Knight Discusses Turning Down A Kemba Work Out

brandon-knight

One of the sub stories in regards to the draft the past week or so was whether or not Brandon Knight would work out against Kemba Walker prior to the NBA Draft.  They had an opportunity to do so yesterday in Toronto (and will possibly have an opportunity again in Utah if both work out for the Jazz,) but it didn’t happen.  Thanks, in part, to Brandon Knights agent Arn Tellem, according to Chad Ford.

The move makes sense, though.  In the same way that Kyrie Irving refused to do drills and won’t go to work outs, if you’re predicted to go higher in the draft than other players, you shouldn’t work out against them.  There is no reason to give others an opportunity to look better than you if you don’t have to.  It’s strategy.

In Knights words, from the National Post:

“My main thing is that’s why you hire agents,” Knight said, basically agreeing with Thomas’s assessment. “Listen to what the agent tells you, just trust him, see what he says to do. Like you said, I’m not scared to work out against anybody. I’m a competitor. Sometimes with scheduling and stuff like that, you’ve got to listen to your agent and what he tells you to do. Sometimes it’s not about being a competitor. Sometimes it’s about being strategic.”

So for those of you waiting to hear reports of how Knight looked one on one against Kemba, I guess you’ll have to wait until they match up against each other in the NBA.

Article written by Will Lentz

21 Comments for Knight Discusses Turning Down A Kemba Work Out

1. Tom Handy
    1:04 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

Any word on how Kanter looked in his workout against competition?

2. Will Lentz
    1:13 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

Not really. Cleveland kept the workout from the media and didn’t make him available directly after. We’re looking into though. The impression I got was that it was an overall positive work out, but I’m trying to get some certainty behind that still.

3. Garfield
    1:18 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

I believe they worked out twice against eachother.

Kemba – 2
    B. Knight – 0

4. Will Lentz
    1:19 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

3. Well it’s kind of tough to figure who will be the better pro on two games like that… but that’s a valid point.

5. Mack
    1:26 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

If walker reads a book maybe then….

6. ummm
    1:28 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

3. I may get bashed for saying so, but you are exactly right. Knight stunk it up twice against Uconn. If he had played more like a point guard we probably when the final four game going away. Oh what I would give if he would have took 10 less shots and Lamb had got those 10 extra shots. Lamb was on, Knight was off.

7. KSR Spy
    1:37 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

#6 You lost all credibility when you spelled “win the Final Four” as “when the Final Four”

FAIL

8. stevie
    1:38 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

Lamb was on, Knight was off.

***And, UK went to the final 4.

9. Jesus is Lord
    1:44 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

Just met Ryan Harrow. Super nice kid!! Where do I send my pic?

10. James
    1:47 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

9. the email at the top of the page, jesus.

11. invisibleink
    1:53 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

Jesus, James … James, Jesus

12. bung
    1:56 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

6) u got it, less shots more assists….and we shot 59 3’s in the games that ended our last 2 seasons

13. UK_Legggo
    2:03 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

I’d say this was a good thing. Love Brandon but he would have gotten owned. Kemba’s just better at this point except for 3 pt shooting. Brandon doesn’t do well under physical deffensive pressure yet. Maybe one day, but to be somebody in the NBA you’ve got to be able to manhandle people and currently Kemba’s just better. Doesn’t mean Knight can’t get drafted higher though. Certainly would have made for good tv.

14. Jesus is Lord
    2:03 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

I clicked on Matt and Beisner’s names and my PC won’t let me open up the Microsoft Outlook program therefore I cannot get their email addresses. At any rate, I have a pic of me, my son and Harrow, so if someone can give me an email address to KSR, I’ll send it in. Harrow is VERY skinny and declined my offer to school him in a game of one on one. LOL.

15. UK_Legggo
    2:04 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

Here’s the email: [email protected]

16. bung
    2:05 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

When did the “Final Four” term start getting used? Didn’t it used to be simply called the semi finals since the goal is the Championship.

17. Jesus is Lord
    2:10 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

15: Thanks. I just sent the pic to Beisner. If he posts it, check out how skinny Harrow is. He looks like he’s 14, but he plays like he’s in the NBA. The kid will be a good one.

18. Jesus is Lord
    2:56 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

Thanks 15. I sent him the pic. If he posts it, check out how skinny Harrow is. He looks like he’s 14, but plays like he’s in the NBA. He’s going to be a good one.

19. mocha
    2:57 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

Strategery..

20. TreyDay
    3:45 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

6. I’m not going to bash you, but please watch Princeton & OSU games before you bitch about Knight’s performance against the Huskies.
    I still think Knight has a higher ceiling than Walker in the NBA. Screw Kemba the midget.

21. BlueMike
    4:47 pm June 8, 2011 Permalink

I know I’ll get bashed, but not working out with someone else is a chicken excrement move. If this was turned around the other way and Walker refused to work out against Knight we’d be bashing and laughing at him. If you don’t think you’re the best PG in the draft then you shouldn’t have declared unless you’re prepared not to go #1. Otherwise, get on the court with whomever they ask you to and show them what you got, prove you’re the best. While this might be strategic in getting him drafted as highly as possible and making as much money as he can, I think it’s cowardice. I have nothing but love for BK and what he did in his year here at UK, really enjoyed watching him play and represent the Cats. I just hate seeing him not man-up and dodge someone on the court so he won’t look bad.