Kristen Wiig’s Wednesday News & Views

Kristen Wiig is awesome for many reasons, but the one I may appreciate her most for is “Bridesmaids.” Not only is it hilarious, but in our household, “Bridesmaids” is the rare “chick flick” that Mr. TT doesn’t immediately ask me to change the channel from. In fact, most of the guys I’ve asked think it’s a pretty funny movie. Why? I think Kristen Wiig’s humor (evident both in her acting and the screenplay, which she co-wrote) appeals to both sexes. “Bridesmaids” proves that women can do crude and rude humor too, something which Wiig wasn’t afraid to push to the limits on with the infamous bridal shop scene (no spoilers here, you have to see it to believe it). She’s one of the few female actresses that can pull off physical comedy without it looking forced, thanks in large part to her complete lack of inhibitions.

Even though she’s got her reasons, I hate that Wiig left Saturday Night Live. She kept that show going in some pretty dismal times. I didn’t like all of her characters, but the good mostly outweighed the bad. My favorites, in no particular order: the crazy Target lady, Penelope the one upper, Bjork, and Kathie Lee Gifford. Their brilliance is almost enough to make me forget about Gilly. Almost.

Happy birthday, Kristen. I hope you get some arm floaties, fuzzy handcuffs, and a visit from Jon Hamm:

News & Views time.

Some new numbers came out regarding UK football’s season ticket sales, and well, they ain’t good. With 17 days left til the home opener, 37,154 season tickets have been sold, down 9,751 from this time last year and 14,660 fewer than 2009. Even worse? Only 2,447 student season ticket packages have been sold, down 3,433 from last season, a whopping 58-percent drop. Oy. The much-ballyhooed mini-packs have seen moderate success, with 559 sold since they went on sale on July 20. At this point, the only thing that can boost ticket sales is a win over Louisville. Go Cats.

— In good ticket sales news, UK announced that Midnight Madness tickets will be distributed on Saturday, September 22nd at 7:00 am at the Memorial Coliseum ticket windows on Euclid Avenue and online at UKathletics.com and Ticketmaster.com. You can start lining up for tickets at 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday, September 19th. As always, tickets are free (except for the service fee if you get them online), and there is a limit of four per person. Control cards will be handed out to those in line on Friday, September 21st, beginning at 2:00 p.m. If you want a free sausage biscuit from Nerlens Noel, I’d go get your tent now before pickings get slim at the Nicholasville Road Wal-Mart.

ANDREW WIGGINS NEWS! Kind of. In an interview with North Pole Hoops, Nick Wiggins, Andrew’s older brother, said he would “love to see him go to Kentucky.” We’ve yet to learn if Andrew will reclassify, but according to his brother, a freshman at Wichita State, he’s ready. Big brother knows best, Andrew…

— After a clean MRI but continued swelling, Josh Clemons got his knee scoped on Tuesday. Unfortunately, the scope showed some “loose stuff” that will need to be “cleaned up,” which means Clemons will most likely have to undergo another procedure. With the Louisville game only eleven days away, Phillips says there is no timetable for Clemons’ return (the scoping procedure alone requires a ten-day healing period). Cross your fingers for the talented running back, who hopefully won’t have to consider redshirting his sophomore year.

— Sounds like a mission for that deep running back corps we keep hearing about. After sitting out a few practices due to a mild knee sprain, Joker said he expects “Le Freak” Coshik Williams to return to practice on Thursday. Williams is reportedly “neck to neck” with Raymond Sanders for the starting spot, with Johnathan George right behind, and freshmen Dyshawn Mobley and Justin Taylor continuing to turn heads.

— Joker knows who his starting punter is, but he’s not telling. Joker did say that the punting game is much improved from last season, with whomever the starter kicking it both high and in the right direction. Watch out, Cards!

— A break for site biz: Don’t forget to send me your questions for Wednesday’s #ksrmailbag via tweet or email.

— Oh hey, Karl Towns posted a picture of himself and Anthony Davis on Instagram:

Looking good, big fellas. Don’t mind me. Keep talking about Cal…please.

— Speaking of Davis, he told Sports Illustrated’s Maggie Gray that LeBron James and his Team USA teammates had two bits of advice for him for surviving life in the NBA: watch your money, and watch out for women. Also, never wear a t-shirt and shorts to a team dinner again.

You know who always dresses nicely for dinner? Lukask Obrzut, aka WOO, who will be in studio on Wednesday to talk about the Cats, life, and gummy bears. Don’t miss it.

