Key to the defense: Winston Guy

Winston Guy

It’s easy to get caught up in the struggles that Winston Guy has had since decommitting from Arkansas and signing with the Cats as one of the top prospects in the state. From a physical standpoint, the former Lexington Catholic star has all the tools to make it in not only the SEC, but also the NFL. However, the mental side of the game has always been Guy’s Achilles heel. Whether it’s blown coverages or missed tackles, Guy has never been able to marry his god given ability with any outright understanding of the defensive game. I think that’s all about to change, though.

In Rick Minter’s new 3-4 scheme, Guy should experience a Renaissance of the type of play that made him such a highly sought after commodity coming out of high school. His strengths lie in using his speed to get to the ball and as an outside linebacker in the 3-4 instead of a safety, Guy will be able to focus on what makes him such a special player without exposing himself in coverage. “As I look at it, I think it will benefit me in the long run,” Guy said of his position change. “It makes me work to my strengths. I’m more of a downhill player… and I think Coach Minter has put me in the best position possible to help out myself and the team.” Despite the fact that he is rather undersized for his new linebacker position, Guy has the speed and the instincts to make an impact at his new position and give the Cats one of the most athletic linebacking corps in the SEC.

In addition to his new position, Guy has made himself a more vocal leader, especially through his advocacy of Thursday night running sessions that strength and conditioning coach, Rock Oliver, refers to as ‘Thursday Night Lights’. Guy credits the sessions with boosting team cohesiveness and bringing together both defensive and offensive players in one work environment. As a member of an experienced defense, Guy says that it’ll be up to many different players to step up and take charge, and he pledges to be one of the players who does so.

As long as this new attitude carries through the season, look for Guy to be the key player on a defense that should be much improved from last season. His performance will be even more important than that of Danny Trevathan, the undisputed best defensive player, because the coaches of the SEC aren’t expecting the same stellar performance from Guy. If Trevathan matches his production from last year and Guy can produce in his new role, then this Cats defense will be one to be reckoned with in the 2011 season.

After wisely eschewing draft entry last season, let’s hope that this year turns into a breakout campaign for Guy and nets him some real attention from the league. He’s got the body, now he just has to put his mind to it.

Article written by Matthew Hays

15 Comments for Key to the defense: Winston Guy

1. UKfanNKY
    4:10 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

CATS ON THE RISE!!!!! GO BIG BLUE!!!!

2. Calipari'sInYourEar
    4:11 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

I wonder if sleeping during meetings causes your dreads to turn frosty on the tips

3. arupprunt
    4:50 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

If Winston “im gonna shut my eyes and dive out of your Way” Guy is the key to our season we are Fu***d

4. mudcreekmark
    5:06 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

I love it. He has all the tools to make it to the NFL if it wasn’t for those little things like blowing coverages and not making tackles. I think that may be the things that seperate the players who do and don’t play in the NFL. Thats like saying Jon Hood has all the tools to play in the NBA if it wasn’t for not being able to shoot and not being able to guard anybody.

5. JBR
    5:11 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

Wow, what a novel idea…a coach putting a player in the best position for that player to maximize his talent…wow,that’s just crazy (looking at) Joker and Brown…

6. JBR
    5:13 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

Now, we’ll see if Minter can teach him how to tackle. But you know what? If he can’t, there will be someone else in the game that WANTS to play football.

7. catz
    6:57 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

I met him at the mall

8. Football Man
    7:25 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

Make’em mad Winston!

9. Moses
    7:31 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

Kentucky defense one to be reckoned with?? Haha where do you all come up with this stuff sometimes!!??

10. Hard Hittin' CAT
    11:07 pm July 15, 2011 Permalink

I am looking forward to Winston Guy lining up next to Trevathan in that 3-4 scheme. They will be two LB’s to be reckoned with.

11. MTW
    1:37 am July 16, 2011 Permalink

I’ll believe it when I see it on the field. This guy is the Sheray Thomas of the offseason. When a ball is thrown up for grabs and you whiff time and time again on the ball and then can’t make the tackle either I begin to lose confidence. Something tells me he’ll find new ways to frustrate us in this new defense. Of course its possible he’ll pull a Joe Crawford. We’ll see.

12. jps4040
    2:26 am July 16, 2011 Permalink

Kid absolutely cannot play football… no iq at all, this is the same kid that in high school at lexington catholic gave up a touchdown and when the coaches wondered why he didnt make the play they soon found out because he was standing on the sidelines warming up his feet by the heaters instead of being on the field. kid will not make things happen this year mark my words

13. rich brooks
    2:21 pm July 16, 2011 Permalink

hey winston, it’s me… coach brooks. please stop talking. your chances of making the next level ended when the horsemen left town.

14. Mat in Franklin
    4:30 pm July 16, 2011 Permalink

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

15. Steelers Rule
    11:01 pm July 16, 2011 Permalink

Winston Guy is a specimen with no football IQ. If we are depending on him to have a good defense we are in trouble.