Kirk Herbstreit calls Stoops a “great choice”

The reactions from the national media keep trickling in. First up, ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit, who found out the news on air. Herbstreit called it a “great choice,” referencing Stoops’ coaching pedigree, his readiness for the next level, and extraordinary leadership skills.

More coverage coming…

22 Comments for Kirk Herbstreit calls Stoops a “great choice”

1. true story
    3:52 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

So… our new coach – assuming the Ville wins the Big Least and FSU the ACC, will be handing out his first arse whoopin’ on those filthy cards on 1/1! How cool is that?

2. stooooooops!d
    3:53 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Stoops to conquer!

3. UKUKUK1965
    3:54 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Ol’ Mitch did manage to hit a homerun. Good for him and good for the program.

4. coach search
    3:57 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

I don’t normally like RED HEADS, but when I do I like MARK STOOPS !!!!!!!!!!

5. BUCats
    4:03 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

The all knowing Birk Berbstreit.

6. Crow
    4:04 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

7. asdf
    4:17 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

“So if we get a great OC, upgrade the facilities, and expand the recruiting budget then our new coach might work out. So why didn’t we just do those things for Joker 3 years ago?”

Good point. It’s like that old kid’s story about the charlatan hobo who could make soup out of a “magic” rock, but it would taste even better if his dupes happened to add some vegetables and a little meat. ANYBODY would win if we did all those other things!

8. rick
    4:17 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

#6 Joker made some decisions on the field this year that just couldnt be explained.

9. Gavin S.
    4:28 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

I hope he works out, but I remember being pretty excited about the BCG hire, as well.

10. Experience
    4:30 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Hello “punt returner U” !

11. Troy
    4:34 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

I am happy as hell we got him, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why he came HERE ! It’s a step down from his current situation as far as I see it, and he could have taken the head coaching position at Auburn or TN which have much better facilities and recruiting situations than UK. I mean lets face it, we are the bottom of the hardest conference in America. This guy could have been the next head coach almost any place he wanted. I just don’t get it. It’s like Jim Harbaugh choosing to be the head coahc of MTSU instead of ALabama. It makes no sense.

12. Linda Taylor
    4:38 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

6 — As regards the funding for facilities upgrades surely you know there was a serious roadblock in the KY Senate, specifically now former Senate president David Williams who has taken a position as a judge. Every time UK went to Frankfort trying to get bonding approval for upgrades the Senate refused. Joker himself said Mitch gave him everything he asked for in recruiting.

13. Hash
    4:52 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Did you see Herbstreit’s face when they broke the news with him on the air. Almost like he couldn’t believe it!

14. Dennis
    4:59 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

What happened to Kyle Tuckers sources?

15. NotStoops
    5:01 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

I cant wait to see what Sportscenter and the rest of the national news stes start saying about it later tonight and through the week. A very exciting time for UK football! Cant wait to see what next season brings.

16. hellcat
    5:09 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Awesome hire! Get a good oc and dc then the cats will be the HAMMER not the nail. Go cats!!

17. Michael
    5:18 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Mitch Barnhart listened to BBN. You can’t be a BCS team without someone from a BCS school. GREAT HIRE!!!!!

18. yitbos
    5:44 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

If Mitch listened to many of the BBN, he would have gotten Petrino. I’m soo happy he didn’t listen to those morons.

19. S0-so hire
    5:44 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Barnhart listened to the BBN? Your jokeing right? I don’t think this is the guy BBN asked for, but he’ll do. He IS our coach now so let’s support him untill he gives us reason not too.

20. Joe Dan Gorman
    6:11 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Why break tradition….. UK has not had an EXPERIENCED head football coach with a WINNING record since 1961…but I’m sure it will be great THIS time..

21. HoptownPred
    8:10 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

Good Luck Coach Stoops! You got a JOB in front of you, my friend. Probably the toughest coaching job in the country. Last coach with winning record? Blanton Collier in the 50’s. go get em’ , Marcus!

22. DCS195
    8:28 pm November 27, 2012 Permalink

19) And you can’t wait until you find a play call or player left on the bench that you feel is reason to blast the hiring decision, can you? Some people start the day by being negative when they get out of bed each morning.