KSR Went To Huntington To See Andrew Wiggins, Greatness Confirmed

Last night, Matt and I made the exciting, scenic drive from Lexington, Kentucky to Huntington, West Virginia to watch Andrew Wiggins do his thing at a private practice at Huntington Prep. Coach Cal was in attendance, of course, with his assistant coach Kenny Payne, along with about 60 donors, friends and family members from the community.

The practice was pretty basic; the team ran a few drills — including one where they practiced rushing to help up a fallen teammate — and then Coach Fulford let them go at it in a 20-minute scrimmage.

Wiggins was very Andrew Wiggins, the basketball phenom we’ve seen before. He didn’t go too hard, so we didn’t see anyone get posterized, but he did show off his silky, smooth jumpshot from beyond the arc. The majority of the three-pointers he hit didn’t even touch rim, some were so perfect they barely grazed net on their way through.

My failed attempt at recreating the Jorts picture.

Afterwards, Wiggins told us he hasn’t made a decision on whether or not he will reclassify to the 2013 class. His parents are coming down from Canada this weekend to discuss the decision. If he does make the jump to ’13, he’ll need to get it done before November in order to qualify for the McDonald’s All-American game. Nerlens Noel missed out on the event last year by waiting too late to reclassify. Wiggins hopes to avoid that, if reclassifying is the route he chooses.

When we asked him if it’s a two-horse race between Kentucky and Florida State, Wiggins told us his list is still wide open, although those around him believe it’s already down to the Cats and ‘Noles.

Regardless of where he goes and when he goes there, Wiggins made it very clear that he wants to be “the best in the world” one day.

I’d say he’s well on his way.

High school basketball hasn’t seen anything like him since that LeBron James guy a decade ago.

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for KSR Went To Huntington To See Andrew Wiggins, Greatness Confirmed

1. ukmoxie
    11:19 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

I hope we get this Meeks kid. He looks like the real deal.

2. Darrel Finch
    11:20 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

Last Picture…………..I thought Jodie Meeks was with the Lakers?

3. Dave Ball
    11:21 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

Kennedy Meeks…and as for Wiggins…drool…drool…2013?? 2014…doesn’t matter when…just Blue and White

4. NBA league pass
    11:34 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

Can someone explain to me how this “reclassify” into the 2013 class works? Don’t get me wrong, I hope he does it, but I just don’t understand it..skip a year of high school, or what?

5. Nerlens Noel
    11:37 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

4^Dude you complete coursework so that you can graduate early. How hard is that to understand? I did it bro.

6. UK
    11:39 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

4, you are essentially skipping a year of high school. You have to be a certain age (depends on where you birthday falls), meet the required core classes needed to graduate, and have a high enough ACT/SAT to meet college requirements, as any any other high school graduate does. Most take summer classes and ACT prep classes to meet the requirements.

7. mike
    11:42 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

Each class is worth a credit. If you have enough credits to graduate or will have enough after taking some extra summer courses, then you can graduate early. As long as you graduate before the start of the semester, then you’re good. There’s no form where you check a box that says you would like to reclassify. People should probably stop using the term reclassifying and instead just say he will have enough credits to graduate high school early.

8. anthonydavisarmpit
    11:47 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

I read somewhere that the kids actually hold themselves back a year to better prepare their bball skills and to avoid a heavy talented recruiting year (like college players and the NBA draft). For the most part they have completed most coarses, but might lack a few of the senior requirement coarses.

9. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    11:50 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

What if aliens siphon his powers and he becomes horrible?

10. NerlensHair
    11:51 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

In Cal We Trust.

11. Wigging Out
    11:59 am October 5, 2012 Permalink

I don’t see what the big deal is. He’s only perfect at everything and looks like a hybrid Davis, Wall, Meeks morphed into one player. What’s so great about that?

