KSR Show Thread, 9/25: Live from Simon Kenton

Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond are in Independence, Kentucky at Simon Kenton High School to get you ready for Kroger’s KSR Game of the Week and the Cats trip to Auburn on Saturday.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

75 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 9/25: Live from Simon Kenton

1. Realme
    9:59 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Please tell me it’s really Friday.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:03 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Happy Football Eve, everybody!

• Realme
      10:08 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I’m gonna go cry under my desk for a minute (in relief).

10:13 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

So many picking us to beat Auburn ticks me off. I wanted to be under the radar.

That said, don’t leave anything on the field, Cats!!! Hopefully our lines will make it a real slobberknocker, mostly knocking their slobber.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Jesse Jackson’s indictment of UK was uninformed and reckless; especially after Stoops, Calipari, and Mitchell supported their players and called for racial justice. And, after Cal jumpstarted the McLendon Minority Leadership Initiative.
    Jackson is right about one thing, there is little justice in the country, and he is part of it.
    I can’t believe our administration and coaches will let his comments go unchallenged.

• ClutchCargo
      10:10 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Jesse Jackson is uninformed and reckless, so no surprise there. Actually, he is far from uninformed. He knows exactly what he is doing.

• Realme
      10:10 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, even the people on my Twitter who have the strongest things to say about the whole situation think he was a jerk to say that. Imagine punishing those football players that marched in unity because of decisions of the commonwealth attorney (or whatever his title is).

10:10 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

As I said last night, you can’t appease the mob. The mob has 1 agenda, which is tearing down the fabric of America, and they will crush anyone they have to in order to achieve their goal, including a bunch of misinformed college athletes wearing #BLM shirts. They don’t care about them, or you. That includes you, KSR. Let this be a lesson.

Rant over…for now…haha.

• RealCatsFan
      10:14 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I get the feeling that the UK administration is just hoping that most people will ignore it as the rantings of a senile old man.

I completely support racial justice, but things like that totally work against that cause, much the way that violence and destruction of property does. It’s frustrating for me, because I want to live in a just world, and this doesn’t help.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I am appalled at his claim to moral authority after his extramarital affair with a younger woman resulted in an illegitimate birth. Unbelievable.

10:27 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

RG, he may have repented of that. I don’t know. I will tell you though, the best friend I’ve ever had is black (yeah, I went there for all the “If you say that it PROVES you’re a r-a-c-i-s-t!” folks), and he was no left winger (unfortunately I haven’t seen him in a long time).

He had NOTHING but disdain for Jesse Jackson and he was the first one that told me that Jackson purposely got blood on his clothes after MLK was shot so that he could use that story to become the new civil rights leader. I’m not saying he was right about the motivation there, I don’t know. But it’s interesting that he told me that.

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

The last I’ll say on this, but it reminds me of one of my favorite (NSFW) quotes from “Barbershop”: https://youtu.be/UrO6gSJhNXw

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Chris, that is between him and God; but, I can’t respect him. I’ve always said, if a man’s wife can’t trust him, how can I.

10:40 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I don’t disagree with that. You can repent but that doesn’t necessarily change the loss of the influence you once had.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:16 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Matt kind of sounds like he is on speaker phone and the other guys are in the studio.

5. Realme
    10:16 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

“They’re number ten in America, and we just act like we’re gonna beat them”. Yes, Matt, YOU have been acting like that and seeing your fans follow your lead. We have a chance of course, a good chance, but it’s literally KSR that has led the “we’re gonna win” charge.

10:23 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

BTW, personal side note, last night I’m at Walmart after work and listening to Dick Gabriel’s show on my earbuds while picking up a few things. Then he says “Our next guest is Graham Dunn of WTLS”, and I’m like “No way!”. I know Graham and he was on to talk about UK v. Auburn. WTLS is a station in Tallassee, AL, between Montgomery and Auburn. Graham also runs a local sports site called riverregionsports.com that highlights high school as well as local college sports.

