KSR Show Thread, 10/5: Ole Miss thoughts and observations

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

You know what they’re talking about today. Tune in to hear Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond (and maybe Shannon The Dude if he’s not on vacation) recap the frustrations from Saturday’s home loss to Ole Miss. They’ll want to hear from you.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

66 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 10/5: Ole Miss thoughts and observations

1. Realme
    10:11 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

I see we’re all excited to be here today.

10:13 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Welcome back to the fellowship of the miserable.

10:31 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

On the bright side this morning, I’m having baklava with my coffee!

• ClutchCargo
      11:17 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Feeling like one of the zombies from the new episode of TWD that finally came out last night.

2. Realme
    10:12 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

I will give them one more game and then just assume we will always find a way to lose.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Yeah; but, we always lose the same way. Coach Stoops philosophy in the 2nd half with a two score lead is to go conservative, try to kill the clock, and hang on. Consequently we don’t move the chains, it’s three and out, the defense is out there too long, and the opponent runs off 2-3 td’s in a row. Then we move the ball, because we’re behind, and we get the td. Any of this sound familiar?

10:19 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely RG. And we already knew the kind of OC Kiffin is and what they did against UF.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:22 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

RG — I agree completely. So conservative. We are at our best when we are in 2 minute no huddle offense.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

And, a lot of the 2nd half conservative plays was Terry running the ball; I don’t think his running that much is a good idea. What were they trying to do, make him a Heisman candidate? What was that, good way to get him hurt?

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:18 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Please stop calling him Bossman Fat. Call him Kelvin until he makes a play, then call him that silly nickname all you want.

• Realme
      10:24 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Do you prefer Bossman Flat or Bossman Fart?

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

PeonBoy Slim

10:31 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Clerk level Kelvin.

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Bagboy Kelvin. 😀

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Garbageman Fat.

11:25 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

That was the perfect song for Shannon to play about Kelvin, especially since Kelvin got his nickname from some rapper. lol

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:20 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Analysis from the game:

— Offense looked much better executing. The Bench Terry folks need to take a seat themselves.

— I’ll say this again for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. AJ Rose is the 3rd best Running Back on the team. Smoke is the man. Feed the man. I called the fumble before it happened following his “Peace Sign” going into the end zone. I’m glad he fumbled after that ignorance. He deserved every bit of it.

— Kelvin Joseph — My man. Again, just shut up and play. I’m on the boat to put my guy Vito in.

— Quit whining on the kicking game. We should have never allowed 42 points to begin with so the XP shouldn’t have been in the equation. I’ve got 20 other plays/players I could blame besides the kicker. Let the kid miss a kick every now and then. He’s human. You know what he doesn’t do? Talk $#!+ BEFORE he kicks the ball.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

It’s pretty obvious that the press clippings and hype have gone to the heads of many members of the UK football team, and that includes the coaching staff. STFU and coach your kids, Stoops.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but I called the missed PAT, too…he had missed the FG, and bounced one of the earlier PAT’s through off the goal post.
      So here’s my philosophy going forward; we score a td, I’m going for two. If we have 4th and goal from the 8 yd line, I’m not going for the “gimmee” fg…I’m going for the td. No more kicking at all. But that’s me.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:28 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

I was impressed by the WR Akeem Hayes. He made a couple of plays and you could see the excitement and effort in his play.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:33 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

He made 5 out of 5 XP’s prior to missing the last one. He probably kicks 100% at practice as well if I were guessing. Odds are to kick it.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

I think both of our kickers are physically capable of hitting those kicks, but it’s a head thing – 90% mental. My kid is going through a serving slump in volleyball, and I keep telling her the same thing. Mechanics are fine, but she overthinks it and convinces herself that she is going to fail. You cannot have a shadow of doubt that you won’t make the play. I am very big on positive visualization when you have to hit a serve, shoot a FT, etc. Picture yourself making the perfect play, and it often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Maybe, but his confidence is destroyed now; especially after that punk comment by Kiffin. I hope the Ole MIss administration is proud of that. And, I’m glad the Ole Miss players got a KICK out of it…but how would they feel if the shoe was on the other FOOT. Oh well, Kiffin is going to take some big time lumps this season.
      I can’t imagine Coach Stoops making a comment like that about an opposing player.

