KSR Show Thread 12/17: Christmas Movie Bracket

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Ryan, Drew, and Shannon are joined by Lee Cruse and Hayley Harmon to break down yet another bracket, this one to determine the best Christmas movie. Get your picks ready and please direct all complaints to @DrewFranklinKSR.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

94 Comments for KSR Show Thread 12/17: Christmas Movie Bracket

1. Realme
    9:59 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

bASketBaLl:

• StillBP
      10:09 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think we have to do this anymore. I saw another thread where there were more than 5 comments and it didn’t go to another page, so I tested yesterday’s show thread and there are more than 5 main comments on the page.

• Realme
      10:11 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Yay, thanks! Maybe Jdub will be fixed too.

10:15 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I noticed that this morning on my iPad BP, but I didn’t assume that was universal across browsers and devices. You never know with this new site, and sometimes with the old site.

10:16 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I still wouldn’t trust it. We know this way works.

10:17 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Who up for the game & KSR post game tomorrow night?
      *raises hand because he is going to make a pot of coffee or open a Mountain Dew since he doesn’t have to work for 2 weeks starting Thursday, and because at least he lives in CST*

• StillBP
      10:19 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Well I used different browsers on my work computer, my Andriod phone, and apparently it’s fine on chris’ iPad so I think it’s safe.

• StillBP
      10:19 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Unfortunately I’m not up for the game tomorrow. I’ll have to wake up Thurs and check the score first thing.

• Realme
      10:23 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I’ll probably start it and then it will be a close one and I’ll end up watching it all, but no thanks on the post game show.

10:24 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

If it wasn’t a weeknight when I have to work the next day, that’d be great. I guess I’ll still watch it just because I’m usually up until 12:30 or so anyway. Not happy about it, though. My son is a big fan, but there’s no chance he’s going to be allowed to stay up that late.

10:26 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I’m not a basketball post-game guy anyway, so no thanks on that part.

• StillBP
      10:29 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I get up at 4:45 for work. No way I’m even going to try it. I just don’t want to be miserable Thurs. And if by some chance we lose and I stayed up for it….oh hell naw

10:32 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

That’s the part I don’t like about it, BP. It’s like a big FU to all the fans in the Eastern time zone who would like to watch, but can’t. At least nobody cares about the regular West Coast games that come on that late all the time.

10:33 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Mrs. TT, can you grant me a pardon or commute the sentence handed down by the unjust mod bot?

10:34 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I’ll be watching the game…I’m retired, ha ha ha ha, sorry.

• StillBP
      10:44 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

rg living the dream!

11:24 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

That must be nice. Enjoy your retirement and your honey-do list!

2. Realme
    10:00 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

FoOTbAlL:

10:12 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Only Ohio State and LSU have more AP First Team All Americans than UK…hooo aaah.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:09 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

So there must have been several strong ass offers…

• 4everUKBlue
      11:17 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Oops, just notice you were talking football…my bad.

11:21 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Still true regardless, probably.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:35 pm December 17, 2019 Permalink

Sadly I believe your are right Clutch.

3. Realme
    10:01 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

mOvIE bRACkeT (just kidding, who wants to talk about that) MisCElLAnEOUs:

10:03 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, everyone already knows it’s “A Christmas Story”! 😉

10:06 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Actually, this has been settled by everyone from Reader’s Digest to Esquire Magazine, from Rottentomatoes to Amazon…”It’s A Wonderful Life”.
      Although a flop in the theaters in ’47, it became so popular that one network, NBC, sought and won exclusive rights to broadcast it. Many years, they only broadcast it once, on Thanksgiving Day.

10:07 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

So Lee & Hayley only come in when there’s a food or pop culture bracket challenge?

BTW, I think Christmas movies have 2 separate brackets: one for classics & one for more modern. Granted, I know A Christmas Vacation and some others have been around a long time now, but pitting a lot of the more modern movies and their irreverent humor up against the old B & W classics is like, well, pitting Taco Bell against Cracker Barrel. They’re, well, apples & oranges…kinda.

10:08 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

SHOULD have 2 separate brackets…

• Realme
      10:09 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

My favorite is probably elf. Wonder if they’ll have the cliche argument about whether or not Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

10:10 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

True, Chris; however, one of the other choices “Christmas Vacation” actually has a screen shot of “It’s A Wonderful Life” on the TV screen…shouldn’t that settle it?

10:14 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Elf is funny. “Santa! I know him! I know him!” Or however he said it.

10:20 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t get why there are any kind of pop culture brackets when we’re right smack in the middle of basketball and football.

• Realme
      10:22 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. At least they’re blasting through this one fast.

10:23 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

RG, I remember when It’s a Wonderful Life would be on like 30 channels 10 times a day. Interestingly, it seems like one channel would have a restored version that was clearer and another would have a much more grainy version.

