cents
    11:08 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wonder if Cal goes after Dante Exum now that a scholarship has opened up. I read he’d be eligible in January.

2. Old Henry Man
    11:10 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Kyle Who?

3. Sandy
    11:17 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

It was that damned trip to China! I bet you good money Wiltjer transfers to the University of Shanghai.

4. gokycats33
    11:18 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I hate seeing Kyle possibly leaving. I wish him the best of luck in whatever decision he makes going forward. To me he will always be a Wildcat!

5. Katdaddy
    11:18 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Exum is in class 2014 and doesn’t even have ky on his list.

6. Seven Eight Nine
    11:29 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

@3 yep you’re right, those things are the only things Cal has ever done with Mcd AA’s

7. UK
    11:29 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

So our team is going to be like 2010. The team that was a bad shooting night away from a National Title. And this team has shooters. Yeah I’m okay with that.

8. Sleepy
    11:43 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

LOL. Archie, has to watch his turnovers and fouls? Tell me some $h!t I don’t know. The kid is terrible. Wouldn’t pick him for my backyard pick up game.

9. Catfan
    12:03 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Wish nothing but the best for Kyle, would have been a great role player for our next championship run. We will grab the tile though. #_the_future_can’t_be_denide_BBN_9

10. Catfan_
    12:05 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Wish nothing but the best for Kyle, would have been a great role player for our next championship run. We will grab the tiltle though. #_the_future_can’t_be_denide_BBN_9

11. UKBlue
    12:16 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Hate to see Kyle go, but he is making a decision that lets face it, is the best thing for him. Kyle talents & body type just don’t fit into what Cal is trying to do, and his options would be limited at UK.

Agents have put the hit out of Noel.

Archie did the dumbest personal decision leaving UK, but at the same time did UK a huge favor leaving !! To waste a first round pick on a kid that will not listen & will have a hard time ever getting out of the D League is stupid & that team GM should be fired immediate if he does it.

12. Caftan
    12:36 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

To my dismay, my sources say Wiltcher to Syracuse, with the possibility of Polson joining him.

13. huh
    1:06 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

12 that’s just stupid. Polson would have to play this year. And wiltjer can’t play this year.

14. SadCat
    1:46 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Kyle is dumber than Archie…

15. Wildcatsteeler
    1:48 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

@8 And yet he’ll go on to make millions in the NBA. While you support some white guy that abandons the team to go play for a rival team. It’s Kentucky what do you expect? If this transfer was a black guy he is cursed and forgotten. Can anybody say Harrow? You necks are so transparent it’s comical.

16. Wildcatsteeler
    1:50 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

I wish him the worst of luck and hope just like Orten he never shows his traitor face here again.

17. ILCatsFan
    1:58 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

For Cal’s sake, I hope we have a great season and put last year’s embarrassment behind us. Wiltjer leaving already isn’t a good sign. I know he probably would not have had a huge role, but he is valuable as a shooter and and a veteran, upperclass player. Other than Cauley-Stein, Poythress, and Polson, this team is a bunch of freshman yet again. Hopefully there are no busts out of this group like last year.

18. LongParagraphsSuck
    2:08 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Matt, Drew,
    Hit Return: long paragraphs are Hard To Read!!!!

19. Psy
    2:28 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

If he spent 1/2 as much time on the weights as he did these BackSTreet Boyz videos he’d be drafted this year. Lazy.

20. Perspective Gained
    3:28 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Wildcatsteeler you are defintely reaching. People are fake anytime they speak or write so stop reading into it like its their self, did your words best represent you or do you make yourself represent your words. Either way you need a vacation.

21. Catfan_ is the man
    3:33 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Wish everyone had your attitude man.

22. Stop Hammer Time
    6:15 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Wheelchair will be good once he gets some coaching.

23. InBetterShapeThanYou
    6:24 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

This represents a huge failure on Calipari’s part IMO. A premier college shooter who was actually integral to the Championship season has decided to take his game elsewhere.

The understory to this should be as ugly as Cal’s Muscle/Fat Ratio Numbers.

24. Fesler
    6:26 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck to Wilcher and to Canadian National team in the NBA playoffs

25. jeff
    6:40 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

What time will KSR be at the Pine Mountain Grill in Whitesburg?

26. rainman
    7:14 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Why wouldn’t he leave, half of us can’t even spell his name?
    OR, are half of us LOSERVILLE TROLLS?

27. NBA
    7:24 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

If Anthony Davis & Michael Kidd Gilchrist can’t hide Kyle Wiltjer on DEFENSE A zone doesn’t stand a chance.

– James A Naismith

28. theSkinny81
    7:26 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

23 – Zach Price, Rakeem Buckles, Jared Swopshire, Steven Van Treese, Elisha Justice, Bryan Harvey, Chad Millard, Brian Johnson…. even Mike Marra thought about it for a time. (He then realized no other DIV I school would take a player with clowns tatted on his knees).

The …”understory”… to that is skankier than Karen Sypher.

29. Art Vandalay
    7:36 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

23) Hahahahaha.

Yeah its a huge failure on Cal’s part and you are right….this should be a HUGE story that shakes the very foundation of college basketball.

You can’t be very intelligent. Cal’s muscle/fat ratio numbers? I get that you are trying to say Cal is fat but surely even a UofL troll with an obviously limited education can come up with something a little more clever (or even a real measurement such as BMI).

Now get back over to your University of Riff Raff message boards and make sure and tell all your buddies to come and check out the wicked awesome burn you just posted on KSR.