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Does Kiffin own a Harley and hang around the volleyball complex? Sure hope so! 😉

10:46 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

LakerCat, if our kicking game improves, maybe our kicker will start showboating after a made FG like the Grammatica brothers. Haha.

10:56 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

And LC, I agree about Smoke, but he unfortunately got hurt. The Rose thing was the worst. I missed the first half but was listening on my phone, and Jeff Pocoro lost his mind after AJ got tackled while dogging it. I agree with Jeff, AJ should have been benched, and I don’t care about someone saying “Okay Boomer”. That was garbage. To his credit, he did apologize on Twitter and said he learned from it.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:05 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

I’m alright with Rose’s apology and hopefully he did learn from it. But my thing is that I believe the staff has preached him up following Benny and Bowden…He is NOT that guy. They need to quit treating him like he is. C-Rod is also better than Rose. He is probably most like Benny with his running style.

I remember Gramatica celebrated a FG when he was with the Cardinals and tore his ACL during the celebration.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

What a lousy, lousy way to spend my birthday, watching that crap. Glad I didn’t fork out money to see it in person. I don’t think social distancing will be an issue going forward for UK Football games.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Right now I am wondering how many crossing routes MSU will connect on. Seems like we had no answer for them Saturday.

7. Realme
    10:27 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Terry’s running looked fully confident and effective. Which is good because that is what we are. But don’t tell me you want to trade out a bunch more run plays for passes.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Not going to join the TW pile-on crew, but he did miss a wide open receiver in the middle of the endzone on that play where he was called for intentional grounding. I think he certainly needs to improve his field vision and checkdowns.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

He played a good game; but, I don’t know how he missed that guy…he was socially distanced.

10:45 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I saw that on the instant replay and thought “ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!”

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Improving field vision, especially at this point in his college career, isn’t going to happen. He either has it or he doesn’t, and he clearly doesn’t. But he still played well enough for the team to win if the defense shows up and we don’t shoot ourselves in the foot repeatedly in other areas.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

“Dreams” gets way too much airplay, but that album, “Rumours”, was a great one, and like “Hotel California”, and example of a band putting out their best work at a time of unbelievable internal strife amongst the band members. But Fleetwood Mac topped them all when it came to internal strife.

And Matt, “Silver Springs” was not on “Rumours”, but Stevie Nicks was pissed that it didn’t make the cut.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

There was a lot of friction and strife when the Beatles recorded the “Let It Be” album too, total chaos; but, it’s still my favorite album, even though I appreciated the Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road albums.

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

My older brother was a huge Beatles fan, and when he passed in 2003 they played “Let it Be” at his funeral. Seventeen years later, I still can’t hear that song without getting a little choked up.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

BTW, yesterday I watched a 1978 movie I didn’t know existed, “Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”. The Beatles weren’t in it, but 29 of their songs were. The band was the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton, George Burns was the narrator. There were a lot of well know groups in it.
      George Burns sang Fixing a Hole, E W & Fire sang Got to Get You Into My Life, Alice Cooper sang Because, Steve Martin sang Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, Billy Preston sang Get Back, and Aerosmith sang Come Together.
      What a hoot!

11:24 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

RG, trivia time. That movie, in addition to disco going out, lead to the downward turn of The Bee Gees. I didn’t realize that, but according to “Behind the Music” or one of those shows, they were considered a copy of The Beatles early on. They broke out of that, but then the movie supposedly reminded people “Oh yeah, they’re a copy of The Beatles” according to the show I was watching. I didn’t realize that at the time, but I remember when the movie came out. I never saw it, but I do still hear Aerosmith’s cover of “Come Together” occasionally on the radio.

