KSR Trend Watch: February 22nd

It can be hard to keep up with all the changing trends in Kentucky sports these days. Therefore, in order to keep you informed on the latest happenings in the Big Blue Nation, I chart the trends of the week, from basketball to football to every ridiculous little thing in between. Keep up with what’s hot and what’s not with KSR’s Trend Watch!

Rising faster than Kevin Stallings’ cholesterol count

Tomorrow’s game — Look, every game is a must-win game for the Cats right now, with the possible exception of Florida. But tomorrow’s game is really a must-win. A win over Missouri would give the Cats the marquee win they so desperately need to solidify their postseason hopes. Not only that, ESPN College GameDay will be in town. Fans will have the chance to remind the nation who the premiere program in the country is with a record GameDay crowd and Rupp will surely be rocking. More than ever, the team will need a rowdy crowd to help them pull off the upset. With the late tip, there is plenty of time to do some decent pregaming and get hyped before the game. Be early, be loud, stay til the end.

Kentucky’s guard play — One of the reasons Kentucky looked so much better against Vandy than they did against Tennessee was the return of Ryan Harrow. After two games in which he scored zero points and zero rebounds, Harrow had 12 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal and no turnovers against Vanderbilt. Not only that, he hustled on every single play, a far cry from “Cool Ryan” we’ve seen at times this season. Also helping the cause was Archie Goodwin, who had one of his better games in recent memory. Cal said that at this point, we have to accept that Archie’s going to have one or two “oh my god” dumb moments per game, but as long as he’s doing all the other things to help the team win, it’s fine. We saw on Wednesday how much better Kentucky is with good guard play. They’ll need an even better performance tomorrow night against Missouri’s Phil Pressey and Jabari Brown.

Melancauley-Stein — Cauley-Stein stepped up and scored a career-high 20 points against Vanderbilt, filling the void left by Nerlens Noel much better than he did against Tennessee. His performance on the court was great, but his postgame comments may have been even better. Willie compared the feeling of losing to Tennessee by 30 points to puking and said that he was depressed for two straight days: “I didn’t want to come out of my room. I was happy we had a day off on Sunday, so I could just stay in my room. I put a sheet over my window. It was just dark, and I could just watch Netflix all day and eat when I needed to. You just feel real depressed. I was, like, grumpy.”

Any guesses as to what Willie watched on Netflix? I’m going with “Portlandia.”

UK’s new intro video — Strong guard play wasn’t the only new thing in Rupp Arena on Wednesday night. There was a new intro video that featured the players saying likes like “Tonight is the biggest game on our schedule,” “It’s time to make it personal” and “LET’S FIGHT” to inspire hope after Nerlens Noel’s injury and the Tennessee beatdown. It worked: the Cats fought back and beat Vandy 74-70.

Tod Lanter’s fighting face — Don’t mess with the Lanter or his biceps.

Commonwealth’s renovation plans — The funding bill to renovate Commonwealth Stadium, the Nutter Training Facility and other campus projects was signed by the Governor this week, which means an SEC-worthy stadium will soon be a reality. Limestone facade, please?

“LISTEN TO ME” — See you tomorrow, Digger.

Falling like snow on cedars

UK’s Tournament chances — Kentucky’s chances at making the Tournament were definitely falling after the loss to Tennessee and a win against Vanderbilt didn’t do much to help. Actually, UK’s RPI got worse on Wednesday because Ole Miss lost. Ole Miss was Kentucky’s best victory, and their 5-2 slide in SEC play isn’t only hurting them, it’s hurting us. Kentucky can get things back on track with a win over Missouri tomorrow night.

Themes — In case you haven’t heard, the eRupption Zone is planning an “80’s night” theme for the game tomorrow night. The fact that none of them were even born in the 80’s aside, I just can’t get behind this. Look–theme parties are great, 80’s theme parties especially. I attended many back in my college days and can rock a side ponytail like nobody’s business. But why do we have to do it during a basketball game? Why can’t the eRupption Zone’s theme tomorrow night just be “Come to the game, be really loud and have funny signs”?

