KSR Show Thread 1/2: First show of 2020

Hello, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Start your year right by tuning in to hear the guys break down Kentucky’s thrilling win in the Belk Bowl, including Lynn Bowden’s heroics, and recap a very fun New Year’s Eve.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

118 Comments for KSR Show Thread 1/2: First show of 2020

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:55 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Bud Foster cured cancer.

10:03 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

#ForBud

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

But, Lynn Bowden flew the plane home.

10:07 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

My husband said he looked like a combination of a turkey and Freddie Krueger.

10:08 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

If you all we’re not in the Live Blog, I kind of started a long chain of comments like that. What a slobberfest ESPN was engaging in.

10:09 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Oh, Bud, COME SEE ABOUT IT!

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Bud led the Normandy invasion; Bud discovered penicillin; that wasn’t Neil Armstrong on the moon…that was Bud.
      Bud tore down the Berlin Wall.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:13 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

ScoggDog had the comment of the year on Bud Foster.

The greatness of Bud Foster can’t be reduced to something as simple as a football game, just like it can’t be captured in mediums as unrefined as marble or stone, poem or song. To properly portray the magnificence of the man would require a structure beyond our ability to comprehend – like a sculpture of pure light floating on a lake of the most innocent love. To gaze directly at Bud Foster would be to risk madness, like staring into the sun until one was blinded by sheer awe.

When the euphoria wears off, you’ll see that the world is just a little more gray now. That’s the Earth’s way of weeping for the passing of Bud Foster.

10:15 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Pretty sure I heard the announcers say that.

10:34 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

ScoggDog made another funny comment:

Look – I understand everybody is hyped about the ending – but please, try to view the big picture.

This is no day for celebration. We lost Bud Foster. Bud. Foster.

10:37 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

This is not original with me, but here’s a comment I made:

Directly under the throne room, a gloomily lit hall. Banners hang on either side to form a corridor down the middle of the
      fire lit room. Giant doors open at one end. A huge figure silhouetted against the bright light beyond walks forward. In slo-mo, we recognize the unmistakable shape of the God of Thunder. Hammer in hand, he reaches the end of a raised platform. Lightning strikes the Destroyer. It convulses. Bud swings Mjolnir around, takes off straight up into the air, as the Destroyer gets back on its feet and looks up at the Thunder God. Storm clouds gather around Bud as he summons gale force winds.
      Debris from the battle begins to rise up into the sky. The Destroyer stays there, kept grounded by its massive weight.

11:19 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Sorry for the poor cut & paste from the Thor script, but I couldn’t write something as elaborate as Scogg. Haha.

2. Realme
    10:10 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I guess I should be glad he’s not talking about his campaign decision anymore, but I am sort of tired of hearing about The Book.

3. J-Dub421
    10:10 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

The Bud Foster jokes on the live blog during the Belk Bowl had me laughing out loud.

10:39 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I missed it. I was at work. Sometimes I can’t keep up with the live blog during a close game because I keep missing what is happening in the game, or vice versa.

11:20 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Sometimes I have to put the iPad down because I wind up missing too much of the game, especially at the end of a close game like that one and the UL bball game.

4. Realme
    10:12 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

That last 8 min drive + passing there took a lot of balls. I like that we now have a team that believes in itself that much. That’s all Stoops.

10:15 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

And we are SO lucky Lynn didn’t punch anybody within the hour window.

10:16 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

And please, please make Ryan learn Clinkscale’s name. He is driving me nuts with the Clinksdale.

10:18 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I thought it was funny how the announcer said something about how time was working against KY when there was around 6 mins left. He said if something happens and we didn’t score, there wouldn’t be a lot of time to get the ball back. Well, buddy…what makes you think we aren’t gonna hog up all the time and it will be a problem for VT?

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

VT punks started it; don’t run your mouth, if you don’t want someone to shut it for you. Ha ha.

10:20 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Do you think ESPN also had video of the 2 punches our media reported thrown by their players, and chose to make it look like it was only Bowden? Do you think it was VT that broke into his car?

10:21 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Sometimes you gotta hit the bully in the mouth. They had posted social media videos calling Lynn awful names, kept clowning on him. At what point is enough “enough” and you punch them in the mouth…well over an hour before the game is that point 🙂 haha

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

BP, funny you said that; some KSR commenters were piling on Lynn, and I posted that when I was 9 years old, I was having problems with bullies. Our pastor told me, “there are bullies in this world, and sometimes, you just have to punch them in the mouth”.
      Shortly after that, my Dad sent me to live with my Mom’s uncle in Detroit. He was a decent pro middleweight in the ’20’s, and after retiring from the ring, he opened a boxing gym teaching young guys, age 9 to 17, the sport.

