KSR Trend Watch: April 26

It can be hard to keep up with all the changing trends in Kentucky sports these days. Therefore, in order to keep you informed on the latest happenings in the Big Blue Nation, I chart the trends of the week, from basketball to football to every ridiculous little thing in between. Keep up with what’s hot and what’s not with KSR’s Trend Watch!

Rising faster than Kevin Stallings’ cholesterol count

The Andrew Wiggins Rumor Mill — In the past week, I’ve heard about a million rumors about Andrew Wiggins, the funniest and most outlandish being that Wiggins made Bill Self, Roy Williams, and Leonard Hamilton all participate in a conference call to deliver their final pitches, and things got so awkward that one coach hung up when he heard Andrew laughing on his end. Now, I wasn’t in the room, so I can’t verify that didn’t happen, but come on. This recruitment has turned into the saga of the season, and the day it’s over, whether he picks the Cats or not, will be a relief. (That being said, please pick Kentucky, Andrew.)

The UK/UofL Rivalry — This week, Russ Smith announced he’s coming back for his senior season, which means Louisville will return most of its National Championship squad. While Russ wasn’t as vital to the Cards as Peyton Siva or Gorgui Dieng, who are both gone, his return does mean that Kentucky and Louisville will be the irrefutable #1 and #2 teams in the country going in to next season. With both teams at full force, the rivalry will be better than ever, and December 28th, the nation’s eyes will be on Rupp Arena for what will be a showdown for the ages.

Old man glasses — While speaking to the media earlier this week, Willie Cauley-Stein debuted these glasses:

cauley-glasses

Now, to me, these look like one of the pairs of cheap reading glasses my dad buys at the drug store, but if Willie’s wearing them, I guess they’re cool.

Cal’s swag — With the best recruiting class in history coming in and several players deciding to return, Cal’s got his groove back. And that’s even without Andrew Wiggins. With all the ingredients he needs to make a Championship squad, Cal is no longer the depressed, disheveled shadow of himself we saw at times last season. The tie is back on and he’s ready to roll.

The Ohio Pipeline — Mark Stoops and company are making major strides in Ohio, one of the most football fertile states in the nation. That’s due in large part to Vince Marrow, Stoops’ childhood friend from Youngstown, Ohio, who has lived in four parts of the state and has connections throughout. Marrow’s recruiting prowess is getting some national notice, and several major recruits from the state are rumored to have Kentucky at the top of their list. I didn’t fully realize how big of a player UK was in the state until I listened to part of the Ohio State Spring Game on the radio and heard the commentators discussing why Urban Meyer decided to have it at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati. One of the reasons? Trying to stave off Kentucky’s recruiting surge in the area.

Matthew Mitchell — We have praised the man more than sliced bread on this site, but for very good reason. Mitchell participated in a parody video for the CATSPYs along with Cal and Mark Stoops about a mysterious magic wand. His appearance at the end is more proof that he’s friggin awesome.

La Familia back in town — If the pictures of them around town are any indication, Anthony Davis and Darius Miller are back in Lexington for a little bit. Welcome back, fam.

Falling like snow on cedars

Cancer — Last night, Digger Phelps announced that he has bladder cancer. We’ve given Digger a LOT of grief over the past few years, but wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Good luck Digger, and get well soon. Cancer sucks.

Tattoos — If you haven’t seen it yet (or have conveniently blocked it from your memory), Rick Pitino followed through on his promise to get a tattoo to commemorate UofL’s National Championship. Pictures of the tatt (and Pitino’s old liver-spotted back) made the rounds on Friday morning, and I unfortunately saw them after I had eaten breakfast. Props to Pitino for going through with it, I suppose, but his transformation to Dirty Bird is complete. If there’s any Kentucky blue blood left running through those spider veins, it’s halfway down 64W with a black and mild in one hand and a 40 in the other.

In-home and off campus visits — Wednesday marked the end of the recruiting period, which means that coaches can’t visit recruits in their homes or off campus until September. That’s plenty of time for the mammas of the class of 2014 to perfect their baked goods for Cal and crew.

Safety in Waddy — Who knew Waddy was such a dangerous place? Apparently a humanlike figure that also resembles a dog is terrorizing the town of Waddy, Kentucky. Dubbed “the Waddy Werewolf” by locals, the creature is responsible for mauling goats, sheep and cattle. Waddy isn’t just a place with a nice Flying J gas station anymore; it’s a danger zone.

