Know Your Enemy: Louisiana State Tigers

There is never a bad time to have a team that is 1-4 in conference play come play you at home. However, for our Kentucky Wildcats, I would call this a GREAT time. Coming off two games in the state of Alabama that were polar opposites, the Cats look to get their feet back under them tomorrow at Rupp Arena.

The Louisiana State University Tigers are coming to town. The only things I know about them are football related. Their football coach eats grass and their star player smoked it.

Lucky for us, this is a basketball game. Let’s get to know the Bayou Bengals. Does that sound good to you? I thought so. Let’s Know Your Enemy: Louisiana State Tigers.

Location:

Louisiana State University is located in Baton Rouge, LA. My knowledge of Baton Rouge isn’t extensive, but I do know Garth Brooks needed an operator to put him through so he could send his love there. When you really think about it, that song is incredibly dated. Now the song would be like “Hey there guy, what’s the wifi password? I need to send my love down to Baton Rouge? Hurry up, I gotta get her on Skype. I gotta talk to the girl before bedtime.”

Notable Basketball Alumni:

Peter Maravich- Known to most as “Pistol Pete”, Maravich is the all time leading scorer in NCAA Division one basketball. He scored 3,667 career points, averaging 44.2 points per game. 44.2!! And he did BEFORE THE THREE POINT LINE!!! Dale Brown went back and charted all of Maravich’s college games. He concluded that Maravich would have made 13 threes PER GAME, which would have brought his scoring average to 57 points per game.

What makes the career point total even more ridiculous is that he did it in three seasons. When Pete played, freshman weren’t allowed to play varsity. He was the SEC player of the year in each of his three seasons at LSU and in 1970 was named the Naismith and AP College Player of the Year.

Pete was picked 3rd in the 1970 NBA Draft by the Atlanta Hawks. He played 10 seasons in the NBA, averaging 24 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 assists for his career. He retired in 1980 due to chronic knee problems.

Maravich passed away in 1988 at the age of 40 during a pick up game due to a previously undetected heart defect.

Shaquille O’Neal- When he wasn’t busy making movies, rappingasking Kobe how his ass tasted, nicknaming himself, or becoming a sheriff, “Shaq” played basketball at a pretty high level.

At LSU for three seasons, Shaq averaged 21 points, 13 rebounds, and over 4 blocks PER GAME. He was drafted by the Orlando Magic with the first pick of the 1992 NBA Draft.

His basketball accomplishments are many, and they are impressive. He is a 15 time All-Star, a 4 time World Champion, a 3 time NBA Finals MVP, the 2000 NBA MVP, and 1993 Rookie of the Year, just to name a few.

He is currently part of the NBA on TNT studio crew with Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, and Kenny Smith.  He has a new show set to debut on February 21st on truTV called “Upload.” What is Upload? It’s Shaq’s version of Tosh.0 and Ridiculousness. Sounds like must-miss TV to me.

Chris Jackson- Jackson, who would later change his name to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, was one of the best college guards ever. He played two seasons at LSU, averaging 29 points and nearly 4 assists per game. He was named First Team All American and SEC Player of the Year in each of his collegiate seasons.

He was the 3rd pick in the 1990 NBA Draft by the Denver Nuggets. He played 9 years in the NBA, averaging 14.6 points per game and shooting over 90% from the free throw line.

Dance Team Scouting Report:

The LSU dance team is a long time favorite for many of us here at KSR. When some creepy old man first had the idea for dance teams, this is exactly what he had in mind. In fact, LSU’s dance team is so spectacular I’m going to stop writing about them and give you more pictures. Enjoy.

I’m not sure why that lady in the middle is wearing white, but if she’s a bride she picked out the best bridesmaid’s dresses of all time. Or maybe she’s an angel. I can operate off either assumption.

Take a moment. Breath. Continue reading. Or stay here. Just promise me you’ll breath.

Basketball History:

LSU’s dance team performs their dance routines at Pete Maravich Assembly Center. This also happens to be where LSU plays basketball. They schedule the 1st half before the dance team’s performance and the 2nd half after the performance. It’s weird for the main event to happen in the middle, but Les Miles eats grass. LSU isn’t exactly a “normal” place.

Their basketball history is quite good. From 1979-1993, LSU missed only two NCAA tournaments, yet won only one SEC Tourney in this time period (1980).  They have 20 all time NCAA appearances, 9 Sweet Sixteens’s, 6 Elite Eights,  and 4 Final Four appearances. Their most recent Final Four was in 2006, a team that featured Glen “Big Baby I’ll Eat Everything I See” Davis and Tyrus Thomas. In 2009 Marcus Thornton led the Tigers to the SEC regular season crown, their 10th in history.