Leaving early — My post yesterday about fans leaving early created quite the stir. The fact that I used the term “blue hairs” upset one older lady so much that she went to the radio show today and afterwards, demanded Matt call me so she could chew me out. Which she did. According to this fine elderly fan (see, I’m learning) whose hair is “NOT blue,” she paid quite a bit of money for her SEAT, and if she wants to SIT in it, so be it. That wasn’t really the point of my post, but it has become quite the debate topic this morning. Whether you sit or stand–and I’d prefer if you stood–all I ask is that you stay til the end and cheer loudly if game is still close. The team needs it.

Mizzou fans’ musical skills — What, you thought we would forget about this, especially what you say at the 2-minute mark?

TREND OF THE WEEK: Dodgeball

Who knew it would take a game of dodgeball to potentially save the season? The staff decided to lighten the mood on Tuesday night by having the team play the coaches in a friendly game of dodgeball, which helped the Cats recapture the fun of the game. On Wednesday, it showed. The team looked more relaxed and cohesive, and for the first time maybe all season, they looked like they were having fun out there. We’ll see if tonight’s wiffle ball game has the same effect.

33 Comments for KSR Trend Watch: February 22nd

1. Blue Jesus
    2:09 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

I dont understand why the nickname for WCS isn’t spelled Melancauley instead of Melancholy

2. Biglaw Dawgin'
    2:09 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Really, themes? And an 80’s theme? Does this mean we’re turning into those teams that Cal jokes about getting more fans to come out when he says, “it’s going to be T-shirt night, hotdog night, bobblehead night, etc.” I hope they fans do this right. I.e., rocking a vintage UK shirt, not dressing up like Madonna.

3. Tt
    2:17 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Ryan harrow stinks & will be transferring soon.

4. catlanta31
    2:20 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

MsTT, I hope that old b*tch is reading this. You are such a die hard fan, then GET OFF YOUR SEAT AND CHEER!!! You probably didn’t earn the money for that seat anyway. Either stand up and make noise, give your tickets to a young pup (anyone under 50) or die.

5. Anonymous
    2:25 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Its funny how she got your boss to call you so you could get b*tched out.

6. Drew
    2:31 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Welcome to Rupp Arena and Senior Activities Center. Please note, at tip-off, lower arena is a designated quiet zone for our residents to enjoy nap time. Also, the concession stands for lower arena will serve only Ensure, applesauce and oatmeal during game time. If you wish to cheer during the game, please either refrain from such actions or move to upper arena where you may join the rest of the second-class citizens. Please respect our lower arena residents as they have invested great sums of money for their tickets. Remember in Lexington, it’s all about “being seen” and nothing to do with what actually happens on the court. We hope you enjoy your visit.

7. Dakari Stoops
    2:41 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

I’m glad about the video and what it stands for but did anyone else think it was kind of unenthusiastic and like they were just kinda there….again I hate to say that but thats the way it seemed

8. UK Wildcat
    2:43 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

The video was definitely lame. If the team likes it, great.

Tod Lanter will forever fail to inspire me to fight.

9. Mc
    2:47 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

#7. Good one. It’s like everyone is auditioning for the lead role of Weekend at Bernies 3.

10. Mc
    2:48 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

It’s going to be funny to see a rowdy crowd for Gameday but a quiet crowd for the actual game.

11. Dakari Stoops
    2:50 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

All we need is John Robic’s swag!!!!

12. Dakari Stoops
    2:52 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Watch all the old people come out and party thier asses off…..that would be epic

13. Boyd Crowder
    2:54 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

I can’t stand the blue hairs. Its almost like going to a Vandy game there are so many old people there. They need to stand up and be loud or just watch the game from the nursing home. I could care less how much money they pay for their tickets.

14. Mc
    2:55 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

I hope the “eRupption” zone takes the 80s theme literally and dresses and acts like the rest of the lower level.