TREND OF THE WEEK: Mitch Barnhart’s dancing

I could (and have) watch this for hours. Happy Friday, guys.

21 Comments for KSR Trend Watch: April 26

1. shorthop69
    4:04 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Cancer trending down huh?

2. Rei
    4:14 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

meh @ Digger having cancer.

3. Mc
    4:14 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

#1 Lol! Cancer was at an all-time high level of awesomeness months ago. Sadly it has dropped. Can’t wait for momentum to change.

4. Eric K
    4:20 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Fu-k Mr. 15 seconds! GO CATS!

5. Lisa
    4:26 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

this was a great post. I laughed so hard especially at the tatoos and Waddy! Good job Mrs. TT!!

6. Mike
    4:32 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Wouldn’t call myself a big Digger fan because of his anti UK bias, but I certainly do wish him and his family the best of luck with fighting this dreaded disease.

7. George Jone's Ghost
    4:39 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Its Finally Friday Free Again Got My Motor Hummin for a Wild Weekend!!

8. ryan in denver
    4:50 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

1,000 strong for Waddy KY https://www.facebook.com/groups/waddyky/

9. rixter
    5:11 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

OSU had their Spring Game in Cincinnati? Wow. Can you imagine UK having their spring game in Paducah?

10. Holyshiballs
    5:47 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

In the video

That chick back right navy shirt

She needs some beef beef beef bologna

11. NL
    7:15 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Mitch…what the hell was he doing?

12. Linda Taylor
    7:35 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t know OSU had their spring game in Cincinnati. That says more than anything else about UK’s future in football. Who would have ever thought Urban Meyer and mighty OSU would have to alter their plans because of little old UK. #StoopsEffect
    I’ll never get tired of watching that magic wand video. It cracks me up. Same with the Mitch video. It’s good to see he’s not afraid to be goofy when he wants to be.
    I’m beginning to think great big lenses may be becoming an “in” thing. I was watching one of the late night shows last week and one of the performers in the music group that was on that night was wearing glasses with great big lenses though the frames looked to be tortoise shell, not metal.

13. BlueTruth
    7:45 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Digger my boy, that’s what you call karma…

14. Buckeye Fan
    8:01 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. Tyler Thompson. Go back to the kitchen, because you don’t know crap about wht Ohio State had their spring game in Cincinnati. They had it there because The Horseshoe is undergoing renovations. They announced it wouldn’t be in Columbus last year. To say it’s because of Stoops proves you don’t know jack about football. Don’t you think Urban would rather take recruits to a stadium that holds 110,000 people and show off one of the most beautiful campuses and some of the best football facilities in the country than travel 120 miles away to a stadium half the size of the Shoe, where there are no Buckeye facilities?

15. Cat Fan in Georgia
    8:13 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

What 14 said is correct. My family (pretty much all Buckeye fans) is from Central Ohio and the game in Cincinnati was planned long ago, back in the Joker era. No Stoopseffect, at least as far as that game is concerned.

16. Linda Taylor
    9:08 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

14, 15 – Reading comprehension is such a tricky thing. Read the last part of what Tyler wrote “I listened to part of the Ohio State Spring Game on the radio and heard the commentators discussing why Urban Meyer decided to have it at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati. One of the reasons? Trying to stave off Kentucky‚Äôs recruiting surge in the area.”
    You may expect fans of other teams to keep up with every little thing about OSU, but guess what, we don’t give a you know what about your team and don’t follow it. That is why we rely on commentators to do their job. When they don’t know what they are talking about take it up with them. They are the ones covering your team who are supposed to know what is going on. By the way #14, why are you even on a KY web site, getting worried?

17. BlueTruth
    9:21 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, 14. You obviously didn’t read the entire post before you started trying to get the best of Tyler T. And I concur with 16. Urban did say that. OSU fans never really know what they’re talking about. Get your facts straight.

18. BlueTruth
    9:21 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

I mean I concur with 17.

19. Buckeye Fan
    10:22 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Douchebags, find me one article, besides the made up BS on KSR, that shows where Urban Meyer even mentions Kentucky recruiting. The commentators didn’t say it. Urban didn’t say it. Only the made up propaganda on here said it. Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story, right?

20. BlueTruth
    11:39 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Haha You OSU fans crack me up. Always in denial and having nothing to back it up.

21. BlueTruth
    11:40 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Of course YOU didn’t hear it. I guess we have to take you at your word… lol