Know YOUR Enemy: Lipscomb Bisons

Mosley, a KSR founding father, once had a feature entitled “Know Your Enemy” in order for UK fans to be fully informed about their next opponent. While Mosley has moved on to bigger and better things, our enemies continue to be part of our life.  I want to keep us prepared on a game-by-game basis.

“Tis best to weigh the enemy more mighty than he seems.” -Bill Shakespeare

Today I come to you in an odd predicament. My alma mater is scheduled to play my lifelong favorite team. A team I write about. A team I’ve traveled all over our country to watch. A team I watched win a national championship eight months ago.

Making it even weirder is the fact that I am traveling with Lipscomb’s team to Lexington, eating meals with them, and staying in their team hotel.  After the game, I’m riding the bus back with them.

All that being said, we here at Know Your Enemy have one job and one job only. That job is to get you, Kentucky fans, prepared for each and every opponent on the schedule. Just because I went to Lipscomb doesn’t mean we take this week off. However, just to be clear; Lipscomb is YOUR enemy. Not mine. The vitriol with which I often go at the opposition won’t be included today. Just letting you know. Let’s get started.

Location:

Lipscomb is located in Nashville, TN in the Green Hills area south of downtown.  Guys, when your wife or girlfriend goes to Nashville to shop, Green Hills is one of the places they go. Besides the shopping, Green Hills is most well known for it’s traffic.

Lipscomb is home to approximately 2,700 undergraduate students. In 2002 when we weren’t in class you could find us in our dorm room playing mario kart on nintendo 64 or hooping it up in the SAC (student activity center). I’m not sure what students do now. Text messaging exists. It didn’t then. Current college students, think about your life without texting. How would you communicate with others?

Lipscomb plays it’s home games on campus in 5,000 seat Allen Arena. The arena also plays hosts to concerts and speakers on occasion. Phil, Kay, and Si, of “Duck Dynasty” will be headlining an event at the arena in April of 2013. The arena has also played host to Bill Cosby and Sinbad.

Notable Alumni:

Jim Jinkins- This is not a picture of Jim Jinkins. This is a picture of Doug Funnie. Jim Jinkins, a 1975 graduate of Lipscomb University, created the Doug series and sold it to Nickelodeon. If you are younger than 25, you probably have no idea what I’m talking about and have no appreciation for Patti Mayonnaise and Skeeter Valentine.

Marty Roe- The mullet belonging to Marty Roe, the lead singer of Diamond Rio, got it’s start at Lipscomb University. Diamond Rio had five number one singles including “Meet in the Middle”, “One More Day”, and “Beautiful Mess.”  Though you don’t hear much from Diamond Rio anymore, they’ll be playing at Wagon Wheel Theater in Warsaw, Indiana on 12-31-12 to celebrate New Year’s Eve and say goodbye to the year Indiana made the Sweet 16.

Dustin Lynch- A former golf teammate of mine and a 2007 graduate of Lipscomb, Dustin Lynch has recently burst onto the country music scene. You may have seen him play a show or two in Lexington over the past two years. Dustin made waves with his first single “Cowboys and Angels” and recently released his second single, “She Cranks My Tractor.”  He is signed with Jason Aldean’s Broken Bow label and will be touring in 2013 with Keith Urban & Little Big Town. Life could be worse, I guess.

Cheerleading Scouting Report:

I most likely know people who know these cheerleaders. I’m going to sit this section out. We’re done here.

Basketball History:

Lipscomb is a member of the Atlantic Sun conference.
Before becoming a member of NCAA division one, Lipscomb was always a major player in the NAIA. They have a rich history on that level and had arguably the most popular summer basketball camp in the nation. The decision in 1999 to move to division one was opposed by legendary coach Don Meyer and resulted in him leaving the school.

Since joining division one, Lipscomb has a 176-179 record and has yet to reach the NCAA tourney.  They have won the Atlantic Sun regular season crown on two occasions (2006, 2010) and have one NIT appearance in 2006.

