Know Your Enemy: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers

Mosley, a KSR founding father, once had a feature entitled “Know Your Enemy” in order for UK fans to be fully informed about their next opponent. While Mosley has moved on to bigger and better things, our enemies continue to be part of our life.  I want to keep us prepared on a weekly basis.

“Tis best to weigh the enemy more mighty than he seems.” -Bill Shakespeare

As the Cats sit 1-1 on the year, many have mixed feelings about their performance on the field. The offense looks much improved but the defense has room for improvement. The fan base seems somewhat mundane thus far.  I’m as guilty as anyone. Is it due to a national title hangover? Has our fan base lost their sense of urgency? Are we satisfied? We here at KSR assume part of the blame, because we haven’t been properly preparing you each week for your enemy. That stops RIGHT NOW.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I invite you to Know Your Enemy: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers.

Location:

WKU is located in the third largest city in the state of Kentucky. It is the pride of Bowling Green, KY. Well, it and the Corvette plant. And Olde Stone. And Fruit of the Loom. And Chase Behanan. Okay, it’s in the top 5. Point blank. Period.

I’ll say one thing about time I’ve spent in Bowling Green. You haven’t lived until you’ve been to Betty’s on a Wednesday night.

Notable Alumni:

Nappy Roots- I’m not going to claim to know which ones went to WKU. I just know a couple of them did, and that’s good enough for me.  If you liked hip hop music at all in the early 2000’s, you sang the words “Them country boys on the rise! With them big fat wheels on the side!” out loud in your car.

Kenny Perry– His unorthodox swing and streaky putter have made him a 14 time PGA Tour winner. Beside the Laettner shot in ’92, Kenny’s playoff losses in the ’96 PGA Championship and the ’09 Masters are two of my worst sports memories. Kenny is a member of WKU’s Hall of Fame and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.  Somehow, I once got his daughter to go to prom with me. I have many Kenny Perry stories, but I won’t share them now as we are only trying to get to know our enemy. I didn’t have a whole lot of people I looked up to when I was younger, but Kenny was one of them.

William Natcher– Not sure how a terrible parkway went to college. Probably with coal toll money.

Cheerleader Scouting Report:

I’m not a photo expert, although I play one here at KSR on Wednesday nights at 9:30. I didn’t even have a camera until they included one on cell phones. But COME ON.  This picture is awful!

I’m not saying the people are awful, or bad looking. As a matter of fact, I’d say this is an overall attractive group of people. But this picture couldn’t be more poorly arranged if Stevie Wonder was in charge.

What is the background of this picture? I’ll tell you. It’s divider walls that didn’t quite get all the way closed. Also, the wall matches the color of the cheerleading uniforms. The people may as well be a part of the wall.

Finally, I can barely see three of the guys on the back row. Is it too much to ask for the girls to kneel or squat? They do it all the time in pictures with their sorority sisters.

Football History:

Ummmm, not great. They won the Division 1-AA national championship in 2002. This year they are 2-0… against the spread.  Their former coach Jack Harbaugh now has two sons coaching in the NFL. That’s cool, I guess.

Coach:

Willie Taggart- Taggart, pictured here with what I assume are his sister and two younger brothers, has been the Head Coach at WKU since the end of 2009.  He was QB 1 at WKU from ’95-’98 and is one of only four Hilltopper football players in history to have his uniform retired. Despite him having no reservations about throwing the students of his university under the proverbial bus, he seems to be a Topper through and through. You can’t really blame him for saying what he said, though. When you are trying to drum up support within your student body and you have the opportunity to suggest they weren’t smart enough to get into another school YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO DO IT.

Players:

I’m not going to sit here and pretend like I know anything about one single Western Kentucky football player. It’s not because I can’t look it up. It’s because I don’t care.  Western’s players will be the ones in red and white on the field Saturday. Be loud when they have the ball.

Airtight Predictions:

To win this game, UK must score the most points. That is literally the only way to win. Sure, there are other stats kept during the course of a game, but somewhere along the line it was decided that the winner of the game would be determined using the “points scored” stat. I’m fine with it, I guess. However, I’d like to see a game where they determine the winner by timing the guys who run on the field to get the tee after a kickoff.

I’ve got UK 35-17.  The hurry up offense continues clicking this week and we pick up a defensive or special teams touchdown.

Summary:

Regardless of the outcome, this should be a fantastic day at Commonwealth with Kentuckians from all corners of the state descending on Lexington. The weather looks promising. A high of 76 degrees Fahrenheit, a 0% chance of rain, and a 100% chance of seeing a “house divided” license plate. Enjoy yourselves, tailgate responsibly, and be on the lookout for aUKward Fan Photo opportunities. Go Cats.

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

25 Comments for Know Your Enemy: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers

1. Please
    4:06 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Heard the radio show was a good one…sure would be nice to blow off my last two hours of work listening…

2. TopperFan
    4:23 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Oh Betty’s…

3. Jack
    4:25 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

1, you know there is thing called iTunes and/or the 1080 website? They both have the podcast up. Have since around noon.

4. NashvilleCat
    4:26 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Prom with Kenny’s daughter? Don’t shrug that off with nonchalance. Those girls are smoking.

