Know Your Enemy: Little Brother

Mosley, a KSR founding father, once had a feature entitled “Know Your Enemy” in order for UK fans to be fully informed about their next opponent. While Mosley has moved on to bigger and better things, our enemies continue to be part of our life.  I want to keep us prepared on a game-by-game basis.

“Tis best to weigh the enemy more mighty than he seems.” -Bill Shakespeare

Sometimes I envy out of state Kentucky fans. Sometimes I don’t. It’s give and take. Out of staters aren’t close to the majority of the Big Blue Nation, but at least they don’t have to deal with Louisville fans on a daily basis. Louisville fans eat where I eat. Louisville fans drive where I drive. I can’t even get away from Louisville fans at family christmas.

Their L1C4-ness is everywhere trying to impress me like my little brother when he first learned to blow a bubble and tie his shoes. My brother was adorable because he was a UK fan. Louisville fans are annoying because they are not UK fans.  Louisville fans want our approval like my little brother, only they haven’t done anything impressive since before my little brother was born.

Speaking of little brothers… Since Louisville’s last title my little brother has earned 2 majors, gotten married, and had a baby. In that same time, Rick Pitino has earned two final fours, cheated on his wife, and not kept a baby.

I realize that last joke was a bit harsh, and I almost didn’t include it.  But I thought, “What would Karen Sypher do?” She’d definitely say “keep it in”.

You know these guys pretty well, but let’s freshen up our knowledge. It’s time to Know Your Enemy. The Louisville Little Brothers.

Here we go.

Location:

The University of Louisville is located in Louisville, KY. Louisville is home to a 50/50 split of UK & UL fans.  In related news, 50% of Louisville residents choose to cheer for an inferior program. You’ll figure out which 50% I’m talking about, they wear red clothing and draw their facial hair using a stencil and a sharpie.

Louisville plays in the KFC Yum! Center in downtown Louisville. The Yum! Center is a concert venue that allows Louisville to play and practice basketball during the season. Justin Bieber played a show there recently that Tom Crean enjoyed a lot. A whole lot.

Notable people associated with Louisville:

Diane Sawyer- A native of Glasgow, KY, Diane Sawyer is one of the most recognizable ladies in the media. She spent some time in law school at U of L but didn’t finish. She is presently the anchor of ABC World News. It is there that she covers the news. Of the world. On ABC.

During the recent election, Sawyer was accused of being drunk on air during late night coverage. She, like most celebrities, claimed exhaustion. I don’t think anyone here cares either way. Keep doing your thing Diane from Glasgow.

Earl Clark and Terrence Williams- These gents play in the NBA (sometimes). But they aren’t notable.

Cheerleader Scouting Report:

I couldn’t find a good picture of Louisville’s cheerleaders. But it doesn’t matter. We’re not allowed to like them because they cheer for Louisville. I actually know a Louisville cheerleader. She is very pretty and nice. But Saturday I don’t like her.

The most notable thing a Louisville cheerleader has ever done was this:

Basketball History:

As you can see, this is an old picture as it only features the first two national championships Louisville won… What’s that? They’ve only won two, you say? They haven’t won one single title since 1986?

Wow. That’s embarrassing. I’m sure they’ve won plenty of them on X-BOX though, right?

Coach:

I have Rick Pitino to thank for two of my favorite past times. Loving Kentucky and hating Louisville.  Pitino took the Kentucky job as my formative years as a Kentucky fan were beginning. He played a style that was fun to watch and we won. We won a lot. I was hooked for life.

I’d never liked Louisville in my early years, but I didn’t hate them with the fervor that I currently do until Pitino came back. I would’ve always had hard feelings towards Rick for leaving UK, but those hard feelings wouldn’t have turned into hate had he not returned to coach Louisville. The only thing he’s said that I’ve ever believed was “I did. Down my leg.” And then a road trip to Cincinnati proved that to be untrue.