When I think of LSU basketball, I think of Dale Brown. When I think of Dale Brown, I think of the first SEC tournament I ever attended. It was 1992. We were in Birmingham and Shaq had just been thrown out of the game for fighting a Tennessee player in a quarterfinal game. Dale Brown was outraged at the refs and was going crazy. The crowd was booing him and yelling at him. All of a sudden a chant broke out across the arena… Light as first. “throw dale out, throw dale Out, throw Dale Out!” Then it grew. Quickly. Soon it was booming in the arena. “THROW DALE OUT! THROW DALE OUT! THROW DALE OUT!!” I honestly don’t remember if he was tossed or not. It didn’t matter. As a young kid, this chanting thing was awesome to me.

Since then, I’ve associated LSU basketball with two things; the “THROW DALE OUT” chant in Birmingham and the 31 point comeback my brother and I stayed up to watch even though we were supposed to be in bed.

Coach:

Full disclosure: Until right now I had no idea who was coaching LSU’s basketball team. Then I saw his name. And I STILL HAD NO IDEA.

His name is Johnny Jones, which I must say is a pretty awesome name.  Johnny Jones is one of those names where you always say the full name when referring to the person. Johnny Jones, a longtime LSU assistant under Dale Brown (’84-’97), was at North Texas from 2001-2012. Johnny Jones led the Mean Green to two NCAA tournaments during his tenure, and from 2007-2011 Johnny Jones and the Mean Green put together five straight 20 win seasons.

Johnny Jones played his college basketball at LSU and competed as a freshman in the 1981 Final Four.  Johnny Jones will bring his current LSU team into Rupp Arena with a 10-6 (1-4 SEC) record.

Last Meeting:

The last meeting between these two teams occurred in March of 2012 at the SEC Tournament in New Orleans. The game was won 60-51 by your Wildcats.  MKG led the way with 19 points, while Terrence Jones and Anthony Davis both provided double-doubles. Speaking of double-doubles at last year’s SEC tourney, Bourbon Street provided it’s share.

Summary:

UK should and will win this game. Will you think, “we can’t beat anyone”, at times? Yes. Will you think, “they’re getting it!”, at times? Yes. In reality, we are still somewhere in between. Try not to let it frustrate you. After all, it’s the weekend. No matter the outcome, play the KSR drinking game and you’ll be primed and ready for a great night out on the town doing whatever you like to do. If you’re staying in, just google image search “LSU dance team.” Can’t go wrong there.

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

29 Comments for Know Your Enemy: Louisiana State Tigers

1. Grammar 101
    8:06 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

“Take a moment. [Breathe]. Continue reading. Or stay here. Just promise me you’ll [breathe].”

2. Frew Dranklin
    8:20 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

At least Flener didn’t mention The Bachelor. Or never seeing a nude woman before.

3. for real
    8:31 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

i call BS on 13 3’s a game … really

4. Darius Miller is not Walking through that Door
    8:42 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Obviously, opposing teams would have guarded Pistol Pete more heavily behind the arc if there was an arc back then; therefore, he would not have made 13 threes a game.

5. Roland
    8:53 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Dale Brown Can sling a sportscoat to center circle like noone else.
    I like Dale brown as a coach and his entertainment value.

take 2

6. Roland
    8:54 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

1st didn’t show til after I posted the 2nd. damn wordpress

7. ain't barn
    8:55 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

i saw pete at a motel in pidgeon forge while there with my family about six months before his death. we went to breakfast the morning after we arrived at a little restaurant right next door and there was pete, his wife and 2 kids at the table next to ours. he was in a warmup suit holding a newspaper wide with both hands. i was the only person in the place who knew who he was. for those who never saw him play they missed the greatest college scorer of all time. he was flat out awesome and will never be matched

8. schwing
    8:58 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

possibly the worst misspelling ever – “sixteens’ s.” are you effing kidding me?

9. ain't barn
    9:01 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

4*so you think the opposition just let him stand at midcourt and jack up 3’s (what would be 3s today)? he could score from anywhere, anyway.

