KSR Breakdown: “The Blarge”

“BLARGE”: No one knows it means. But it’s provocative. It gets the people going.

I’ll be honest, guys and gals. The double-foul call has really been affecting my day-to-day activities since it was called in the first half of Kentucky’s game against Arkansas. For almost two full days, it has consumed my mind while I eat, sleep, breathe and watch Justified. I was that bothered.  I’ve also spoken to numerous people who were blown away by the call, which inspired me to go back to the tape and dust off that old basketball handbook I got at Mike Phillips Basketball Camp in 1996.

Revisit the play with me through KSR’s new game breakdown technology and then I’ll explain the call.

And if you already know what a “blarge” is, then I commend you for your basketball rulebook knowledge. It is a very, very rare call.

Walk with me…

—————————————-

Marquis Teague gets around his defender and drives to the lane:

Arkansas’s Marvell Waithe gets in position to take the charge:

Waithe is set and draws the contact. (He shuffled his feet just a bit, but that’s OK; he beat Teague to the spot.)

Left. Right.

Who the hell is that guy?

One official signals Waithe for the block, while another calls Teague for the charge:

Waithe doesn’t like the blocking call:

Teague goes to the line:

Wait, let’s review it.

You can do that?

Coach Cal doesn’t like the review:

The final call is a double-foul on Waithe and Teague — also known as a “blarge.”

Seriously.

What do you think about that, Wildcat Corey?

—————————————-

So, apparently, a “blarge” is an actual violation. It’s when simultaneous whistles end a play, but two contrasting calls are made by the officials.

It’s in the rulebook.

BLARGE: Block/Charge Double Foul

Section 1.1 Block/Charge Calls p. 20 and Section 1.2 Drives to the Basket p. 21, jurisdiction to determine this call is levied upon the Lead official to have primary coverage if the contact occurs within the Free Throw Lane Lines; however, if case of double whistles, the outside official may take this call as he might have the best look.

Hence, there might be an indeterminate time frame where one official may call and signal “Block” while the other official calls and signals “Charge” nearly simultaneously. Hence, a “BLARGE” may result.

A Blarge is a Double Foul and must be processed as such. It would be incorrect to allow one official’s call to override or set aside the others. A discussion of the four types of Blarge Double Foul scenarios: Player and Team Control, Team Control and the two examples of this type of double foul following a FGA where there is loss of team control, will be addressed in this essay. [Source]

There ya go. It’s legit.

“And if ya don’t know, now ya know.” ** Biggie Voice **

Article written by Drew Franklin

58 Comments for KSR Breakdown: “The Blarge”

1. first!
    2:07 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

by indiana i think you meant arkansas

2. Drew Franklin
    2:09 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Same thing.

3. UK Wildcat
    2:13 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Still retarded.

4. UKFanInCincy
    2:14 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

OMG drew made a mistake!!!! KILL HIM!!!!! #1 has never made a mistake in his/her life…..

5. MikeMan
    2:15 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I wonder how any times this is called throughout an entire season for all of D-1?

6. Swish
    2:16 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

This sounds just like when the NCAA declares a player eligible to play then after the season is over they declare the player ineligible. The NCAA really knows how to cover their own arses.

7. Tomas
    2:16 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

We have to find a way to fix this call in college basketball. Its too easy to get a charge call this season. It should be illegal for a secondary defender to float over while an offensive player is driving through the lane. Also is we implemented a defensive three seconds like the NBA defenders couldn’t stant in the lane like that and wait the offensive player to get there.

8. #Rise
    2:20 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Makes me want to be an official and call a blarge all the time.

9. Gr8WhiteNBAHope
    2:21 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

The blarge is actually more common than you might think. On a block/charge, the refs are instructed to hold their signal of foul and make sure that they are the only one with the foul call or that another ref hasn’t already made either a block or a charge motion. It gets tricky when there is a simultaneous whistle and each ref just goes ahead and signals what they saw, which sometimes doesn;t match up. It is a built in escape mechanism for refs when they really screw up, because most of the time a block/charge is a momentum swinging and emotionally charged play.

10. BPsycho
    2:23 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

“aint no mo weed, Wildcat Corey?”

11. Bob Loblaw
    2:24 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I saw a unicorn blarge one time.

12. ATB (Always True Blue)
    2:25 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Franklin, for the first time you made me laugh. Now that’s a first, unlike the BLarge which has been around for ages!!!

13. The Truth
    2:27 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Is that really Wildcat Corey?

14. average fan
    2:30 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

This actually makes sense. There are a lot of times a block/charge could be called either way. It’s a judgement call. Two officials make two different calls at the exact same time. One can’t override the other because they both saw it differently. They made the right call. I personally thought it was a charge. Teague needs to do what he did later in the game: penetrate, when the defense comes to him, stop, avoid the charge and pass to the open man for the dunk. Guards have to learn how deep to penetrate.

