Khem Birch leaving Pitt? Possibly for Kentucky?

There’s lots of talk out of Pittsburgh that 6’9 freshman Khem Birch is transferring. It’s just rumor at this point but the university declined comment when asked about Birch’s future so that tells you a little bit right there. People close to the program believe Birch is gone and he’ll likely end up at Kentucky.

Birch was ESPN Recruiting’s No. 1 center in the class of 2011, ahead of Andre Drummond. He was also considering Syracuse, North Carolina, and the Cayts when he committed to Pitt in September of 2010.

Keep an eye on this one.

Article written by Drew Franklin

54 Comments for Khem Birch leaving Pitt? Possibly for Kentucky?

1. K in Cincy
    8:14 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

He was considering the Cayts? They probably have the inside track then, and the Cats don’t have a shot.

2. Mr Schwump
    8:14 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Can he hit FTs?

3. Kirbdaddy
    8:20 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Why would any player worth a damn go to Pittsburgh in the first place? Annually the most overrated team in the country.

4. Jstratton
    8:22 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Why should we ever doubt Coach Cal again?

5. Poole's Daddy
    8:23 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

I would love for him to end up here, but realistically I dont see it happening with the players Cal is after for next season. I dont honestly see us losing as many players as some think

6. Jorts
    8:24 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Wannamaker tweeted something calling a teammate out about not being able to compete for minutes and deal with tough coaching & practice. He’s bitter.

7. lpool003
    8:25 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Would be awesome to get him for next season. Even players on the team are tweeting out about his possible transfer. I’m not holding my breath though… usually kids do this just to get their coaches attention so they can get what they want.

8. capt. price
    8:26 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

I think this guy was a great shot blocker in the McD’s. I remember being impressed by him. Hope he comes here.

9. lpool003
    8:26 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

*Players on Pitt’s team*

10. Harlanhick
    8:26 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Sounds good to me…and I agree on the early departures as of right now

11. cabethy
    8:28 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Can he play for us for the IU game?? We’re gonna need a presence under the basket.

12. lumberjackcat
    8:30 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

when would he get to play jan of 2013

13. TommyCreansHairGel
    8:31 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Let’s storm the court again HOosier fans !!!!!!

YYeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

14. Blueburg
    8:32 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Why would he want to go to Syracuse now?

15. Matty G
    8:33 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

This guy would be a great pickup. I’ve seen a couple Pitt games this year and he’s impressed me. He would obviously work well in Cal’s system.

16. Captain Stewbing
    8:34 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

“Come aboard, we’re expecting you.”

17. uklaw95
    8:36 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Wait. You guys said this morning that Jarnell Stokes couldn’t transfer to UK because we didn’t have a scholarship. Are you saying he’s waiting until Fall or are you saying you were wrong about Poole’s schollie earlier? I am confused.

18. Flippy23
    8:37 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

This guy is a beast……Patrick Patterson reborn…….

19. Kevin R.
    8:40 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

#5 I agree I think teague returns and maybe gilchrist plus with we got we r loaded I’d honestly say next year pre season duke is #1

20. Love the cyber day special!
    8:43 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Driving to Lexington tomorrow for the weekend!! Cant wait! See ya soon BBN!

21. uklaw95
    8:47 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

According to bigbluehistory.net, this is our roster:

#23 Anthony Davis
    #25 Marquis Teague
    #20 Doron Lamb
    #14 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    #33 Kyle Wiltjer
    #1 Darius Miller
    #3 Terrence Jones
    #30 Eloy Vargas
    #13 Sam Malone
    #5 Jarrod Polson
    #32 Brian Long
    #4 Jon Hood
    #10 Twany Beckham
    #12 Ryan Harrow

That’s 14. Malone, Polson, and Long are walk-ons, correct? Which would be 11, leaving 2 scholarships available.

22. GoBigBlue
    8:51 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

I think they gave Polson a scholarship last year. I don’t think they ever took it away.

23. dstace
    8:55 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

polson was a walk on last year he is on scholarship this year

24. Cats Fan
    9:00 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

I think we will get a couple of these guys back, just not sure who it is. If Jones doesn’t be careful, he may be coming back next year lol.

25. dean adams
    9:05 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

#21…stacey poole is still on scholarship as well

26. Sean
    9:08 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Do Harrow and Hood count as scholarships since they are redshirting?

27. Cat Fan
    9:09 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Can anyone tell me where to get this KY sweatshirt that Ryan Harrow has been wearing? People have been makin a huge deal about it and I have no idea what they’re talking about

28. NCAA Rule Book
    9:10 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Effective immediately!!!! No players can transfer from Pitt to UK

29. Mr. Bateman
    9:17 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

#25….Any idea if that ends after the semester or lasts the full year?

30. Ncaa
    9:24 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

As of now sighting an unfair advantage uk can no long recruit between jan 2 thru Dec 31st

31. JacK LorD
    9:25 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

my local psychic here in Hawaii (named Woo)has predictions that would disagree with a few of you on here. Jones, miller, MKG, Lamb are high draft picks and will be gone.In other words, dont be silly- youre dreamin if you think theyll be back. The season is young and they will blossom. Oh and theres a 70% chance Teague is gone too.Sorry – blame Cal, not my psychic -you know, Woo.

32. TRex
    9:26 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

is this guy for real?

