Kentucky Volleyball Ranked #13 Nationally

Photo via UKAthletics.

As we spend the week eagerly anticipating the start of football season, and also trying to spend as much time as possible on Euclid and Rose for a whole different type of recruitment than we normally cover, it’s important to note that another Kentucky sports team is starting their season in just a few days as well.  And this one’s ranked in the top 15.

Indeed, the UK Volleyball team starts their season in just over a week, and was recently ranked 13th in the country, good for best in the SEC.  Tennessee and Florida are also the top 20.

Kentucky will start the season on the 24th of this month, and will face Louisville shortly thereafter, on August 29th, at the Yum! Center.  Unsurprisingly, Louisville is not currently ranked.  I expect a bloodbath, ladies.  Please.

Trust me, Wildcat volleyball is a ton of fun to watch, and this team looks to be one of the best in school history.  If you didn’t get to the Sweet Sixteen games last season in Memorial, then you really missed out.  The Wildcats fell short against Texas, but still had a great year, and are looking to duplicate that success again if not exceed it.  It really would be worthwhile to carve out some time to go see them this year.  Volleyball is one of those sports that everybody thinks they’re good at until they see people who are actually good at it play.  Then you realize just how hard it is, and how fun it can be to watch.  These girls are good, and the matches are a blast.

So yes, football is coming, and we have plenty of reasons to get excited for that.  Many of those reasons are “tailgating,” but that doesn’t mean we can’t get behind the team.  And while you do, take some time for the volleyball team as well; try to make it to a game or two, and I assure you, you won’t regret it.

Article written by Corey Nichols

23 Comments for Kentucky Volleyball Ranked #13 Nationally

1. Rockfield, KY
    9:04 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

You’re right. Everyone thinks they’re good at volleyball if they’re athletic. Then they play people who know what they’re doing and get embarrassed. It’s like golf, if you don’t know the rules, you can’t possibly even compete.

2. Dickie Z
    9:08 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

I love volleyball shorts!

3. kyeric
    9:13 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

Andy Kennedy has done a terrific job coaching our women’s volleyball team. He deserves so much more credit!

4. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    9:20 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

That does look fun to watch.

5. Nick Papageorgio
    9:26 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

I feel like you could have gotten a much better picture for this. #volleyballshorts

6. Devastation inc
    9:37 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

lame

7. Dickie Z
    9:37 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

#5 Yeah! – Corey Nichols sucks again!

8. iustillsuks
    9:48 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

Many volleyball chicks are really hot. Love them thick legs. And that pic is not very good. Our ladies are fine. Especially the blonde one.

9. Tom
    9:52 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

Oh dear, the football only fans are going to go nuts….no other sport is supposed to be good before football

10. hawkeyetim
    10:12 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

This article leds to a curious debate about Mitch Barnhart. Every head coach hire (except Joker) has been extremely successful—Volleyball, Softball, Baseball, Soccer, and, of course, Men’s basketball. Does Joker’s poor performance overshawdow all of Mitch’s great decisions in other sports?

11. catGrad7072
    10:18 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

10: Considering MB was practically forced into hiring Cal, yes it does.

12. Steve Fitts
    10:19 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

We have the “three-goggles” gesture in basketball. Would somebody please come up with a hand gesture for “spike!”

13. Real Cats Fan
    10:32 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

#1, yes, you do see that frequently. I have been playing in fairly competitive mens leagues for 25 years, and back before I got as old and creaky as I am now, it was fun to school some of the young athletic pups who thought they could dominate on sheer athletic ability. Now I can’t move quite as quick or jump as high as I did ten years ago, but it is still fun to play. They have watered down the rules a lot since I started – now just about any type of contact is allowed. I hate to see that.

As far as fun to watch, if anyone watched the men’s and women’s indoor during the olympics and did not come away impressed by the speed and athleticism of the game, then I don’t know what you were watching. Most of these athletes are every bit as fit and serious as many NBA players. And yes, I agree, “bun huggers” (AKA “volleyball shorts”) rule!

#12 – I would submit a hand smack across the forehead would suffice. In volleyball logo, a well placed, hard hit ball off of an opponent’s noggin is known as a “facial” or a “six-pack” (taken from a pro beach player back in the day who would offer up a 6-pack as a bounty for such a hit).

14. Bruce Pearl
    10:43 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

That picture is making me feel funny in my private area.

15. Rod
    10:46 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

I think the hand gesture should be the “Shocker”

16. TonydelksArms
    11:03 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

I think I seen a labia

17. cracka
    11:17 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

they rank women’s volleyball? really? across the entire country? that’s gotta be a tough job

18. why
    11:25 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

Why does this site “moderate” some messages and not others?

ksr, yall silly!

19. Case Clay
    11:27 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

Kudos to Coach Skinner for what he has done with this program. Looking forward to seeing as many home games as possible. Corey is right, if you haven’t gone, you’re missing out! Lots of fun, excitement and energy.

20. waaldcats
    11:33 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

They are number one in my heart.

21. WestPointCard
    11:57 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

Great. to see the University having success in athletics.

22. HicksPickSix
    12:54 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Add Voleyball to the long list of sports Corey Nichols knows nothing about…

23. Real Cats Fan
    11:05 am August 17, 2012 Permalink

22, at least you have to give Corey credit for knowing how to spell “volleyball”. Duh.