15. GummyBear
    2:31 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Guess which one of the refs is Tony Green.

16. Abe Froman
    2:32 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

=O

17. ohreally?
    2:34 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I say the refs have to do a best 2 out of 3 rock, paper, scissors to see who gets the final say on the call. #14, if one ref can’t override the other because they both saw it differently, then what is the point of stopping the game to review the TV monitor? Stupid. They should HAVE to call either a block or charge (not a blarge) after a review or otherwise do away with the stupid play stopping review!

18. Carl
    2:35 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Truth is stranger than fiction.

19. Drakesregular
    2:42 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Mr. Franklin, you did it again. Thanks for making me laugh, especially to the Bruce Drake reference. Love Drakes, and I love see you there working on your game with the ladies… Blarge on

20. GummyBear
    2:42 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

10.. I know you don’t think so or even realize it, but that comment is incredibly racist. Just b/c you “didn’t mean anything by it” and was just trying to be funny doesn’t mean it’s not ignorant and racist.

21. wbguitar1
    2:45 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

this is unbelievable…what bothers me is how most can see this is a subjective call – one person see it one way, one see it another…to me, that should not be a double foul. The offensive team should retain the ball out of bounds, and that is it – end of story.
    Blocking/charging has a lot more to do with whose gym the game is in…home team just seems to get more of those called their way…imo…

22. Michael Kidd-Langford
    2:47 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

El DeBlarge

23. BPsycho
    2:48 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

#20 No it isn’t. You’re racist for thinking it’s racist, you racist. He’s making a shocked expression…. His eyes are very clear in this pic….. I get your point, but not really cause I’m not racist lol j/k

24. Fan1
    2:48 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

What a ridiculous situation. The real truth is that we have officials who are so inept that they cannot make a call. There is no way that there should have been any disagreement whatsoever. Still makes me think the officials are betting on the games they call.

25. Charlie Day
    2:49 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Wildcat Corey works in my building. True story.

26. bung
    2:50 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

there had to be at least 2 Cats open…

27. Gr8WhiteNBAHope
    2:50 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I know they said it was a review, but it isn’t actually a review because they can’t change their calls. If one signals block and one signals charge, both fouls have to be reported. If they did look at the monitor (and I’m not sure they even did), the only thing to look at is to see if both refs signaled different calls. They did, and they have to report both fouls. ESPN said it was an official review, but the conversation probably went more like: Ref 1 – “I signaled charge” Ref 2 – “I signaled block” Refs 1 & 2 (Together)- “OHH SHIT”

28. uktailg8er
    2:50 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

17. They do not actually review the tape to make a correct determination. Instead, what you see from the picture above is the two referees explaining the rare “blarge” to the scorer’s table.

29. bigredbleedsblue
    2:56 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

It should be overruled by the guy who saw it best which is usually the one closest to the call. I don’t like it, but I understand the rule. However, in this situation it should have been overturned one way or the other.

30. Al's IndiCats
    3:00 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

If they looked closely at the replay throughly what they would’ve seen was the guy GUARDING Teague (#1) had his arm locked around Teague’s right arm thus not letting Teague stop to either pass or shoot the ball at the top of the key. Actually neither Teague or Waithe should have been charged with a foul.
    So if there is a thunderous dunk it would be called a FUD-UNK?

31. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:02 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I’ve got to be honest, I thought the “blarge” was a joke when I first read this. And I missed the first half of the game, so I didn’t see it go down. So, of course, I looked it up. It’s legit. In all the bball I’ve played in HS, college, and that I watch now, I’ve never seen or even heard of this being called. Those refs are on point with the rule book to know that call. Most would simply get together and pick one or the other.

32. Nerdo
    3:07 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

This is just more of that famous KSR satire, right? Uh, right? Guys..?

33. Nerdo
    3:08 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

So is there also a “Bloaltending” call?

34. Gr8WhiteNBAHope
    3:09 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

31. The refs knew the rule because a blarge is a refs worst nightmare. It is very embarrassing to officials. The first thing they are instructed to do on a block/charge is to signal foul and make sure their partners haven’t jumped the gun and signaled block or charge already. It is a bad mistake, and the head of officials for the SEC will most definitely chew their asses at minimum.