6. Realme
    10:18 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I got rid of my adblocker and stuff, because my work computer has been acting like a jerk, and I wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything I personally did. Man, these ads are absurd.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I go without the adblocker on this site just because it makes the comment section more difficult. But then it’s like a constant game of whack-a-mole with the ads.

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Edge is still working like a champ for me, very few ads.

10:58 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Same here RCF. Same with Safari on my iPhone. BTW, that glitch where KSR was only showing the 5 newest articles on iOS has been fixed. I don’t know if it was a Safari thing or what. I suspect the ad blocker had a glitch that they fixed it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

On my phone I use the Adblocker app, and it works like an ad-free charm.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

So yesterday I found out that one of the cops who was shot in the demonstrations used to be my neighbor down the street. I am here to tell you that you will not encounter a finer human being. He was on the news 5 years ago for helping a lady finish the Mini Marathon in Louisville. The lady had lost a tremendous amount of weight and had set walking the MM as a personal goal. She was getting pretty close to finishing, but was fading and afraid she could not make it. Sgt Gregory took her hand and escorted her all the way to the finish line, encouraging her all the way. People lose sight of the fact that there are a lot more people like him on the force than the bad apples. We need to continue to support the great human beings on our police force while also supporting social justice. The two are NOT mutually exclusive.

10:28 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Wow, that is awesome.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Yep, RCF and the police that sprayed bullets in three apartments and killed an unarmed woman were not held accountable by the AG and the prosecution.
      Yes, the majority of police officers are conscientious, and do their best in an underpaid, impossible job. Just more injustice.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

rg, I have mixed feelings on that one. I have never been in a situation where bullets are flying at me and me or one of my fellow officers out of dark room, so I honestly can’t say how I would react. I agree that the number of shots and the fact that an innocent person was the one who was hit opens up a lot of questions. I suspect part of it is training to “neutralize the threat”, and part of it is just their reaction to being shot at to instinctively return fire. I do agree that changes need to be made to prevent things like this from happening again – changes higher in command to perhaps not carry out this type of raid to serve a simple search warrant, better training for the officers doing it, etc. I think the governor makes a good point that more facts from the GJ investigation need to be made public, or there is going to continue to be a lot of questions and suspicion that justice was not served.

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I just think that the manslaughter charge should have been included. Then, a jury would have determined the facts; the police may have been exonerated; and I would accept that.
      I just think that wiser officers would have used a tactical retreat; after all, no one was in danger before they burst through the door, it was just a drug search.

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

rg, the problem I have with that approach is that once the prosecution and defense start playing their games, anything can happen, including convicting someone who was indicted only to pacify the mob demanding “justice.” I suspect that those officers were put in an impossible situation, but we will likely never know what evidence the grand jury was presented.

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Yes, it was an impossible situation; I agree with that. One witness said they announced “POLICE” but 5 others said that they didn’t. Also they were in plainclothes; my opinion is that only uniformed officers should have served that search warrant.
      As for mobs demanding rightful justice, look no further than Louis XVI and Nicholas II.
      But, that’s okay, we can disagree on this one.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Looking back on just how many things were botched, it is understandable that her family is outraged, and that extends to a lot of black people who were already suspicious of the police – fair or not. I feel like this situation has set the police / people relationship back a long way, at least in poor, minority communities.

It’s completely understandable that the cop who was shot would return fire, but like rg mentioned, get the hell out of there and then bring in the SWAT team to deal with it. They sure as hell weren’t going anywhere. It was not a hostage situation. It just feels like the barrage of firepower was retribution for an officer being hit, which is understandable in the heat of the moment, but these guys are supposed to use their training to rise above emotions. The guy who was charged with WE basically unloaded his clip blindly into the apartment. That is the definition of a loose cannon, and that’s not what we need on the force. And it apparently wasn’t his first altercation.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:39 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

They should have had Kentucky Joe sing happy birthday to Johnny Short!

