Know Your Enemy: Baylor University

Remember back with me to last year during the Sweet Sixteen in Atlanta. Are you there in your mind yet? No? What about now? Still no? Now? Yes? Okay, good. Remember that adorable group of people using neon shirts as a buddy system so they wouldn’t lose each other? I thought it was a big family reunion. Turns out, those were Baylor fans! Makes a lot more sense now, doesn’t it?

Baylor comes into Rupp Arena sporting a 4-2 record and is fresh off a home loss to perennial college basketball powerhouse College of Charleston. Even Billy Gillispie thinks that was a bad home loss. To say Baylor is coming in with a lot of momentum would be a blatant disregard for fact.

Location:

Baylor University is located in the sprawling metropolis of Waco, Texas.  It is a common vacation destination for our former coach, as the Dr. Pepper Museum is located in Waco.  Waco is considered the “Dr. Pepper Capital of the World.”

I’m not sure what else you could hope to learn today.

How about this? Jennifer Love Hewitt and Steve Martin were born in Waco. On different days, of course. Both quickly moved away after birth. I can’t blame them.

Notable Alumni:

Willie Nelson- The “Red Headed Stranger” lives in Maui. Because if you could, why wouldn’t you?  His music is almost as legendary as his pigtails and pot smoking.  He is a true American icon.

Michael Johnson- Once known as the fastest man in the world, Johnson ran track for Baylor.  After leaving Baylor he won 4 Olympic gold medals and wore some fancy gold shoes while doing so.

Robert Griffin III- Seen here “Griffining”, RG3 was a Heisman Trophy winner at Baylor and was the 2nd pick of the 2012 NFL draft for the Washington Redskins. He is an exciting player who is not scared to take a hit. Almost to a fault.

Cheerleading Scouting Report:

Out of all the things done well at Baylor, their ability to assemble an attractive group of girls to lead cheers is second to none. If I had a stamp that said “KSR approved”, I wouldn’t stamp the picture, but I’d be glad to have the stamp.

Basketball History:

Let’s just say the Dave Bliss era didn’t go well. Everyone has things in their past they aren’t proud of. Generally, we at KSR poke some fun at those things. But there are some things that you steer clear of like a leper colony. Player on player murder is one of those things. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, read about it here.

If you asked a 16 year old about Baylor, they’d probably think Baylor was a very decent basketball program. Since 2008, Baylor has been to three NCAA tournaments and 2 Elite Eights. However, Baylor has only had SEVEN tournament appearances all-time. While they’ve experienced recent success, their history is pretty poor.

Also of note, they played in the 1948 title game. Some Kentucky team won.

Coach:

Scott Drew- After the 2003 scandal, Drew took over for Bliss. He had a mess on his hands.  He has gone 148-118 in his time with the Bears. He is the son of Homer Drew, the former coach at Valpo. He is the brother to Bryce, the current coach at Valpo.

He has led the Bears to two Elite Eights (2010, 2012) and dug the Baylor program out of a hole that seemed insurmountable. Like him or not, you’ve got to give him credit for doing a job not many wanted to take on.

Players:

Pierre Jackson- Not trying to steal Chris Thomas’ “Game Faces” thunder here, but I see a bit of Carlton from “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” in Pierre Jackson. I bet he can’t do the dance as well as our man Jorts.

Isaiah Austin- As a freshman, Austin is averaging 14 points and 8 rebounds.  Austin was not a part of the Elite Eight team last year. In fact, he won’t be part of one this year either.

Last Meeting:

As I mentioned earlier, Kentucky and Baylor last met 7 months ago at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.  The Elite Eight match up was never close and the Cats ended up taking care of Baylor and their neon uniforms 82-70. It was during this game that I experienced the most frightening moment I’ve had in 2012. (Not including my two trips to New Orleans.)  During the second half Perry Jones’ III knee and Anthony Davis’ knee came together and Anthony laid on the baseline holding his knee for what seemed like an eternity. I was afraid #8 was laying on the ground alongside him. I was scared.

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN”T WATCHED THE 2012 TOURNEY YET:

He soon would get up, walk it off, and Kentucky would go to win the title.

Summary:

Neither team is coming in on a roll. Kentucky’s loss to Notre Dame Thursday night was one of the ugliest game’s I’ve seen in the Calipari era. Poythress and Goodwin getting in foul trouble in the first half was devastating. They are two guys that I feel can go get a basket in the half court. If Wiltjer isn’t making threes, it’s tough to keep him on the floor.

The Cats need to play well tomorrow. They need to get a win.  We struggled in the road environment last night, so I encourage all of you going to the game to bring your A game and make it a tough environment for Baylor. Let’s get this thing back on track.

Go Cats.

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

28 Comments for Know Your Enemy: Baylor University

1. mocha
    1:01 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

930am start saturday here on the west coast! getting up awfully early to watch this beatdown by kentucky

2. Shimsky
    1:08 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

I am going to lose it if these thugs pound our sweet virgin aishes.

