KSR Show Thread, 7/1: Garrard County and who wants $500?

Kentucky Sports Radio radio is looking to bounce back in a big way after the second hour of yesterday’s show got a little whacky. Matt has drawn up plans to give five of the show’s listeners a shot at $500 from TJ Smith, plus there are things going on in Garrard County that need to be discussed.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

69 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 7/1: Garrard County and who wants $500?

1. ClutchCargo
    10:09 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Nice! Another covert Show Thread.

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Your mission, should you choose to accept it…

11:02 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Went to look at the main site and then lost this, had to google. Are they doing that to mess with us? To see just how far we’ll go to keep the show thread?

2. ClutchCargo
    10:11 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Let’s all cut Matt some slack for his meltdown yesterday. It’s been a tough few months on him. Not everybody else, just him.

10:12 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

*supposed meltdown. I didn’t actually listen yesterday.

10:26 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I don’t remember a meltdown yesterday, but I was having an early nap and missed the first few minutes today. He sounds super bitchy now.

10:28 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Meltdown may be way off. I was just referring to how the show supposedly got off track because of a couple of callers and the resulting discussions.

10:31 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

There was one gibberish guy who I have no idea what he was trying to say. He might have been expressing agreement with Matt about Covid or disagreeing, idk. And one guy kept giving Matt “reasons” based on what he saw on Facebook.

10:34 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Tuning in late again. It sounds like I missed a lot. I have to listen to yesterday’s podcast of the 2nd hour it sounds like. I missed most of that too.

So, they’re “Making TJ Pay Today”?

10:34 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Ugh… I would have let the Facebook guy have it. Haha!

3. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

What a couple of snowflakes…is that a word?

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:18 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Matt wrote a book that highlighted the dividing of politics specifically. Today he is ranting and whining about it. In a nice way, kind of pathetic.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

But, he has an obsequious sycophant to back him up. And Ryan is whipped; I can’t imagine anyone paying any attention to that “Love Lines” thing.

10:26 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Agree. Also, it’s precious how someone can act like they just invented the concept of cheering yourself up by doing good things for others.

10:28 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Again, Facts Are Optional, Opinions Are Matt’s. Also, I tried the first “love lines” and it was like their periscopes except not funny because they weren’t drunk.

10:41 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I can’t believe Ryan, of all people, went to that mall in Nashville and didn’t wear a mask. They were laughing at him for being so afraid of Covid when Kentucky reported their first case at that Walmart in Cynthiana. He’s that paranoid in the very beginning, and he doesn’t wear a mask at this point?

10:52 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Matt pointed that out. Ryan said he just forgot it that time.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:30 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Take it as a good sign that Sarr has moved on campus; he must not be contemplating the NBA. Now all we need is the transfer waiver…and an actual season.
    And now, MJ say the same thing over the air…now I don’t believe in great minds thinking alike.

10:33 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I just want to have a team. And games. But yes, he clearly expects to be here playing.

10:36 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

But that one dude in the comment section claims Sarr hasn’t even completed the transfer paperwork, and that he applied for the waiver himself while still enrolled at WF. smh

10:39 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I am less and less confident about having a season. Minor league baseball was flushed. I was kind of jazzed when Barry McKnight (once again, talk show host & also the Troy play by play dude) said we WILL have football, and he based it on conversations with the Troy AD. I had to shut my office door because I needed a moment (haha…not really, but it was nice to hear).

Then this morning he reads this excerpt from our favorite writer, Pete Thamel:
      “One athletic director summed up the void this way: “There’s no one in a position of leadership taking on the very difficult challenge of developing the plan for spring football. Given that we are entering July, it now seems unavoidable that we are headed to a fall with a lot of canceled games and perhaps even a national stoppage a few weeks into the season.”
      “The ‘great unknown’ that could doom college football season”

Thanks BARRY!!! Now I really may need a moment.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Yep, the school has to file the application for the student-athlete; he/she can’t make the request.

10:44 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

BTW, the way this is unfolding seems eerily similar to the domino effect in the spring. One league cancels league tourney. SEC has 1 night and says we’re talking about the remainder. Then SEC is cancelled. Then NBA suspends season because of Rudy Gobert. Then everything is cancelled.

So, minor league baseball was broomed. What’s next?

10:46 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

rg, that was part of my reply to that comment, but I think it fell on deaf ears.

cg, you probably know this, but the minor league baseball season is complicated by the fact that fans in the stands are crucial with their business model. There are no tv contracts, just ticket and concession sales.

10:47 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Somebody give the other side before we all have to cry. Positive signs?
      …..
      …..
      …..
      Anybody?

10:54 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m going with the plans for the upcoming seasons are still on unless I hear official word otherwise. That’s about the closest thing to positive I’ve got. I’m still expecting football, but I’m afraid to get my hopes up too much.

10:57 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

A part of me almost wishes they would just go ahead and ditch it already. Football and bball both.

You make a good point Clutch. That is one caveat I was holding on to is that minor leagues don’t have TV contracts (I’m sure some may be broadcast locally on cable access or something, but that would hurt ticket sales, so maybe not).

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

This is the only thing I can see that football/basketball have going for them,

11:03 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Chris, bite your tongue! RG that really is the main reason to expect things to still happen.