Players:

Russ Smith- I posted Wednesday night about Russ and his grits. We have to hope Russ doesn’t heat up Saturday because he can score in bunches. He comes in averaging just under 20 points per game and 3 rebounds, assists, and steals.  Kentucky has got to find someone to slow him down. Possibly someone who is old and crafty, like Russ. “Paging Julius Mays, paging Uncle Mays.”

Peyton Siva- It’s no secret to you that Siva is 0-4 against the Cats in his career. Only Rick Pitino wants this game more. Siva is averaging over 11 points and 6 assists, exactly what you want from your point guard. His Dad is averaging 0 undershirts,

exactly what you want from your huge jersey wearing Dads.

Chane Behanan- Unfortunately for KSR, Behanan has been banned from speaking to the media so far this season.  Last season he infamously announced that Louisville would be “going undefeated. Point blank. Period.” As you know, they did not go undefeated. Shall we talk about their final loss last year?

We shall. Let’s proceed.

Last Meeting:

The last meeting between the Louisville Cardinals and your University of Kentucky Wildcats occurred in New Orleans, Louisiana. The game was played March 31st, 2012 at the Superdome. The final score was UK 69- UL 61.

Kentucky was led by none other than Anthony Davis, who scored 18 points, collected 14 rebounds, and swatted 5 shots.Darius Miller (13 points) and Doron Lamb (10 points) also found themselves in double figures.

Soon after this game was the twitter birth of @LexingtonCouch.

Summary:

It’s simple. We don’t like them. They don’t like us. Those two things will NEVER change. And that’s what makes it exciting. That’s what makes it matter. No one wants the people they live around and work with everyday to have to upper hand on them. However, Kentucky fans, win or lose, don’t worry. We’ve got the upper hand. We always will. We are the big brother. They are the little brother. The proof is in the twitter.

*If you’re going to be in Nashville, join myself and the UK Alumni Club at Corner Pub in Midtown for the game. It was standing room only last year so get there early.

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

36 Comments for Know Your Enemy: Little Brother

1. Heisenberg
    5:09 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

I disagree, I think Becca Mann’s was more notable then that, but that’s just one man’s opinion

2. Bob Sugar
    5:14 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

1) exactly right… And the cats are going to win this game by double digits

3. Jughead
    5:15 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Siva’s dad is a fat, addicted tool who climbed aboard the Peyton train for the drug money. What a puke. Gotta love guys who abandon their kids for a crack pipe.

4. I make myself look good
    5:19 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

I am tired of hearing about Cal talking so highly of the opponent when he knows there is a chance we can lose. Saying that Louisville should be the team to win it all is ridiculous!! This happens every time we have a rivalry game. That way if we win it is a bonus to his team and if we lose he can so told you so.

5. Nathan
    5:27 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

4) Hate to tell you but UL actually does have a really good shot at winning it all this year, which totally sucks!

6. Nathan
    5:29 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Oh, and by the way, the “keep it in” quote might be the funniest thing I’ve ever read.

7. M. Pellizerrific
    5:29 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Louisville wins this one by 25.

8. chief_cat
    5:38 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Last time U of L had six in the draft?? Vietnam conflict

9. KY Realist
    5:45 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Nerlens Noel is the kwame brown of college basketball.

10. UKBlue
    5:50 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Over Under the ACC falls apart before or right after UL officially joins? Answer: It’s extremely high. UL doesn’t have to worry about having 9 conference games in the ACC.

11. deleted
    5:52 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

You deleted the best part of the post… “keep it in”…

12. Reality Check
    5:56 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

10) What is the over under on how many more years uk collects their welfare checks from the SEC. you are the rectal cavity in football and the only school that cares about basketball. congratulations.

13. Heisenberg
    6:03 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

#12 your tears taste so good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM

14. SeoulCat
    6:12 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Actually, if you want to see the most notable thing a Louisville cheerleader has ever done, do a Google image search for Becca Manns.

