Know Your Enemy: Ole Miss Rebel Black Bears

We need wins. Whether we struggle at home to beat LSU or play great on the road like we did at Auburn, we just need wins. For this team, it’s never going to be pretty. Tonight in Oxford is an opportunity for a quality win. Those chances will be few and far between for the Cats in the dismal SEC, so we need to take advantage when at all possible.

I don’t have a lot of time to preview the Rebels today. I have started a new job and my days are filled with meetings and periodic trips to the water fountain (for exercise.) But we’ll give it a quick go. We won’t completely get to know our enemy today, but we’ll learn enough to get by. It’s time for Know Your Enemy: Ole Miss Rebel Black Bears.

Location:

I’m told the only place that matters in Oxford is The Grove.

I have never been there, but a trip is definitely on the road trip bucket list.  According to my new co-worker, an Ole Miss grad, Oxford is in the middle of nowhere. “You drive and drive and when you feel like you’re really lost that means you’re close. All of a sudden, there it is. There is nothing else near.”

A popular hangout for Ole Miss students is “The Library.” The 0ne without the books.

Notable Alumni:

Eli Manning- A two time Super Bowl champion, Manning played his college football for Ole Miss. A member of the most legendary quarterback family, Eli’s brother is a guy named Peyton. His Dad is Archie. Maybe you’ve heard of them.

Josh Kelley- You’ve probably never heard of Josh Kelley. That’s okay, because you know some people he’s related to. An accomplished musician in his own right, Kelley is a brother to Charles Kelley of Lady Antebellum and he is married to Catherine Heigl (Knocked Up, Grey’s Anatomy, a lot of other movies).

Josh and wife Catherine.

Josh and his brother Charles enjoying some brotherly robe time.

Cheerleading Scouting Report:

I believe those are Spirit Camp attractiveness awards in front of them. Congrats, ladies.

Basketball History:

Pictured above is the Tad Pad. This is where Ole Miss plays it’s home basketball games. It will likely be bat or t shirt night in this building tonight.

Their history is not good. They’ve made six NCAA tournaments and one Sweet 16 (2001). They’ve won two SEC tournaments (1928, 1981).

That is all.

Coach:

Andy Kennedy- By now, everyone knows about Andy Kennedy’s arrest video. He was arrested for assaulting a cab driver and he turned around and asked the cop a lot of questions. He would later plead guilty to disorderly conduct, admitting to a verbal altercation. Kennedy sued the cab driver in Civil Court and was awarded AN APOLOGY. Yes, an apology. I’m not sure if he took it to the bank.

Kennedy came to Ole Miss after one year as the head coach at Cincinnati. He has yet to take the Rebels to the NCAA tourney, but that looks like it will change this year.

Player:

Marshall Henderson- When Marshall Henderson isn’t double fisting beers with bros,

kissin’ in the club,

or taunting opposing fans,

he’s a darn good basketball player. Henderson comes into the game tonight averaging 19.2 points per game, 3.3 rebounds, and 1.6 assists per game. He’s also averaging a lot of “getting the finger from opposing students.”

I must say I kind of like him. I won’t like him tonight, but I like guys that play with passion and confidence. I hope his attitude fires our players up and we see some fire out of them tonight.

Summary:

This will be a tough game to win. Just like the crowds at Vandy, Auburn, and Alabama, this crowd at Ole Miss will be rowdy. They come into the game 6-0 in the SEC and Rebel fans are as excited as Rebel fans can get about basketball.

If we can get this win tonight, it makes up for the loss at Alabama and gets us back on track in the SEC race. A loss isn’t a killer or even unexpected, but this would be a big win for our confidence going forward. See you guys on the live blog.

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

32 Comments for Know Your Enemy: Ole Miss Rebel Black Bears

1. Kurgan
    1:03 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

“IT IS BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TO FADE AWAY!!

2. sweets
    1:07 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t it hard coach Squidward to stay out of water?

3. new bracketology
    1:08 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

so we’re gonna continue to have 15-ish about our upcoming opponent every time now?

4. ShagariObrzut
    1:10 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Henderson is not that good. He averages 19 PPG, but that’s on almost 15 shots per game. He’s a volume shooter. He gets a lot of points by taking a lot of shots. He shoots <40% from the field and 35% from the three. If he gets 20 points on 20 shots, I'm okay with that. That would likely give UK a good chance to win. They just can't let him go off like Elston.

5. ThankfulCat
    1:21 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky wins this game. Don’t ask me how or what the score will be but UK wins.

6. Thanks Be To God
    1:21 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Thank GOD Flener got a job. Less of his poor writing and spelling on this site is ALWAYS a good thing.
    I miss the days when KSR was written by young MEN who loved Kentucky Sports. Beez, where
    are you brother? We love you! Signed, A Female UK Sports Fan, Who Does Not At All Like
    The New Improved Girly And Girly-Man KSR. Thank you, and good day.

7. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:26 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Does this team have any other players? This is the only guy I’ve heard about all week. You’d think the 16th ranked team might have more than this guy.

8. Jax Teller
    1:26 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

There’s no room on the blog for this crap. I come here for television commentary and running diary’s, not sports content. This is ridiculous. Congratulations on attaining a new level of suck Mr Flener. This is the worst post I have ever seen on this blog. For a gay guy, you sure do try to post straight guy stuff. You sure you’re not straight?

