Know Your Enemy: The Fighting Irish of Notre Dame

Yes, we still have a basketball team that has big games this week. So big, in fact, that I decided to go to ESPN analyst Digger Phelps for his thoughts about UK’s upcoming visit to South Bend to face his former team.

It was over the phone, but his tone was still abrasive and loud. Here’s what he said:

“Aaron, Listen to me!! Listen to me!! This is Notre Dame’s home game. You guys are a part of it, but you show respect for Notre Dame. I don’t want any nonsense! I don’t want any incidents! Don’t ruin this for the SEC/Big East Challenge.

It was eerily similar to this.

Location:

Notre Dame’s campus is located in South Bend, Indiana. The University is the number one employer of South Bend residents. South Bend is also the site of Pittsburgh’s overtime field goal that missed wide right a few weeks ago. You know, the field goal that could have saved them the embarrassment of playing in the BCS Title game.

Other sporting attractions in South Bend include the South Bend Silver Hawks, a Class A minor league baseball team, and the South Bend Roller Girls. If I lived in South Bend I’d have season tickets to one of those. It wouldn’t be baseball.

Notable Alumni:

Regis Philbin- One of the most decorated entertainers of all time, Regis holds the Guiness Book of World Record for “Most time spent in front of a television camera.” This is not a joke. You most likely know him from his time on “Live! With Regis and Kelly/Kathie Lee” or “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?”

Condoleezza Rice- Condi, as her friends and I call her, was the 66th United States Secretary of State under George W. Bush. She is now working at Standford as a faculty member at their school of business. She shares a dentist with Michael Strahan and in August became one of only two female members at Augusta National Golf Club.

Steve Bartman- Cubs fans, send your hate mail to me at [email protected]

For those of you who don’t watch baseball or are too young to know who Steve Bartman is, just watch this video. He became hated by Cubs fans in 2003 when he reached over the left field foul line and deflected a foul ball Moises Alou was in position to catch. They didn’t get the out and went on to lose the game and the series.  This event provided lazy guys everywhere with a Halloween costume for the next five years. Do you have a tutrtleneck, a sweatshirt, a Cubs hat, and headphones? You can go as Steve Bartman.

Daniel “Rudy” Ruetigger- You know Rudy from the movie “Rudy.”  But that character was based off a real person, Daniel Ruetigger. Rudy stood 5’6” and weighed 165 lbs in college.  He is now a motivational speaker. The College Football Rudy Award was created to be awarded to a player based on their character, courage, contribution, and commitment to their team. In 2007, the inaugural College Football Rudy Award was awarded to Terry Clayton of your University of Kentucky Wildcats.

Cheerleading Scouting Report:

Hi.

Basketball History:

Notre Dame has been to 15 Sweet Sixteen’s and 5 Elite Eight’s. Their one and only  Final Four came in 1978 when Kentucky was busy collecting it’s 5th national title.  Digger Phelps has been living off that 1978 Final Four appearance for what is now going on 34 years.

They are coming up on a ten year Sweet Sixteen drought, their last appearance coming in 2003. The bad news for Notre Dame is Luke Harangody, Troy Murphy, Tim Abromitis, and Ben Hansborough won’t be walking through that door tonight.

Coach:

Mike Brey- Did you know Mike Brey has been the coach at Notre Dame for 12 years?!? Well, I didn’t either. He has been there since 2000 and has just begun his 13th year at the helm for the Irish.  If you asked me what year he started coaching Notre Dame I would’ve said no earlier than 2007. That shows you just how relevant they have been during his tenure. Despite making 8 NCAA tournaments during his time, the furthest they have gone is to the aforementioned 2003 Sweet Sixteen.

Players:

Jack Cooley- Earlier I said Luke Harangody wouldn’t be walking through that door tonight. However, I’ve never seen Jack Cooley in the same room with Luke Harangody. I’m convinced they are the same person. Seriously, look at this. These are two “different” people:

What do you think?

Eric Atkins- This guy, all the way down to his looks, is Notre Dame’s Ryan Harrow. The only difference is that he plays in games. He averages 10 points, 7 assists, and 3 rebounds.

Last Meeting:

Kentucky and Notre Dame last met in 2010 at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Ky. Terrence Jones led the Cats to a 72-58 win by scoring 27 points and grabbing 17 rebounds. The Cats were ranked 17th coming into the game while the Irish were ranked 23rd. The score was tied 40-40 at half before Kentucky pulled away. I went to the game with three friends and documented the entire experience here.

