Kyle Wiltjer: Basketball Junkie with an Old-School Game

In Part 3 of their 5 part series about the incoming players, the writers at coachcal.com profiled Kyle Wiltjer.  Wiltjer comes in as the least-heralded of his fellow freshman, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t bring a ton of game with him.  A 5-star player out of Oregon, Wiltjer surprised the UK staff with his committment.  But as more facts about Wiltjer come out, it appears they made have grabbed a steal from the West Coast.  A couple highlights from the article:

As much as you can call an 18-year-old a historian of the game, that’s exactly what Wiltjer is. He’s an astute follower. When Wiltjer discovered YouTube, he ditched the films for highlights and amateur mix tapes. It’s not uncommon for Wiltjer to watch YouTube highlights seven nights a week.

“I feel like I’m a versatile player,” Wiltjer said. “I can go in the post and have a lot of post moves. I can also take bigger defenders out on the wing because I feel like my shot opens up a lot of opportunities. I can change my game against different players. I’m a good passer, so if they throw double teams, I’m good at distributing it. I’m always working on every part of my game because you can’t be perfect at everything. I just try to work on a lot of skill work because it makes me tougher to defend.”

“During my whole career I’ve tried to surround myself with the best players,” said Wiltjer, who chose UK over North Carolina, Wake Forest, California, Texas and Gonzaga. “Even when I picked my high school, no one thought I would even get minutes. I just like to prove people wrong. You get better in games, but you really get good if you’re playing against the best every day in practice because it pushes you being around that high of a level. Going against the best brings out the best in you, plus it’s fun.”

Fan favorite anyone? To read the entire article, click here. Still to come are profiles on Marquis Teague and Ryan Harrow.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

22 Comments for Kyle Wiltjer: Basketball Junkie with an Old-School Game

1. You Can Call Me Cal
    2:53 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

BTI, this article is not new. It’s been up for a while. You’re slacking. Gimme some new stuff

2. WinstonWolf
    2:59 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Yeah what he said.

3. duh
    3:01 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

uhh, yea. this is a week old.

4. Jason
    3:12 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Looks like Steve Brown was right.

5. fresh prince of adair
    3:14 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

i thoroughly enjoyed reading this a week ago when you all linked it

6. Blank Madness
    3:16 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Love me some Kyle!

7. UKFan_22
    3:27 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Former Cat Great Jamal Mashburn tweets that Joe B. Hall and Sam Bowie be coaching the Kentucky Pros

8. Bryan the Intern
    3:38 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

7) He linked an article from July 28th in that tweet. So, he is reporting old news. Much like this article, I guess.

9. UKIreland
    3:41 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

BTI, are you using Larry Vaught’s droid? This story is easily a week old!

10. LaryLarry
    3:49 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

9) Oh my god, a whole week old!!!! Golly, how will you ever survive reading an article that is a whole week old? BTI should craft his resignation letter now for the tragedy of posting a 6 day old article. Hahahaha. I’m sorry, but the comments above are just sad and pathetic.

Did ANYWHERE in this blog post did I say “BREAKING NEWS” or “BRAND NEW”? It’s a Sunday in the summer, give him a break. Sometimes there is nothing to report. Go outside and go running or play with your kids and stop getting your panties in a bunch over 6-day old articles.

11. ink
    4:01 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

soon to be fan fave and while no one will say so, danger to be one and done … i predict one and done or 4 year legend

12. UKIreland
    4:29 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Larry, you’re the sad & pathetic one here. So you’d be ok if BTI came out here with an article saying “Michael Gilchrist to sign with UK”, provided it doesn’t say breaking? Don’t be a BTI homer!

13. Blueburg
    4:36 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Kyle will be a fan favorite and one of the more unique players at UK given his size, versatility and upside. I look forward to watching him develop and eventually take advantage of defenses that underestimate him.

14. Catfan
    4:50 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

He’s going to be great. His jersey will hang in rupp one day(or hopefully a new stadium lol). I’m calling it

15. catnuts
    5:05 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

I cannot wait. I think he wil be a 4 year player, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don’t think he would have signed with UK if he had only planned on playing for one year. He knows going in that it will be tough getting playing time and you have to love that competive spirit. He wanted to be chalenged in practice each day to maximize his potential and that is exactly what will happen.Good luck and you are already a fan favorite.

16. MG
    5:09 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Loves me some Wiltjer! Reminds me a bit of a young Dirk. He will be a fan favorite.

17. I heart Jorts
    5:56 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Can’t wait for Kyle to step on the floor!

18. SagaciousMind
    6:13 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Sounds like some of you need to get our panties out of a wad. If you realize that the article is old, its simple…dont read it!! There could be people who havent read it yet!

19. saunierjs
    7:07 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

In the Gillespie days, if we got a player like Wiltjer we would be talking about him non stop

20. Ira Tatum
    7:09 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

He is a fan favorite now. Can not wait to see this kid play. Moves, dunks, passes, and 3’s will ignite Rupp Arena. But the kid’s hook shot – off the chain, voluminous.

21. RidgeRunner
    7:12 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Certainly cool when the kid signed with us and never visited or was that heavily recruited by us. Kid is smart for sure and I look forward to seeing him out on the court. The top guns (Davis, Teague, etc..) will provide some openings for him with the attention they get.

22. Latest news
    10:12 pm July 31, 2011 Permalink

Hey there, You write some excellent blogs. I check back here often to see if you have modified. I thought you might want to know, whenever I click your RSS feed it re-directs me to another website.