10:38 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

… and the legend of rg454 was born! 🙂

10:40 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

BP, I thought we were going to run out of time

Matt, it wasn’t just 5 minutes of cursing. It was also our players using the same racial slur that VT players were hurling at Lynn. I didn’t like that. I guess some might say they were just reciprocating, but I don’t like it.

10:47 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

rg is the Fresh Prince of Detroit.

10:48 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Chris I was concerned about time too, but only on that drive…I wasn’t even thinking about enough time for another possession bc I knew our drives take a lot of clock

• 4everUKBlue
      11:53 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I might possibly have email the offensive comments about Bowden to Mrs. TT….

• ClutchCargo
      12:00 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

Careful, 4ever. Snitches get stitches, or end up in ditches. lol

• 4everUKBlue
      12:16 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

It was my evil twin brother not me Clutch.

5. J-Dub421
    10:25 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

We’re good at running clock. That’s what the power run game does. I’m not sure what happened to our defense for a while there, but they came through when it counted. That last drive and score was epic. Bowden is a legend.

10:28 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Still kept the streak alive at least. We remain at the top of the list of teams holding opponents to 30 points or less.

10:43 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I thought they were taking too much time, but it worked out perfectly since they only had a few seconds. The scoop & score was reminiscent of the ending of the UF game last year,

Several of us were complaining about clock management in the Live Blog, and when we scored I tried to say “Like I said, perfect clock management!” But someone beat me to it. Haha.

11:02 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

When they had the ball with 15 seconds, I was looking around for a chicken to sacrifice to the Football Gods. The Old Kentucky Football would have let them run it up the field for a score. Actually, the OKF would have coughed the ball up earlier.

• ClutchCargo
      11:22 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

No kidding, RCF, I half expected Jordan Wright to fumble that ball right back for the game-losing TD at the end. I’m scarred from that Peach Bowl ending back in the early 90’s.

11:39 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Which John Short busted up Marty Moore over. I still can’t believe he did that. Poor Marty. Haha.

6. Realme
    10:25 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Ooops, they forgot to get Matt’s permission to say Big Blue Wall, which goes back at least one season.

7. J-Dub421
    10:30 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

On another note, the officiating in the Belk Bowl was terrible. Those refs couldn’t tell their butts from a hole in the ground.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Home sick with the crud. Spent most of the night trying to cough up a lung. If I get it up, I’ll paint it blue and make it a monument to Bud Foster.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

The lady who got smacked by the Pope should get a t-shirt made up to commemorate the event. “I went to Rome and got bitch slapped by the Pope”.

10. cats646
    10:41 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I’d like to apologize for my “tough guy” rant yesterday on the article about Bowdens car that got deleted. I may have said a little too much. That guy talking about Lynn pissed me off so bad! Anyways, I allowed myself to get a little too angry lol. Sorry about that.
    GO CATS!!

10:42 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Dang cats646, I’m sorry I missed that! 🙂 But good on you to come on here to apologize.

10:43 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t see it, but he probably deserved it. 🙂

10:45 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Post it again here so we can see it. lol

• cats646
      10:45 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I mean, he deserved a little bit of it. But I honestly don’t remember what all I said. I was very heated. That guy kept saying Lynn was a thug and started everything. Like, how did he start any of that?!

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Cats646, they deleted the original comment by that guy…when that happens, it deletes all the replies, too. One of mine was deleted, too, but I’m not apologizing for it. That guy was way past the line.

• cats646
      10:48 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Oh I’m not apologizing to that guy runnin. But I’m pretty sure I wished death upon Bud Foster and the rest of their coaches lol. I shouldn’t have done that.

10:48 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Those folks either didn’t see the video from the speedway or chose to ignore it.

10:51 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Buddy of mine was going back and forth on FB with some of his UL fan buddies/coworkers on the same thing. He said you need a thug or two on the team for toughness, but you can’t have more than one or two, or you end up with a Bobby Petrino team. 🙂

Now I am never going to say that LB is a thug, but he still has a little bit of growing up to do. That being said, he has come a long way, and his devotion to his child is most encouraging. THAT is what makes a man.

10:51 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

lol 646 that is bold to wish death upon Bud Foster, seeing as though Bud Foster gets to decide who lives another day 🙂

• cats646
      10:53 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

The thing is that he did used to be a thug. He even admits that. But he made it outta that life and I’m so proud of him! And people coming at him acting like he never grew up at all really makes me mad.

10:59 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I think Lynn is a little bit like Boogie Cousins. They both had a tough past, and they both have to work hard to leave that past behind. I have lived a pretty easy youth by comparison, and have not walked in their shoes, so I can’t say too much about what they are dealing with.

