Kentucky wins the Battle on Broadway, 74-28

(Photo via UKAthletics.com)

The fine student-athletes from Transylvania University made the three-block walk to Rupp Arena on Monday night for Kentucky’s final exhibition game of the season and they returned to the Beck Center with the expected blowout loss to the Cats and a lifetime of memories. The Pioneers, though never really in it after the first 10 minutes, helped Kentucky’s young team by exposing weaknesses and giving them another 40 minutes of game experience before the season starts in four days in Brooklyn.

Let’s talk about it…

28 points. Twenty. Eight. Points. That’s all the Cats gave up to Transylvania in the 46-point win on Monday night. After an ugly first half that ended with a 28-18 Kentucky lead, UK came out of the locker room strong and held the Pioneers to just 10 points in the final 20 minutes. Transy’s plan entering the game was to rely on the three-ball, but Kentucky pushed the experienced Transy guards out and forced them to take it to the basket or settle for long, contested jump shots. Afterwards, Transy head coach Brian Lane complimented the Cats for how well they played defense and locked his guys down.

“Last year we got off over 35, 36 three-pointers,” he said. “That was how we could stay in the game. This year we couldn’t get them off. We were trying to get 3s off and they held us only to 12 in the first half. They close so well. If one guy makes a mistake the next guy is there.”

Coach Cal, though still expecting more from his team defensively, thought they defended better against Transylvania than they did in the first exhibition game against Northwood.  He said, “I like how we started the half. I like how active we were. I liked how we were deflecting balls, how we were flying and spacing the court. I liked that. But look, we are what we are. I keep saying it. ‘What is this, November what?’ We’re a November 5th team.”

“We are what we are” is the new “I like my team.” Cal said it again in his postgame radio show and then added, “We’re not very good. Maybe we can kick one in at the buzzer and (beat Maryland).”

We’ve only seen him a couple of times and the progression of Nerlens Noel’s game is already evident. Nerlens said Calipari called him the most improved player on the team and it showed on Monday when he led the team in scoring with 15 points on 7-of-8 shooting from the field. Kentucky’s star freshman showed off an improved offensive post game, which Cal credits to Nerlens’ hard work in practice with Kenny Payne.  The staff wants him to be a complete basketball player, not just the shot blocker everyone in America expects him to be, and they’re “defining his post game,” as Cal put it in his postgame press conference. He said he wants Nerlens to be a basketball player who happens to block shots. And it looks like he’s well on his way.

Another new face with a great game against the Pioneers: Julius Mays. Mays got hot in the second half as Kentucky started its run when he knocked down three three-pointers early in the half.  Mays went down with a knee injury not long after finding the hot hand, but he still managed to score 14 points in his 24 minutes of game action. Afterwards, Coach Cal praised his veteran two-guard for stepping up and being the team’s leader on the court. “He’s not afraid to be vocal. He’ll talk to the guys defensively on the court, where they should be, what they should have done,” Cal said.

Regarding the knee injury that left Rupp Arena silent, Mays said, “Anytime you hurt your knee, you are always thinking ‘Oh my ACL, my MCL.’ I was scared at first just because of the way I landed. I don’t like being injured. I hate being injured. I hate when people get injured. I was glad to hear the doctors say that it wasn’t anything serious, and that everything would be alright.”

He’ll return to practice on Wednesday (Kentucky is off on Tuesday) and he’ll be good to go against Maryland.

Fun Fact Of The Day: Julius Mays lived in Middlesboro as a child and his grandmother still resides in Bell County. Why are we just now finding out about this?

While Nerlens Noel and Julius Mays showcased their games, Kyle Wiltjer was ice cold with a poor outing offensively.  Wiltjer shot just 2-of-8 from the field, including an uncharacteristic 0-for-5 on three-pointers.  Everyone is allowed to have an off-night every now and then, but when Kyle isn’t knocking down shots, he has no business being out on the floor.  Maybe that’s why he was replaced with Willie Cauley-Stein to start the second half.  Let’s hope he got all the bricks out of his system on Monday night.