15. red headed step child
    6:25 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Here ‘s some reality #12. Your on a blog site for the opposing team. Your team hasn’t won anything of note since Pitino had elasticity in his nut sac
    Now his nuts just hang in the wind like a
    Wind chime on a September’s summer evenings

16. jaws2
    6:32 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

I still don’t get the bows on those heads. Looks like a 6th grade parochial school!

17. UL2UK8
    6:41 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Reality is that UL has not won a title since the 3-pt shot has been in college basketball.

18. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    6:42 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

I expect UK to win, and I hope the players do also.

19. UK WINS RICK SLAUGHTERS ANOTHER KID AFTER HE IMPREGNATES ANOTHER THINGS STAY BIZ AS USUAL
    6:51 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

UK EASILY WINS LOSERVILLE KNOWS IT

20. bob
    7:48 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

losers

21. bob
    7:51 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Making fun of Siva’s Dad…class. Well, his son will walk away with a 3.4 GPA and a diploma. Probably more than your Dad if you know who he is…enjoy the game tomorrow..UK 61 UL 73. Also good luck in your bowl game…oh sorry I forgot

22. Reality Cheek
    7:55 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

#12,

if UuhK is the rectal cavity, then you, lil bro, Uaveliallian, are the foul smelling, impacted, rotting turd clogging the toilet that is the Big least.

Ahh, the Big least: A former joke of a football conference which rapidly dissolved into the fecal abyss which it was.

23. Sugar Bowl
    7:59 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

When will the cayuts play in a BCS game?

24. KyTom
    8:11 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

#1, THAT’S exactly what I was thinking. Mr Flener needs to do a Google search. We will then see a retraction.

25. KyTom
    8:12 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

#23 When they move to a CRAP conference with an automatic tie in.

26. JR
    8:23 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Sivas dad is and older version of Batista. If you watched wrestling 10 years ago youll know what Im talking about.

27. bob
    8:32 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

#25..UK would have been at bottom of ‘crap conference” so it really would not matter…so far “crap conference ” has not lost a bowl game…

28. Jason
    8:33 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

21- What we’re talking about is the media’s obsession last year about the “success” of Siva’s dad’s “recovery.” Well, guess what? He had a major relapse. That’s what addicts do. So why hasn’t the media reported that?

29. red headed step child
    8:47 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Come on Tards, you know you backed into this bowl game. You can complain about big bro sucking in football but after this season look out. Cant wait to see how well uLoL plays against fifth best team in SEC.
    Want talk about receiving welfare check…….4 days left unless you have tickets at CUM center, big bro will be purchasing seats

30. Won Hung Lo - In Japan
    8:55 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Won Hung Lo still laugh at Cum center.haw haw haw.
    Won Hung Lo big UK basketball fan.
    Cousin, Won Hung Hi, play soccer at the U of L. He say UK better basketball than the U of L.
    Won Hung Hi know lot about basketball.
    Cum center. haha haha that good one # 29.

31. James
    9:14 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

I HATE LOUISVILLE! They make me wanna puke! I hope we beat em like florida is gonna beat em in that bowl game.

32. bob
    9:18 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

#29…after this season..I believe we heard that with your last 4 coaches. Western and UofL will both beat you next year. I didn’t know we had the 5th best team in SEC on our schedule..who are they?

33. Tought I Saw A Puddy Cat
    9:27 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Tweety Bird said, “I tawt I taw a puddy tat. I did,I did taw a puudy cat.” Den he wan away…poor scared birdie.

34. Cawood Ledford
    9:39 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Teague, Lamb, Harrelson, Liggins, Orton, Wall (current status), Knight also play in the NBA. They aren’t notable either. Cousins is certainly notable, though — for being a head-case and future inmate at San Quintin.

35. Talethoseonionsoffmysliders
    9:45 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

Cal beating little Ricky again, Florida chomping on uofsmell football team & Charlie (not so) Strong and uofsmell being sued for a cover up all in one week!!!! Life is TRULY Great!!!!

36. Big Cat
    11:29 pm December 28, 2012 Permalink

32. Florida you frikkin tard moron. Now I gotta go, your sister wants me…