30. bleedblueky
    7:50 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Kyle – Thanks for these two years and BBN wish you the Best Luck wherever you go 🙂

31. No You're Not!
    7:53 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Seriously, #23? Seriously? You calling someone out of shape is like the pot calling the kettle black. Step forward and be seen.

32. Some Guy in Kentucky
    7:57 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Why has Kyle not worked on his body the 2 years he has been at UK so he can compete?

33. bung
    8:00 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

sounds like he said he needs to work on his body and is looking for someplace to help him do that…

34. Can you Say Wisconsin
    8:28 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Kyle would be the poster child for Wisconsin basketball.

35. Kentucky Effect
    8:45 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Outside shooting, free throws, and experience is lost. Barely effects the depth chart and/or overall talent level, though.

36. DCS195
    8:45 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Note to Matt Elam: pack your winter coat. It’s funny. These football players take their recruiting visits in July and not in January.

37. H.A. Milton
    9:16 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

I don’t fully support kids who say things like “I just want everyone to know I AM NOT TRANSFERRING. The thought never crossed my mind. I love Coach Cal and the staff, UK, and the BBN.” and then do just that two months later. I understand why he wants to go, and hope he has come to terms with giving up any dream of playing in the NBA. But if you know you are considering transferring, which clearly he was, don’t frigging say the exact opposite on a public forum. Someone needs to teach these kids accountability. Idiots…

38. Charles Maxwell
    9:21 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

The only thing that truly matters is that Kyle was a role model for young UK fans!!

39. NL
    9:21 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

So we’ve now lost Noel, Goodwin, Harrow, and Wiltjer…Its hard to build a perennial powerhouse when no one sticks around. In Cal I trust, I hope

40. jumpdaddy
    9:24 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Kyle should redshirt and stay at UK. If he transfers he’ll sit a year. Where else can he play against this competition, get a ring, and come back to a team that wants him, loves him, needs him, and he can dominate? Everyone is already saying next years recruiting will be down a notch by cal standards. Get Kyle back with a stronger body and a year of playing against these guys in practice all year and he’s a starter upon return who is loved by BBN and set for live with or without the NBA. No brainer. Tell kyle you love him and want him to stay BBN!!!

41. Meh
    9:48 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

If Kyle wanted to step up, be the man and have the offense run through him there was no better opportunity to do so than last year.

42. Kentucky Effect
    9:51 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

40) 2014 class will be down a notch only because #1 Okafor and #2 Jones are going to Duke. The rest of the class is up for grabs and Mudiay is coming

43. L-Dog
    9:56 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Ooooh Well…Wiltjer’s loss!!!

44. Melvit
    10:12 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

“A very mediocre one season at Kentucky” — That’s putting it nice.

45. kybigblue
    10:51 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Surprised he didn’t transfer at the end of the season. I think he loves it at UK but also realizes that it will be hard for him to get a lot of playing time his junior year. Maybe being off campus has helped him make the decision. He will get more playing time elsewhere. Sitting out a year will help him work on his game expecially on the defensive end and he needs to get stronger. He is a great person and wish him only the best.

46. Scott
    10:58 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

is the show for Pine Mtn. on Wed. or Thurs., ???? plan on attending

47. bluecreeker
    1:23 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Never have I read so much crap on a UK site. Kyle Wiltjer along with players like Polson and the Mono depleted John Hood were about the only ones on the floor last year who had a clue what they were doing offensively. UK was a MUCH, MUCH better team offensively with Wiltjer on the floor and the ball moving through his hands.
    Defensive liability? only if Cal allows him to be a defensive liability. Wiltjer had no such issues with Noel on the floor, and with Noel gone….it would only be up to one person to make the adjustments in order for Kyle to still be effective. A zone defense might have been in order?
    No sir……more Cal trying to fit the square peg into the round hole IMO. I said the same thing years ago about Tubby. The man refused to change his style to suit the players on the floor.
    Kyle Wiltjer will be THE man at Gonzaga, and I will be a Gonzaga fan as long as he is there. It will be refreshing to see him prosper in a way he wouldn’t behind the likes of Archie Griffin, Poythress, Harrow, and whatever 1 and done genius we get. Regardless what worked last year….Cal went right back to Griffin and Poythress time after time after time…..it was painful to watch for all BBN.
    Sorry gang, but I have been watching UK Bball since Joe B. Hall days, and I am starting to not like what I see.
    I calls ‘em like I sees ‘em.
    Good luck to Kyle Wiltjer…..one of my favorite UK players.

48. bluecreeker
    1:29 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

#41

Uh…..Cal had more than a little to do with that.

It was obvious to anybody that UK was a much better team offensively with Kyle on the floor. Cal would rather try to ram Harrow, Goodwin, and Poythress down everybody’s throat instead of playing the high low game with Wiltjer at Point Forward.

I say “meh”

Kyle will be the man, and Gonzaga will continue to compete without “one and done” players like they always do…..you know…those “slow” guys.

49. Megan
    5:29 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Well this totally sucks. Kyle has to do what’s best for him, I get that. But I like him, and I want him in a Kentucky uniform next year. Why can’t I get what I want? (sigh)

50. mudcreekmark
    5:34 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Wish he would stay and red shirt. Take the same route the kid from Gonzaga. He could work on his body and practice against the best players in the nation and come back the following year ready to be the man. Wiltjers best bet to get a chance to play in the NBA is playing at UK for the best coach in the nation at getting kids into the league. I’m afraid he will leave, never to be heard from again.

51. Don
    9:11 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Kyle is a great streak shooter, but inconsistent. He will have a problem with being slow. You can not teach speed and quickness, no matter how good the coach. I think he will want to go somewhere close to home.