Kevin Ware, stop making me like you

Kevin Ware was a guest on the Late Show with David Letterman last night and, Louisville hatred aside, he’s been great since suffering that horrific injury against Duke. I can’t believe I’m writing this. Ware’s spirits have been high during a difficult time for him personally and the injury has instilled a new inspiration in the Cardinals as the… OK I’m done.

Go Wichita State.

Article written by Drew Franklin

43 Comments for Kevin Ware, stop making me like you

1. Gavin S.
    10:18 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

He’s a good kid. No doubt.

2. jumpman8
    10:18 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Seriously? Really KSR, you just can’t let it go can you?

3. FinjaDave
    10:18 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

What a nice, well-spoken young man. God Bless Him.

Go Shockers.

4. Usernametaken
    10:21 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

I remember Louisville fans crying rules violations when Anthony Davis went on a talk show.

5. asdf
    10:21 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Ware seems to be a high-character young man, and I hope he gets to use that to help his teammates cope with a devastating loss in the national semis.

6. OneAndDone
    10:22 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

All hatred for Louisville aside, he’s a likable kid

7. RICK
    10:24 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

GO SHOCKERS, Seems to be a good kid, god bless him and i still hate louisville.

8. El Pollo Loco
    10:27 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

In all honesty, this is probably the best thing that’s ever happened to him. Sure, he won’t be able to actually play in the Final Four and that will suck for him, but in the grand scheme of things his life just got way better. The injury itself looked more gruesome than the outcome. A torn ACL is way worse. A regular broken ankle gets him no attention. However, it captured the attention of everyone, made him a celebrity rather than a role player and will likely have him set for life now due to people knowing who he is and connections to people who have reached out. Not bad.

All that said, he’s handled it admirably and seems like a genuinely good guy. Go Shockers!

9. ClassyKSRpost
    10:28 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Great post. We know there is a % of both fanbases who hate everything about one another. Sometimes we forget that we are talking about real young kids who are working their butts off everyday to be great basketball players. Much respect to Drew and KSR for this one.

10. BlueFins
    10:30 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

This has gone well past ridiculous since he BROKE his leg. What’s next, will he be replacing Pope Francis? I hope all this hoopla f’s up UL concentration. At this point I don’t care what kind of kid he is, I’m tired of hearing his name. I think I hate him more than UL.

11. atlantacat
    10:36 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Props to you Drew for even being able to watch Letterman. He leans so far to the left he has to have his right leg tied to the chair so he won’t fall out.

12. j
    10:40 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Hey 10 your a moron, i bet if it was one of our freshman next year that this happened to you would have a totally different approach so shut the f*** up

13. Rob
    10:43 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

#12, remind me again why we’re defending UofL players on KSR? Thanks and Go Shockers!

14. CARDINALGIRL116
    10:43 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

WOW Bluefin….you sound like a real class act….you could learn a lesson or two from Ware on being a humble and compassionate person. GO CARDS!!!

15. Downward dog
    10:43 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Because I want to beat U of L in athletics, I am not a weird o
    Prayers and best wishes for this young man, when your old as I am with
    Children it will all make sense to you. Life is to short to hold contempt in situations like
    What happened to Ware

16. asdf
    10:46 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

It sucked when Nerlens got hurt. It sucked when Ware got hurt. It sucks when any kid gets hurt.

17. freethrow
    10:48 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

I might hate Louisville but I am sure a fan of Kevin Ware. Seems like a great kid.

18. j
    10:48 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Rob if you can’t see why supporting this kid is beyond what jersey he has on then its not even worth wasting my time trying to explain.

19. the Big Dog
    10:51 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Stop drinking the KOOL AID, please. Why don’t we ask Ware about why he was suspended earlier this year? To quote Pitino, “Ware isn’t coming back anytime soon”. It turned out to be less than a week. While you’re at it, ask him about his 2012 suspension. Did he miss study hall? Ask about his agent during his recruitment at Central Florida? Ask him about how he ended up at U of L. Sure we wish he hadn’t been injured, but let’s keep this in perspective.

20. j
    10:55 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

I’m not saying all of that didn’t happen but if this happened to julius randle and they posted this video on a louisville site everyone one of you would be ripping blue fin a new a** hole if he said he hated randle more than kentucky don’t act like you wouldn’t.. and as far as the suspensions and everything if that was randles situation you all would be defending it like he was your best friend dont’ sit there and act like you wouldn’t!! you would repost this video on your facebook if it was a kentucky player..

21. CUK02
    10:56 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

I feel bad for him no doubt. BUT COME ON. He isn’t the only person in the history of the world to ever have an injury.

22. jhnny
    11:00 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Hard not to like that kid.

23. RahRah
    11:05 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Good grief, all the best to this young man. Hope he heals completely and quickly. BUT, not sure why this all proves anything about his character. It’s being exploited to make UofL “America’s team,” and has a gimmicky feel to it. Guy averaged like 4 points per game this season, just happened to be a lot more gruesome-looking injury than your average basketball injury. Pitino is riding this kid’s injured leg like an unneutered male dog. Red Kool-aid for sure.
    I live in Louisville and will “Ware” blue all day today.
    GO Shockers!

