KSR’s Guide to Nashville

nashvilleguide

The SEC Tournament is finally here! As one of KSR’s two Nashville residents, I’ve spent the past few days channeling my inner business analyst and put together two flowcharts to help you eat, drink and party in Nashville for the SEC Tournament. Click on each restaurant/bar name to go to their website. As a general disclaimer, yes, I realize there are tons of restaurants in Nashville, but these are my favorites. If yours isn’t on the list, don’t be offended. Just add it in the comments section.

First, you gotta eat…

Nashville-Restaurant-Flow-1

PDF version

* Be sure to read Yelp! reviews for hints on Sam’s Sushi Bar etiquette. I wish I were joking, but I promise it’s worth it.

TIPS

– If you decide to go to Pancake Pantry, keep in mind that there will probably be a very long wait. I personally don’t see what all the fuss is about over pancakes, but people have been known to wait in line for hours for the fluffy flapjacks. My advice? Draw straws to see who goes early to wait in line.

– The same goes for The Pharmacy on a pretty day. If the weather forecast holds, the Beer Garden will be packed with people eager to enjoy some suds and sun. If the wait is too long for your liking, head on over to the Five Points area and find a porch to perch on.

It’s always five o’clock in Music City. Let’s find you a place to drink:

Nashville-bar-flow

PDF version

TIPS:

KSR’s home for the weekend will be the WILDHORSE SALOON at 120 2nd Avenue North. This is where we will host Friday’s morning show, as well as the pregame and postgame shows. UK will also hold its official pep rally here Friday afternoon from 3-5 p.m. CT. Click here for details and tickets.

— Lower Broadway will be packed, so to avoid some of the lengthy lines to get in to the Honky Tonks, go to the alley behind them (next to the Ryman). Most of the bars have back doors and it’s much easier to get in and maybe even snag a table in the back.

— I’ve got good news and bad news. Bad news first: Nashville still allows smoking in 21+ establishments, which means the majority of bars will be smoky. Good news: A good number of honky tonks have gone smoke-free, so there are ways to avoid it. Bring your Febreeze just in case.

— Taking cabs is awesome. It’s even more awesome when you take Nashville’s KARAOKE KAB, which gets you to and from the bars safely while keeping the party rolling (literally). Look how much fun these people are having while not driving drunk!

See you when you get here.

59 Comments for KSR’s Guide to Nashville

1. WildcatFan
    9:37 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Craft Brewed is a must. New bar owned by UK alumnus near vandy campus. Look up reviews online. All positive

2. WildcatFan
    9:41 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

3. Too many obese uk fans
    9:47 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Our fans are already fat enough. Not the best idea to show them this. You should tweek it an show more healthy choices.

4. NashVegas
    9:59 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

First off, as a Centre student (hooray for Danville) and former Nashville resident, I am mostly pleased by these lists. However, the omission of Rippy’s as a bar destination and San Antonio Taco Co. as a dining/cheap pitchers option is a travesty and disgusts me. Further, TIn Roof on Music Row absolutely drops a deuce on both the Louisville/Lexington locations. Girls are MUCH hotter and it’s just an overall better atmosphere.

5. Winston
    10:02 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

This is strong work, but did you have to give away the broadway alley secret?

6. buk
    10:04 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Burger Up is outstanding. There is a burrito place called Chile burrito on 3rd that is forever calling me back to Nashville. Also, get drunk before judging lower Broadway. It’s less fun sober.

7. Dan
    10:05 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Awesome! The most valuable info I have run across on the Internet today!

8. NashVegas
    10:06 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Places at the Gulch, Hillsboro, 12th Avenue, and Music Row should be kept in mind. Damn it, I need to move back to Nashville

9. buk
    10:07 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Oh, and that Alley way behind the honkey-tonks is sacred ground.

10. Hoss
    10:11 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Any local Cougar Club’s to hook up for some lovin?

11. The Voice of Reason
    10:14 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Glaring omissions from your food flowchart:

BURGER: Twin Kegs (with a side of shuffleboard and cigarette smoke.)
    MEAT & THREE: Arnold’s country kitchen (how do you live in Nashville and not know Arnold’s?)
    MEXICAN: Las Americas (off nolensville road, by far the best in town)
    SUSHI: Samurai (if only for the choo choo and Vandy rolls.)

12. Nashville Cat Mama
    10:20 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

For a fine fancy meal, try Miel out off Charlotte. Small and excellent local food w/ a French twist.

13. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    10:24 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

First of all, I agree 100% with #4. Travesty. That being said, Prince’s Hot Chicken is the best. If you can survive the 30 min cab ride into the middle of the ghetto, it is about the best chicken you’ll ever eat. And when they say hot, they mean HOT. Plus its open roughly all night as well, which is convenient.

14. Anna
    10:30 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Paradise Park Trailer Park Resort’s adjoining restaurant is a 2 a.m. hunger craving treat. the tator tots are amazing. especially after a night of celebrating a Cats win!

15. Nashville Scott
    10:40 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

What about Sam’s Tavern to watch the game? Best sports bar in town!!!!

16. Kristen Geil's Abs
    10:47 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Dang Tyler, that looks like a lot of work. Nice Job.

17. Sarah White
    11:10 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

This is absolutely perfect! Great job. I live in Lebanon, right outside of Nashville, and can hardly wait for the games to begin!

18. Miss Nomer
    11:12 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I recently ate at Etch and it was AMAZING. I seriously wanted to lick the plate.

19. Sarah White
    11:13 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Arnold’s is a great meat and three. For some neat restaurants either drive or take a taxi to Germantown for the Germantown Cafe, Cupcake Collection (Best Cupcakes in Nashville), and Monell’s – another meat and three. All of this is in the historic area.

20. Stan
    11:30 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

What the hell is a “meat and three”?!?

21. Miss Nomer
    11:36 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Stan — “Meat & three” = a meat and three vegs

22. @the_colter
    11:43 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Jacks BBQ is freaking awesome. highly recommend it.

23. TNMomma
    11:43 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I have to disagree with the BBQ picks. Nashville has some good BBQ and it can’t be found near downtown. For the best in the area, head to Martin’s BBQ Joint in Nolensville – nothing else compares.

The Palm is always good for a nicer meal. It will be expensive and I recommend reservations – but it is across the street from the arena.

Welcome to NashVegas!

24. some guy
    11:49 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I have no critique of the included establishments (although the Blue Bird Café deserves a mention)…I’m just impressed. This thing is incredible. It’s probably the most well-put-together thing I’ve ever seen on KSR. I mean, holy shit. Good job, TT

25. JohnnyWoo
    11:56 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I am no Nashville expert, but the fact that The Pancake Pantry was not picked as the recommended brunch spot makes me completely lose faith in Mrs. TT’s selections. You’re not exactly a foodie, are you TT?

26. CaliUKfan
    12:00 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

This is an informative post Tyler

27. Miss Nomer
    12:23 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Pancake Pantry is much ado about nothing.

28. FiddlerKY
    12:57 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

By far the best burger in Nashville is at the National Underground. It’s next door to Big River Grille (overrated IMO), close to the corner of Broadway and 1st (across from HardRock).

29. Syrin
    1:22 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I LIVE in Nashville, and intend to print out this guide. Very nice.

30. Ky boy
    1:42 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Go to Hard Rock Cafe Friday and check out Kentucky boys Sundy Best. Great band on the rise and sure to put on a show for cats fans

31. Multiple cars, want free parking?
    3:21 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

There is a white castle on broadway. Leave one car there and carpool over to the arena

32. gotea
    5:42 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Damn you must live in brentwood to post such a moronic schematic. Ok, you people love corn3r oub, but that place sucks. Venture out, this moron thinks tin roof is great still. If you like puke and Vandy idiods look at this post. I must have thrown you out of a bar for orderin a bourbon and coke with Jack Daniels. Stop misleading people with these stupid post. Jesus.

33. Jho4uk
    5:52 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Rose pepper in east Nash for Mexican….get the cheese dip
    Edleys BBQ in south Nash…..get the tuck special
    Pirahnas on 2nd……good bar food

I live in Nash…..go cats

34. thats budda
    7:28 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Hey #32, yeah you, gotea. Why don’t you go try to goteabagyourself. Anybody that works this much on something deserves a thank you. Not a rip job you holier than thee I’m so cool because I think I know the in places you wouldn’t know Jesus if he tea bagged you dickweed. Good job TT

35. Daddy
    8:03 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Great list. Mafiaosos on 12th South has to be mentioned for pizza!!!

36. RahRah
    8:08 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Strong work, Mrs TT!
    Will you personally be doing radio?

37. mikeman
    8:12 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I do not live in Nashville, and really have no idea if these places even exist, but those flow charts are impressive.

38. Pabloco
    8:22 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Excellent work! Would like to add Pepperfire on Gallatin Pike to the Hot Chicken list. Best in town. Hattie B’s is not great but their pimento cheese Mac and cheese is worth the visit. Would also agree that Pancake Pantry is WAY over-rated.