Coach:

Scott Sanderson- Sanderson is starting his 14th year as the head coach of Lipscomb University.  He was hired away from Mobile in 1999 as Lipscomb made the transition to division one. He played his college basketball at South Carolina and is the son of former Alabama head coach Wimp Sanderson. You know, the guy that used to wear the plaid jackets.

Though Sanderson hasn’t taken the Bisons to the promised land of the NCAA tourney, he represents the university in a way the administration desires. Now that Belmont has moved on to the OVC, I’ve got to think Lipscomb’s time to dance is coming soon.

Players:

Lipscomb has 11 players averaging at least 9 minutes per game. It’s pointless to pinpoint a couple of them. They will be in and out of the game too much for you to ever know one certain person’s name. They have three players averaging in double figures, the most exciting and streaky of which is #4 Deonte Alexander. I watched the game they played against Murray State and he either has the biggest green light I’ve ever seen or he cares nothing about traffic regulations. Lipscomb will be undersized against Kentucky, but their players will play hard. If they don’t, they’ll be replaced by one of the ten other players that play regular minutes.  Lipscomb has a set of twins. They have the same last name and they look alike.

*Also of note, Lipscomb’s players have their last names under their number on the back of their jerseys. This may not matter to you, I just didn’t want you to be caught off guard. You’re welcome.

Last Meeting:

The last time these two teams met on the court was on November 14, 2005. Kentucky won the game 67-49, but it was a two point game with 12 minutes left in the 2nd half. Kentucky was led by a guy named Rajon Rondo. I think you’ve heard of him. He had 19 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 assists. Lipscomb’s Eddie Ard was the game’s high scorer with 22.

Summary:

Kentucky should win this game. No doubt about it. I’m anxious, as you are, to see how Kentucky plays after dealing with finals and having a week off from games. I’d expect them to come out a bit sluggish at the tip and then get into the flow. Lipscomb is not overly athletic, therefore I look for this to be a Kyle Wiltjer breakout game. I predict 20 plus points.

I’m excited for Lipscomb to get to play in this environment and can’t thank Coach Sanderson & Coach Senters enough for allowing me to tag along on the trip. Lucky for me, I’m attending this game as a member of the media and will not be allowed to cheer one way or the other.

We are on the bus now headed to Lexington where Lipscomb will practice and go over the scouting report. I will be documenting and tweeting about the trip. Follow me on twitter if you want updates (@AFlenerKSR).

As far as the bus goes, it has wifi. I don’t know if wifi is common on busses now because I don’t ride a lot of busses. But I do know this; If you are ever offered a bus with wifi or a bus without wifi, take the one with wifi. It’s newer and probably has a cleaner bathroom.

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

29 Comments for Know YOUR Enemy: Lipscomb Bisons

1. TERRIBLE
    1:06 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Prayers for Conncticut families!!

2. Alamo_CatFan
    1:21 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

As a father of elementary age kids – horrific is the only word.

3. Grammar Rocks!
    1:22 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Multiple Bison are referred to as Bison…the word Bisons doesn’t exist. They could have been one of those cool “non-S” teams like Stanford or Marshall…fail.

4. Sally Field's Ghost
    1:26 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if Chuck and/or Billy will be at this game?

5. Keep Rock
    1:28 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Anybody else think this is a big game for our shaky confidence. We need to put on a good game Need for Harrow to get it going and go in to conference play feeling good about himself. Harrow could be the key to being a good team and contrary to the negative Nacy’s out there he can play, just lost his confidence. I hope he would watch film of Epps and Turner and see how to run a team.
    Harrow reminds me a lot of Turner with him game. He like Turner can get to the rim and make things happen. Some may forget but Turner wasn’t lights out early in his career. He had some struggles. I remember a lot of call in shows wanting to ship him back to Boston

6. BLUE BLY
    1:34 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

UK BY A MILLION!!!

