KSR readers expect a five-win football season

stoops

On Monday, Tyler Thompson dropped a poll asking you, the Kentucky Sports Radio readers, to cast your realistic opinion on the upcoming football season. No frills, no strings attached. The results seemed optimistic overall, but there was plenty of naysaying and overboard positivity in the comments.

Without a doubt, morale is high around the program. Mark Stoops has sent a massive surge of energy into the recruiting scene and has rallied a dormant fan base around a team that mustered only two wins last season. If what Stoops has done off the field in just a few months is any indication of the product we get on the field, this season will be fun. However, the SEC is still the SEC. It will take time for the young guns to get acclimated to the size and speed. Results will not be immediate, in all likelihood.

That is not discouraging the KSR readers. They have spoken, and the majority says the Wildcats will just miss out on a bowl berth, posting a 5-7 record overall. Twenty-nine percent of the votes say the Cats will be one win shy of the post-season. That is still quite an improvement from what we saw a season ago. Next, with 25 percent of the votes, say 4-8 is most likely. Third was an even 6-6 record, getting 20 percent of the votes.

ksr-football-poll-results

Kentucky loses five offensive starters from a unit that was among the worst overall in all of college football. That claim was no fault of two veterans on the front line, however, center Matt Smith and guard Larry Warford. Replacing these big boys up front will be no easy task. The quarterback and running back position will be the deepest for offensive coordinator Neal Brown, who can’t wait to air it out.

Defensively, Stoops has a lot to work with. The only major loss is safety Martavius Neloms, and some of the brightest players with the most upside are still young. Fans have a lot to be excited with in defensive end Bud Dupree, along with tackle Mister Cobble and Donte Rumph. Throw in linebackers Avery Williamson and Miles Simpson, and there is plenty of experience in the unit, along with its top three tacklers from last season.

The outlook for the season is not pristine, especially with teams like Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, and Georgia  on the schedule. But with Stoops at the helm, surely this ship with right itself before long. I have to say the KSR readers are optimistic at 5-7. Pick up one surprise upset and we could be bowling!

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

18 Comments for KSR readers expect a five-win football season

1. J in Orlando
    4:45 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

It would be nice, but 5 is unreasonable to expect…we will be an underdog in 9 games this year. On the other hand, Stoops would really get some momentum going if he gets this team within a sniff of a bowl this year.

2. STEVE!
    4:56 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

If UK wins 5, Stoops should be Coach of the Year.

3. ribin
    5:03 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Winning 5 would be good, obviously more would be great — biggest thing I want to see is being competitive in every game — no more half measures, fake ‘getting up for games’ — be real — give your best all the time — BBN will be with you.

4. Randall Cobb is King!
    5:07 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

1 & 2) I agree with both of you. I believe 5 wins will be a huge success. I find it hard to see this team winning more than 4 games; however, I believe that we will be much more competitive this year. As everyone has said, the biggest game on our schedule is WKU, we MUST beat Western, and we will. My “upset” pick of the year is the Louisville game. I think Louisville will be a 14 point favorite coming into Commonwealth, but I think the crowd for that game will keep it close. The crowd for the UofL game will be one of the best in my lifetime. I’m 23 years old, and I can count on one hand how many home football games I’ve missed since 1995. I, like everyone else, am very excited for the future of Kentucky Football, but I do realize that it is going to take a few years to get to where we want to be. My only hope is that fans are reasonable if we do have a sub-par season in the fall. Just remember that this is going to take time, but this coaching staff has gotten off to a hell of a start. See you all in Nashville for the Western game, can’t wait! Go Cats!

5. lribookend
    5:22 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

This year: 4 wins
    Next year: 5 wins
    2015: 6 wins.

Keep it realistic, fans.

6. Beatle Bum
    5:24 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I read this poll to say that 88% (not countin those who said UK should go 12-0) of the fanbase says UK should win AT LEAST 4 games this year.

7. Beatle Bum
    5:25 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

And, over 50% of the fan base believes we should win 5 games.

8. jpgott2
    5:25 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I voted 4-8…1st year with an entirely new Defensive system that takes us from the 3-4 to the 4-3, along with an entirely new Air-Raid Offense, on-top of a ridiculously tough schedule…….. 4-8 seems to be accurate.

Next year should be better for we will have 1 year with the new class, probably a softer schedule (can’t get tougher), and some experienced QB’s.

9. When
    5:28 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

#4 you noted that you are only 23 years old, so respectfully, I have to tell you that expecting or hoping for UK fans to be reasonable is unrealistic. 3-9 or 4-8 are likely, in which case the fan grumbling will start in about week #10 and Stoops can then close the book on his honeymoon.

10. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    5:45 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I was going a post a big long response breaking down each game but remembered that I make fun of people who do that. Three wins is all I see folks. They got work to do but I think with Stoops and the staff he has assembled we are moving in the right direction. It’s the SEC not the BIG whatever conference in which you can turn a program around in a year or two. I’m still going to be at CWS getting wild.

11. jpgott2
    6:03 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Again, my response that was thick with logical thought and reasoning, gets erased, yet, a poster who is hating on the UK fan-base gets theirs in?……….WOW!

12. mudcreekmark
    6:03 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I am so glad our fans were reasonable when polled about this. With all the hype, I thought everyone was going to get carried away with the expectations. It will take at least 3 years to get us to where Brooks had us.

13. Jacob Brooks
    6:44 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

5) I’ll take that bet.

Sime people have some sort of complex obvioudly and simply don’t realize that we didn’t have 2-10 talent last year. Maybe only 4-8 but there’s a big difference there.

You have to realize we had several huge injuries and had a completely inept head coach and a defensive scheme that didn’t match our personnel at all.

Injuries included our starting quarterback (the most important position) our best running back who had to redshirt (Clemons) and our secondary which was basically down to the last man.

We got Max Smith back this year but whitlow has improved so much that he may win the job. Either way we will be better at qb.

We lost Larod King which hurts but we are bringing in a top juco WR who can lessen the blow. The 5 lost starters on offense included Boyd and McCaskill who weren’t really starters at all. A our young WRs will be better and we’ve got 3 very good wrs coming in.

RB is much better with Clemons returning and JoJo coming in.

Our D Ends are about 10x better with Dupree and Smith vs Ukwu and Wyndham.

95% of our DBs all return plus juco Nate Willis, Marcus McWilson, and a finally healthy Glen Faulkner.

We will be drastically improved and 4-8/5-7 is very doable but in year 2 6-6 will be very possible and 7-5 the year after. Its delusional to think this will take 4-5 years to fix if stoops keeps getting tip 25 recruiting classes

14. DT from georgetown
    7:35 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Just be competitive and be fun to watch.I’ll be happy.

15. Charlie Strong Says
    7:38 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

LOUISVILLE is going to STOMP the living shat out of the Mildcats. See you in the fall!

16. Bird Dog
    8:31 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

#14 has it right. We will be fun to watch!! I can’t wait. Go Cats!!
    5 wins is not possible this year. We must beat WKU! That is going to be a huge win and get our program flowing. All other 2013 wins will be icing on the Cake!

17. Z
    11:09 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Hammer has no football credit leaving Z Da off that list

18. Honky Kong
    8:56 am May 22, 2013 Permalink

Cats are gonna win 6 this year and we will be bowl bound !