39. Rockfield, KY
    8:22 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Without reading the article, this list is obviously a sham. Jackson’s isn’t listed in the Brunch section.

40. Rockfield, KY
    8:31 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

BTW Tyler, I’m kidding about the sham comments. Nice work.

41. outbck844
    9:07 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

What, no Noshville…a must for breakfast/brunch! No other complaints, I’m even ok with leaving off Demos. Great work.

42. Gary
    9:08 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

#4 is completely correct. How in the hell is SATCo not on this list?

43. Beth
    9:09 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Nice work, TT. I can vouch for a few of these places. I would recommend people venture across the bridge into East Nashville – lots of cool places – try Mad Donna’s, Ugly Mugs Coffee, or Rosepepper Cantina.

44. Bluemoo
    9:16 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Best two bars in Nashville: Losers and Cowboy Kewl

45. Swamp Jankins
    9:17 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Thanks TT…can’t wait to get down there.

46. The Jesus
    9:21 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

SATCO is turrrrible. I don’t think most of you know what you are talking about. Also….avoid Burger Up. They have fancy condiments and quality beef, but they have no clue how to cook it. I’m not going to critique every other joint discussed here, but I will say this: seek out some food trucks (Grilled Cheeserie, Smoke et al., Riffs). Also I wish I could be at Pharmacy to see the look on all of those hipsters faces if a swarm of BBN shows up.

47. BlueMoo
    9:25 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Best BBQ in Nashville: Hog Heaven

48. Jughead
    9:27 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Do NOT go to Sam’s sushi–he’s an obnoxious moron. ETCH is the BEST new restaurant in Nashvegas–on Demonbreun near 3rd.

I think most of the BBN would love Pucketts–close to the action, quick service, good prices, great food.

Don’t forget 1808 Bar and Grill in the Hutton Hotel for happy hour. Killer burger plate for $5.00, great wine features for $6.00, lotsa Vandy eye candy.

49. Jughead
    9:32 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Also, City House is not really Italian…much,much more. Tandy is one of the best chefs in the south, try the crispy pig ears as an appetizer. Friggin killer! The Germantown area of Nashville is really coming on–Germantown Cafe, City House, and Silo all rock!

50. BigBlueAces
    9:54 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

No Bound’ry listed? Love that place! Plus the Exec Chef is Michael Kidd. No “-Gilchrist”, but you get the idea…..

51. Adam
    10:17 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Mafiaoza’s and Cafe Nona should also be there under Italian. Both can be pricey, but they’re two of my favorite Nashville restaurants. I’ve lived here less than a year though.

52. Jeremy
    10:28 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Went to Nashville for my bachelor party and we ate at Prince’s Hot Chicken to help us soak up some of the bourbon from the night before…. ITS AMAZING. Easily the hottest friend chicken I have ever had but its great. Warning that it kinda sketchy part of town but well worth it.

53. blue in bama
    11:51 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

47… you are correct on the bbq at Hog Heaven. Burger is National Underground with Twin Kegs a very close second. Monell’s for the meat and three. Man… I am hungry.

54. PinkUKfan
    12:48 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

As a native Nashvillian, I think this is outstanding! I’m looking forward to all of the blue converging on my home town, and hope to see some of you at the show broadcast on Friday morning, and even more of you at the game Friday night. Well done, Mrs. TT

55. bluristhurr
    2:05 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

The best bar in Nashville is whatever ones let a person smoke in it! I didn’t go serve 6 years in the military to be told I can’t smoke anywhere inside in Bowling Green because it bothers some people.

56. STEVE!
    2:07 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Awesome work, Mrs. TT! I’ve lived in Nashville 13 years, and haven’t checked out a lot of these places, but will now. To those of you picking at her work, it’s a lot easier to critique than create.

57. Burger Boy
    2:23 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Burger Republic is a drive from downtown but makes a darn fine burger with Guinness soaked bacon. Worth the trip.

58. 3 Crow Bar
    4:10 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Thanks Mrs.TT for a great guide! Please, everyone come to 3 Crow Bar if you land on the East Nashville side of the river! We are famous for our BUSHWACKERS and we have great burgers, too. You can find us at the corner of 11th & Woodland in the Five Points area and on Facebook at facebook.com/3crowbar! Go Kats! Shhhh…don’t tell the Tennessee folks. 😉

59. Linda Taylor
    4:44 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, that was a lot of work. It was very well done and true to the motto “in the most ridiculous manner possible”, especially the bar guide. Hilarious. I printed both out for future reference since we can’t make it to Nashvegas this weekend. Thanks.