It is a great movie, no doubt, and I won’t argue with anyone about it being #1. I know that goes against the grain of the KSR guys wanting to stir up arguments to keep the show interesting, but it is a true classic, absolutely.

Confession time: I have never seen White Christmas. Nor have a I seen some of the movies listed that seem to be B movies. I’m not sure if I’ve even seen Ernest Saves Christmas, which is a shame because Jim Varney was a big Wildcat fan. He said “Go Cats” on Leno or Carson.

10:32 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

That’s true Chris, it was on practically 24-7 before NBC obtained exclusive rights. “Every time a bell rings…..” Everyone in the country can finish that line.

11:36 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Here is why “A Christmas Story” is #1 for me. It has the humor AND the heart. No, it certainly doesn’t pull the heart strings that “It’s a Wonderful Life” and some other movies do, and it isn’t as slapstick as “A Christmas Vacation” and cousin Eddie’s “I had to have it replaced because every time Catherine revved up the microwave, I’d ____ my pants and forget who I was for a half-hour or so. Over at the V.A. they replaced it with a plastic one and it ain’t as strong, so I don’t know if I ought to go down no hill with nothing between the ground and my brain but a piece of government plastic.” (absolutely HILARIOUS), but it’s still #1 IMO.

Change my mind.

• Willis Wolf Tattoo
      1:10 pm December 17, 2019 Permalink

Just Friends should have been included on this list.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:15 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Round Ball:

10:15 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Comment fail. Note to self: refresh the page one more time before starting a new topic.

5. RackEmWillie
    10:15 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

The “DiE hArD iS mY fAvOrItE cHrIsTmAs MoViE” people, make me hate Christmas movies. We get it, you think you’re funnier than you really are. Such a wacky opinion you and everyone else seem to have found.

10:19 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

^^^This^^^

All the jokers that argue that act like it’s the funniest thing ever and it’s not. It doesn’t make me hate Christmas movies. I just mostly ignore it.

• RackEmWillie
      10:23 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Well, I let myself fill with rage more than you do, probably.

10:27 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Let them claim it’s a Christmas movie…murder and mayhem can’t win anyway; Yippee Ki Yay…dude.

10:30 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

That’s like saying “Dukes of Hazzard” was Shakespeare because Sorrell Booke was a Shakespearean trained actor. Haha (he really was BTW).

11:06 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Booke was also a counterintelligence officer during the Korean War.

11:24 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I did not know that RG!

6. StillBP
    10:17 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Ok I’m doing it…posting comment 6. Don’t hate me if it messes it up, but I really think it’s fixed…3…2…1….

• StillBP
      10:22 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

ah we survived. What a rush 😉 haha

• Realme
      10:22 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Looks good for me.

10:27 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:28 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

One plus with the new site is I can post links without going with my alter ego.

10:28 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Damn, that felt like the ball drop on New Year’s Eve 1999 all over again. 🙂

• StillBP
      10:30 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

haha Clutch, looks like the site is not Y2020K compliant

• StillBP
      10:31 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

*now 2020k compliant

7. Realme
    10:33 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I feel so free!!!!!!!!! How much of Andy is deluded into thinking Hayley loves him now?

8. J-Dub421
    10:41 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I still can’t reply to comments. A Christmas Story is my favorite Christmas movie. Also Die Hard is not a Christmas movie, just because it’s set at Christmas. I agree with whoever posted this on Twitter about Die Hard: “He’s running around at night, trying to evade Alan Rickman. It’s a Harry Potter movie.”

10:50 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha. Not my favorite; but, I liked “Christmas with the Kranks”. Guess I just like Allen, Curtis, Aykroyd, and Cheech.

9. TheNewOriginal
    10:43 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

How can “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” be considered a Christmas movie? They are travelling home for Thanksgiving.

10. J-Dub421
    10:54 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

RG, re: LSU and OSU being the only teams to have more first team All Americans, makes you wonder what we could have done this season if TW had stayed healthy.

10:59 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

One of our AA’s was our punter, so… lol

I wonder if Duffy would have gotten all that recognition if TW had played and been effective. Same with Bowden, really.

11:01 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I do think about that; but, then we would have missed the Bowden show. I think we would have won a couple more games, though, without the chaos.

11:03 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Yep. Better overall team success, but less eye popping stats. Being in the spotlight this season probably made Lynn Bowden a future very rich man. He is a good receiver, no doubt, but not 1st Team AA good, at least as far as stats.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:10 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Were all the Die Hard movies set at Christmastime? I’m pretty sure No.1 and 2 were. The others, maybe not.

12. 4everUKBlue
    11:18 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

This new site really sucks, and that’s all I have to say about that…Merry Christmas everyone.

11:22 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Thanks, Forrest; now that was a good movie.