Summary:

The Irish come in unranked, but this game will be a huge test. As you know, this game is Notre Dame’s Super Bowl and I expect their crowd to be raucous. A win tonight will tell me this Kentucky team is tough. A loss won’t be too concerning, but it will put a little more pressure on the Baylor game Saturday. A 2-0 week would be great. A 1-1 week doesn’t hurt you. An 0-2 week will have message board posters asking if Mark Stoops can coach basketball.

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

33 Comments for Know Your Enemy: The Fighting Irish of Notre Dame

1. Dr. Mantis Taboggin
    12:09 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

+1 for the Harrow jab, I love hearing them.

2. DoubleZeroMostel
    12:13 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

What? No love for crazy eyed Phil Donahue?

3. The Buzz of Stamping Ground
    12:24 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

You forgot Joe, Wheres the Nearest Restroom, Theisman for the Heisman. Before he wandered around NFL stadiums looking for a restroom QB @ ND

4. Marvin
    12:29 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Standford, eh?

5. Big Tony
    12:30 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Your creditability took a major hit in my book after reading you didn’t know Mike Brey had been coaching there since ’00. C’mon man

6. dude
    12:43 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#5 Why the hell does that matter? Brey isnt exact an A-list coach. I’m sure lots of people didnt know he had been there that long.

7. rudy
    12:47 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

i am a d-bag. the SEC (gov’t) went after me.

8. RealCatsFan
    12:54 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Mike Brey looks like he could be a Mafia Goon. The he is the scariest looking dude in college basketball after Frank Martin. I would never pizz a guy off that looks like that for fear of ending up at the bottom of Lake Michigan wearing cement shoes.

9. RealCatsFan
    12:56 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

The article mentions that Brey has been at ND for 12 years, but it feels like Cooley has been there just as long. Maybe it is because they cloned Harangody and named the clone Jack Cooley so they could have an inside presence for an extra four years. Honestly, have those two ever been on the court together?

10. redandyz
    12:57 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

As a Hoosiers fan, I wonder how many IU fans will be in South Bend to root for Notre Dame tonight. I know a lot of IU hoops fans also root for ND football – wonder if any crossover there. I wouldnt be surprised to see some crimson in the crowd!

Andy I love how now after being ran by Duke and getting challenges from the likes of Morehead UK fans are hedging their expectations… I seem to recall many many posts and comments on KSR before the season (and before the Duke game) in which it was tantamount to stupidity to consider UK less than a national contender. Now, you’re saying a “1-1 week doesn’t hurt you”. Man, how the tunes have changed from BBN since a less than feathery start to the season.

11. Bill
    12:58 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

They always have a Clone-angody

12. redandyz
    12:59 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

8 – Really? MIKE BREY looks like a mob goon???? Have you CHECKED your sideline lately????

13. BlueDuck
    1:08 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

If you put Nerlens hair on Cooley it would look like somebody familiar…….. The green skin and bolts would be optional.

14. Will S
    1:10 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#10) The progression (realization) of BBN. National Title contender to, … at least we’re top 20… “we’ll be better in March”… but before the season, 40-0 was realist, and probably expected. The major blow is this UK team does not have a PG. I’ve been saying for months now that Ryan Harrow is not the answer, cannot live up to expectations, and would miss many games this season. Calipari giving Archie the starting PG spot just substantiates my claims. Harrow won’t even be in a UK uniform next season, and I doubt he starts another game for them, ever.

15. Common Sense
    1:17 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

If anyone has seen the 30for30 on Steve Bartman, they should know it wasn’t only his fault that the cubs lost…

16. irish_1
    1:19 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Come on . . . Bartman & Condoleezza Rice? Are you sure you weren’t going for “Notorious Alumni”? Rice just got her masters there – not a real alum. How can you leave off Hannah Storm & George Wendt? Ok, Wendt is just honorary – he never actually graduated.

17. Common Sense
    1:23 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

10) We get National Championship rings, you make Sweet Sixteen rings. Congrats.

18. Irish
    1:31 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Super bowl??? ND plays in the big east consistently plays host to (and beats) teams with tons more talent than UK has right now. Get over yourselves and realize this isn’t the same UK as it was last year.

19. Go To Your Room
    1:33 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#10, so as a “Hoosiers fan”, are you still beating off to video of Watford’s shot?

20. cards
    1:36 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#19, as a UK fan are you still beating off to pictures of unibrows?

21. Go To Your Room
    1:39 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#20, as a UL fan are you still…oh wait, there’s really nothing

22. Tardz
    1:41 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

#20 No we’re beating off to Big Glimmering chmapionship trophy. You know the one im talking about?

23. SafetyFirst
    1:43 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Enough beating off talk. A Hoosier walks in and the room goes to Hell. Happens everytime.