9. ClutchCargo
    10:47 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Somebody please explain to these guys what it means to “aerate.” I really doubt punching millions of holes is what you want to do to an artificial turf field.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Just let their cleats do the job for you. πŸ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Turns out, these fields require a fluffer. lol

10. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Something we can hate about Auburn? Bruce Pearl? Yeah, that’s basketball.

• Realme
      10:53 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

The answer is the Eagle / Tiger confusion. Pick one animal.

• ClutchCargo
      10:54 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

There’s plenty to hate about Bruce Pearl, but the rule is already in place and it won’t be because of Bruce if it prevents Sarr from playing.

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

If we are allowed to pick a bird to go along with a big cat, I’ll go with hawks.

11:02 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know if you all saw it, but the SEC or NCAA said no animal mascots on the field this year, so Auburn can’t do the eagle flying and swooping down to the field. I’m not an Auburn fan, but that is one of the coolest things in college football. Same with Ralphie and Beebo. Stupid rule.

11:04 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and how can I forget UGA?

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

And, UT’s Smokey, the hound dog. And LSU’s tiger, Mike. Yep, the animals are cool.

11:24 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I forgot about Smokey and Mike also.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:53 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t like Auburn’s Stan Pietkiewicz; he killed us every time we played them; yeah, I know y’all don’t remember him.

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Remember him? I can’t even pronounce his name.

11:00 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Is it pronounced Shi-SHEV-ski?

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Pet cav itch…there you go.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:56 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Still can’t believe that Matt and the boys can’t recognize a redbud tree when they see one.

13. Realme
    11:10 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Matt and the state supreme court are so right about those silly slot machines.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:11 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Good Lord, just legalize gambling in Kentucky and be done with it. I’m sick of our state getting the short end of the stick because of politics.

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Agree. The thing is, gambling is already legal in the form of horse racing and the lottery. We love our vices in KY, but only the ones that are controlled by big business and politics.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:29 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Matt is right; have to play UL…or the ncaa will make us in the 2nd game of the tournament. I understand the ACC could play one non con football team; and, Clemson played the Citadel? Snort.

16. Realme
    11:31 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Okay, I downloaded edge and the ad remover extension. Much better. IDK why one of our IT people told me it was already becoming obsolete. Clearly not.

11:56 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

That was the old Edge that was basically a better version of Internet Explorer as I understand it. MS ditched that one and built the new Edge on Chromium, the same engine as Chrome. Don’t ask me to explain what an engine is.

RCF, you work on engines. Explain. lol

• RealCatsFan
      2:39 pm September 25, 2020 Permalink

Well, I know about Hemi’s… πŸ˜‰

17. Laker Cat 18
    11:37 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Our district is doing the same thing with COVID red counties. We’re not allowed to play them.

18. Realme
    11:40 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Chester is so Chester.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:41 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

How has Chester not stroked out by now? Every single call he sounds like his eyeballs are about to pop out of his head.

• ClutchCargo
      11:43 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

But if I’m being honest, I like listening to him like I like Ryan’s pep talks.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know, but I need him to give my daughter’s volleyball team a pep talk before games. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of which, I miss the live remotes because of the Ryan pep talks.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:44 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Why is it when Matt starts talking about an incident at a pool and spa store I start thinking about Baby Ruth bars? πŸ˜‰

21. ClutchCargo
    11:50 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

I gotta run, everybody have a great weekend, starting with beating Aubum tomorrow. Go Cats!/War Hawk! πŸ™‚

22. runningunnin.454
    11:51 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Did Lynn get in the game last night? I was switching back and forth on the NFL and NBA, and I didn’t see him.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:51 am September 25, 2020 Permalink

Another perfect weather weekend during COVID season. I guess I’m glad we get to have a game and a few fans can attend, but being perfect tailgating weather with no tailgating allowed is SO 2020. Same for Derby (both dates), what would have been Thunder, what would have been Bourbon and Beyond and Louder Than Life weekends, etc. It’s like 2020 is just screwing with us.