• cats646
      11:02 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Ha good point BP. I hope ole Bud doesn’t strike me down today lol

11:05 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I agree, RCF, but I’m gonna need Lynn to draw the line at threatening to have his woman killed if they don’t work out. Still can’t look at Boogie the same way, even though that seems to have blown over.

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

It’s fine to wish death upon Bud Foster, btw. If it happens, it will be all good once he is resurrected in three days.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Can we get the Stoops Tapestry of Obscenity/Lord’s Prayer on podcast somewhere to listen to?

• cats646
      10:47 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

That honestly blew my mind. Everyone just yelled cuss words then started praying lol. I didn’t know how to feel about that lol

10:50 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

It is kind of weird, but maybe normal for sports, Last Chance U is famous for that. Do they at least avoid taking God’s name in vain right before the Lord’s Prayer?

10:54 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I think I saw that video on Instagram. I think Bowden posted it, even though maybe someone else was recording it?? Seems like they were rapping a song with those distasteful words in the lyrics, then started praying. I can’t really remember 100% though.

12. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:50 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

At one point in his call to Matt he said he was brushing his teeth. Why? Does he snack on popcorn on the sidelines when the cameras aren’t looking? Does he not brush before he leave the house or hotel? Just kidding. Haha.

11:13 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

And brushing his teeth with beer takes me back to my Lake Cumberland Houseboat Party days…

13. runningunnin.454
    10:50 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

They should give Cal one of those rubbery ABA basketballs to sign; have you ever played with one of those? Cal would have a fit.

11:10 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Maybe a Nerf basketball…

11:18 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I had an ABA bball with memeographed autographs of Issel & Gilmore. I wish I hadn’t tossed it into the back yard all those years ago for the dog to play with and ruined it.

11:18 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Mimeographed…

11:30 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Are there still any functioning mimeograph machines in existence?

14. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of brushing teeth while trying to talk, my daughters have those electric toothbrushes, and when they try to talk with those things, it sounds like Peter Frampton singing “Do You Feel Like I Do”.

15. RealCatsFan
    10:56 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

What would it sound like if John Short and Lamar Jackson tried to carry on a conversation?

11:02 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, good one. Can we get Ed Orgeron in there, too.

11:08 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Realme, that sounds more like my daughters arguing over who gets to wear the new sweater. 🙂

11:27 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

That’s a crazy video! I saw that a while back on Facebook.

16. Realme
    11:11 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I mean, they clearly have promised dozens of gift card to people and their company didn’t follow through. Maybe stop promising them if you can’t stand it when people want to actually receive their prize.

11:15 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Exactly! I can understand Matt getting irritated that someone thought he would just happen to have it in his pocket, but yeah, maybe you should only give away a KSR shirt or mug at remotes from now on, with attendance required. Problem solved.

17. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:13 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I’m pretty sure we had Belk in Lexington when I was a kid, no? Or am I mixing it up with Ben Snyder’s because they both start with “Be”? Does anyone here remember Ben Snyder’s? How about McAlpin’s?

11:14 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I only go back as far as McAlpin’s.

11:17 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I was saddened to hear that Dawahare’s had closed a few years ago. RIP Dawahare’s.

On a positive note, it’s cool for me to hear Barney Miller’s and Pierat’s (sp?) ads and to know they’re still kicking.

11:18 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

We had a Ben Snyder’s in Louisville. I remember it vividly because my mom used to drag me in those stores with her when I was a kid. What fun! Also had Rhodes, Shilito’s, Bacons, The Fashion Shop, etc. We were cleaning out there house a while back and kept finding old boxes with their logos on it.

11:24 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I think there was a Belk’s in Lex a long time ago but I could be wrong. Still have one in Richmond.

11:25 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Wow, RCF. I totally forgot about Shilito’s. I’m pretty sure we had one of those, but I don’t remember Rhodes or Bacon’s if we had them. Those were the days before suburban malls totally killed downtown shopping. I do remember my dad though, in the early to mid 70’s, saying “Yeah, people aren’t going downtown as much now. They’re going to the Turfland Mall.” Then the Fayette Mall opened up.

11:25 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Does anyone remember Grant’s? I can’t remember if there was one in Lexington, but there was one in Georgia when we moved there in 1975.

11:35 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I vaguely remember Grants. Bacon’s had several stores in Louisville. Might still be around – I don’t shop, so I wouldn’t know, LOL.

Service Merchandise was another one that went by the wayside. My parents used to get the catalog every year, and I remember drooling over the model train sets and the Pioneer stereo receivers as a kid.

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

There is a store called Barney Miller’s? What do they sell…Fish? I remember the TV show; the African-American on the show was from Evansville, he passed away a couple of years ago.

