Khalid Henderson moving up the depth chart

(Image: CentralKYNews.com)

After a very underwhelming showing from starter Tyler Brause at weakside linebacker, look for freshman Khalid Henderson to steal some playing time against Kent State. Joker said today that Henderson has been taking reps with the first team in practice this week and a starter won’t be named until closer to game time.

Henderson and fellow true freshman Pancho Thomas will both see the field Saturday and one of the two could earn a starting spot if they perform well. This is a great opportunity for them to prove that young talent can outweigh age and experience.

Get ready for a very young UK defense.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Khalid Henderson moving up the depth chart

1. Just Sayin'
    1:04 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

get ready for a very young UK defense? So? can a young defense be worse than the last group we saw? glad joker is seeing on film what we all saw on tv.

2. theSkinny81
    1:09 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

wheres the first hour of todays podcast????

3. good one
    1:11 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

4. Musehobo
    1:20 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

Honestly, Joker is doing what I’ve always wanted him to do. With that seat getting hotter he shouldn’t be pulling any punches. You see an upperclassmen not making the cut, replace him with better talent. It’s that “we owe it to them” softy attitude that’s allowed all this weak play-calling and lack of aggression. I’m anxious to see if any of this stuff can salvage any part of the season. Frankly, I like the idea of getting to watch a season of Joker with a balls-to-the-wall attitude. Maybe we can steal a game from Florida…or Tennessee…or maybe we win more. Honestly I doubt it. But as a UK fan, I’m at least excited to possibly see a new Joker this year. It’s better than watching last year’s Joker.

5. tltaworl
    1:21 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

#3, I can’t see Barnhardt taking that risk. Calipari has not been caught doing anything wrong. Petrino has made big mistakes both ethically morally and legally. I don’t see Mitch considering that step.

6. tltaworl
    1:22 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

#4, the new Joker lost 32-14…to UofL.

7. Linda Taylor
    1:24 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

I’m anxious to see what this kid can do on the field. He certainly has a great competitive attitude in his tweets. I remember when we first started seeing glimpses of Danny Trevathan and I’ve hoped that this kid would be a little like him.

8. Trigger
    1:25 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

#3, AMEN. I said that a long time ago to Mrs Tyler Thompson KSR when Petrino showed up with his neck collar LOL

Quote:
    “There is an easy answer should the UK brass choose to compete seriously in football: as soon as this Wildcats team has six losses, announce that Phillips will not be retained and his replacement will be Bobby Petrino.

Considering Petrino’s history, many schools will pass on him for at least one more year. But UK already has Calipari, and apparently is the antithesis of shamefaced about that. Feeling too righteous to hire Petrino would be the most absurd moral stance in the history of the SEC”

9. UK Snuggie
    1:25 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

#4 I completely agree! Well said sir

10. Smith to Collins
    1:30 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

#4 is exactly right. The season may not be successful, but it definitely will not be boring.

11. Marty
    1:31 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

#3- that’s a well written piece. It’s a pretty fair analysis whether someone agrees with the conclusion or not.

12. hawkeye tim
    1:37 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

Has anyone considered the fact that Louisville might just be a really good football team?

13. Musehobo
    1:42 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

6) Yes, you’re right. But that was the first game. His seat is a bit hotter now, let’s see if he steps it up some more in the next few games.

14. tltaworl
    1:46 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

12. They didn’t look that good to me. Just a lot better than us. Can you really see us winning an SEC game this year? Maybe Miss. St or possibly steal one against Vandy at home. I see a best case winning 5 games and that would be 2-6 in the SEC which is going to be quite a task. Joker has to show something for the future to get his contract extended, if he doesn’t win 5 games and play UF, USC, UGA and UT tight then he is gone. If we lose those games by 28+ I just can’t see a situation where he stays.

15. bluesince66
    1:48 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

Hasn’t Joker been around UK forever and in charge of recruiting. Why are we hearing this new crop of freshmen ars so much better. Makes no sense to me.

16. jaws2
    2:11 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

This season was a wash prior to the start. If you don’t think losing every week is boring, then I’ve got nothing for you.

u of l wouldn’t beat more than 2, maybe 3 SEC teams on our schedule. That makes them a really good football team? Please.

17. Paul in Westhill
    2:43 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

Enough is enough. Fire Joker

18. Dave in Bangkok
    2:52 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

Maybe Joker would coach better if all co-eds and female sports media personalities had to wear one of these:

19. ChicagoSucks
    2:55 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

Bluesince66,

I don’t think he is the lead recruiter now that he is the head coach. Also, I would say it’s very common in the Philips era for walk-on veterans to earn a starting position, ahead of 4 star recruits. I appreciate what guys like McDermott and Benton have done for the program, but they need to give up reps to guys like Henderson and Thomas. The most successful UK players recently have been on the field right very early.

I know Dupree and Lowery had a bad game, but they need to be getting reps in now. We should sacrifice in the short term to ensure that in a few years guys like Trimble, Lowery, and Faulkner are seasoned guys in the secondary.

20. Yabba Do
    5:33 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

He’ll play the freshmen a few plays, and then he’ll go right back to the same old crap. He does this every year.

21. putinrichie
    8:54 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

Excited about this…..Brause was a complete failure and disrespected the UK jersey last weekend.