KSR’s UK Basketball Season Preview: Alex Poythress

To fully prepare for the 2012-13 basketball season, KSR conducted one-on-one interviews with each member of the Kentucky basketball team about their expectations for the team and what they would like to achieve individually. We’ll release two interviews per day throughout the week. Up now: Alex Poythress from Clarksville, TN.

********

The biggest pressure on this new Kentucky team, the youngest of the Calipari era, is following up last year’s “GR8NESS.” The 2011-12 UK basketball squad finished the season with a 38-2 record and the Wooden NCAA National Championship trophy. It was arguably one of the best college basketball teams of all-time. But Alex Poythress, a highly-touted forward from Clarksville, Tennessee, thinks his team has a shot at winning a second consecutive banner for the University of Kentucky.

“Honestly, I do think so,” Poythress said when asked about Kentucky repeating as NCAA champions. “We have great pieces this year. We have a great team.”

In order for the 2012-13 club to reach its goal of winning #9, Alex Poythress will need to be a star. He’s projected to be the team’s leading scorer, and, with Kentucky’s lack of depth, his versatility will be vital to the team’s success. Cal says he can play Poythress at the 2, 3, or 4 positions.

And Poythress knows that.

“Yeah, I do,” he said when asked if he prides himself on his versatility. “I’m quick enough for the slower people guarding me. I’m strong enough for the smaller people.”

Calipari said he loves the skill level of his young forward, but notes that it is very important for Poythress to maximize his talent. Cal wants to see Alex get his motor to where Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s was last season. After all, Cal expects the best from everyone.

“He’s different, you know. He expects the best out of you,” Poythress said of playing under Calipari. “He’ll yell at you sometimes, he’ll talk to you like a normal person. As long as you’re doing things right, he’ll be cool.”

Now, if only Poythress can get used to living away from home, he’ll be good to go.

“You just gotta take care of yourself,” Poythress said. “Buy your own toothpaste and stuff like that.”

The life of a UK basketball player isn’t as easy as some believe. Like the general public, they too have to remember to buy toothpaste.

Watch KSR’s entire one-on-one interview with Alex Poythress…

(Shot with an iPhone so the sound is pretty terrible. Turn your volume up. Way up.)

Other profiles: John Calipari, Julius MaysNerlens NoelRyan Harrow, Archie Goodwin

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for KSR’s UK Basketball Season Preview: Alex Poythress

1. Big Blue 66
    10:51 am October 3, 2012 Permalink

Alex will be a beast

2. theSkinny81
    11:02 am October 3, 2012 Permalink

good kid. humble. gonna be a favorite I can already tell.

3. Aaron C Bunch
    11:05 am October 3, 2012 Permalink

I’ve been excited about Poythress since he committed! Go Cats!

4. AWAT
    11:12 am October 3, 2012 Permalink

Reminds me of one of my all-time favorites, Patrick Patterson!

5. Rick Roy
    12:14 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

Cal brings some good character players in. Going to love him and Archie!

6. 1998
    12:27 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

this is one high quality video interview…..

7. CATSCATSCATS
    12:29 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

Watch out for this guy. He may be a little quiet but he’ll be loud on the court. Poythress will be a force here and in the SEC.

8. kabooley
    1:27 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

goodwin and poythress practically share a position and together they are so much more offensively than MKG had in the 2-3 last year. Defensively they allow john calipari to switch the look and speed of his team in one substitution.

9. Jason
    2:03 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

He’s one of those players that had an NBA ready body when he was still just in high school. Gonna be an animal from day one. Already sickens me though of the thought of him bullying his way to the rim on duke on 11/13, just to have one of those big stiffs slide under him at the last second for a bogus charge call.

10. Duke Sucks
    2:47 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

#4 I don’t know if you have seen them play yet but Goodwin and poythress are totally different players. They will not play the same position Goodwin could play both guard spots he’s more like Meeks Poythress is closer to TJ. Type. No way they play same position Goodwin will primarily be a 2 poythress will mainly play the 3.

11. kabuuley
    2:59 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

#10 I think you mean me [#8] and I dont stir an argument that they are the same player, rather that the 4-5 will be locked up by our 3 bigs and the 1-2 managed better by Harrow and Mays, leaving the 2-3 wing up to either of these players. I will concede each has much adaption to their game to allow a fit anywhere on the lineup but I think Cal will scheme them together. Your comparisons are off and i call fallacy on your final agrument as Cal cares not for defined positions, but if you insinuate they may play at the same time, I will not debate that point.

12. kabuuley
    3:00 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

Im a 20 yr old kroger worker and i can see that

13. Duke Sucks
    3:13 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

#12 Don’t think because your 20 year old Kroger work that you knowless then anyone else. That’s the best thing about being a sports fan. Really none of us no anything. Myself number 1. If we knew as much as we thought we did we would be coaching instead of on the message boards.
    In a side note. I have respect for any 20 year old who is willing to work. Just a little advice from a old man go to school get a education either collage or vocational. Any 20 year old willing to work at Kroger when most your age are to lazy to get off the couch, will be very successfull with a education.

14. kabooley
    8:23 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

#13 Sir Thank you.

15. Caliterry
    11:09 pm October 3, 2012 Permalink

Goooooooooo #12…I’m a 22 year old recently graduated guy in finance, I respect/admire anyone in our generation who is employed. I’m about damn sick of people saying this generation is ruined, we are not afraid to work.