6. bigbluechesticles
    10:42 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

AHHHH Poor little Matt having a hissy. The show was fine yesterday, just all the callers disagreed with him and he can’t take that. Just pouting cause he thought Booker had it in the bag. He even blocked me on twitter because he can’t take the heat. All of KSR went silent once Amy won. If Tyler blocked comments on the article, didn’t even link it on Twitter. Bunch of babies. Amy has been the Coach Cal and Matt the Rick Pitino in this rivalry, keep giving Matt those L’s.

10:45 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

You sound fun.

10:49 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Hi, Amy!

• runningunnin.454
      10:51 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Whom will Matt support when the big day rolls around? Talk about a rock and a hard place, a pickle, a dilemma, between the hammer and the anvil, and between Scylla and Charybdis.
      I can’t imagine he would sit it out.

10:53 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Haha Clutch.

10:55 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, both of them hammered Matt as far as his media presence. Again, welcome to politics Matt. It’s a collision sport and you thought it was going to be rainbows and unicorns (or “Incense and Peppermints”…shout out to RG and 60s hits).

10:55 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I guess he’ll grudgingly say some Amy things. Maybe Ryan can work up an impression of her insincere baby voice she uses for commercials where she cries about doctored audio from the turtle.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:58 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I don’t disagree with Chesticles. I noticed the article on KSR yesterday announcing McGrath the winner had the comments turned off. If you’re going to project that type of political media influence, why turn off the comments? I guarantee you that if Booker had pulled it out, the comments would be ON.

11:00 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Oh, McGrath is easily the lesser of the two evils for Matt. Unless he has a “Bitch Please” book coming out soon. lol

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Oh oh Clutch, you gonna get a whoopin’ for that one. Hilarious…how did that get by the modbot?

11:05 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Probably didn’t want to have to read through the insanity looking for comments so bad they’d need to be deleted.

11:08 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

rg, I had a completely innocuous comment moderated earlier, so I figure I’m back to even now. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Chris, Incense and Peppermints actually went to No. 1 as the B side of the record. You know you need those items if smoking a “funny cigarette”?

7. ClutchCargo
    11:01 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m okay with turning off comments for political posts that are just informational. If Booker had won, you might be right, but leaving them disabled would still be the right way to do it.

11:39 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I think they would have turned off comments no matter who won. Maybe not, but I still think it’s gutless to (as I said on another thread last night) to beat your sanctimonious chest and shout “I AM *NOT* STICKIN’ TA SPORTS!!!”, then turn off comments.

11:41 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Plus, since this site is totally ad supported, why would more comments be a bad thing? The comment section doesn’t get 300 comments on one post anymore because of the login requirement, and it certainly doesn’t get the junk ads posted (you know, the nickname for the meat product) that it used to.

11:43 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

It’s weird that modbot catches the name of the canned meat product. Just using the word doesn’t mean I’m “Canned meat producting”. ha

11:48 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

You have a point about the chest beating and then turning off the comments. But when I see those posts I mostly just don’t bother reading them now.

8. ClutchCargo
    11:13 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Hill of Beans restaurant and gas station sounds like the kind of place that would have a sign saying “Eat Here and Get Gas.”

9. Laker Cat 18
    11:15 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Campbellsville has a Best Donuts…some of the best donuts I’ve ever had. No pun intended.

11:18 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

When I was a little kid there was a donut place in Somerset that I remember being really good. Even the next day, warming them up in a toaster oven with a little butter on top was heavenly. I don’t eat sweets anymore, and that was a long time ago, so I don’t know if they are still around.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:22 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Amon’s. Still the goat in Somerset.

11:27 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

That’s the one, Laker! I remember it being in a strip mall back in the early 70’s, but I was pretty much a toddler last time I was there.

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Jelly donuts will really put the LBS on you; had a primetime heavyweight bout with them several years ago.

11:30 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

If you win that heavyweight bout, do you fight as a featherweight from then on?

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Hah, haven’t been a featherweight since I was 5.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:41 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Amon’s is still around and going strong. It’s moved a couple of times around town over the years. Somerset has really grown over the past few years.

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:43 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

11:52 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Pretty cool! I never would have called myself a birder even just a few years ago, but here we are.

My hawks are screeching to each other like it’s their full-time job now. About the only way you can tell the babies from the adults is their behavior. The young ones spend a fair amount of time on the ground or on low limbs of trees.

11:54 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

That one picture I took of the baby hawk sitting on the dead tree branch, I saw them both sitting there side by side a couple of days ago. Before I could get setup to take a pic, a deer happened by and they both flew away.

11:58 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I wish I could have seen them growing and stuff. Very cool.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:52 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Need to catch that bear, and test it for covid.

12. Realme
    11:52 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m sorry. What the actual what? A bear on campus, and fish and wildlife doesn’t think people should be warned? What if he eats one of our players?

11:56 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

The bear might have a handful if it’s Marquan.

11:56 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Not only warn people, but why not just relocate that thing? Or maybe they are doing that and I just missed it.

11:58 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

“Wildlife officials say they’re going to let the bear be, unless it becomes threatening. ”
      Well, I guess we just have bears in Lexington now.

11:59 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

So… I should or shouldn’t try to find it? :p

11:59 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

Or a mouthful.

12:00 pm July 1, 2020 Permalink

I just found an article. They say don’t fee the bear. Insert “Do not feed the bear” video from Winnie the Pooh here.

12:01 pm July 1, 2020 Permalink

That just seems like an especially terrible idea. Dangerous wild animals losing their fear of humans usually doesn’t end well for anybody.