KSR Show Thread 6/17: Daviess County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss everything happening in the UK Sports world and beyond and spotlight Daviess County, the latest stop on our Blue Lights Across The Bluegrass KSR County Virtual Tour. If you’re from the area, get your fun facts ready and give us a call.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

73 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/17: Daviess County Spotlight

1. ClutchCargo
    10:06 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Weird that I couldn’t just scroll down from the main page to get to the ST.

10:10 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

And I was excited to find out how to navigate to the comment section with Adblock Plus turned on, only to find out that I can comment but not reply to comments. Oh, well. I would waste more time trying to figure out a workaround than just scrolling past the ads.

10:13 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Did you try clicking expand then view comments CC?

10:13 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

You might try Ghostery also.

10:17 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

It’s not just you, neither could I, first time I’ve seen that.

10:21 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Yes, 4ever. I learned that trick from you in another comment section. It just puts that thick blue line below my comment and I can’t see the comment section at all if I click on reply. I’ve kinda gotten used to the ads by now, so it’s nothing I can’t just deal with.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:08 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I hate all the adds on this KSR website format…just FYI.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:08 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

*ads

10:12 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

It’s mainly the ones that autoplay and you have to close twice to get rid of them that annoy me. Sometimes there will be one that you can’t close unless you just refresh the page. The Adblock Plus browser app on my phone handles all of that stuff nicely for this site.

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

The new Microsoft Edge still seems to be working like a charm for me. (fingers crossed).

• Laker Cat 18
      10:20 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I don’t mind the video ads as much. I just hate scrolling and trying to find the comments section. I just click the comment icon at the top of the articles normally. I installed ad blocker plus on chrome and it took away the entire comments section completely.

• Realme
      10:23 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

The quantity of the ads has been absurd for a long time. I have to just let them harass me nowadays though, because there’s no way to stop it on this stupid Fire tablet.

3. 4everUKBlue
    10:15 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

BTW, Yellowstone season 3 does not start tonight, it starts the 21st, just an FYI.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:26 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

What carries that show? Netflix, Hulu?

10:33 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I think Amazon Prime Video has it. Season 3 is on Paramount Network.

10:39 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Paramount is running the earlier seasons this week.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:41 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never even heard of the Paramount Network, how much is that a month? I have Amazon Prime..

• Laker Cat 18
      10:42 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I bought Apple TV+ for a month awhile back just to binge Truth Be Told. It was really good as well.

10:49 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Paramount is free with cable, I know Spectrum has it, who is your provider?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:51 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have a provider. I cut the cord a long time ago. We have Netflix, the cheap Hulu, and Amazon Prime right now.

10:55 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Yep I cut the cord about 5 yrs ago, if you know how to download torrents on you can get seasons 1 and 2 free on thepiratebay.org using utorrent. That’s how I downloaded it.

10:56 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I’ve been taking care of my parents for the last year and watch it on their cable when I’m down here, but I refuse to pay for cable or satellite.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:02 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I also have a firestick….it may or may not be jailbroken. I’m sure I can find it on there if i’m willing to wait out the loading times.

11:05 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Funny, I have an old apple tv that may or may not be jailbroken as well…Utorrent is easy to use takes up very little space on a computer, just make sure when the download is finished you remove if from the downloads and don’t share it.

11:15 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Laker, the Yellowstone series is also on Amazon Prime. Paramount is in my YouTube TV lineup, and it carried the excellent “Waco” miniseries a few years ago.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:16 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Is the Waco you’re talking about the same one that just made it to the Netflix line-up about a month ago? That’s on my list to watch.

11:28 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

The Waco I’m referring to has Michael Shannon as one of the main characters, which makes it automatically really good. The girl who plays Ruth on Ozark is one of David Koresh’s wives. The way she can convincingly play the exact opposite type of character than Ruth shows how awesome an actress she is.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:57 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Okay, I think it is the same one then. I may start that soon now that I’m at a breaking point in between shows.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:18 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

It’s good to have some time during the 10-12 time slot finally this week. I took the wife to the ER Sunday night with stomach pain at 9 pm. I got her back home at 1 pm Monday, minus her gallbladder. I got maybe 2 hours of sleep starting at 6 am after sitting around in ER and waiting rooms while watching way too many episodes of Lone Star Law on Animal Planet. Yesterday was a lot of catching up on work and running errands.

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Hope she bounces back to good health quickly. Mrs RCF had hers out about ten years ago. She thought she was having an abdominal aneurism, the pain was so bad. It’s surprising how many people have had their gallbladders removed, and it seems to affect women a lot more than men.

10:25 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I think the anesthesia was hard on her, more than anything. She’s had a bad headache that hasn’t gone away since she got home on Monday. That and some pretty rough nausea that seems to be getting better. She’s really tough though, and has been through much worse than this.

10:25 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Wishing her a speedy recovery, had mine taken out several years ago after weeks of suffering.

• Realme
      10:26 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Seems like this stuff always starts in the middle of the night. Glad she’s alright though, the worst is over.

10:28 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

This time it started at 3 pm on Sunday, but just didn’t go away. I was putting the riding mower away in the shed just before 9 when she told me it was time to go to the ER.

• Realme
      10:41 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Okay maybe the rule is evenings and weekends. 🙂

10:49 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Well, we did find out just after midnight that she was going to need surgery as soon as the surgeon could get there and get setup.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Yay, my boat is fixed! I won’t have to sleep in the garage. Turned out to be a fairly simple fix too, although I still have plenty of bruises and battle scars to show for it. 😉

• Realme
      10:24 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Go working boats and go Dale Hollow Lake!