BTW, Billy Preston was the bomb, orange suit and all:

• runningunnin.454
      11:30 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Chris, I have to disagree about the BG’s earlier songs; they were ballads, and not much like the Beatles. And, yes, Billy Preston was incredible…he was with the Beatles at the famous Rooftop Concert, also known as the Let It Be concert.

11:52 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Some of that may have been in reference to some stuff they were doing before they were famous. I can’t remember, and I don’t really remember any songs from the BGs before disco except “Massachusetts”, which is a great song. That was the folks making the show who said that, so I am Switzerland on this debate. Haha.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

I would venture that Kentucky Football fans have experienced more heartbreaking losses than any other football team in America. Our fans deserve sainthood for sticking through that.

11. Realme
    10:56 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

So does it bother anyone else that Matt says Old Miss instead of Ole.

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

There is enough other pronunciation stuff that bothers me more, so I just let it go.

• ClutchCargo
      11:13 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

For instance, I have another several days of hearing “Missippi” to look forward to.

11:19 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Yes. He did it constantly in the pregame.

12. runningunnin.454
    11:15 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

We had free Showtime over the weekend; can you believe their Family Channel showed “The Stepford Wives”…the later comedy one? What are they thinking at Showtime?
    If anyone has seen the movies or read the book, can you explain to me if the real wives were murdered, and replaced by robots, or if they were brainwashed or had computer chips planted in their brains? Never understood which.

11:19 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Hollyweird’s idea of what is family fare is not mine these days.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:25 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

I don’t want any trash talking or flexing; be professional and play the game. The caller was right, and MJ was wrong.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:29 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

The chain is lame. At least Georgia has the spiked shoulder pads. Have something different like they do.

• Realme
      11:35 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

It was cool when like one or two schools started it, but now that most schools seem to have a turnover something, it is cheesy.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, Matt says we need interceptions; hell, we can’t cover anyone; we’re not close to the ball, nor their receivers. Don’t think we need a turnover anything.

11:55 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

I already posted this below, but someone over the weekend posted a comment saying Stoops’ chickens came home to roost (that’s my phrase) after running his mouth about how you don’t see open green grass in the SEC like you saw in the UL game.

OUCH!!! And it was US that left all that green grass open.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:41 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Did he say Jose Canseco is still playing, lol.

16. Laker Cat 18
    11:49 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Finally…a little C-Rod support!

• Realme
      11:52 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

I don’t understand why they’re acting surprised. Do they watch our games or not.

11:52 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Ryan is wrong though. Smoke is better.

• Realme
      11:58 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Depends on the situation. I’ll take CR most of the time.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:59 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

They’re all 3 different types of backs.

Rose is your homerun hitter. He’ll have 15 carries for 90 yards, but one of those carries is a 70 yarder. He won’t get much on the others…just a patient waiting game. Probably best hands out of the group. Slot hybrid.

C-Rod is your most similar to Benny power back. Not the fastest, but gets you consistent yardage.

Smoke is the guy in between. Would probably be the favorite for most fans because of this. But I know fans don’t pick personnel or plays. LOL

12:00 pm October 5, 2020 Permalink

When you need that tough 3rd and 1 or 2, or 4th and 1, goal line situation, then yes, I agree. But Smoke is the best all around back IMO.

17. Laker Cat 18
    11:51 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

We getting rocked by Mississippi State fellas. It’s happening. It’s not going to go well for us defensively. Is there a team out there that Mike Leach wants to beat more than Kentucky?

• Realme
      11:54 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Stoops is a defensive genius right? So maybe they get things fixed.

11:54 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Someone over the weekend posted a comment saying Stoops’ chickens came home to roost (that’s my phrase) after running his mouth about how you don’t see open green grass in the SEC like you saw in the UL game. OUCH!!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

The 2ndary is hopeless; we have to get some pressure on the qb, or it will be ugly.

18. Realme
    11:55 am October 5, 2020 Permalink

Callers that think they can be Chester (overly optimistic or emotional) are the worst. Just leave it to the professional.

• Laker Cat 18