24. Wild(and wonderful)Catfan
    1:44 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

“Rudy stood 5โ€™6โ€ and weighed 165 lbs”? Really? I’m pretty sure we all know that he stood 5 foot nothin’ and weighed 100 and nothin’. Unless you’re calling Roc a liar, in which case, I fear for your safety.

25. redandyz
    1:57 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

17 – I got nothin’. I agree it is a bit silly.
    19 – What shot? :O)
    22 – That would explain why you are typing left handed and using improper caps and mispelling everything.
    23 – Agreed, and mission accomplished.

26. h
    2:02 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

It’s Stanford, you dipshit

27. theWilkman
    2:23 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

You can really tell how much UK moves the college basketball needle by how many tools like redandyz spend their time on KSR. Get a job/hobby

28. TNO
    2:29 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

Ironic that a traditional white male only club grants membership to Ms Rice. Sounds like a King of the Hill episode where Khan is trying to get Hank to join the all Asian country club.

29. RealCatsFan
    2:55 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

“I love how now after being ran by Duke and getting challenges from the likes of Morehead UK fans are hedging their expectationsโ€ฆMan, how the tunes have changed from BBN since a less than feathery start to the season.”

Most UK fans were well aware before the season started that this would be a very young, if extremely talented team, and would take its lumps early in the season, much like the 2011 team did. To be honest, the season so far has gone better than I expected, even with Harrow absent. Like most fans, I am looking forward to watching this team grow and develop the rest of the season. They might not repeat this year, but they will be fun to watch. It’s not wise to bet against a Cal-coached UK team in March.

I get a kick out of IU and UL trolls who get on here with their chests puffed out, now that their teams are ranked in the top 5, and snipe at UK fans on a UK FORUM. Man, how times have changed since IU had the shame of Samson hanging over them and UL had the Sticky Ricky / Sypher scandal clouding their image! Neither fan base has a whole lot of room to comment on Cal’s reputation. redandyz, are you really going to try to tell us that there are not some shady things going on in Bloomington, with ESPN stories about AAU programs funneling recruits to IU? Sounds like you have been thinking about UK a lot, redandy. A whole lot! ๐Ÿ™‚

30. redandyz
    3:31 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

29 – I work in the bluegrass and hear about UK all day, everyday. And most of what I heard before the season started was that UK HAS RELOADED! WE’RE WINNING IT ALL AGAIN! Now, they’re like you – more down to earth and measured. You are to be commended!

Also, KSR likes when other fan bases come to give our 2 cents. Why else would they post stuff about IU, UL, Knight, Digger, etc??? To provoke responses! See the posts where KSR makes fun of the Watford popcorn boxes, the sweet 16 rings. Love to rip on Digger Phelps. Bob Knight. The pics of UL fans swilling Crown. This site likes us here, and wouldn’t be the same without it.

And to suggest that IU fans have no reason to gloat about cheating/Sampson – you are wrong. Most IU fans have been shamed and humbled for the past 4-5 years, but still supportive. We know where we’ve been, and are glad to be on top again. We are UBER-AWARE of that past. And, KSR even said the case against Jurkin/Perea was BS, which it is.

I read this site primary for the fodder it feeds me to razz the pUKe fans in the office!

31. RealCatsFan
    3:49 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

redandyz, you sound like a fairly reasonable IU fan, so I will give your team props for playing so well early on. They looked like worldbeaters against UNC, but I’m still waiting for them to beat a tough opponent on the road, such as OSU or Michigan, before I am going to be convinced that they are the legit #1 team. They are good though – I won’t try to take that away from them. I have a lot of family in southern Indiana (although most are Purdue fans), so I know there are some good folks living there. I even went up to volunteer for the Henryville relief efforts. Still, it’s hard to stomach all the posturing by some IU fans of how they’re “doing it the right way”, just as most IU fans are tired of hearing Cal talk about a “Players First Program”. Enjoy the game – I will be rooting for the Cats, and I’m sure you will be a closet ND fan for a night. Just remember what goes around comes around when you head into work tomorrow! ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. – most of us Cats fans will be saving the REAL national championship talk for next year, especially if we get Wiggins! ๐Ÿ˜€

32. Biglaw Dawgin'
    4:28 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

I CANNOT wait until Gameday comes to Rupp on February 23. Digger is going to get booed out of the gym! Over/Under on “Listen to me’s” from the crowd when he tries to talk: 1,792. I’m taking the over.

33. UnCommon Sense
    4:34 pm November 29, 2012 Permalink

15 – You needed a 30 for 30 to tell you it wasn’t “only” Bartman’s fault that the Cubs lost? Did you originally think that he also pitched and batted cleanup that night?