As much as we’d like to pretend Willie Cauley-Stein didn’t get crammed on, I guess we better give a shoutout to Transy’s Brandon Rash for the nasty dunk over our 7-footer. Brian Lane called it “something special “ but was quick to point out that his team had trouble scoring for the rest of the game. Will it get some love on SportsCenter? It should.

In UK women’s basketball news, the UK Hoops team destroyed Bellarmine, 113-33 in the 2012-13 season opener. Samarie Walker led the Wildcats in scoring with 19 points on a perfect 9-of-9 from the field. Bria Goss contributed 16 points, while redshirt-sophomore Bernisha Pinkett, A’dia Mathies, Azia Bishop and DeNesha Stallworth also reached double-figures. Matthew Mitchell’s sixth-ranked squad is going to be a lot of fun to watch this season.

Calpari asked the media (that would include us, I guess) to remind fans of the team’s telethon to raise money for victims of Hurricane Sandy. The two-hour fundraiser will run from 7:00-9:00 on Wednesday night with the first hour on WKYT and the second hour on the CW. He plans to auction off a lot of UK National Championship swag and memorabilia, including pieces of the Final Four floor that he signed, along with Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. UK plans to deliver the check prior to tipoff in the Barclays Center on Friday.

One recruiting note before we part ways… Dakari Johnson reclassified to the 2013 class on Monday. The 6-foot-10 big man out of New York could be the top center in the class when the rankings are updated. He was the No. 3 overall player in the 2014 class before making the jump to 2013.  Johnson played with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist for a year at St. Patrick in New Jersey and spent his eighth grade season in Lexington at Sayre High School. He doesn’t hold an offer from UK but you can expect Cal to give him a look to fill in the paint for the 2013-14 season.

Tuesday is Election Day and that’s all we’re going to say about that. Happy voting.

Talk to you again in a few hours…

Article written by Drew Franklin

51 Comments for Kentucky wins the Battle on Broadway, 74-28

1. lol
    12:41 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Kenuckys got 3 PG’s 2 PF’s and 2 Center’s

2. names dont matter
    12:45 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

But everyone on the team acts like a wing, cept whitey

3. Linda Taylor
    12:54 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

The women’s game was more fun to watch than the men’s game. They looked like a swarm of bees on defense, forcing 46 turnovers from a very over-matched Bellarmine team. Our three newbies all gave a good account of themselves and will fit into MM’s system very nicely. We had six score in double figures while no one played over 24 minutes. Only 3 players logged as many as 20 minutes. This team is DEEP, quality deep. They started out the night cold but then warmed up nicely and finished shooting over 50% for the game. #40minutes is a very apt slogan for this team because that is exactly how they played tonight. Another fun season is ahead.

4. BCO
    1:24 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Ive lived in Middlesboro my entire life and had no idea about the Julius Maye thing either. Pretty cool though! That’s reason enough for him to be the one us Bell County folk cheer for the hardest.

5. blueblue
    1:37 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

It makes me nervous to hear Cal say “we’re not very good.” I’ve heard him down play his team a bit but never so bluntly. In all of his first three years he’d tell us how the team must improve but would always follow that up with “but I like my my team.”

6. Dave Telep
    1:49 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

In case anyone wants a chance to see the #1 player in the upcoming class and hopefully future cat. Andrew wiggins and Huntington High will take on Alice Lloyd ‘s JV team in pippa passes, ky on November 7th at 7:30. Coach Cal and Roy Williams are few of the many coaches/staff expected to be in attendance. If possible show up and bombard the kid with BBN gear, if we could land him we will have the chance of 6 players in the first round of the 2014 draft and better odds of winning another national championship than we did with the class of MKG & Anthony Davis.

7. SeaCat
    2:16 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Wilt is hopeless, sorry to say.
    Harrow has to improve rapidly,
    but I don’t think so, after what
    Cal said on All Access and the
    fact he has been here for a year.
    This is a 5 man team…
    Cal did it last year with only 6.
    He can do it this year with only 5!!!

8. dumb
    2:32 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

7… dude, you’re an idiot

9. truth.com
    2:39 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

this is cal weakest team since coming to UK…and he knows it.