11:22 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

At this point in time, it is more like the old site than at any time since the “upgrade.” I would call that progress.

• Realme
      11:22 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Yes, it’s ridiculous. Merry Christmas to you also.

• Realme
      11:38 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Agree Clutch, it is much more like the previous iteration than it has been, but it was terrible previously too. I am willing to deal with ads. Why 700 at a time though?

• 4everUKBlue
      11:59 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

They have made some progress but the pics are still way too big and it freezes on me from time to time. I have figured out how to get rid of the ads but I’m using a laptop. Where’s the danged like button?

13. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I’m on my phone, so I can’t reply either, but Chistmas Story will always be my favorite. maybe it’s bebecause I have morphed into The Old Man now that I have kids of my own.

11:25 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Haha, same here. I was once the kid with the bb gun (literally almost shot my eye out one time), and I can definitely relate to the dad now.

11:30 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Did you know Christmas Story came about only due to the movie, “Porkys”? Director Bob Clark wanted to make the Christmas movie; but, the studio said no.
      After Clark had the hit with Porkys, they wanted Porkys II, and he said he would only make the sequel if they would take A Christmas Story.

14. J-Dub421
    11:23 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

The Bowden show was fun this season. I still think we would have won a couple more games with Terry at QB though. Guys like Max Duffy and Austin MacGinnis make one realize the importance of good kickers and punters. They also make me question some coaches *coughSabancough* who refuse to “waste” scholarships on kickers/punters.

11:27 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Especially when Austin was kicking right up the road from me in Prattville, AL. I remember wondering how in the world we got him from Bama and Auburn, but I had forgotten that a lot of coaches only use walk-ons. I think he also was not a native Alabamian but had only lived here a few years (I think his dad may be Air Force), so he may not have even been a Bama or Auburn fans.

11:27 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Saban is clearly one of the all-time greats, but the day of the game passing him by is approaching, just like it does everybody else.

11:42 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Opposing coaches are definitely whispering about his age to recruits.

Interestingly, I was listening to Finebaum after they lost to Auburn, and Marcus Spears was pondering whether Saban would try to return to what Spears called Saban’s “Murder ball” style. It’s an interesting thought. He changed with the times by bringing in OC’s like Kiffin & Sark, and it worked, but maybe for a last hurrah or 2 he needs to go back to smash mouth. After all, Clemson’s physical defense just destroyed Bama’s offense last year.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:24 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

So today I stayed home so the glass guys could install new windows in daughter’s wrecked car. We got to talking about KSR because one of the dudes saw all my UK stuff in the garage. turns out he grew up with Shannon, even hit a home run off of him in high school.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Would Katina Powell call herself the Wet Bandit if she turned to a life of burglary?

• StillBP
      11:32 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

ew!!!

• Realme
      11:34 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

She probably has done a burglary.

11:45 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I had a reply all ready to go about the cops probably cracking the case by following her slug-like trail of slime, but I decided that was just too much and I deleted it.

11:47 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Thanks, Clutch.

• Realme
      11:53 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

It’s a shame I can’t puke quietly because my poor co-workers have no idea. BLEAAACHHUGGHHHHHHH.

17. Realme
    11:37 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

My neighbor across the street didn’t light up the whole neighborhood with his lights this year, and I haven’t had anything get me in the spirit. This actually has. Ready to watch one of these movies tonight.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I agree with Lee, Donna Reed was gorgeous. Underappreciated beauty. Reminds me of Mrs RCF when I met her. (Yes, I seriously outkicked my coverage )

11:44 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

She was beautiful, absolutely.

19. runningunnin.454
    11:48 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

They should have a favorite Christmas song bracket. Mine is O Holy Night; but, it’s tough to sing.

• Realme
      11:54 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

Same. Sang it once as a young teenager at church with 2 other girls. Must have been a terrible screechfest. Thank God no one was videoing everything back then.

20. J-Dub421
    11:58 am December 17, 2019 Permalink

I love O’ Holy Night, my favorite as well RG. (Though I’m a diva soprano, so…)

12:03 pm December 17, 2019 Permalink

Cool, you can sing it then. I wouldn’t screech like RM but I probably..croak like a frog.

21. 4everUKBlue
    12:04 pm December 17, 2019 Permalink

Did you guys see their version of the “Come see about it t-shirt? I many be biased but I like mine better.

12:34 pm December 17, 2019 Permalink

I like your version better because you have been keeping the saying going on here for awhile now. Not sure how I feel about the retail version of a shirt based on something said by an amateur student athlete who can’t benefit financially while KSR does. I’m not one of the “college athletes should be paid” crowd, but this is exactly the sort of thing where they should be able to get a cut.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:33 pm December 17, 2019 Permalink

Thanks Clutch and I totally agree with you 100%.