35. wildcatnux
    3:12 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I always called it a chlock…blarge just sounds stupid

36. Dissenting Opinion
    3:16 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

I disagree completely …. the call should have been a CHARCK! But seriously, how can we expect officials to get a call that involves two players and four feet if they can’t even get a travelling call correct. Travelling only involves one foot of one player – the pivot foot, the first foot that touches the ground after possession. If it is moved or pick up and put back down, it travelling – else it is not. Officials miss it both ways about 20 times per game. It’s just a random call anymore! (sorry to sound like Bobby Knight, but it is true).

37. mateotemprano
    3:17 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

blarge = shart.

38. bung
    3:18 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

should ad block or rebound…if he blocks it and gets the ball that is a blound

39. Patriot
    3:18 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

35….yeah because Chlock isn’t stupid at all.

40. tangledupinblue
    3:46 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

ok , I’ve heard so much about Justified I’m going to watch it . I’ll probably be lost if I start watching season 3 and I haven’t been able to find season 1&2 . Any help finding them will be much appreciated . thanks .

41. Tim
    3:52 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Curios to know just how many charges have been called on the Cats this year.. Seems like A LOT and that it’s become way to hard to drive the lane with a defender 5 feet to the left or right sliding under and drawing it.. Wall would have charged 10 times a game if this was called in this manner two years ago

42. JCPostel
    4:16 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Article was hilarious.

43. JJK
    4:43 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Sould have kicked it out to Wiltjer for an open three.

44. MainStreetCat
    5:07 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Wildcat Corey is always at Big Blue on Baxter. He is the man. Someone buy that man a beer!

45. kyjetblue's man
    5:10 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

great post lmao

46. Jimmy Dykes
    5:43 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Teague clipped the hip, while driving the nail because his guy didn’t guard the yard and Anthony Davis was making a violent cut and it ended up with a blarge? I’m incorporating that in the next game

47. World's Greatest AD
    5:49 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Then, conversely, as the case may be, and often is, there can certainly be a triple secret double blarge, since there are 3 refs. (sometimes known as the tri-blarge)

48. 2020
    6:23 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Defenders feet were on the ground, but one foot was definitely not “set”. An even worse call was that charge call on Teague taken by Stokes in the 1st half of the UT game. Stokes slid 2 feet sideways while Teague was in the air. How did Jimmy Dykes not see those size 20 shoes move?

49. Josh
    6:32 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

This is a really detailed break down, but you left out one thing. The defender beat Teague to the spot, but Teague slid to his right to avoid the contact. The defender fell backwards, not the direction Teague was going. It was a flop, and one ref just missed it. I’ve seen much worse called this year, especially in the game at Tennessee.

50. GODSAZNO
    6:35 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like they are off-setting penalties and UK should keep possession of the ball. But what happens when one or both teams have bonus foul shots to come?

51. barn
    6:53 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

is there still a rule against hanging on the rim? seems to me the most obvious and easiest violation to call would be rim hanging. guess not. same as palming i guess. and is this still a non-contact sport? i still say the players should wear helmets with face guards. oh well

52. The Juggernaut
    7:00 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

They weren’t reviewing the play. At least that isn’t what it looked like to me. I was sitting behind the scorer’s table and I didn’t see any monitors involved. It looked and sounded to me like they were explaining their call to the official that sits at the scorer’s table and the other folks there who needed to know what was going on.

53. saki7
    7:37 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

Blarge… This seems like an April Fool’s Day joke.

54. C-A-T-S Cats Cats Cats
    8:19 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

38) I’m a bit partial to the reblock.

55. RealCatsFan
    9:09 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

That call made me want to shart.

56. Steve
    9:37 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

34 is spot on. i officiate d2 and d3 mens hoops and it is our nightmare call. well, other than missing 6 guys on the floor 🙂 🙂 we are trained to hold on call but that is easier said than done. some calls you need to sell and that is one of them but when it happens in the middle of the paint, that is a dual coverage area so double whistles are common and where virtually all blarges will occur.

57. john g
    10:48 pm January 19, 2012 Permalink

great post drew!

58. RayTheRef
    2:02 pm January 20, 2012 Permalink

By rule…it is literally impossible for this to be a block. Anyone who thinks otherwise should re-visit the Rules Book. Anytime contact occurs…the covering official must decide (rule) if the contact is legal (4.27) or illegal (10.6, 4.23 ++++). If legal…no whistle. If illegal…the next decision is: which player CAUSED the contact? The definition of CAUSES OF CONTACT are also in the Rules Book.

The defender OBTAINED (established) a legal guarding position. Once the defender OBTAINS…he/she now can MAINTAIN that legal guarding position. While in the MAINTAINING mode…the defender can now do ANYTHING and be legal…EXCEPT…CAUSE the contact.

Clearly…the lead official does NOT know the block/charge rule, because an ACCURATE RULING could be made on this play for the top roll of the bleachers.