10. NBA Draft
    2:54 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

9 – Cal’s “weakest team since coming to UK” has 6 future NBA players. How many future pros does your team have? This team is going to be just fine.

11. UKGrad04
    3:09 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I agree this is probably Cal’s “weakest” team since coming to UK, but that doesn’t mean the sky still isn’t the limit. This team has a ton of upside, and when you consider how weak the rest of the country is, I like our odds.

12. Donald
    4:36 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

What Matt always says. You aren’t comparing this years team to last years competition simply because last year is in the past. This year the competition is no where near as strong as it was last year. So yeah we aren’t as great of a team as we were last year. But we may not have to be. Honestly our only issue will be IU and possibly UNC

13. Bronco Bama
    5:30 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I like to shoot some hoops.

14. tdogg40330
    5:33 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

10) Thankyou …. I really like the potential of this team. Tall, athletic and can shoot …
    whats not to like??

15. Big Whoop
    5:48 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

When Cal says we’re not very good, he means right now. He’s right, but you can see the potential is there for another championship. It is obvious to me that they’ve concentrated on defense which will get better. Offensively, there are spacing and timing issues that will get resolved as the season wears on.

Right now I would venture to say that Cauley-Stein will go higher in the draft than Noel. That kid hustles and he is better defending out on the floor than he is under the basket. Noel is going to develop, of course. At this point, with this young team, you have to be rubbing your hands in anticipation of March. They are only going to get better, but I’m not expecting much in the first two games other than two great learning experiences.

16. old_school
    6:58 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

There are young people in uniforms who sacrificed everything so you can vote. Make sure you get to the polls!

17. RealCatsFan
    7:13 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Willie will be sporting a football helmet after getting posterized on that dunk. That moment right there was probably that Transy player’s all time moment in life. 🙂

18. question
    7:15 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Who are the idiot scouts that have harrow in the first round? He weighs 150 pounds and cannot dribble.

19. [email protected]
    7:16 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I hope the mays injury is worse than what is being reported.

20. The Grim Reaper
    7:45 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#19 – And I’m sitting here keeping an eye on my watch, wondering how much longer it’ll be before you suffocate from having your head too far up your ass.

21. coach search
    7:54 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Your RIGHT old school. However, an uninformed voter is useless, that’s how we get people like Obama elected

22. Cool hand Luke
    8:03 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#21 right on!

23. Joe
    8:04 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

#19, and I hope you have an acne problem your whole life. Go back to your momma’s basement.

24. Bob
    8:08 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Save our future, try to stop someone in VA and Ohio from voting for Obama today

25. Lloyd Christmas
    8:12 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

A vote for Romney is a vote for freedom!!!!!

26. Rixter
    8:12 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I don’t care how much fun they’re going to be, you should never beat another team by 80 points. It’s as embarrassing for UK as it is humiliating for the Bellarmine girls.

27. Rixter
    8:15 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Let me jump on the political bandwagon here… I think if you’re happy with gas prices, the housing market, food prices, the growing national deficit, and the unemployment rate, you should by all means vote for Obama, cuz you’ll know exactly what you’re getting: status quo.

28. Rixter
    8:18 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I must be the only person out of bed this early…one more comment:

I think it’s a distinct possibility (based on what I’ve seen so far) that Archie Goodwin could lead the team in scoring, rebounding, and possibly blocked shots. He’s gooooood!

29. Blue Jesus
    8:21 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

That Mays near injury got me thinking, we’ve been pretty lucky with injuries so far in Calipari’s tenure here. The worst thing I can think of off the top of my head is John Wall’s cramps. I know Hood and one of the walk-ons had bad injuries last year, but I’m mainly talking about contributors.

30. theSkinny81
    8:24 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

27 – lol…. im sure ol’ G. Dubya had no part in making that mess whatsoever….