6′ 8″ usually means 6’6″, rarely ever 6’7″

a center? he looks like a 3 to me??

where is the beef?

33. JacK LorD
    9:26 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

oh and Davis..sorry LOL..cant forget him

34. Shawn
    9:28 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Stacey Poole’s scholarship still counts for this year. I don’t know why because he never stepped foot on the court but Its been pointed out numerous times on numerous sites.

35. bmt22033
    9:38 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

As of yesterday’s update, nbadraft.net projects…

Davis @ #3
    MKG @ #10
    Jones @ #13
    Teague @ #16
    Lamb @ #19
    Miller @ #56

36. B-Rad
    9:40 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

27) you can the sweatshirt at ONENESS.. it a store downtown. you can find them on facebook.

37. Han
    9:42 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

If he transfers here, he’d have to pay his own way for a semester, same as Stokes would if he comes. But if Cal wants him, I trust in Cal’s recruiting. Poole and Dodson are his only letdowns so far out of a lot of recruits.

5) Right now, Miller and Vargas are definitely gone as seniors. Jones and Lamb will want to go. Davis and Gilchrist are Lotto picks and Cal will encourage them to go. Teague has the opportunity to play himself up close to or in Lotto range as Knight did last year. Wiltjer hasn’t played on par to leave, but most of us said the same about Orton last year. NBA drafts on potential.

21) Polson and Backham are both preferred walk-ons, which means that if there’s a schollie available when the season starts, Cal gives it to them. Poole’s schollie is in use all year even if he leaves. Likely to discourage running players off if a better player like Stokes enrolls mid-year.

34) Poole enrolled in classes, so even though he didn’t play any games, he counts toward our APR, and he is finishing out the semester before transferring, as I understand it.

38. KYStout
    9:48 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

haha everyone will say we persuaded him to leave Pitt.

Who gives a rat’s ass? If he wants to play here and he’s a good kid, let him come.

39. blue suede shoes
    9:51 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Birch is a stud and should be playing ahead of Dixon’s other bigs. Dixon pulls the old ball coach method of breaking a guy down and developing him over the course of three years. Birch should have started from day one up there. He can more than contribute. Would rather have him in his second year than Coleman in year one.

40. NCAA Compliance
    9:51 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Cal just so happened to be in Pittsburgh for the Steelers game last week. We are looking into honest Cal and his shady tactics as I type.

41. Statestreet
    9:54 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Polson was on scholarship last year….

42. David from San Diego
    10:07 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

I have felt Cal would bring in a transfer or JUCO xfer into next years team all season. This would obviously be a great addition and smart move to add a guy with some experience to a team which will certainly have the least experience of any of Cal’s UK teams thus far. Go CATS!

43. KYStout
    10:14 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

#40 – No, bird fan – you are sitting alone in your mom’s basement as you type. Thanks, though, for watching Cal’s every movement so close that you even knew where he was last week lmao.

LOSER

44. Han
    10:19 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

44) Demarcus Cousins is a thug. Terrence Jones can’t make up his mind. Other crap idiots say about people they don’t know.

If Cal takes him, I’m happy.

45. Mark Emmert
    10:21 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

I will never allow the kid to play for Kentucky. No way!

46. Noahtyusoffspring
    10:22 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

His stats through 10 games this season:
    4.4ppg, 5rpg, 1.9 bpg and playing 15 mpg. Only shooting 55% from the free throw line but well over 50% from the field. Throw him in with Wiltjer, Cauley, Poythress, and possibly one other and you are talking about a solid frontcourt.

47. Coach Cal
    10:26 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

This is the McDonald’s burger talent I’ve been talking about all week. When I roll the ball out there to my guys next season, you will see unprecedented athleticism. Between the McDonald’s All-American game and the NBA Draft, 2012-2013 will be special.

48. NCAA
    10:27 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Effective December 16, 2011 each basketball program whose name begins with K, has the main color of Blue and whose campus is situated between the southern most border of Indiana and the northern most border of Tennessee will be allowed only one transfer per season.

49. Coach Cal
    10:33 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

BBN: I don’t care about fans of the program. You don’t exist for all intents and purposes. Also, I don’t discipline my players or enforce curfews. That is what it means to run a players first program. Lastly, I do not teach my team fundamentals of the game. I win games by overwhelming opponents with vastly superior athleticism. If that is not enough, then I will hit up Mickie D’s for more burger talent. I know most of you care about the regular season and the NCAA tournament. However, the true measures of success at Kentucky are the book ends of the season: The McDonald’s All-American game & The NBA Draft. The season in between does not matter, just like you guys don’t matter.

50. OMG!!
    10:58 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

BREAKING NEWS: A Kentucky basketball player has been arrested for DUI this evening and the cops found weed in the car. WKYT & WLEX haven’t provided a name. I hope it isn’t who I think it might be.

51. Breaking News
    11:10 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

Breaking News: UL player got shot in the eye tonight. Here is the news report:

52. Scouting Report
    7:22 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

#49-Your act is more than tired. Do you think you are funny or even remotely amusing? You have the IQ of a gnat and I apologize to the gnat population. Please, for once, come up with something original. Until then, return to your hole and stay there.

53. Jones Returns
    10:40 am December 16, 2011 Permalink

54. theSkinny81
    1:32 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

random: i was just thinking the other day (during a Pitt game) about how i liked him as a high schooler, and now he may join us? awesome.