10. Ed
    9:06 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

That 31 point game was in afternoon

11. hardin long
    9:09 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

i’ll take the ugly cheerleaders and sexinnursinghome can have the others

12. fireants25
    9:16 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

ok Pistols number are just retarded good and will never be broken…if there was a 3 line he would have made 13 3s a game for his career are you serious im stunned I knew he was unreal but thats like I have no words…oh and their dance team is prob the hottest iv ever seen! omg

13. uktrackstar
    9:18 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

I got to see The Pistol in Memorial up close every year, including against the Kittens as a frosh.
    There is literally no way to know how many points he would have scored in our era. And, I mean how MANY!
    As Aaron rightly points out, as so few others do, only 3 years, no treys AND no shot clock.
    Opposing cowardly coaches (yes, I am looking directly at you, Dean Smith) could run some four corners junk offense to shorten the entire game to hold him down.
    Coach Rupp had the right idea.
    He just let Pete get all he wanted, had our heroes lock down the other guys and we “whomped” them every time.
    I remember a game, maybe my junior year when Pete went off for 64 against the Issel, Casey and Pratt team.
    Issel scored in the mid-forties and UK won going away by about twenty.
    Speaking of Issel, he’s another one who would have scored a helluva lot more under the new rules and he’s still our all time number one!
    Pete was a basketball savant and a showman.
    If opposing coaches agreed, he would put on a one-man circus act before tip-off. You had to see it to believe it.
    He was a one man Globetrotters team.
    He was also rail then.
    The pros just knocked him around brutally.
    He still had amazing games, but the League beat him down.
    He has to be on any sane person’s list of Top Ten college players, maybe Top Five for me.
    Pistol Pete is dead.
    Long live Pistol Pete!

14. fireants25
    9:19 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

#9 haha nice…#4 i mean really come on

15. uktrackstar
    9:23 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Oops, Pete was rail THIN.
    Let’s not let anyone know this jock got an Honors English degree from THE University of Kentucky.
    Mea culpa.

16. Cats,Cats,Cats
    10:00 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

#10, pretty sure it was a night game.

17. ain't barn
    10:15 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

13*i think issel had 51 points in that game. pete scored 50+ points against UK three times while at lsu but never beat the cats. anyone who never saw pete play can’t imagine how spectacular he was

18. holler baller
    10:23 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

The Pistol was from the future. Its a fact.

19. timer
    10:43 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Pistol Pete was the best college basketball player I’ve ever seen. It’s big news when someone scores 40 against a major university today. He averaged over 44 per game for three years. Amazing.

20. RealCatsFan
    10:52 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Haters want to trash Cal, saying he just gets future pros and rolls the ball out, but look at Dale Brown. He had Shaq for 3 years, not to mention Chris Jackson and Stanley Roberts among others, and still could not bring home the hardware. It would be like Cal getting to have John Wall, Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins for three years.

21. Bulldawg
    12:21 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

the 31 point come back game was definitely a night game #10. Next time you correct somebody, make sure you know what you are talking about… all I gotta say is, that game was UNFORGETTABLE!!!!!!

22. Steve
    7:55 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

1. February 21, 1970 Kentucky at LSU (Sr.)

This Saturday afternoon coast-to-coast telecast placed the floppy-socked Pete into the national conscience. It was all on display: the no-look passes, behind the back dribbling, and the wild shooting. In his final home game at LSU the Pistol hit 55% of his shots for a total of 64 points. But Dan Isle pumped in 51 for Kentucky who defeated the overmatched Tigers 121-105. One of the most legendary shootouts in basketball history.

I was 14 and watched it on TV.

23. Steve
    7:56 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

Can’t believe the website Pistol Pete 23 misspelled Issel’s name.

24. RobCary
    8:35 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

Pistol was the best I ever saw. Could do unbelievable things and was a magician with the b’ball.

25. Bill says
    8:57 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

# 13 ED you are thinking about the time LSU beat UK. The 31 point game where UK beat LSU was definately at night. I started to go to bed also but for some reason I did not. Pitino’s team came back from a 31 point deficet. Let’s not forget Bob Petit, he was great player, played a lot like Issel. He could hit the outside shot and if you took the fake he would drive to the basket. Several years in the NBA.Bob Petit one of the all time greats from LSU. Bob playes on the same St Louis Hawks team with Cliff Hagan.

26. jobob
    10:57 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

27. Roland
    12:43 pm January 26, 2013 Permalink

LSU Dance Team, “Hot” but NOT breathe taking. See a doctor, if you have trouble breathing

28. CAUKFAN
    4:13 pm January 26, 2013 Permalink

The redhead is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Ed has Tickets
    4:50 pm January 26, 2013 Permalink

Wooderson says……”love those Redheads”