11:45 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Haha RG. Did you never go there when you were at UK?

• runningunnin.454
      11:48 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Nope, what do they sell?

11:57 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

appliances, right?

18. Realme
    11:14 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I love that these bowls hire someone with a sense of humor to do their Twitters. Always a good follow (for a couple of weeks).

11:41 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Does Wendy’s still have the insult comic running theirs? It used to be hilarious.

19. Realme
    11:15 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I’m 2/3 through You season 2. Not nearly as good, but probably building towards something…

20. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

So when does UK Basketball play again? Letdown game coming?

11:22 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Saturday against Missouri. SEC action, hopefully no letdown!

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Mizzou Saturday. At home.

11:26 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I’m like Matt. I want to bask in the glow of the UL game and the bowl game for a few more days. I wish we started SEC next Tuesday.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

So Matt had the audacity to compare Lynn Bowden to Saint Lamar? The nerve of that guy!

11:31 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

No he just tweeted out ESPN’s graphic about it. He did break a record after all.

22. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

On the last couple plays of the game I was honestly just worried that they would get within FG range and it would end like the Georgia game a few years ago.

• runningunnin.454
      11:42 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Wasn’t worried about that; you CAN play the prevent defense with 15 seconds left in the game, ha ha.

11:46 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Did anyone notice what Matt was talking about on the last play?

11:53 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

cg, I just went back and watched that final play, and they were so zoomed in on the play that it was hard to see what was happening elsewhere on the field.

• runningunnin.454
      11:56 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know what Matt is talking about…that guy would have to lateral the ball, and there was no one there near him that was even in the picture.

11:58 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

rg, it looked like he was trying to make a forward pass, which may have been a penalty because they may have been ahead of the LOS.

23. J-Dub421
    11:37 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Ah, Dawahare’s. I haven’t heard that name in years. My grandfather used to jokingly call it Dog Hairs.

11:43 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

One reason I fell in love with that store is because I heard (after I moved away) they supplied UK bball coaches with suits, and Rickie P. coming out in the plaid jacket in the game against Bama was great. He said it came from Dawahare’s too, and UK auctioned it off for charity.

24. secrick
    11:38 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I know this as all been said but i am just now able to get on here. What a Football game. I think it was the best Football game i have ever watched as far as being nervous and then so excited . That offensive line is awesome , the whole DAM team is awesome.

11:40 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Rick, I had to work, so had to listen on the radio. I couldn’t wait to get home to spend my NYE watching the replay with a cold beer in my hand!

11:44 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I said it before, I’ll say it again: John Schlarman is the best O line coach in the country, and I hope one of the blue-bloods doesn’t steal him away!

11:48 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

I will probably be looking forward to spring practice more than any time in my life.

25. J-Dub421
    11:46 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Since I was out running errands on Monday and didn’t comment on the Louisville game….
    That game was way too close for comfort, but it was thrilling to win in overtime. The officiating was terrible. The refs evil plot to hand the game to Louisville was foiled by the fact that they can’t hit a free throw.

IQ and Brooks did a great job on Nwora defensively. IQ hit some clutch shots, and he’s the guy I want on the free throw line in late game situations.

Nick Richards was great, and we would not have won without him. Big Nick Energy. EJ made some dumb mistakes, but also came up big in some situations. Sestina was solid overall.

Ashton didn’t have the greatest shooting day, but he did a good job running the offense and setting his teammates up to score. (Seriously, watch the highlights and realize how many of our buckets were set up by Hagans.)

11:48 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Facts.

11:56 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

Now I need to watch the replay of the basketball game again! What else is there to do when laying around sick?

12:00 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

J-Dub I agree the refs wanted Louisville to win. But if you strolled Card Chronicle after the game, you would be amused to see how many comments complained about the refs in “corrupt arena” not giving them any calls

• secrick
      12:04 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

So True.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:12 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

Syrin said the best thing Nick did was not foul out, of course I took offense at that comment and defended Nick’s honor. I really need to stay out of the comment section after games.

12:27 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

syrin is an old school troll. save your time and ignore him.

26. RealCatsFan
    11:55 am January 2, 2020 Permalink

This to me is the statement that sums up how far Kentucky Football has come – five years ago, who would think that we would follow up record breaking players like Benny Snell and Josh Allen with an absolute legend like Lynn Bowden? Imagine what could be waiting in the wings for this team, with the kind of recruits we have coming in! GO CATS!!

27. secrick
    12:03 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

REALCATSFAN, When you watch the game pay attention to the block E.J has on Nowra close to the end of the game, it was a big time block.

12:07 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

he also had an assist to Richards late in the game that was super important.