31. MattD
    8:29 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Never going to vote for a Mormon.

32. 3 fan
    8:38 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Pretty harsh on Wiltjer weren’t ya Drew? I like the starting Five in the second half. Bring Harrow and Wiltjer off the bench. Wiltjer is going to be a 4 yr player

33. reedwizard
    8:40 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Dakari Johnson should’ve stayed in the 2014 class. It’s so loaded he’s going to get overlooked, and for us, he is not athletic enough to leap frog any of the current bigs we are hoping for in the class. I’ll take Gordon or Randle with Wiggins, period! These kids have got to know that they can’t come here if they reclassify. Come on down Gordon! (I don’t want to wait until spring and have Julius get a wild hair). Go CATS!

34. NKY_UK_fan
    8:42 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Poythress didn’t do much.

35. youknow
    8:48 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

All you say about Willie Cauley-Stein is he got dunked on? No mention of his amazing steals, blocks, great hustle plays? You remember he was named player of the game right?

36. coach search
    8:52 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

@31 what about voting for a terrorist, you have that option in this election.

37. Al B. Frank
    8:55 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I think the team has a lot of potential. I’m looking forward to seeing the improvements throughout the season. One thing I noticed, in my opinion Archie needs to learn to share the ball more instead of trying to score every time. I saw a few plays where he was heavily guarded and other players were open, yet he still tried to do it himself. Also, I doubt there is much hope for Hood. I had hoped to see an improvement in him, but it appeared to me as if he were running around with no direction during the times he was in. Most of the time he was wide open, but the UK players had no intention of getting him the ball and the Transy players had no interest in guarding him.

38. Jordan
    8:57 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone have a link to the clip of Rash dunking on us? Big moment on the live blog but I haven’t seen it yet.

39. notsurprised
    8:59 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

30) You are a stupid liberal. Blaming Bush 4 years later is pretty sad. Then again, Barry has no record to run on. We vote the idiot out today.

40. Al B. Frank
    9:00 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Is there any place on the net where I can go and not have to filter through idiots spewing their uninformed political opinions. I voted for the people I felt most strongly about. Now its done. This is a place to discuss UK sports.

41. Wildcat3331
    9:00 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Screw it, Romney’s done for. CAIN/PALIN2016!

42. Richmond
    9:03 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

43. Smart Guy
    9:16 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

They are going to auction off Anthony Davis and MKG? I thought they had already been sold to New Orleans and Charlotte.

44. UNEDUCATED HICKS
    9:23 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

we are alls gonna be pissed off tomorrow. and we sure as heck aint gonna use the next 4 years to become informed and educate ourselves. nope we’s gonna stay angry and bitter and make up more BS to validate our opinions. yay.

45. yepyep
    9:25 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

@ Al B. Frank…… you speak the truth… and being nice about it. Its much worse than that. Not only are they uninformed, they truly are scary stupid. These people walk among us!!!!!!

46. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    9:43 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

27-18 at half but don’t worry about getting shit right.

47. Carl
    10:10 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

WCS is going to be a beast. I suspect most 6’6″ guys could take a 7 footer off the dribble but the steals and the hustle plays are what i will remembr from this game….and not to get too political but people voted for Obama 4 years ago because the country was in the crapper and they hoped he could pull it out. Unfortunately, he acted like every other politician and listened to the idiots. Most economist will tell you that a large part of our debt is due to the Iraq-Afghan wars and the tax cuts introduced by GWB.

48. Al B. Frank
    10:26 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

Just for the record, last year’s Cats (the team that went on to win the National Title) beat pretty much this same Transy team in an exhibition by 44 points. This year’s UK squad… won by 46.

49. how about
    10:43 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

The only human being on this planet that can get a group of high profile, strong willed, diverse, top one percent individuals to work as a team is Coach Cal.
    I say let Congress submit legislation to Cal and his staff for adjustments and approval/veto. Let the two Presidential candidate make speaches. Keeps them happy and harmless.

50. Write In
    11:33 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

I wrote in John Calipari as president on my ballot. Let’s hope he wins!

51. DT in DC
    11:47 am November 6, 2012 Permalink

The telethon got some love this morning on the local ABC station here in DC. I was completely shocked for them to do a segment on it during their morning news! I loved it!