5. Steve Berry
    4:35 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Hey Flener, please stop trying to provide the real football fans your lame and LAZY insight. You dont care about the opposing players and who UK will have to compete against to win. Do us all a favor, grab a biscuit and do your best Matt ‘MOOBS’ Jones impression for us….it would be more entertaining.

6. greg
    4:37 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Chane Behanan not Chase.

7. Coach Cal Here
    4:50 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Betty’s is a fine establishment.

8. nassau65
    4:58 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Aaron, If you think UK is going to score as many points as Alabama did, i want some of what you’re drinkin pal. Since i have ties to both schools, i have to ride the fence occasionally. When the roundball hits the floor, i’ll be all blue, but WKU wins this one, hell they almost won last year. They are a tough team, and have a lot riding on this game. Not like Joker doesn’t, but i’m pickin WKU in a squeaker.

9. BobKnight'sabusedchair
    4:59 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Betty’s

10. Fake Tom Leach
    5:01 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Bowling Green is also the 3rd city to be an affiliate for the Leach Report and have a Cheddar’s!

11. TheBigToe
    5:23 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

There are 3 classy places in BG–3 Brothers, The Jug, and Betty’s.

12. Ratchet
    5:28 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

I love how all wku “fans” are promising a win. Just like in the NCAA tourney (beat down) last year in football (double digit loss) and the previous two meetings (2008-UK 41-3, 2010 UK-63-28). And since when is getting beat 35-0 “hanging with Alabama?” I’m looking at you, Brad Stephens, CHH. You all are the most delusional fans out-worse than IU, UofL and Tennessee COMBINED. And who is Andrew Jackson to say UK doesn’t belong in the SEC? We are founding member, and the winningest program of all time in hoops. And the nerve of WKU fan to call UK fans “fair weather fans.” How about the fact that WKU didn’t get a bowl game last year because WKU FANS DIDN’T SHOW UP FOR THE GAMES! From 99-2005, Commonwealth Stadium had average attendance over 60 thousand. 2006 is the only year it dropped below 60,000. http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2011/10/24/uks-football-attendance-second-lowest-in-expansion-era/ there’s the link if you want to see for yourself. With a capacity of 22,000, that means UK AVERAGES 3x more than WKU could EVER EVEN HOLD.

13. nassau65
    5:44 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

12. Ratchet, I thought we were talkin bout who would win, not how many people show up for games. UK enrollment i heard on the radio just yesterday is nearing 30K. Makes sense they would have a bigger crowd than WKU and a bigger stadium to hold them. Has nothing to do with who wins tomorrow. I’ll be the first to come here and say i was wrong if UK wins, i just think it’s not gonna happen. JMO, and everybody has one.

14. Ratchet
    5:56 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

My comment was directed at your fanbase as a whole, and your coach, who insulted himself, WKU, and every student at the school, including myself. If you read, it’s related to the “fair weather” comments I’ve heard all week about how UK “needs to stick to basketball” when, in fact, WKU is good at neither sport. Your own writers consider covering the spread “winning.” See: Jordan Wells. That is all.

15. nassau65
    6:06 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

14. You keep saying “your”. I have kids at both schools, so don’t give me that “your” crap when referring to only WKU. I’m a fan of both schools (i have to be), and if you don’t understand that, i feel for you. I’m just thankful i don’t also have a kid that wanted to go to UL. Grow up. Everyone has an opinion, and they all are not the same as yours.

16. Isaac in Long Beach
    6:25 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Nappy Roots can suck my

17. Andrew Jackson
    9:42 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

They s’posed to be SEC

18. Hilltopper413
    12:11 am September 15, 2012 Permalink

14. If WKU had LESS students like you it would be a much better place. Way to disrespect the school that you attend. The fan base that you refer to as “your” is also the same as “your” school. Have some pride man. Oh and by the way, WKU is one of the top 20 basketball programs of all time according to most media outlets and statistics. I’d say that would be considered decent by most people. But I wouldn’t expect a student at UK to know that, oh wait, you go to WKU…

19. AminuTimberlake'sNanny
    12:33 am September 15, 2012 Permalink

Aaron Flener, pardon my eloquence, but you just suck. I teach writing and I’ve been teaching writing for a while, in many different cultures, and I can know all about a person from what they write and how they write it. And you just suck.

20. boxvic
    12:37 am September 15, 2012 Permalink

The day Owensboro fell to being the 4th largest city in the state was a sad day. 🙁

21. KY Mud
    1:55 am September 15, 2012 Permalink

I agree with so many before me. Flener’s posts are poorly written, and what’s worse is when he tries to be funny but fails miserably.

22. Old Hickory
    7:19 am September 15, 2012 Permalink

You still ain’t SEC.

23. nassau65
    7:32 am September 15, 2012 Permalink

19. Never begin a sentence with “And”. Oh wait, you must be correct, you teach it. My bad.

24. Yabba Do
    10:17 am September 15, 2012 Permalink

Bama beat LSU last year 28-0. They just beat Western 35-0. Are we sure that Western isn’t going to drag us tonight?

25. nassau65
    11:02 pm September 15, 2012 Permalink

Now, kiss my ass, Ratchet.