9. Rockfield, KY
    1:29 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Josh Kelley is an arrogant prick, but he writes some good songs. I think his only real hit was “Amazing” and it’s definitely not his best work.

Don’t forget about Murphy Holloway. Isn’t he leading the SEC in rebounding?

10. PPat
    1:32 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

6, I’m with u, Beez was the best writer on the site, tended to always say what I was thinking, but more eloquently. A lot of the stuff on here now is the same stuff just worded differently by another person. I don’t even know anything about another a player on Ole Miss, let’s not beat the same story to death. I love KSR, but I wish some journalism majors would come work here to at least write a well written piece… Anyway go Cats and beat Marshall Henderson, I guess he’s our only worry tonight.

11. Rockfield, KY
    1:40 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Murphy Holloway is averaging 15pts and 11rebs per game but no one talks about him bc he doesn’t act like a lunatic. He’s actually their best player. With those numbers, he should be a national and SEC POY nominee.

12. Daburrs
    1:40 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Where does rebel black bears come from? I thought it was just the rebels

13. Slim Shady
    1:40 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Y’all act like you never seen a white person before
    Jaws all on the floor like Pam, like Tommy just burst in the door
    and started whoopin her a** worse than before

14. mudcreekmark
    1:41 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

7)I agree. Its 7 hours to game time and I don’t even know who their other players are,if they pop their jerseys, if they kiss ugly girls or even if they double fist Coors Light.

15. mudcreekmark
    1:44 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

also, please do some more football posts. The blind optimism and belief in football at UK gives me a good chuckle every day

16. Really
    1:45 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

The Live Blog? You mean the place where the average Joe’s comments are completely ignored?

17. STEVE!
    1:51 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I hope Henderson isn’t as deeply into the players’ heads as he is those of the KSR writers’. How many posts about a loud-mouthed punk JUCO transfer can you fit into one day?

18. Big Blue 66
    1:51 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

all you need to know about the henderson idiot is watch the jersey snapping video and when the older guy stands up he bails and runs…..all mouth nothing to back it up, thats why Cal wants our guys to kick him in the teeth, all it will take is one beat down and hes done

19. mudcreekmark
    1:51 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

15=fake mudcreekmark)You will see when UK football beats whatever loser program your dumb ass pulls for.

20. helpus
    1:57 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Anyone know how to register Aaron Flener as a virus? He’s the only thing around more obnoxious than Henderson and needs to be stopped.

21. Aaron Fleener
    2:04 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Hi guys… Sorry for my awfulness this is my first ever sports related post as I usually stick to the bachelor and other gay things I enjoy. I really had no idea what to do so just wrote the same thing that’s been posted 12 times in 48 hours and just worded it a little different. I’m so clever LOLs….

22. emlang08
    2:09 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

This no Knock at any particular writer or sportscaster, but I am More tired of Reading/Hearing about Marshall Henderson than I am pissed Bachelor gets time on a UK sports site!

Fact – he scores a lot, but shoots a lot, if he is literally a 40% shooter from the field, and takes a third of the teams shots, can he really be that costly? FT’s against Auburn to win by 2 and I believe a last second shot against Vandy.

Can someone give us a little more insight on the rest of this Ole Miss team? they any good, or can we put Noel on Shady and be done with it?

23. Reggieeee... You eat your chunky soup?
    2:09 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

So what’s the deal with this Henderson guy?

24. Hello
    2:15 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Hey guys, is the right place for the bitching and whining meeting? Reading the comments makes me believe so. Can one more person please gripe about the content of this post, I love crybabies!

25. emlang08
    2:18 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

#23
    He likes Eminem
    He likes licking fatties
    He likes Coors light
    He likes weed
    He likes to pay with monopoly money
    He likes to Shoot ……. A LOT
    He has the green light from Andy, even though Andy hates teh shot selection
    He obviously does not pass
    He might be the first guard (6’2″ 175) that Harrow can “physically” match up with
    He should not be able to get good shots over Goodwin if Goodwin can slip past the screens
    He obviously has peoples attention
    He is likely playing roll of distraction from UK preparing for the rest of the Ole Miss Team!
    He appears to want to folllow the road that Jason Williams did at UF (attempting to throw away good bball skills)

26. HenderWho
    2:19 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone else realize we are playing Ole Miss not Marshall Henderson U? He certainly wasn’t my favorite player before but now after getting more attention than Manti Te’o I’m over it.
    Yes, he is important to their recent success, but other game factors are far more important.

27. catcrazy4sure
    2:26 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Oxford…aka: in the middle of nowhere on the way to nothing

28. NowThisIsSportsRelated
    2:48 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

This wasn’t so hard was it Aaron. Work on something fresh now.

29. Bobbum man
    3:16 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

25- yeah….. But can he dunk?

30. BurnerTurner5
    4:53 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

That arrest video of Andy Kennedy shows another prick Cincinnati cop with a crap attitude. I live in Northern Kentucky. Cincinnati cops are a-holes.

31. thats budda
    5:17 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

There’s that picture of him mudcattin that nasty fish again.

32. Rebelnation
    6:28 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Ole miss gas Marshall Henderson, Murphy holloway, who leads the SEC in rebounding, and Reginald Buckner who is second in blocked shots in the SEC so get ready