Kentucky Turns Down Trip To Maui

Everybody could go for a trip to Hawaii, right? Everyone that is except for Coach Cal. Team are invited to play in the tournament on a four year rotation but according to Jerry Tipton Kentucky turned down an invitation that would have had them playing in Maui in 2014. Cal has said before that he isn’t a fan of playing in the three games in three day tournaments and that:

He did not see any compelling benefit for Kentucky to play in Maui during Thanksgiving week.

As long as Cal is our coach don’t go booking any trips to our 50th state. Despite playing every chance we’ve had since 1993 it doesn’t look like we will head out west again anytime soon. At least all those trips to tournaments held in casinos and split apart like the “tournament” we played in Brooklyn this year are just as good, right? Right?

Tipton laid out some good reasons why UK has nothing to gain from taking a bid but it’s always been a great tournament to watch year in and year out. What are your thoughts upon hearing this news?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

39 Comments for Kentucky Turns Down Trip To Maui

1. Knoxville Cat
    6:36 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

I prefer the games played in domes

2. MemphisCat
    6:40 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

“In Cal We Trust”

3. We Hang Banners
    6:41 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Whos really cares. The only game that matters is at the end.

4. Sam
    6:44 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

The only tourney Cal likes is the one that counts. As a fan, I like to see Cats play in Pre Season NIT, Maui, Coaches vs. Cancer, etc. The only reason I can think of is that Cal doesn’t want to expose his team that early while in building mode. Yet he likes playing big names (Duke, KU, MSU contact).

5. Ec
    6:45 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Have been last two times and its hard to beat the venue coupled with 80 degrees on Thanksgiving

6. yevkazim
    6:45 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Very dissapointing news. I realize that this might not be the best format for a young team, but this is a nice vacation for BBN to go see the cats, and I think it is something that players must enjoy as well.

7. KBF
    6:47 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Boooooo! I was finally going to get to go to that one! Come on Cal!

8. BravoBigBlue
    6:50 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Not sure how I feel about it. Never been to one and never will. Hang #9 next year and I’ll get over the 2014 team not goig to Maui.

9. Funky Monkey
    6:58 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Hawaii is just too far for players and fans,… they should play at the Atlantis/Bahamas tournament that UofL and Duke played in this year,… what was that? , maybe 3 hour plane flight?, same 80 degree weather and beaches,…

10. Shelbyjoe
    6:59 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

My wife is gonna be mad, i told her next time uk plays in maui, we’d go

11. Otis
    7:04 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t Cal take Memphis to Hawaii and beat Kentucky and many UK fans said he was a cheater?

12. ukjonny9
    7:08 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

10- How ironic. After reading this I told my wife that i was finally giving in and taking her next time. Gonna be a good night.

13. Section 133
    7:10 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Anybody that goes to Maui to spend time in that sweaty, bandbox gym is nuts. Spend your time on the Hana Highway, Haleakala, the Io Needle and snorkeling.

14. fireants25
    7:12 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

that sucks! i went to the knight/jones/jorts one and was going to this one as well…damn that was an awesome time…Crazy how our 1st and last losses of that year came both basically in title games.

Bummed out

15. rexwright
    7:24 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

#2 What he said!!

16. your daddy
    7:25 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky should not be taking one-and-done on cushie trips anywhere, especially Hawaii.

17. raekwon
    7:29 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, this is a load of horse ‘spit.’ Just like how I would like to play Indiana in fball, but the AD said that was boring and put a 1-AA team on the schedule. Madness.

18. Roland
    7:38 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

In the above story, HL has taken down from the post above this link “but according to Jerry Tipton “: yields a 404 page:

19. Roland
    7:40 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

still found here with this link:

So if KSR links, HL puts it on another page?

20. Roland
    7:41 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

On further review there might be something wrong with the ksr link.