3. Digger
    1:11 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

I dont always sing autographs but when I do, I do it sitting spread eagle.

4. KernWhiskey
    1:17 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Hay ya’ll, we best not get too excited. This here Baylor team might put an end to ole Calps undefeated streak at Rupps (and I know about those, ask my first wife Pearlene about them streaks in my unders)

5. JoeBFanClub
    1:17 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

You have one notable Baylor Alum you have failed to mention:

Our very own US Senator Rand Paul

6. Rockfield, KY
    1:21 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe there were no David Koresh jokes

7. RGIII
    1:24 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

UK’s 3rd loss of the season.

8. Rand Paul is a Jackass
    1:24 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

5. We dont want people to notice he represents KY. Coo-Coo…….Coo-Coo

9. Oogie
    1:25 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Besides Jackson, anybody left from the Baylor team that AD, MKG and company humiliated last year in the Elite 8? If so they oughta be pretty motivated.

10. RealCatsFan
    1:32 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Hope your wrong, #7, but they will have to get sh!t right in a hurry.

Is there any way to pick up the radio call of the game while inside Rupp? Would love to listen to Leach while watching it live. Would be even better if I could get it on my smart phone, but IHeart is blocked during home games, apparently.

11. bluefan
    1:32 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Let’s get December off to a good start. Go Cats!!

12. concerned citizen
    1:40 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

did someone forget to upload the 2nd hour of today’s podcast?

13. jcatron
    1:49 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

8,7,6,4,5,2,3,1

14. lawnorder
    1:57 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

If UK get beat saturday…that damn Tubby!

15. PsychOfMSE
    1:59 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

How can you have a post about baylor and not include the crazy dancing fan from the tourney?

16. Henrycocat
    2:00 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

RealCatsFan, you can usually catch the game on Iheart by going to the power country stream from somerset

17. mudcreekmark
    2:04 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think I would get on here and brag about how we’re going to kick anyones ass. If we play like we did against ND, I don’t know many teams that we could actually beat. We are terrible right now. Cal has got his work cut out for him. How could anyone watch Noel blocking shots in high school and think he was the best shot blocker coming out since Greg Oden? He has no idea how to play defense and his timing is terrible. All anyone has to do is give a fake and he is out of the play all together.Pierre Jackson will kill us if we don’t do a better job of keeping these guards in front of us.Last year we could release them to Davis, but we cannot do that this year.

18. Stumps
    2:05 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Regarding whether we can beat Baylor, I’ll reserve judgment until old_school gives his expert opinion. Btw, has anyone ever seen Tipton and old_school together in the same room/at the same time? Hmmm.

19. jpo
    2:11 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

18. LOL!!! Didn’t you see he already posted his prediction for this season. We’re going 0-28, which of course reinforces that Cal’s system simply cannot work. Nevermind the fact that Michigan St. loses many early games EVERY year and they always end up doing ok. Oh and is Michigan St. all freshman? Didn’t think so. People (old_school) need to get off this team’s back we are not entitled to a NC every year.

20. Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
    2:11 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Some tidbits from http://www.kenpom.com:

Pomeroy’s algorithm gives UK a 77% chance to win the game.

So far this season, Baylor’s shown a good offense and so-so defense. They have given up a very high % on 3s so far, but have been above average defending 2s. They don’t foul much, don’t block much, and get quite a few steals. They’re comparable to Notre Dame on the defensive glass, and much better than the Irish at getting offensive rebounds.

There’s really been a huge split during Cal’s time at UK in the team’s road and home performances. I suspect that Rupp will make a big difference, and we’ll see much less confusion and more diving on the floor from the Cats tomorrow. The big danger for the team may be foul trouble as the bigs try to keep an athletic team off of the offensive glass. I don’t expect Baylor to try to shut down the break like Notre Dame did, so Goodwin may get more transition opportunities. Otherwise, our big offensive key may be having enough better offensive flow to get Mays and Wiltjer some open 3s, which they’ll need to knock down.

Cats by 5, 68-63.

21. Dr Mantis Taboggin
    2:25 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

Just saying this… We haven’t guarded a point guard all season and this guy is the best one we’ve faced yet. If we can contain him we win, we let him roll over us like that scrub from Notre Dame we are screwed.

22. REAL fan
    2:33 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

I wish some would temper their expection. This is what happens when you choose to recruit likeCal has. You get a team that these freshman are clearly a step under last years. This team is going to go threw some pains early. We will loose some games this year and be very up and down. By March Cal will have this team playing at a high level. Last years team was something special we are not going to have that type of season every year!

23. WTF
    3:17 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

7,4,3,8,6,5,1,2

24. RealCatsFan
    3:27 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

22, right on – but I would be quite happy with having a team like that every OTHER year. 🙂

25. RealCatsFan
    3:28 pm November 30, 2012 Permalink

#16, do you know the call letters or the station? Thanks.

26. Women Everywhere