27 Comments for Kristen Wiig’s Wednesday News & Views

1. bigbluejon
    11:13 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Makes me want to go out and buy a “canderl”

2. Isaac in Long Beach
    11:30 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

holy hell, towns is a huge dude.

3. mark
    11:43 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Looks a little out of shape,I’ll take him though. Ben Simmons ,who lives in Australia, is the best player in the class.

4. Mrs Patterson
    11:53 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Oh my goodness…didn’t realize how big Towns was until seeing him next to AD! Get’er done Cal!

5. Vic
    12:13 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Kristen Wiig WHY AGAIN ?? STUPID

6. mores
    12:56 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Someone with medical knowledge help me out. Our best offensive player busted his knee almost a year ago and has been rehabbing it ever since. He’s been tender throughout camp and fall practice and has had a swelling problem for a while now. So we decide to give him a procedure that takes 10 days to heal 9 days before the most important game of the season which seemingly could’ve been performed at any point over the last 9 months.

What the hell?

7. SadCat
    1:20 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

6) you got it!!! You can now get your
    MD from the great UK med school
    of primary care-less.

8. duh
    1:39 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

#6 I agree…why wasn’t this done before now

9. Buckets
    1:45 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Like I say when seeing most of Mrs. TT’s night note dedicationse, who the f#@%k is Kirsten Wiig? Oh, I’ve seen that movie. But people actually still watch Saturday Night Live? I quit watching that show 15 years ago at least.

10. BPsycho
    1:57 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

“advice for surviving life”

11. Anna
    2:15 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Hello, I am a female player from Germany and wish to join..

Anna.

12. SexnNursinHomes
    6:46 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

10- Anotine Walker’s ex has advice for surviving life. It’s called “golddigging” and recently Kobe’s wife has been giving out that same advice.

13. flysoup
    6:54 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Way too much estrogen in this post.

14. Tammy
    7:42 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

6) you see the bit about a clean MRI? I think that goes a long way to explaining the delay. And TT the scope was the procedure done to clean up the “loose stuff”. Scope being short for microscopic surgery

15. Stan
    7:58 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Here is to hoping for a quick recovery for Josh. As far as the punter goes,I hope whoever it is doesn’t get tired, he will be punting a lot unless this years offense is much improved.Sorry, but I still have my doubts. As far as ticket sales go, if we don’t at least keep it close at Louisville,I see lots of empty space on Saturdays at the stadium. Sad, but true.

16. Walden Schmidt
    8:04 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Anna, Welcome. Send pictures.

17. GoodatMath
    8:15 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Not to be picky, but student ticket sales at 2,447 is a 29% drop from 3,433 – not a 58% drop. 3,433 is a 58% increase from 2,447, but that’s not the way it works in the other direction. 29% is still a bad number, but a little less dramatic…..

18. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:17 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

It’s weird that Davis and Towns look like 2 little kids next to each other, when they are both actually around 6’11”.

19. just saying
    8:42 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

14. “scope” is short for arthroscopic, but thanks for playing. A “microscopic” procedure is what Derick Jasper had done, is actually a Major deal, and ends some people’s career’s. Dont get them confused.

20. OoogieBoogie
    9:15 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Why does AD’s head look shrunk in this pic?!

21. Notgoodatreading
    9:23 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

@17 the post says student ticket sales are only 2,447 this year down 3,433 from last season. That means last season there were 5,880 student tickets sold. Good effort though

22. digger? i hardly know her
    9:30 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

kristin wiig is NOT funny.

23. Season Ticket Holder
    9:33 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

I own 10 season tickets for football. I have been a season ticket holder since 1973. I am a UK fellow. I renewed all my tickets and 3 parking passes well before the deadline. When I saw that sales were slow, I inquired about a 4th parking pass. I was told this was against UK policy and they would not sell me a parking pass unless I wanted to buy more tickets.

To be clear, if I had held UKAA hostage and demanded a 4th pass before renewing, is there any doubt I would have received it? I offered to give UKAA more money for FOOTBALL and was told my money was no good.

Can someone please explain the logic? Arrogance? Okay, got it.

24. jaws2
    10:03 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

#23 I feel your pain. It’s not arrogance, it’s ignorance. There is no possibility of logic when ignorance is in place.

25. SeaCat
    10:46 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

19) microfracture surgery is where they drill holes in the bone
    to try to stimulate the regrowth of cartilage. Cartilage is the
    cushion in the joint between the bones. Cartilage does not
    regrow. But the orthopedic surgeon still gets paid to do it.

26. Dawood Khan
    10:49 am August 22, 2012 Permalink

Lukask Obrzut? WTF is that?

27. The Big Toe