21. Mauiwildcat
    7:43 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

That really sucks bc I am from Lexington and I currently live in Lahaina!! The gym is less than 5 mins from me. I was the guy at the invitational last year behind the benches sporting my UK gear to every game! Come in coach cal!! I have even recruited some of the people of maui to become Uk fans!! #changecoachcalsmind#mauiwildcat#aloha#BBN

22. Tim Kathlina
    7:45 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Coach doesn’t have is body yet ready for the beach, so pass this year. Word is however, he is doing the TapOut workout, so I expect us to be in Maui next time.

23. Spurious
    8:01 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Maui is a recruiting tourney for nearly all the programs that go regularly. Cal, obviously, needs help recruiting. So, he should go, right? On the other hand, it is a players programs and, I am guessing, after coach polled the players it was determined none of them wanted to go to Hawaii.

24. Will
    8:14 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Cal wants to play in season “tournament” games in big arenas, not the hotel ballroom in Cancun or the Maui invitational gym. He wants his team to get used to the huge final four-esque arenas to be best prepared for the NCAAs

25. slingblade
    8:45 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

most of the kids would rather be home for thanksgiving…players first

26. Pacific Rim
    8:47 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Been there, most laid back place on the planet. My guess is Cal doesn’t want players reminiscing about the sun and surf and hangin’ loose when they’ve got UNC, Maryland, Baylor, UL, Duke and the SEC/Big East Challenge on the schedule before they even get to the SEC schedule to catch a breather (?) against UF, UT, Vandy, etc. There’s no time for jet lag this year.

27. Bo
    9:21 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Screw Hawaii……………..and Alaska

28. Pamola
    9:25 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m VERY disappointed. I have been to Maui every single time UK has played in the tourney and it doesn’t get any better. It’s the best, most fun, pre-season tournament that UK plays in, not to mention it’s in the most amazing location. I look forward to going every 4 years. Guess I’ll have to go without the Cats. 🙁 I’m pretty bummed about this but I expected it because Coach Cal said when we were over there in 2010 that he didn’t want to go back. I just hoped he would change his mind.

29. Swoony
    9:33 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

That’s a big poop sandwich. #CalFail

30. BigBlue
    10:20 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Screw Maui. No reason to go all the way over there.

31. EasyE523
    10:25 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

I can see the vulnerability of players getting hurt in such an exhausting weekend at the beginning of the season.

32. James Wilson
    10:26 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

UK is the best period… as long as other good teams are playin in the maui then we should too… if its top level competition then we should go reguardless just for the level of play… if its not then I can understand the reasons behind not going….

33. Cheryl
    10:32 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

My first time in Hawaii 2010. Wonderful trip. Great games. Enjoyed watching Cats in a small venue. Sorry I wont get to go back.

34. Tampa Satchel
    11:26 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

Cal knows that this team will only be vulnerable in their first few games. No sense in risking an undefeated season by taking them to Hawaii. Let them gel as a team before any big tests.

35. BigBlue92
    12:33 am April 28, 2013 Permalink

This is BS. Cal has had a flawless relationship with the fan base, except his huge gaffs re h
    The SEC tournament and now Maui. I also had planned to take my wife this next time. Incredibly disappointed.

36. Louisville Cat
    11:19 am April 28, 2013 Permalink

Some people (# 34) think this is about this coming years team. November 2014 is the trip to Maui Cal has turned down. It’s an awesome trip for the fans. I’ve been there in 2006 and 2010. I was sure Cal was thru with the Maui tourney but there was always hope. Guess I’ll never go back either.

37. Walden
    11:23 am April 28, 2013 Permalink

It’s been said time and time again. He wants his teams to play in large venues so they can get a feel for where they’re going to be playing in the NCAA tourny. How on earth could Calipari say IU’s sh*thole gym isn’t good enough, he wants to play at a larger venue at indianapolis then turn around the next year and say an even more sh*thole gym like the one at maui is ok for his team?

Seems very consistant to me.

38. BBNinHawaii
    3:41 pm April 28, 2013 Permalink

Just moved to Hawaii from Lexington in 2012, and had plans to watch the Cats in 2014. Bummed I won’t get the opportunity.

39. TalkingOutBothSides
    5:53 pm April 28, 2013 Permalink

Calipari always references what the NBA does, what the NBA does not. Well the NBA plays on holidays and the players better get used to it.