7. Claw
    1:35 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

just glad to be here clark

8. Will S
    1:35 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Off topic but significant — http://bustingbrackets.com/2012/12/11/recruiting-source-tyus-jones-jahlil-okafor-like-duke/ — Okafor and Jones leaning towards Duke

9. Sin The's Wavepool
    1:44 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

As a kid I went to their basketball camp and it was first class. Don Meyer was a coaching legend God rest his soul. BTW, the Duck Dynasty crew are all prominent members in the Church of Christ thus their speaking at LU.

10. Jughead
    1:44 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Lipscomb is a fine school, but obviously cannot hang. Just hope the Cats show improvement.

On another note, glad that strict CT handgun control worked. Schools have become Victim Disarmament Zones, thanks to progressives.

11. SexnNursinHomes
    1:45 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

8- cool story man. Did you know that Karl Towns picked UK over dook?

Jones looks like a whiny Austin Rivers type. They look similar too. Wonder if Jones will learn to flop like Rivers?

12. Jughead
    1:45 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

My kids went to Don Meyers’ camps at Lipscomb–fantastic. Way better than your average summer sports camp.

13. hey now
    1:47 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

I’m 23 and I loved Doug as a kid. Just saying.

14. GapToothDanny
    2:03 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

A. Doug?
    B. some of the cheerleaders are dead ringers for the ones in the “Hey Mickey” video
    C. God, I miss Wimp Sanderson…has it really been 20 years?! He could make the best “mad Coach face”, also loved it when he stomped his wingtips…

15. omegastu
    2:06 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

@AFlenerKSR – tell Coach Senters hello…

16. LU Grad, UK Fan
    2:33 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

9 – Don Meyer is still alive. He almost died a few years ago after a car wreck and a battle with cancer, but he made it through.

I am very excited to be going to this game. I hope LU doesn’t get blown out too badly, but I have a feeling they will.

17. Austin
    3:14 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Doug was an awesome show and I’m 18 so you might want to knock that age down a little bit

18. WAGON WHEEL THEATRE
    4:28 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Actually the Director of Operations at the Wagon Wheel (Me) is a former UK student, who listens to the show every day (and has called in once) and hates living here. Thanks for the publicity on the concert. Anyone want to come see Diamond Rio on New Year’s Eve? I can hook you up!

19. Jughead
    4:35 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

UK grad, former musician. Opened for Diamond Rio when their first hit was on radio. Those guys are unbelievable musicians…I mean, really good. Jimmy Olander is the same pedigree as Chet Atkins.

20. WAGON WHEEL THEATRE
    4:38 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

#19 are you in Lexington?

21. Fake Larry Redmon
    4:45 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

That Patty Mayonaise was a fox. I’d like to get her in my hot tub.

22. Paducah Cat
    4:50 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

#3 They spell their mascot namewith a S. So take your proper grammar and shove it D-bag!! Fail!!!!!

23. ksr fan
    5:07 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

I’m pretty sure the Cheerleading Coach is hotter than the actual Cheerleaders.

24. CatBlue in LR
    6:35 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

resulting in HIS leaving the school. The 1999 decision… resulted in HIS leaving the school, not him leaving the school.

25. Nashcatfan
    6:51 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

No offense to the author but Lipscomb is lame-o. Curfews for the dorms. That doesn’t mean opposite sex can’t be in your room. It means bed check. You better not be anywhere else. Caught drinking or rumors of fornication? On campus or off campus…Expelled. Most of the grads marry the first person they bang then get divorced by 24 when they are ready to start thinking for themselves. On that note, if the Bison can channel all of that repression and frustration into a single game at Rupp…who knows???

26. Nashcatfan
    6:53 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

The reason Lipscomb has made the tourney. Church of Christ doesn’t believe in dancing. Ba dum dum. The Big Dance? Get it? Never mind.

27. Nashcatfan
    6:54 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Er…*hasn’t

28. Jughead
    8:29 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Not in Lexington anymore, in Nashville. And for you Lipscomb haters–maybe this friggin country needs some damn dignity and discipline. What we are now ain’t workin…..

29. Jughead