15. KMS35
    3:13 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Everyone needs to stay and hear “My Old Kentucky Home” after every game. Some of these people with lower level seats probably don’t even know they do that.

16. IU hate
    3:15 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Thanhks Mizzou fans for a lamer video than the IU video last year. Anyone remember that display of douche baggery?

17. Jack Mcdanielsonhumpherter
    3:25 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

18. Monstermash
    3:27 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

UK needs to take a look at other major colleges around the NCAA and move the students to the lower seats around the court. If they are standing and cheering, it will force the people behind them to also stand and cheer.. just sayin’

19. papasnapp
    3:30 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

14. We’re not real concerned about what you think of us. One of the blessings of aging. Warning to Boyd Crowder’s Granny: Look out Sweetie, you’ll be the first to go!

20. Blue01
    3:33 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Leaving early: Rupp is not an activity center for senior citizens. It is a college basketball game. People should expect to cheer loud and often

21. Mc
    3:33 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

#19) Yeah but they pay a lot of money for those seats. Where will the $ come from? How do other schools survive financially?
    My idea is to have sitting fans on one side of the court, and standing/sitting on the other. This will never happen, but seems like a win for the elderly fans, and a win for everyone else.

22. Red an
    3:35 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

The pep band has been doing the 80’s theme all year. That’s the only reason to rationalize the playing of ‘cold hearted snake’ multiple times every game.

23. Nick Papageorgio
    3:56 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

The Lonely Island are at it again…

24. Juanita Broadrick
    4:04 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

They make Louisville fans look talented

25. Lori M
    4:10 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

If you want to complain about something watch a UK game on television and when the crowd is silent ask yourself: where is our planetary champion cheerleading team and all the students that want to sit close like Duke does? Not up to the “blue hairs” to create the atmosphere. That’s the job of “cheerleaders” and the eRUPPtion zone. If it’s too quiet, blame them.

26. Mc
    4:19 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

*they’re

27. Mc
    4:30 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

#26) Since my comment was deleted. The eRupption zone accounts for less than 3% of the stadium capacity and is under the wrong basket. They should be under the opponents basket in the second half when the game is on the line. And no one gets pumped because of cheerleaders. People get pumped up and excited because they are at an event that they find exciting, and want to create a hostile environment for the opponent. If you’ve played in front of loud fans, you would understand the impact that it can have.

28. Cayuts
    4:44 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

22. Other schools use their football programs or outstanding academics to get money. Kentucky has neither as of right now. All I suggest to UK is a game or two a year in Memorial. Went to the NIT game there against UNLV and it was louder than any stadium I’ve been in.

29. JackB
    4:50 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Blue hairs – don’t care if you sit. Just don’t get on me for standing and cheering.

29 – I too would love a game or two in Memorial. I was at the UNLV game, and it was my favorite home game ever.

I live in Georgia, and the UNLV game was the last home game I was able to attend. I have seen UK play 3 or 4 times a year since Cal got there however. I can get good seats to road and neutral site games, and the UK crowd is often superior to crowds at some Rupp games I’ve attended My last Rupp game was a late season game against UGA with Billy G – awful crowd. I know that was a while ago, but it my last memory of Rupp and hard to shake.

30. Joe
    5:06 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Is it a prerequisite to become a smug know-it-all if you write on this site? Enough with the rupp arena fan police. People are gonna do what they want to do, rupp is what it is and has been long before Tyler climbed way up on her high horse. The cats have played pretty well there over the years. We as fans way over estimate our importance & value on the game. It really doesn’t matter, I didn’t hear all of this garbage last year. To each their own!

31. Saul T. Balls
    5:19 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

Matt, for the love of God and Jesus Christ our savior, please stop letting Mrs. Tyler Thompson post so many blogs in one day. They are insufferable.

32. fireants25
    10:42 pm February 22, 2013 Permalink

the worst song in history.