KSRCollege.com Has an Abyss of UK Basketball Fun Facts

Wanna know the answers to those hard hitting basketball trivia questions? Then settle down, (hide your feet if you’re in the library) and enjoy the ride.

Q: Where did Coach Cal play college ball at??

A: Clarion. He originally began his playing career at UNC Wilmington, but transferred to Clarion to play the point for his junior and senior year.

Q: Who was UK’s very first SEC opponent?

A:’Bama? Nope. LSU? No. It’s Tulane. (Tulane was a SEC member until 1966.) Yeah. Tulane.

Q: Which coach had the longest coaching tenure at UK?

A: If you answered Rupp, you’d be right. Rupp coached at UK for 42 years (1931-1972)

Q: In what conference did UK originally play?

A: No, It wasn’t the SEC. It was actually the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association. The conference split in 1921 to form the Southern conference which eventually became the SEC.

Q: In what year was the first televised UK basketball game?

A: 1951. It was a NCAA tourney game in which UK defeated St. Johns, 59-43

Q: What team did the 1948 olympic team, led by five UK players, beat to claim the gold medal?

A: France. 65-21 (Not only did they beat them, they mollywomped them.)

Q: How many NBA players has Coach Cal coached?

A: 28. In retrospect, that’s pretty unreal.

Q: Who was the first Wildcat to appear on the cover of  Sports Illustrated?

A: Ralph Beard graced SI’s over in 1949.

Q: What is Billy Clyde’s record at A&M?

A: 8-23…. Yeah, that’s all I have to say.

This is Part 2, see Part 1 here.

Article written by KSRCollege.com

12 Comments for KSRCollege.com Has an Abyss of UK Basketball Fun Facts

1. GROVER SALES III
    8:54 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

I used to go by the name STEVE BACK…I am a Gay Daddy’s Boy and I haven’t come out from under my Dad’s Boxer Shorts…I get on here and insult Matt Jones because I really have a Gay Crush on him.

2. Coal Miner
    8:54 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Fact: President Obama leads us and is the best president

3. UK Snuggie
    8:56 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

BCG’s record at A&M is far better than 8-23, oh you meant Texas Tech. Get your schools right.

4. Remedial English
    8:57 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Wait, “play basketball at”? You really typed that? If KSR writers continue on like this, it is 100% pure hypocrisy to make
    fun of Loserville fans for not having basic command of the English language. Apparently, neither does KSR. 🙁 COME ON,
    PEOPLE. WE’RE BETTER THAN THIS!!!

5. J.C.
    8:59 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

I did mean Tech. Sorry, I corrected this on my original post

6. J.C.Ausmus
    9:02 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Also, #4…
    You’ve got to remember I came from the hills of Eastern Kentucky. It’s a wonder I know regular English at all. Hillbilly English is my first language.

7. UKBlue
    10:02 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

#2 If you’re a coal miner, you do realize OB is killing Coal, so much so he is going to lose West Virginia? Anyway: For all the people that talk about all this UK coal money, that money is slowly drying up.

8. notv
    11:16 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Thanks, wikipedia! Now if only KSR college could bring us something besides grammar errors and stories from Captain Obvious… (On that note, I miss BTI).

9. notv
    11:18 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

also, learn the meaning of the word “abyss”.

10. Billy Clyde
    1:03 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

We are never, ever, getting back together. You go talk to your friends

11. DIORIOS PIZZA
    10:51 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

What year did SI do the cover story KENTUCKYS SHAME??
    FREE Matt Jones Man Meat Special Pizza for first correct answer!!
    We will have Grover Sales AKA Fake Cop (busted in 1993 for impersonating a Peace Officer) deliver it to your door!!

12. UKalldaWAY