24. David
    11:06 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Drew I am a Wildcat fan thru and thru. I enjoy your articles but I am a little irritated at the “Ï can’t believe I am writing this”” sentence. I heard Kevin Ware Thursday nite on another program besides Letterman and I now am a fan of his . You had good things to say about him and that is positive but leave the hatred of the CARDS out of an article like this. It sours what good things you have to say.

25. kyle heavy
    11:06 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

The kid broke his leg. He doesn’t have cancer. Let’s move on. He is in high spirits because he is getting more attention now than he ever would as a player. 4.5 ppg this season. Just saying.

26. rick
    11:14 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

#20, Your way to serious. This is suppose to be fun.

27. Philly Cheez
    11:14 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Enough with the Cards posts on here. You didn’t see Cards fans wearing blue or being on Nerlen’s nuts so hard when he went down for the year.

28. j
    11:19 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

I’m not taking it to serious but to say you hate a kid because he is getting some attention because he had the worst injury in sports is just idiotic.. just sayin if it was anthony davis getting all this attention because he got hurt you wouldn’t be saying the things yall are saying

29. He's a bench player who doesn't play that much
    11:19 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

It sounds like he’s going to receive the Purple Heart by the end of the weekend. And then next week- the key to the city. The week after that, be voted as a US Senator.

30. FinjaDave
    11:19 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

#20, J…
    What? I mean, umm… Huh?!?
    Try using some punctuation & capital letters, too. And maybe organize your thoughts before you start to type.

31. j
    11:26 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

good comeback 30

32. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    11:53 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

Can you post his daily rehab updates on the site from now on? Enough is enough. We’re going to hear about it 50 million times when they plan next anyways. Focus should be on Nerlens.

33. King Cote
    11:57 am April 5, 2013 Permalink

This kid is a degenerate with multiple suspensions and UofL fans did not like im until he broke his leg. Now he is hailed as a hero. Rick is just mad he can no longer kick him off the team

34. Dr. UK
    12:14 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

To those mentioning his stats… the way Ware was playing at the end of the season, I’d take him over Goodwin any day. (UK Fan here)

35. WestPointCard
    12:20 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for kind remarks about Kevin Ware.

36. UKBlue
    12:21 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

Thank God this is almost over, the media has & continues to beat this story to death. I know the media is desperate for whatever, but this story has jumped the shark.

37. uk
    12:23 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

#19 All those things you said doesn’t make me think any less of him. You should be stood up against a wall and everyone on here should throw a rock at your face for everything you’ve ever done that was wrong. I’m sure the things you’ve done are a lot worse than any of the things you just said about him. Seriously, he talked to an agent and missed study hall? LMAO

38. Yoda
    12:25 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

It sucks when anyone gets an injury that prevents them from doing what they love. That applies to athletes, truck drivers, teachers, et al. Letterman went so far as to say the words “TERRIBLE TRAGEDY” and “MIRACLE” when describing the event of his injury…

No Dave, just no. A TRAGEDY would describe innocent lives dying in foreign wars with drone strikes. A TRAGEDY would be an American soldier dying a week before coming home, leaving a wife and newborn baby behind. A TRAGEDY would be your mother dying of breast cancer before she got to meet her grandchild. A MIRACLE would be something, ANYTHING, outside the realm of human comprehension or scienific explanation. Kevin Ware’s BROKEN LEG – albeit very gruesome – was nothing near TRAGIC or a MIRACLE.

39. UKfanman
    12:31 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

I am continually shocked and embarrassed by our fan base. No wonder people hate us all over the nation. Not because we are good…but because many of our fans are idiots…as evidenced in many posts here. Good grief…it is basketball. This kid had a horrific thing happen to him on national television. I don’t care what team he plays on…props to him for getting this attention and I wish him well. Stay classy people. But I am sure this will be lost on many of you.

40. mgcat
    12:35 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

ENOUGH. ENOUGH already. Just because this kids injury was particularly “gruesome” and made very nearly everyone on the floor at the time wretch in disgust, doesn’t make it any more injurious than, oh, let’s say Nerlens Noel unfortunate encounter with a goal stanchion.

Did we see his face plastered all over every TV program? Did Nike rush to print T-shirts?

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

GO SYRACUSE/ WICHITA STATE/ MICHIGAN!!!

#anyone_but_UL

41. Participant
    12:38 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

I echo what many have said… Get well Kevin, Go Shockers.

Next, let us as UK fans move on to the next football season, enjoy UK baseball/softball, and encourage our young men and women in the basketball programs to play for (and like) a champion.

This is NOT Cards Sports Radio.

Enough is enough.

42. Dustin
    1:11 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

That was Funny

43. rj
    2:16 pm April 5, 2013 Permalink

I here there going to throw all of ali’s stuff out and make it th kevin ware center. also no more martin lurther king blvd, its going to kevin ware road, maybe they sould put a 50 foot statue of him on the river. lance armstrong coming uo with a bracelett that says “ware strong” personally we should get the new pope to nominate him for sainthood!