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m strutting around flexing my mechanic’s muscles today. 😉

10:29 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I missed that ST about Dale Hollow, I was raised on Dale Hollow back when there were on big speedboats or ski boats, just a lot of fishing boats. We always went to Sulphur Creek Marina, the Buckeyes and Hoosiers have pretty much taken over but it’s the prettiest lake around IMO.

10:30 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Yep, we have been renting cabins at Sulphur Creek for many years. Lots of great memories. It has been at least 5 years since we have been down there. Life (and kids sports) got in the way. With my older daughter starting college, and her cousin already a freshman, this might be the last chance to get the whole family together.

10:34 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Nice work, RCF! I had a somewhat similar deadline-induced panic when our fridge went out, and the new one was coming soon. I thought I was going to have to remove the French doors on the fridge to get it through any doorway and avoid having two of them sitting in the kitchen. The guy at Lowes my wife talked to on the phone indicated that the delivery guys would be minimizing contact and it didn’t sound like they were going to be much help beyond just moving the old one to the garage. It all worked out, though.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

At Lake Cumberland, we call all the buckeyes who descend on it every summer the “Ohio Navy”. 🙂

10:36 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Apparently they don’t teach the meaning of “NO WAKE” in Indiana or Ohio.

10:38 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

No, they don’t. But I think the worst lake behavior I have seen is at Lake Ozark in Missouri. Not sure where all those yahoos come from, but it’s the wild west on the water there.

• Realme
      10:40 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Plus you have to watch out for the KC mob and the Cartel at Lake Ozark. :p

10:42 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

You also don’t want to have a run in with Ruth on Ozark Lake.

• Realme
      10:44 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

DO NOT mess with Ruth.

10:45 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Haha! It’s funny, we actually found out about the show “Ozark” from one of my wife’s cousins when we were there for a family reunion a couple of years ago. So all the scenery they show, we recognized a lot of it when we did start watching.

10:45 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

RCF, did you ever know Barney Barnes, the owner of Sulphur Creek Marina? He was county judge down there for a while and quite a character, he and my father were good friends.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, LOTO has a reputation all it’s own. First of all, the shoreline reflects all the waves back to the middle, so it is even more of a washing machine than Cumberland on a busy weekend. And they have waterside bars dotting the lake, and the resulting drunken idiots with the disposable income to buy huge, overpowered boats that they can’t drive worth crap when they are sober. Exhibit A:

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

4ever, no, I have not had the pleasure of meeting him.

10:58 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

He passed away several years ago. When I was a kid my father would take me fishing there and there was only a small bait shack you had to walk across a plank to get to. It was really peaceful back then, spent many a night fishing all night for Crappie.

11:12 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

All-night fishing is the best! Spent many summer nights on a boat on Lake Cumberland as a kid.

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Are they boats or airplanes?

• RealCatsFan
      11:45 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I have a lot of great memories from 20 years ago being on Lake Cumberland at night with a full moon out. You can actually cruise the lake at night when it is like that because you can actually see what is in front of you (max of about 25 mph though). I used to love tying up in a cove and going to sleep to the sound of katydids and crickets and waking up to the birds singing. Oddly enough, at some point during the night all the bugs shut down and it is dead silent. Have gotten up for nature calls many times to be surprised at the sheer quiet. Have had a few times where you get to hear something really cool like an owl or a whippoorwill. Head a bobcat screaming just off the shore one night – that will definitely make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end!

6. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Hey, ST was “hidden”…odd.
    Have to go for yearly check-up shortly. If they ask me all the questions about Covid-19 like the dentist’s office did, I’m going to say, no don’t have it, not exposed to it, but, I have Yersinia pestis.
    That one killed 50-100 million people, and survival rate was 50%.

• Realme
      10:42 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Might be like saying the word bomb at the airport, be careful, ha ha.

7. Realme
    10:28 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

We have a date for football!!! Do we trust it?

• Realme
      10:30 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Also, that ESPN programming thing is the dumbest “I know a thing but am not telling you all” he’s ever done.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

No, don’t trust it. Can’t trust anything; we have entered the Twilight Zone.

8. ClutchCargo
    10:39 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m not really a fan of any Owensboro bbq joint. Old Hickory is okay if you tell them to hold the sauce.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Moonlight was better in the old days, before the original owners sold it.

10:54 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I actually don’t hate Moonlite, if they just didn’t call it a bbq restaurant. The actual meat (which is what I care about at a bbq joint) is average at best, but it’s a pretty solid buffet that accommodates busloads of people nicely.

9. Laker Cat 18
    11:23 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Listening to a McGrath ad on KSR seems like a little conflict of interest….wait.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Have you heard any ads for The Turtle?

11:33 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

As long as they will run ads by other candidates who are willing to pay for the ads, it’s all good.

10. Laker Cat 18
    11:32 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Can we talk about the Ron Pearlman and Ted Cruz feud on Twitter? It’s so hard for me to picture Pearlman from Sons of Anarchy being a keyboard warrior.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Is Grayson Allen taking up for his dad on Twitter?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:46 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

I wish, that would be so funny.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:54 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

C’mon, Ryan. The media will not call out a NBA player who chooses to not play. That’s exactly the type of drama the ESPN lives for, and they’re counting on it.

12. Laker Cat 18
    11:56 am June 17, 2020 Permalink

Some of NBA players have the same exact mindset as the NFL players who “hold out.” They all end up losing a step in their game seems like when it’s all said and done. Just play!