12. sc
    12:02 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

daggum that last pick is jodie meeks

13. Brad
    12:05 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Cal’s got this…nuff said.

14. Matt
    12:07 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

That looks like another former Wildcat that dropped 54 in Knoxville….

15. TheMadCatter
    12:11 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Those Meeks twins might be better than the Harrison twins.

16. AWAT
    12:11 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

After last night, Cal proved he can get whoever from wherever he wants. He’s got Wiggins no matter if he classifies or stays. He’s also got Randle. The only one Cal hasn’t gotten over the last few years is Muhomadd. And you won’t convince me that Cal even wanted him towards the end of the recruitment. He didn’t throw his A game at him, he knew he would be more hurt than good.

17. Linda Taylor
    12:14 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

4 – I read a few weeks ago that Wiggins is taking all the courses he needs this year to put him is a position to be able to reclassify if he so chooses. It is a much heavier workload than the average high school student takes but he apparently is a good student and can handle it.

18. Duke Sucks
    12:16 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Is this the same school Paterson went to.

19. UKMike
    12:27 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

was Leonard Hamilton or anyone from FSU watching Wiggins? any other schools?

20. UK
    12:57 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

18) False, Patterson went to Huntington High, Wiggins goes to Huntington Prep (Huntington Prep is sort of like a Findlay Prep or an Oak Hill)

21. Duke Sukes
    1:04 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

#5 no need to be a smart ass, he asked a simple question. Since you want to bring Noel’s case in to it though. Noel was in the ’12 class and had a injury early in high school so he was held back to allow for it to heal thus the ’13 class. Seeing he healed faster then expected and his rating was so high he went back to the class he was in to begin with. He was in high school for 4 years. Wiggins case is completely different . He is from Canada and they do their schools a little different then the US. He can take a big class load in certian classes and graduate in 3 years or lighter load and graduate in 4.
    With who we will get in this clas I would like to see him wait. We will take him anytime though. Stokes at tenn. had a similar case last year allowing him to enroll during the spring semester. That’s why we didn’t have a scholy for him. Cal didn’t plan on him being ready that early and gave Polson a scholarship .

22. Linda stop telling everyone what they should and shouldn't do
    1:27 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Wiggins would be a great addition to the 2013 class.

23. SW52
    1:35 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Many have already mentioned it, but man, he does look dead on Meeks in that last picture, lol.

24. What
    1:51 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

@16 I think the same thing. It seemed towards the end that Cal just basically quit recruiting him. As much as I wanted him here, I think it would have had a negative impact if he had came here.

25. Jodie Meeks
    2:59 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

That kid looks a lot like me.

26. Behind Enemy Lines
    3:04 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Man, I REALLY hope he reclassifies!! I bet Calipari can pick up both Wiggins AND James Young! (Along with Julius Randle, of course). In that case, Young would come off the bench, maybe stay for a second year. I’m sure Cauley Stein won’t leave after this year, and I’m sure Wiltjer won’t leave after this year, either.

Starting lineup:
    -Andrew Harrison (PG)
    -Aaron Harrison (SG)
    -Andrew Wiggins (SF)
    -Julius Randle (PF)
    -Willie Cauley Stein (C)

Bench:
    -James Young (SF/G)
    -Kyle Wiltjer (PF)
    – ??? (C)<—–I'm sure Cal will land a decent center, maybe not the best center in the class, but a good one
    -Jon Hood (SF) <—–I think he will be a fine reserve
    -Derek Willis (PF) <—–I think he will be a fine reserve, too

And then the walk-ons. THAT'S A DEEP, SCARY TEAM.

27. Scotty Sharp
    3:53 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

26) I think Polson probably goes pro after this season as well.

28. catlogic15
    4:01 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

I noted in the picture with Cal how intent Kenny Payne appears.
    I don’t think BBN fans appreciate enough the great job our assistents do in evaluating,contacting,and corraling, all this superb talent we get. Sure, Cal closes the deal, but the assistents get them into the mix.